What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

This thread is for Bangladeshi members who wants asks simple questions like "who's the guy in your avatar, which city do you live in, which team do you support". We can also talk about Bangladeshi Culture, TV shows, Domestic news.

If you want to ask a off-topic question like the ones as i mentioned above while you are discussing in a specific topic, do it here by mentioning. Thus we won't be polluting our threads.

For language; We can use Bangla but we'll also have to use English to inform non-Baengali members.[/QUOTE

since thid thred is only for Bangladeshi member, i don't know why other member replying here

Let them share their View

You guys are fairly new to the forum..back in the day overwhelming majority of BD members here were Jamaatis....now they are the minority.

Apparently there is a repeat-account problem right now....dunno the exact extent though (i.e what the % by actual different members)....but its definitely changed the flavour...most of the jamatis seem to have slunk away.

People, if you would be interested.. PM me and we can talk out the details.
I even do not know how to use facebook, let alone Whatsapp? How do you want to practically contribute to the nation if you are the PM?

Last edited:
How do you want to practically contribute to the nation if you are the PM?
That's a good question.
My priorities would be:
1. Improve the quality of education. Specially higher level education. It's a shame that in BD there is no opportunity to study in courses like nanotechnology, aeronautical engineering, cyber security etc.
2. Improve infrastructures. Fast track the metro rail projects. Improve the quality of roads. Build more and more roads and highways. Ban rickshaws in major cities. Lessen the tax on cars and motorbikes so more people can afford them.
3. Make the country more business friendly. Encourage setting up new business in the country. Give tax breaks to new businesses. Overall lessen corporate taxes a bit. Encourage industrialization.
4. Decentralization. Everything should not be in Dhaka. Move a lot of offices to other districts. Dhaka will remain the administrative capital but business capital will be moved away from Dhaka to Chittagong phase by phase.
5. Improve the power generation capacity. Set up a couple more nuclear power plants for a start.
6. Further increase the salaries and benefits of govt employees. And punish the most corrupt officials. Can't punish every corrupt official as they are too many and without them it would be impossible to run the country. But do punish the most corrupt ones. Hoping that it would reduce corruption.
7. I'd try to follow AL's foreign policies but the only change would be taking neutral stance/no stance in India-Pakistan matters.
8. Modernize the military. Procure modern weapons. And try to improve our own weapon manufacturing industry.
9. Get rid of the Quota system. For a start decrease the quota by 50% with immediate effect and after several year abolish it entirely.

Last edited:
The deal is simple, do not violate Forum Rules and enjoy PDF. (for everyone)

Hey, why would my post get deleted in Chill Bangladesh thread?

If you mean this one,,,,

এই আওয়ামীলীগ - বিএনপি,জামাত ময় বাংলাদেশি সাবফোরামে, আমি কি জাতীয় পার্টি? জাতি কি আমাকে মেনে নেবে ফ্রান্স?

The post is available.

The deal is simple, do not violate Forum Rules and enjoy PDF. (for everyone)

If you mean this one,,,,

এই আওয়ামীলীগ - বিএনপি,জামাত ময় বাংলাদেশি সাবফোরামে, আমি কি জাতীয় পার্টি? জাতি কি আমাকে মেনে নেবে ফ্রান্স?

The post is available.
My post about banning and mods biasness got deleted too. Not like I care.

My post about banning and mods biasness got deleted too. Not like I care.

With reference to the first part of your sentence, such posts are nothing and useless and does not values to add anything to the forum but inviting the troll fest as being personally aggrieved against the rightly served fractions. Furthermore, such kind of posts are also against the Forum Rules and Environment but still, if you have any issues, aggrieved members can contact GHQ Section.

Rest about if you care or not, it depends how you benefit from the forum like many others does and enjoy the most friendly yet productive and informative discussions. So, the conclusion is, it all depends that how we act, behave and treat others same as like whatever we expect for ourselves.

How to make the best chicken burger in town
  • Tribune Desk
  • Published at 02:29 PM May 19, 2017
  • Last updated at 01:09 PM May 20, 2017
Try this Chicken Burger recipe, as prepared by Sous Chef Banefus Gomes at the Four Points by Sheraton Dhaka Gulshan for Dining Week 2017

2:00 AM, May 19, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:12 AM, May 19, 2017
NATURE QUEST
Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
dolphin_2.jpg

A group of Dolphin at the Swatch of No-Ground in March. Photo: Isabela Foundation
Anisuzzaman Khan
Isabela Foundation, a philanthropic organisation working for nature conservation, in collaboration with Bangladesh Navy went on an expedition to Swatch of No-Ground in the Bay of Bengal in March to learn about the marine biota.

Swatch of No-Ground has a comparatively flat floor five to seven kilometres wide. At the edge of the shelf, depths in the trough are about 1,200 metres. It is globally famous for its cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises) population.

An Isabela exploration team discovered three rare species of marine wildlife -- Minke whale, a mammal, masked booby, a seabird, and gastropod, a marine mollusc.
Based on secondary information gathered from literature review, an orientation was conducted to sensitise the 13-member Isabela team “Quest for Sea and Life” in the capital prior to the voyage. Team leader Kabir Bin Anwar, director general at the Prime Minister's Office, and this author informed the team about the mission.

The team started the journey from Dhaka in the evening of March 22. The next morning it was welcomed by a school of Ganges River Dolphin breaching estuarine waters in Dhaingmari dolphin sanctuary at the Passur river.
Karotoa, a Bangladesh Navy ship that carried the team, left Mongla naval base later that morning and cruised through the Sundarbans to the destination. An introductory session about the mission, cruise route, methodology and safety aspects were conducted onboard by Kabir Bin Anwar, Sabbir, commander of Navy, and Shams, the captain of the ship.

The team was well equipped with necessary marine research gears and its members were from marine ecology, under water exploration, hydrology, ornithology, fisheries, blue economy and marine navigations. It was supported by a naval contingent of 80 members onboard.
The team members started taking notes of the field observation while cruising through the Sundarbans en route to Akram Point down to Hiron Point. It was very exciting to watch nature from the ship and the team stumbled upon different species of wild flora and fauna.

The bank of the river was full of diversity in floral composition which usually looks clustered of a specific plant community in each section, like Keya (pandanus) and Tiger fern; Golpata (Nipa palm); Sundari (Hereteria), Baen (Avicennia) groves; Keora (sonneratia); Geoa and Goaran community and so on.
Spotted deer were seen browsing at the open floor of Keora forest; monkeys on the fruiting trees like Baen and Choil; White-bellied Sea Eagle perching on the top of a tall Keora tree; Lesser Adjutant stork and Osprey together with other shorebirds wading at the open mudflats and sand dunes; Crested Serpent Eagle, Grey-headed Fish Eagle and Kestrel soaring up high; Ringed lizard on the crevices and tree holes along the bank of canals and rivers. Groups of Irrawaddy dolphins and Indo-Pacific Humpback dolphins were also seen leaping in the channel between Hiron Point and Akram Point.

It was the early morning of March 24 when the team found a pair of Bryde's whale splashing water fountain through their blow-hole. The sky was clear, the wind and the waves were modest and the water was blue at that time.
Everyone was exhilarated and feeling lucky to see the giant whale. The watchers on board were busy taking photos. The ship reduced its speed to avoid collision and maintained a safe distance so that the whales would not get annoyed.

We used binoculars and telescopes to track down marine lives. Crews of two TV channels also recorded videos. Our team members were given specific spots at the ship and asked to watch wildlife and keep records. The team took more than 2,000 images of Swatch of No-Ground. Later, all photographs were thoroughly checked and the images of species were identified. One such rare identification was Minke whale.
The common Minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) is the smallest baleen whale in the North Pacific. It is 7.5 metres in length when it is fully grown. It is known to feed on small schooling fish and invertebrates. It has 50 to 70 throat grooves on the underside of its body which can extend considerably when engulfing prey. Minke whales are most often solitary.

The masked booby (Sula dactylatra) is a large seabird of the booby family “Sulidae”. This species breeds on islands in tropical oceans, except in the eastern Atlantic. It is also called the masked gannet or the blue-faced booby. The team first spotted and photographed the bird flying over Swatch of No-Ground on March 24.
Cruising around 200km of marine water there, the Isabela team came across two species of whales, six species of dolphins, 10 species of seabirds, one species of sea turtle, 30 species fish, five species of shellfish and two species of seagrass. Striking among them are Minke Whale, Bryde's whale, Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin, Irrawaddy dolphin, Indo-Pacific Bottle-nose dolphin, Spinner dolphin, Masked booby, Great Black-headed gull, Crested Tern, Hawksbill turtle, Hammer-headed Shark, Tuna, Grouper and swimming crab.
A pair of live conch univalve mollusc got entangled in the fishing net. They were collected for identification and reference. The Isabela taxonomic group studied the specimen and identified them as Mirabilistrombus listeri (Gray, 1852), a group of conchs that are sometimes referred to as “true conchs”.

Swatch of No-Ground is a mysterious submarine canyon in the Bay of Bengal which is geologically, hydrologically and ecologically unexplored marine ecosystem on earth. A part of it was announced as the country's first Marine Protected Area (MPA) by the Ministry of Environment and Forest.
It spans approximately 672 square miles (1,738 square kilometres) and is more than 900 metres in depth in some locations. The area is a key breeding and spawning ground for dolphins, whales, sharks and turtles. The marine protected area was declared for the long-term protection of cetaceans that inhabit the waters offshore of Bangladesh.

Anisuzzaman Khan is the chief adviser Isabela Foundation.

12:00 AM, May 20, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:26 AM, May 20, 2017
The Fish Habit
fish_habit.jpg

A quartet of hilsa. Photo: Ihtisham Kabir
Ihtisham Kabir

Most Bengalis – yours truly included - love fish. We love the variety of flavours and textures that fish offers. Perhaps it is geography: in this small land there are over 260 species of freshwater fish which live and breed in 24000 kilometres of waterways (we have 700 rivers and tributaries) as well as numerous ponds, haors, beels and fishponds.

For many of us the love of fish extends to catching them. I caught my first fish when I was nine. It was a tilapia from a pond in the home of a relative in Naya Sharak, Sylhet. A member of the household staff set up a rudimentary fishing outfit for me – line, hook, sinker and dough for bait – and early the next morning we arrived at the pond. I recall with startling clarity the excitement of the first tug on the fishing line, of the anticipation of catching a wild thing. From that moment the day only got better.

Tilapias were easy and fun to catch but to me they do not taste as well as the smaller koi, pabda or puti. I have always been partial to eating smaller fish. Perhaps it is conditioned response. When I visited my Nanabari as a child, for example, my grandmother used cooked up a delicious curry of bashpata fish, with chunks of potatoes and tomatoes in a fragrant gravy. Not only did it have a delicate taste, but there was no worry about bones. You could either scrape its flesh off the backbone with your teeth or crunch and eat it whole.

Another childhood delicacy - and still my favourite fish anywhere - is the tiger-striped rani fish, about 2-3 inches long. It has a rich flavour and, fried crispy on the outside, simply melts in your mouth. In my travels, the closest I have found to rani were fresh anchovies I had in Spain, again fried crispy, though anchovies in Turkey were not as good.

And yes, I like my fish fried, even pabda. I can already see aficionados shaking their head.
Different regions of Bangladesh allow me to try out different fish. I tried faishha the first time on a launch in Sundarban and it has since become one of my favourite fish. In Nijhum Dwip, I tried several fish caught by the local fishermen at the mouth of the Meghna. Among these, chheua was delicious. About 4-5 inches long, it is easily recognised by its abnormally large belly.

No discussion of Bengali fish would be complete without hilsa, the king. One of our great writers went so far as to declare that since there is no mention of hilsa in descriptions of heaven, he is not interested in going there. My mother, who was a natural-born cook, had at least two dozen ways of cooking hilsa, each more delicious than the others.

The most fascinating fish I ever saw was the mudskipper. An inhabitant of Sundarban mangroves, this bug-eyed amphibious fish can spend a long time out of water on mud while avoiding predators and looking for food.
So, what's your favourite fish?

12:00 AM, May 20, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:26 AM, May 20, 2017
The Fish Habit
fish_habit.jpg

A quartet of hilsa. Photo: Ihtisham Kabir
Ihtisham Kabir

Most Bengalis – yours truly included - love fish. We love the variety of flavours and textures that fish offers. Perhaps it is geography: in this small land there are over 260 species of freshwater fish which live and breed in 24000 kilometres of waterways (we have 700 rivers and tributaries) as well as numerous ponds, haors, beels and fishponds.

For many of us the love of fish extends to catching them. I caught my first fish when I was nine. It was a tilapia from a pond in the home of a relative in Naya Sharak, Sylhet. A member of the household staff set up a rudimentary fishing outfit for me – line, hook, sinker and dough for bait – and early the next morning we arrived at the pond. I recall with startling clarity the excitement of the first tug on the fishing line, of the anticipation of catching a wild thing. From that moment the day only got better.

Tilapias were easy and fun to catch but to me they do not taste as well as the smaller koi, pabda or puti. I have always been partial to eating smaller fish. Perhaps it is conditioned response. When I visited my Nanabari as a child, for example, my grandmother used cooked up a delicious curry of bashpata fish, with chunks of potatoes and tomatoes in a fragrant gravy. Not only did it have a delicate taste, but there was no worry about bones. You could either scrape its flesh off the backbone with your teeth or crunch and eat it whole.

Another childhood delicacy - and still my favourite fish anywhere - is the tiger-striped rani fish, about 2-3 inches long. It has a rich flavour and, fried crispy on the outside, simply melts in your mouth. In my travels, the closest I have found to rani were fresh anchovies I had in Spain, again fried crispy, though anchovies in Turkey were not as good.

And yes, I like my fish fried, even pabda. I can already see aficionados shaking their head.
Different regions of Bangladesh allow me to try out different fish. I tried faishha the first time on a launch in Sundarban and it has since become one of my favourite fish. In Nijhum Dwip, I tried several fish caught by the local fishermen at the mouth of the Meghna. Among these, chheua was delicious. About 4-5 inches long, it is easily recognised by its abnormally large belly.

No discussion of Bengali fish would be complete without hilsa, the king. One of our great writers went so far as to declare that since there is no mention of hilsa in descriptions of heaven, he is not interested in going there. My mother, who was a natural-born cook, had at least two dozen ways of cooking hilsa, each more delicious than the others.

The most fascinating fish I ever saw was the mudskipper. An inhabitant of Sundarban mangroves, this bug-eyed amphibious fish can spend a long time out of water on mud while avoiding predators and looking for food.
So, what's your favourite fish?
Don't have a favorite fish but if I shall say... it's hamour, a Kuwaiti fish.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom