What's new

China announces $178.2 billion military budget

china not has overseas military bases so this less budget is justified, on the other hands if the country is developing weapons indigenously then military spending in u.s dollars not matter much as china has much lower wages of labor in defense industry as compared to u.s,similar is case with russia

That's not true. China does have bases overseas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_overseas_military_bases

Not as many as US, of course, but as China expands its footprint, it will slowly amass bases. This is what superpowers do.

China announces $178.2 billion military budget
By: Mike Yeo   1 day ago
defense budget in the world, behind only the United States.

Despite the growth of China’s defense budget being at its lowest, in percentage terms, since the early 1990s, the 6.6 percent figure only represents a slightly lower figure than the 7-7.5 percent growth many analysts estimated before the pandemic. In real dollar terms, the $11 billion increase in defense spending is the fifth-highest increase ever for the country.

It also shows that China is determined that the People’s Liberation Army, or PLA, will remain insulated as much as possible from the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which resulted in China’s economy shrinking by 6.8 percent in the first quarter of 2020 compared to the same time last year.

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said as much during his speech Friday at the opening of the annual gathering of its largely rubber stamp parliament. He pledged that the PLA would not be worse off.

“We will deepen reforms in national defense and the military, increase our logistic and equipment support capacity, and promote innovative development of defense-related science and technology,” he told legislators at the opening of the National People’s Congress, which kicked off Friday at the Great Hall of the People in China’s capital, Beijing.

Li also touched on the issue of Taiwan during his speech, reiterating that China would “resolutely oppose and deter any separatist activities seeking Taiwan independence.” He also called on the Taiwanese people to “join the mainland in opposing Taiwanese independence and to promote reunification."

China views Taiwan as a breakaway province, with the self-governing island off its coast having formed its own government in 1949 when Nationalist forces fled there following defeat at the hands of Communists during China’s civil war.

Get the defense industry's most comprehensive news and information straight to your inbox
Perhaps tellingly, Li dropped the use of the word “peaceful” when talking of reunification with Taiwan, a departure from decades of using it as the standard expression Chinese leaders used when addressing parliament and mentioning Taiwan. Although China has never renounced the possible use of force for reunification efforts.

Li’s call for reunification came as U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper reaffirmed that the country would stand by Taiwan. Speaking on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show, Esper said the U.S. would “certainly live up to our commitments to Taiwan,” noting that it is also bound by the Taiwan Relations Act enacted by Congress, which pledges to supply Taiwan with weapons it needs for its defense.

Esper’s dark vision for US-China conflict makes war more likely
If Defense Secretary Mark Esper’s grim vision becomes reality, American troops may soon be fighting China, embarking on a new and far larger conflict that would make Afghanistan look like child’s play.

By: Bonnie Kristian
Accordingly, the U.S. State Department announced Thursday that it has approved the sale of an additional 18 heavyweight submarine torpedoes to Taiwan for $180 million. The Mk 46 Mod 6 Advanced Technology torpedoes will equip Taiwan’s submarine fleet, and the approval follows another for 48 similar weapons in 2017.

Taiwan has reported that Chinese military activity around the island continues unabated throughout the ongoing pandemic, with Chinese naval vessels and military aircraft regularly operating in international airspace and waters around Taiwan.

China calls the movements routine training exercises. However, the island’s government sees these moves as part of an intimidation campaign against Taiwan and regularly publicizes PLA ship and aircraft movements in its vicinity.
https://www.defensenews.com/global/...china-announces-1782-billion-military-budget/

That is WAYYYYY More than even what Russia spends. China is now truely a superpower set to become the world's FIRST EVER Global hyper power in the coming decades.

well if you take a look at the mega naval projects

Type 055
Carriers
Type 052DL
Type 054A ok finished but next iteration
Type 056 concluded
Type 071 to 8 units
2 x LHD
2 x Fast tankers Type 901

and one thing we dont pay attention to is the SSN and SSBN fleet, they suck resources and money

the Air Force has the Z20 and H20 projects

don't be disappointed; our primary goal is to take over US economy as soon as possible (while it also deters US military in Asia); our government is very smart; we are NOT soviet union; our economy is still one of the world's most fastest growing (and the highest among the global powers); we must put our most budget on economic development so then we would have much bigger budget next year; note that US budget was about $4 trillion last year and about $0.7 trillion of those spent for military expenditure (over 15% of US budget); clearly, US has unnecessarily overspent for the less productive industry; defence industry is not growing now and it has much less effect on economy than growing industries like electric vehicle, drone, 5G communication, or solar power; so we're on right way; don't worry my friend

so you believe what your foe (US) say? and don't believe your old friend (china)?
honestly we NEVER have any purposely unannounced budget; actually we can't
it's just another US media against its foe :disagree::disagree::disagree:

what good is having a large economy if you cannot safeguard it? think of it as insurance. it is expensive but you can't afford to not have it.

The defence spending of China on a per capita basis is still very low in the world standard. Based on the current rate of growth (~6%), it will take decades to reach the same level as where US spends right now, which is 10+ times more on a per capita basis. There are still a lot room to grow and catch up with.

Take infantry equipment as an example, US and Western counting general spent way more to equip each infantryman and nicer gears.
779D47DD-EB16-4F18-8046-7781A1253D68.jpeg

I would want to see China spend more in space than military. When comes to military, China is already on par with US on most equipment except F-35 VSTOL.

CZ-9 rocker development need to speed up with huge expenditure.

they steal from countries this is locly
Lol.. like how China steal 5G from others and file patent, right?

In terms of military

DF-21D ASBM
DF-41 ICBM
055 destroyer
096 shaftless SSN
first ship tested railgun

May I know where do they steal from?

The defence spending of China on a per capita basis is still very low in the world standard. Based on the current rate of growth (~6%), it will take decades to reach the same level as where US spends right now, which is 10+ times more on a per capita basis. There are still a lot room to grow and catch up with.

Take infantry equipment as an example, US and Western counting general spent way more to equip each infantryman and nicer gears.
View attachment 635536
our infantry system is on its way.

what good is having a large economy if you cannot safeguard it? think of it as insurance. it is expensive but you can't afford to not have it.
Nope; we have had enough strong military power to safeguard ourselves since the national foundation of 1949; and it was decisively proven against US during the Korean War of the early 1950s; since then US NEVER attacked our core interest and the blance of power stays till today; this is another proof of our strong military power enough to safeguard our interest; please note that we NEVER agree with US or western in matters of view:disagree::disagree::disagree:
we don't care the defence spending per capita and it's not even important; US spent over trillion dollars in wars against Iraq and Afghanistan but it eventually lost or ran:lol::lol::lol: we've been always doing what's enough to safeguard our interest and that is the most important; please note that we only do what we really need to do;

many fake chineses are on this forum including the two in the above; otherwise are the betrayed or misbelieved by US media:disagree::disagree::disagree:

they steal from countries this is locly
STEALING is the act monopolized by the USA and its few allies. Just look again on how the US stole the GOLD RESERVES from IRAQ, SYRIA, LIBYA, UKRAINE. Or UK stole the GOLD RESERVES from VENEZUELA!

Mind you that the US can print the GRC confetti (i.e. the usd) at will, or the GB can print the pound as it wishes but both of them CANNOT print the GOLD BAR, thus they MUST steal or confiscate others` physical bullion by force!

Those are the real acts of STEALING!! Look straightly, don't be confused by the Five-Eyes propaganda media or programming…

#GOLD #BULLION

many fake chineses are on this forum including the two in the above; otherwise are the betrayed or misbelieved by US media:disagree::disagree::disagree:

Yes for sure ... and you are the only TRUE and REAL Chinese with the TRUE and REAL facts, even if they contradict everything from reliable posters like @LKJ86 (I'm sure you will accuse them too as being "fake chineses").

:drag: Not sure what You are smoking but You are always funny ... :omghaha:

I would want to see China spend more in space than military. When comes to military, China is already on par with US on most equipment except F-35 VSTOL.

CZ-9 rocker development need to speed up with huge expenditure.

Lol.. like how China steal 5G from others and file patent, right?

In terms of military

DF-21D ASBM
DF-41 ICBM
055 destroyer
096 shaftless SSN
first ship tested railgun

May I know where do they steal from?
I think we are still behind with nuclear carriers, until I see one, we are still behind. We are also behind in jet engines, until I see WS15, I will not be satisfied and of course VSTOL jets. Submarines, we need 096 ASAP, if its operational, then it would be a game changer.

I think we have a 4:1 cost advantage. We can out produce the US easily and then add in 5 years for operational experience. Then we are good to go. It will take at least another 15 years to reach near parity.

I think we are still behind with nuclear carriers, until I see one, we are still behind. We are also behind in jet engines, until I see WS15, I will not be satisfied and of course VSTOL jets. Submarines, we need 096 ASAP, if its operational, then it would be a game changer.

I think we have a 4:1 cost advantage. We can out produce the US easily and then add in 5 years for operational experience. Then we are good to go. It will take at least another 15 years to reach near parity.

China is massively behind the US in some areas. Let me explain:

1. Type-095 SSN may be targeted to get to Seawolf levels of capability. That is 25 year advantage that US has.

2. WS-15 may have the same T/W ratio as F-22s F-119 engine but without it's reliability. Assuming that WS-15 is installed by 2025, then we have 20 year gap with US and still not the reliability.

As far as engines and SSN tech is concerned the Chinese are decades behind the US.

1. Type-095 SSN may be targeted to get to Seawolf levels of capability. That is 25 year advantage that US has.

2. WS-15 may have the same T/W ratio as F-22s F-119 engine but without it's reliability. Assuming that WS-15 is installed by 2025, then we have 20 year gap with US and still not the reliability.

wow very impressive detailed analysis, did you get a chance to inspect those American/ future Chinese submarines & future aicraft engines or something? because you sound quite sure of what you said.

Back
Top Bottom