What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

I have yet to meet a Bengali that doesn't like fish. They grow up with the love of river-food and sea food. Who can blame them, nothing hits the spot quite like a good fish dish.

Bhortas are great yup, you must make friends with Bengalis and they will take you to have some good homemade specialities and definitely bhortas will be there....it is staple in their cuisine.

@scorpionx I told you the iceberg would be explored past just the tip ;)

Yah Trevor normally makes good effort to learn some basics of the language wherever he goes. He is Canadian based out of China (went there to learn Chinese cooking and ended up travel+vlogging instead) and knows chinese almost fluently (at least 3 - 4 times better than I do at least)....so he is obv good at languages!

When he was in TN, I remember he learned/picked up some simple Tamil phrases (again to get around easy and approach ppl easy)....rest of India he also spoke some basic Hindi etc.....because he knows making even a little effort to impress those around him and be polite (esp in their own language) etc goes a long way. You know how we desis love it when foreign people do make effort to talk to us in our mother tongue :)

BTW, would you say its more appropriate to address "Vai" or "Mama" (like trevor says) with the shopkeepers etc that are more close to your age whom you have just met?

Mama (beyond regular uncle meaning) I thought is for "elder bro" that is good friend of yours etc (just from what I know of interaction among my friends etc)

I don’t like fish. I prefer lamb.

I don’t like fish. I prefer lamb.
ayy :D
i prefer lamb over beef tbh... veal meat however is equally tasty

also ilish is highly over rated fish... i have eaten many varieties of it... the bengali one, the kuwaiti one... the baby, the oversized adult.... but still it's meh in my opinion and too much work.... it's good when cooked with mustard but not as good as tuna, salmon, or the greatest of them all.... HAMOOR! which i don't know what it is called in bd.... mostly prepared as dry fish and exported to foreign countries in bangladesh... could be found in sheraton hotel menu however

ayy :D
i prefer lamb over beef tbh... veal meat however is equally tasty

also ilish is highly over rated fish... i have eaten many varieties of it... the bengali one, the kuwaiti one... the baby, the oversized adult.... but still it's meh in my opinion and too much work.... it's good when cooked with mustard but not as good as tuna, salmon, or the greatest of them all.... HAMOOR! which i don't know what it is called in bd.... mostly prepared as dry fish and exported to foreign countries in bangladesh... could be found in sheraton hotel menu however

Hammour I believe is 3 species of grouper found in the area (gulf):

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/envi...e-nyu-abu-dhabi-study-reveals-secret-1.100390

I dont think there is much equivalent name for it in Bengali:

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/editorials-columns/from-hilsa-to-hammour

In fact grouper seems to be new thing to Bengali area fish experience:

https://english.kolkata24x7.com/grouper-fish-complement-bhetki.html/

It is well known in South though...we use in famous curries like fish head curry. It must simply be the traditional breeding grounds locations and relative presence in the bay of bengal + indian ocean area.

The Simpsons predicted the indian pakistani tension escalation
Screenshot_20190303_213400.jpg

BTW guess whos back?

I found this video quite entertaining - informal sanitary bathroom fittings production in Bangladesh. Although I'd argue that neither production methods nor products are world class, they are very sufficient for local use price-wise and selection-wise.

I found this video quite entertaining - informal sanitary bathroom fittings production in Bangladesh. Although I'd argue that neither production methods nor products are world class, they are very sufficient for local use price-wise and selection-wise.

tbh, most of the design style is poor in taste...
the best fittings in my opinion are from Grohe.... a german company...
also the scale of their prduction is not big neither efficient
so if they want to succeed, they will need more investment, new manufacturing techniques using CNC machines, quality control and then marketing....
this is why RAK ceramics is doing well abroad...

tbh, most of the design style is poor in taste...
the best fittings in my opinion are from Grohe.... a german company...
also the scale of their prduction is not big neither efficient
so if they want to succeed, they will need more investment, new manufacturing techniques using CNC machines, quality control and then marketing....
this is why RAK ceramics is doing well abroad...

Well when you have cheap labor, it can be cheaper than investing in CNC production methods. Look at the process of investment casting parts prior to machining, it is largely manual, you cannot automate that for anything. That is why GROHE made in Germany costs an arm and a leg (labor costs are super high there). Most of the crap I have in my house is GROHE made stateside in Georgia, the designs for US are totally different from that in Germany or EU.

All these guys need is design advice. Their designs are already cartridge based - instead of older valve technology.

By the way - everything sold in California for water dispensing use has to be 100% lead-free now.

Well when you have cheap labor, it can be cheaper than investing in CNC production methods. Look at the process of investment casting parts prior to machining, it is largely manual, you cannot automate that for anything. That is why GROHE made in Germany costs an arm and a leg (labor costs are super high there). Most of the crap I have in my house is GROHE made stateside in Georgia, the designs for US are totally different from that in Germany or EU.

All these guys need is design advice. Their designs are already cartridge based - instead of older valve technology.

By the way - everything sold in California for water dispensing use has to be 100% lead-free now.
seriously i;m super pissed about the fittings installed in our family appartment... i even sent personal product id to buy and the quantity needed... but my cheap *** relatives installed subpar fittings.... the common bathroom atleast has the tiles i chose, you'll vomit if you see how ghastly looking tiles have been installed in the master beroom toilet....

i guess i'll but some fitting myself if i find something broken when i go back for vacation

seriously i;m super pissed about the fittings installed in our family appartment... i even sent personal product id to buy and the quantity needed... but my cheap *** relatives installed subpar fittings.... the common bathroom atleast has the tiles i chose, you'll vomit if you see how ghastly looking tiles have been installed in the master beroom toilet....

i guess i'll but some fitting myself if i find something broken when i go back for vacation

I don't think it has sunk in into the South Asian psyche, how important Bathrooms need to be.

To most South Asians it is a place you don't sink a lot of money into. And it is perpetually wet and moldy/smelly.

To Westerners it is a sanctuary. And therefore, special.

Toilets and baths need to be modern, dry (outside the shower stall), efficient, sleek/uncluttered in design & aesthetics and no cost should be spared in achieving these goals, especially for the fittings (not that you would need a lot of money). After all - you won't be splurging every year on a new toilet, it is a thirty to forty year exercise. You will be looking at it everyday for that time period, better to design it well so you can live with it.

For me, this means a one-piece very quiet flush toilet (possibly nicer Japanese brands like Toto), a full-body massage showerhead, Zero-fog glass showerstall and a full complement of old fashioned shaving implements.

The Japanese have taken the toilet concept to new heights. Rather than go into details, they are computerized, temperature/sensor controlled. One has to experience it to believe it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom