What's new

China and Israel: similar or different? Jerusalem Post

Like I said it is probably a stretch to say China and Israel is similar but I have been struck by one thing. The relative social position of Jewish in Medieval Europe and the Chinese diaspora in South East Asia.

Both Jews and Chinese were more enterprising and harder working than the native populations of Medieval Europe and SE Asia respectively. Both came to financially dominate the countries they resided in. Both were resented for their success and ethnicity. Both were persecuted and periodically purged by the native population.

That's right.

In fact, Chinese people have often been called the "Jews of Asia"... in a very derogatory way.

'Jews of the East'

Ethnic Chinese have settled in South-East Asia for centuries, but most today are descendants of 19th century migrants from southern China.

Some 80 years ago, Thailand's King Rama VI called the Chinese the "Jews of the East". Across the region, they have faced much discrimination, often deeply resented for their wealth. In Manila, the community are often targeted by kidnappers.

Today, they are effectively the region's business class, controlling the bulk of listed companies in the region's stock markets - more than 80% in Thailand and Singapore, 62% in Malaysia, about 50% in the Philippines. In Indonesia, they control more than 70% of corporate wealth - although some dispute this figure.

The Chinese have faced similar segregation policies and laws controlling property to the Jews, notes south-east Asian expert Professor Amy Freedman, from the US Franklin and Marshall College.

BBC News Article - Chinese in South-East Asia

People might have heard of the fact, that almost half a million ethnic Chinese were slaughtered in ethnic riots in Indonesia, and a similar thing happened in Malaysia as well. In Indonesia, ethnic Chinese were not even allowed to keep their Han Chinese names, until very recently.

Well good forboth China and Israel.

However, one thing I notice is that Pakistanis in general never talk about or dont seem to know how close Chinese Israeli relations are. Their bilateral trade is more than India's and China has brought more defence tech in dollar terms overall from Israel than India. Still no conspiracy theories like the India has abandoned Palestinians or the more crazy Indo-Israeli axis is regularly brought out.

This is despite the fact that India has been consistently more involveddiplomatically and particularly economically in supporting the Palestinians than the Chinese ever have.

Hypocrisy is what some people would say.

However, one thing I notice is that Pakistanis in general never talk about or dont seem to know how close Chinese Israeli relations are. Their bilateral trade is more than India's and China has brought more defence tech in dollar terms overall from Israel than India. Still no conspiracy theories like the India has abandoned Palestinians or the more crazy Indo-Israeli axis is regularly brought out.

This is despite the fact that India has been consistently more involveddiplomatically and particularly economically in supporting the Palestinians than the Chinese ever have.

we have bought more?

our only major deal was blocked by USA and then we made something better ourselves.

I would call it: Supporting your allies. :cheers:

Having a business relationship between China and Israel, in which China buys Israeli weapons, is hardly the same as supporting Israel in a moral/religious/diplomatic sense.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom