What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Nah...those posts got deleted

Well shab e baraat is not a Bangla word. It should have some significance. Afailk it is not prohibited to eat well(different) and pray more in that day. So why observing it in such a manner would be forbidden?Because middle easterns don't observe it?

Why would it be bad to observe a day by praying more and eating better than usual? Just what makes it haraam? And why? The things which are forbidden are specifically written in Quran. I don't think there is anything which says observing a day by praying more would be Haraam.

Allt du säga är inte fel. Praying all night is surely good and it is prescribed in Islam but the issue is when you term a night as something special, which has no foundation in our religion nor has it been followed by our Prophet (pbuh). Also, the type of food has no connection to it. That is something cultural and done by our society. @Mohammed Khaled has given you a very good example of Laylatul Qadr. People take it to be the last odd night and pray all night doing what not but if you go back to Islamic scriptures, it is confirmed that no one but Allah knows which odd night it is and hence, it is highly recommended you spend praying every of those odd nights so that you dont miss it.

Every bidaah is a big error and should be avoided at all cost. Even if thousands of people follow it, it does not make it right.

So if someone doesn't pray the whole year then he is not allowed to pray in a single particular day? Or if someone prays the whole year then he is not allowed to pray more in a single particular day?

You are confusing it.

Example 1 - I dont pray the whole year but one fine day I decide to go pray Jummah. Perfectly fine. You can do that and it is nothing wrong with it.

Example 2 - I pray the whole year but for some reasons, I didnt pray for the past 2 weeks. All good again. There could be reasons that only you and Allah knows. No one is going to judge you and it is not forbidden.

Neither of the both examples are forbidden. What is wrong.. is the following :-

Example 1 - I dont pray the whole year because people didnt pray either and I heard that it is prescribed in a hadith.

Example 2 - I didnt pray the last 2 weeks because I saw people not praying either and they say it is not the right time to pray or some hadith says Prophet (pbuh) also did it.

You see the difference? In the second scenario, you justified doing something with a logic that is not founded in Islam and neither did the Prophet (pbuh) ever did it. That is innovation or Bidaah - you make a conclusion not based on Islamic teaching. In case of the first scenarios, nothing was wrong because you did not produce any absurd logic to justify it.

Hope that clarifies it.

So if someone doesn't pray the whole year then he is not allowed to pray in a single particular day? Or if someone prays the whole year then he is not allowed to pray more in a single particular day?
It's ironic that someone who doesn't pray the whole year thinks his prayer on one particular night will be accepted. Salah is a compulsory thing.

Welcome to pdf brother. Hope you enjoy your stay

Yah i am doing fine, Thanks. And alhamdullilah i am enjoying . However i had a previous account , for many years i was out of range, So forgot the account ...... So bro how u r doing ?

Bangladeshi media....scum the lot of them.

Banglatribune article and headline wrt to the 'sensational' rape case -

- this is from today
18402850_258506927891148_5082971067899461510_n.jpg

and now....

দুই তরুণী ধর্ষণ মামলার আসামি সাফাত ও সাদমান গ্রেফতার - accused shafat and sadman arrested

দুই তরুণী ধর্ষণ মামলার আসামি সাফাত ও সাদমান গ্রেফতার
বাংলা ট্রিবিউন রিপোর্ট২১:২১, মে ১১, ২০১৭

বনানীতে দুই তরুণীকে ধর্ষণের মামলার দুই আসামি সাফাত আহমেদ ও সাদমান সাকিফকে গ্রেফতার করেছে পুলিশ। বৃহস্পতিবার (১১ মে) রাত ৯টার সময় সিলেট থেকে তাদের দু’জনকে গ্রেফতার করা হয় বলে বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে নিশ্চিত করেছেন পুলিশের মহাপরিদর্শক (আইজিপি) শহীদুল হক।

আইজিপি বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে জানান, সিলেটের জালালাবাদ এলাকার শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের (শাবিপ্রবি) পাশের একটি দোতলা বাড়ি থেকে বৃহস্পতিবার রাত ৯টার সময় তাদের গ্রেফতার করা হয়। ঢাকা থেকে পুলিশ সদর দফতরের বিশেষ একটি টিম সিলেটের স্থানীয় পুলিশকে সঙ্গে নিয়ে গ্রেফতার অভিযান চালায়।

সিলেট জেলার পুলিশ সুপার মনিরুজ্জামান বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে জানান, জেলা পুলিশ ও সিলেট মেট্রোপলিটন পুলিশ যৌথ অভিযান চালিয়ে সাফাত ও সাদমানকে গ্রেফতার করে।

সিলেট মহানগর পুলিশের কমিশনার গোলাম কিবরিয়া বাংলা ট্রিবিউনকে বলেন, ‘বৃহস্পতিবার সন্ধ্যায় সিলেট শহরের একটি বাড়ি থেকে বনানীতে তরুণী ধর্ষণ মামলার প্রধান দুই আসামি সাফাত আহমেদ ও সাদমান সাকিফকে গ্রেফতার করা হয়েছে। রাতেই তাদের ঢাকায় পাঠিয়ে দেওয়া হবে।’

সিলেট মহানগর পুলিশ উপ কমিশনার জেদান আল মুসা (গণমাধ্যম) জানান, গোয়েন্দা তথ্যের ভিত্তিতে পুলিশ সিলেট নগরের পাঠানটুলার রশিদ মঞ্জিল থেকে তাদেরকে গ্রেফতার করে।

These are two of the 3 prime accused - among those arrested is the son of 'Apon Jewellers', Shafat.

So, what should be done to the 'journos' who published the earlier article....I won't even mention basherkella losers talking about how the cops had already helped the accused cross the border into India :lol:

I can guarantee that they will not be prosecuted. If the police keep it, then it is based on suspicion. Suspicions are based on the language of the law, but they do not have a prime witness. What will happen at the end of the day ? telling - - Those who have been raped - will give them some money to silence. And if the girl gets money, what is the damage? Relax it. All these plays take time to understand?

And the crowd goes wild
  • Shuprova Tasneem
  • Published at 06:54 PM May 14, 2017
  • Last updated at 02:33 AM May 15, 2017
What privilege is he enjoying? RAJIB DHAR
Are we too hung up over petty issues?
There are many reasons why our generation has very high hopes pinned on it, and at the same time, tends to be on the receiving end of a lot of criticism as well.
Are millennials entitled good-for-nothings, or groundbreakers in the century of innovation?
Are we changing the work-life balance and revolutionising the workforce, or just making excuses to not get out of bed early and using that time to constantly complain on social media?
Are we coming up with solutions to climate change and globalised systems of inequality, or just competing with each other over the most innovative hashtags?

One of the main points of recognising your own privilege is realising that your voice is louder than others’, and that it is your duty to try and share that platform with those who cannot reach it
There is no denying that we are faced with many serious problems. We are essentially the last generation that can do something about climate change.

Problems inherited
We live in a “post-truth” world, and many of us feel the collective responsibility to stand up for science and logic and fight the “alternative news” that is no longer a footnote on the internet but coming from the presidential office of one of the world’s most influential nations.
We live in a world that is seeing a resurgence of the nationalist far-right, and a lot of us worry we are going backwards in terms of recognising the gendered, racial, and socially-structured forms of inequality that exist within our societies.
And in a world where technology and trade continue to flourish, we are increasingly struggling to ensure human rights, especially in sectors influenced by globalised industry.
In that backdrop, it is truly heartening to see young people do what they can to make a change.

While the real impact of the rising, young entrepreneurs, not just in Bangladesh but across the world, is a whole different debate, there is no denying that there are many people out there working to fight for rights, provide expert knowledge, debunk myths, and build a more progressive society.
Whether it is breaking the taboo on discussing sexual health, providing relief to flood-affected areas, or working to ensure better working conditions, there are plenty of young people out there doing important work that needs to be done.

Have you checked your privilege lately?
And one of the most important things facilitating this work is the recognition of privilege. Development professionals will tell you of far too many stories where starry-eyed change-makers decided to dive into the latest social catastrophe and make it worse, simply by not listening to local voices and needs.
But things are changing, and changing … fast. I genuinely believe one of the greatest strides our generation has made is not in technological advancements, but in recognising the many layers of privilege that make society what it is.
If you are Bengali and Muslim, you are more likely than your parents to realise what sort of privilege that accords you in our society.
If you are a man, you are likely to have a better grasp of the gendered societies we live in.
If you are proficient in English and middle or upper-middle class, you are more likely to recognise how there are doors that are open to you but not to others.
Or so one would hope.

A response in kind
But then you get articles like “Far from the Gulshan crowd,” published last week, which take crucial concepts of privilege and social class and turn it into a pseudo-intellectual, uninformed rant that essentially divides Dhaka — a city of around 15 million people, a large portion of whom are employed in the informal economy — into the Gulshan elite and the Dhanmondi everymen (which by the way, used to be the Gulshan of the 80s).

Without even going into the divisive language and massive generalisations in the article — what really stood out was the complete absence of the writer’s own positionality in a discussion on privilege, while ironically lamenting the lack of “self-reflective criticism” in our society.
But what really bothered me was what was left out.
The sweeping and cynical statements fixate on the state of our beloved city and all its inhabitants, trapped in their exclusionary bubbles and judging others, either for their “alcohol-flowing Western-themed parties” or “virgins making out in shoddy lounges.”
But what exactly does this have to do with the thousands of economic and climate migrants pouring into our city looking for subsistence?
What does a Gulshan-Dhanmondi divide have to do with the rickshaw-pullers, construction workers, and sex workers?
What about the 150,000 Biharis stranded in the heart of our city — do they care? How about the people in squatter settlements all across Dhaka?

One of the main points of recognising your own privilege is realising that your voice is louder than others’, and that it is your duty to try and share that platform with those who cannot reach it.
I’m not sure how the writer can advocate for a greater focus on non-mainstream voices while painting the entire city of Dhaka with these ridiculous binaries, but he effectively did exactly what he was writing against — wiped out the stories of all of the voiceless inhabitants of Dhaka. If that is not an exercise of privilege, I don’t know what is.

There are too many issues that this city needs to deal with. There are too many things for us to bicker about. The “ideological divide” between the upper classes and upper-middle classes is not one of them.
The more we trap ourselves into this self-constructed divide, the more solid our own positions in said classes become. It is truly only the privileged who have the luxury of writing about non-issues and turning them into real ones.

Shuprova Tasneem is Deputy Magazine Editor, Dhaka Tribune.

I can guarantee that they will not be prosecuted. If the police keep it, then it is based on suspicion. Suspicions are based on the language of the law, but they do not have a prime witness. What will happen at the end of the day ? telling - - Those who have been raped - will give them some money to silence. And if the girl gets money, what is the damage? Relax it. All these plays take time to understand?

Umm...I can guarantee they will get prosecuted.

This case will end up with one of the speedy tribunals and they'll get convicted fairly quickly.

The question is...how much jail time will they actually serve? Their money and influence will come in handy in that instance. As for paying the 2 girls off...they tried that for a month - they refused the money.

If the girls had taken the money, this would have never made it into the public domain.

6 compelling facts about animals that you didn’t know
Years and years of research has brought to light fascinating facts about the wonderful creatures in the animal kingdom. Let’s get to know them a little better today.

1200px-Hausziege_04-300x300.jpg

Goats pick up accents
Just like us, the accent and tone in goats can change which they usually pick up from their peers. A British study discovered that their behaviours also change over time, and get in sync with that of their social surroundings.

Jellyfish-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqFmdtdovgxskirSSG45rbt8FhfGM2zRzKjwiAbLfWNNk-300x187.jpg

The immortal jellyfish
Scientists have found that Turritopsis Dohrnii (a species of small jellyfish) are capable of living an eternal life, by transforming themselves back into their juvenile polyp state once they have reached adulthood. Contracting their bodies, retracting their tentacles, and sinking to the ocean floor to start the cycle all over again—not just once—this is something that they can do over and over again. Let’s all take a moment and pray that we come back as an immortal jellyfish in our next life. Fingers crossed.

penguin-couple-300x225.jpg

Penguins propose to their other half
When little Pongo met Pengy, he knew it was love at first sight. He searched the entire beach for the perfect pebble to propose to Pengy with and finally found it. He mustered the courage to go ahead with the proposal and placed the pebble at her feet as a symbol of his affection.

It was a yes! She picked it up, and soon they tied the knot and lived happily ever after.

It’s not a sequence from an animated film, it is actually how penguins propose to each other. It can get pretty romantic, we tell ya.

elephant-family-300x124.jpg

Elephants are social butterflies
A comprehensive study published in 2016 shows that elephants socially bond, mingle and get engaged in social activities with their family and peers a lot more than other animals. Social status is of top priority when it comes to elephants. Greeting ceremonies, funerals, parties, you name it, they’ve got it going.

innercowhero-300x185.jpg

Cows have best friends
When 27-year-old Krista McLennan measured the heart rates and cortisol levels of cows to see how they deal with being isolated from their herds for her PhD at Northampton University, she discovered that cows have best friends and they become stressed when they are isolated from them.

Farmers, if you are worried about milk yield, the key is to keeping your cows happy, and let them be while they hang out with their homies.

Oysters can switch their gender
These amazing creatures have put us under their spell flaunting their beautiful pearls, in addition to being a source of food and natural cleaners that filter pollution out of water. As if that weren’t enough, oysters are also capable of switching their sexes. They are born male but may change their gender to a female and then decide to morph back to being a male again. Talk about superpowers.

That means you failed to debate till your keyboard cracks. Shame... :P
Wow...I now have over a thousand neutral ratings without getting banned even once.

Praise me guys.

@~Phoenix~ pola ta koi?

You guys are cute. 8 years on this forum.. yet to get banned. Inspite of engaging the JI scum brigade a lot back in the days.

Wow...I now have over a thousand neutral ratings without getting banned even once.

Praise me guys.

@~Phoenix~ pola ta koi?

What ??? akta o ban kahn nai ? Then i must say you are a rocket . :sarcastic::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

@~Phoenix~ ai polatake ami o khujtesi . haray gelo naki ? naki ban khaise ke jane :omghaha:

You guys are cute. 8 years on this forum.. yet to get banned. Inspite of engaging the JI scum brigade a lot back in the days.

8 years dhoira Lieutenant pode ? kmne ki ? :rap::rap: . ami o onek age join kore major hoya court martial dise. forasori fire koira mere felse. Oscar saheb ai kaj korse. :sleep:... ar ু r u r really cute bro, koyjon mila terrorist gang banay feli ,... :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

Promotion dey na?

Ekhon to banned na. Koyekbar ban khaise. Ekhon ekhane ar Ashe na.

hahahaha . atai to cinta kortesi .kemne ki ? amra hole to promotion diye Lt.col banay ditam.

Promotion dey na?

Ekhon to banned na. Koyekbar ban khaise. Ekhon ekhane ar Ashe na.

O jokhon ban khaisse ami o dekhsi , ai jgay kichu jomidar ache- tader comment upor commnt korlei ban kete hoy..ami abar agula mani. huur. dile dibo.. sotto kotha bolle jodi ban khaite hoy. khailam. somossa koi ? dicteroship ak jinis ar managment onno jinis, ay jagay kichu jomidar ache tara dictatorship dekhay . gonar somoy ase naki . amra to vai ar rank pabar jonno tulu tulu korte pari na. somossa oi jagay .

12:00 AM, May 17, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:41 AM, May 17, 2017
Change Maker: The Good Shepherd
Wife of runaway husband in Savar rewrites her fortune rearing sheep
shepherd.jpg

Farida Khatun among her sheep in Savar on the outskirts of the capital. She turned her fortunes around with sheep farming after her husband left her. The photo was taken recently. Photo: Palash Khan

Aklakur Rahman Akash

Two months into her pregnancy, Farida Khatun suffered a fate all too familiar yet often glossed over; her husband, Atar Mia, left her and went off to marry another woman. Given this was sometime in the early 80s, Farida Khatun could have been forgiven for resigning to a future full of gloom. But like the rose that grows from concrete, Farida's resilience would spur her on to blossom to not only survive the odds stacked against her but resoundingly conquer them. And all that with a lamb purchased for Tk 80.

It is now hard to believe how Farida Khatun, 50, redefined her fate, along with prevailing stereotypes of gender roles. Initially, she began living with her parents and gave birth to her son, Babul Hosen. Her parents often tried to convince her to remarry. They thought this would be the only way to ensure a bright future for their daughter. But Farida Khatun was determined to not rely on another man, especially with her newly born son's future in the balance.

It was in 1985 that her brother, Abul Hossen, bought a lamb for Tk 80 and gave it to her. Back then, Farida's son was only two years old. Her brother's gift was given in the hopes of offering his sister some sustainability for her future. He had probably never imagined that it would end up with her one day becoming the proud owner of a sheep farm.

During a recent visit to Kumarkhoda Ashrayan Project in Savar, where Farida Khatun currently lives, The Daily Star correspondent found her in her farm, surrounded by 49 sheep. All this that stood before her today started with that one lamb. “When my husband left me, I was only 17 years old. Still, I wanted to do something on my own. But all I had was just a calf of a sheep. So I had to start with that," Farida says.

While Farida's tenacity itself is praiseworthy, her compassion for her sheep is an even more compelling aspect of her story. Without any formal training and 2.5 decimals of land only, Farida still went to work with a purpose. She turned the veranda adjacent to her room sheep shed. Every evening, the sheep enter the shed and sleep till 10:00am, in close proximity to Farida and under her watchful eyes.

Every morning, Farida herself takes her sheep out into the fields to graze and returns to join them after lunch. “I have been doing so for the past 32 years,” she says. Salina Begum, Farida's daughter in law, explains the depths of her mother-in-law's compassion. “If any sheep is found dead, she goes into mourning and refuses to eat. It's like a member of her family has passed,” she says. Salina also adds that even the sale of a sheep plunges her mother-in-law into melancholy. The sheep, in return, give her their outright loyalty. “The sheep follow her wherever she goes,” Salina says adding that Farida will rear sheep till the last breath because they are what gave her a new lease of life.

Today, Farida is a successful entrepreneur who inspires others around her. Razea Begum, one of her neighbours, also recently bought a pair of female sheep from Farida for Tk 6000 and is now also daring to dream. “I want to change my fortune like Farida,” Razea says. Salma Begum, another neighbour, also aspires to rear sheep. “Before I used to pass a lot of free time. Now I am trying to follow in Farida Apa's footsteps,” she says. While Farida Khatun has become a trailblazer and an inspiration, she has not forgotten what began it all. Her son, now all grown up and a father of three lovely children, has his own flower business but Farida continues to bear all the costs of her family.

“I bear the education cost of my grand-children too. I even bought my daughter-in-law gold ornaments for her hands, ears and neck,” Farida says, laughing. Her laughter is raw. It is pure and it sounds like it had been waiting for a long time. Farida doesn't look back on what once was any longer. She looks forward and she sees positivity. Circumstances can change if one has the will and the support system to change them. Farida had both and now she stands as a testament to what can be done when a human spirit refuses to break, stereotypes be damned.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom