What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Fish in Ukraine is rare and expensive for the quality you get... Crimea must have had something to do with it...
Yeah did have salmon and trout...

YOUR FISH IS RAAAAWWWWWW!! :P
It's like you remove the internal organs and give it a good wash... then dry it out in the sun with salt possibly...
Those Golden days of mixing with salt & turmeric paste and natural drying process are long lost. These days unscrupulous traders are using DDT, a banned cancer causing insecticide, to reduce costs, very similar to the rampant use of Formalin in most of the fishes, vegetables,fruits,etc. Stern punishments must be meted out to these greedy SOB's.

Those Golden days of mixing with salt & turmeric paste and natural drying process are long lost. These days unscrupulous traders are using DDT, a banned cancer causing insecticide, to reduce costs, very similar to the rampant use of Formalin in most of the fishes, vegetables,fruits,etc. Stern punishments must be meted out to these greedy SOB's.
Just go to the bazar in wari... I think it's Called kaftan bazar... the shutki there is sun dried... the best you can buy, comes at a higher price than other place too.... mum's always bought some to Kuwait from their whenever we went to bd.

Just go to the bazar in wari... I think it's Called kaftan bazar... the shutki there is sun dried... the best you can buy, comes at a higher price than other place too.... mum's always bought some to Kuwait from their whenever we went to bd.
Kaftan bazar,Wari,Dhaka-1000. Once, the poshest area in Dhaka, where elites used to reside. Thanks brother.

YOUR FISH IS RAAAAWWWWWW!! :P

You are a fan too I see hehe

so-raw_fb_1229483.jpg

Ruzar shomoy airam, ami Srimongkol kotobar geshi bariner lagi.Khub sundor jaiga, shob guria deksi. 1983 election campaign korar lagi thakshi bohut din, thokon ami FM morhum HRC PS achilam.
আফনে দেখি আমার বহুত সিনিয়র বা! :D

Cultural arena mourns Abdullah Khalid’s death
Cultural Correspondent | Published: 22:15, May 21,2017
16036_456.jpg

Syed Abdullah Khalid

Cultural arena mourned the death of the creator of Aparejo Bangla, Syed Abdullah Khalid, saying the country lost one of the most brilliant artists.
Khalid breathed his last on Saturday night at BIRDEM hospital after suffering from complications of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

People of all walks of life paid their last tribute to the Ekushey Padak-winning sculptor Syed Abdullah Khalid after his body arrived at his eternal creation Aparajeyo Bangla.

Among others, cultural affairs minister Asaduzzaman Noor, Sammilita Sanskritik Jote’s President Golam Kuddus, Bangla Academy director general Shamsuzzaman Khan, Dhaka University’s vice-chancellor AAMS Arefin Siddique were present at the public mourning.
Terming the sculptor’s death an irreparable loss, Noor said, ‘A bright star in the sculptor arena has fallen. His creation will inspire new generations for years to come.’

A multi-talented artist, Khalid, who served as a professor at Chittagong University’s fine arts department, has not only excelled in sculpture but also made an impression with his paintings done between 1980s and first decade of 21st century.

Kahlid’s classmate at the then East Pakistan College of Arts and Crafts [now faculty of fine arts of Dhaka University], Hamiduzzaman Khan, another eminent sculptor, said, ‘He was a brilliant artist and had immense passion for art, especially for sculpture.’
‘His sculptures are very lively and beautifully done. It happened because of his passion for the medium,’ Hamiduzzaman added.

Khalid started his iconic sculpture Aparajeyo Bangla, featuring contributions of the people from all walks of life in liberation war, project at Dhaka University being assigned by Dhaka University Central Students’ Union in 1973.

The 18 feet tall Aparajeyo Bangla portraying three figures-- a farmer with a rifle on his shoulder and grenade in his hand, centre, on the left side there is a lady with a first aid box and on the right there is a student representing the youths who participated at the war-- was finished on December 16, 1979.
His other works include the Terracotta relief on socio-cultural heritage at the Bangladesh Bank head office and a 447-sft mural Abahaman Bangla at the Bangladesh Television Centre.

Syed Abdullah Khalid was also a prolific painter. A great interchange between abstract and realistic forms is found in many of his paintings depicting mainly the bright seasonal flowers of Bangladesh like Sonalu, Radhachura and Krishnachura.

Evaluating his skill as a painter, noted artist Ranajit Das said, ‘Many of us only know about Khalid as a sculptor but he was also a gifted painter. Actually he was a diverse artist with capabilities to create art in any medium. It is a great loss for the art arena of the country to lose him.’

Eminent artist Samarjit Roy Chowdhury recalls Syed Abdullah Khalid as a great personality and a very good friend. ‘He was an amiable man and a good fellow of mine. He is gone but his creations will always be with us. His sculpture Aparajeyo Bangla is an inevitable part of our national identity, and he will be forever remembered through the iconic work,’ Samarjit said.
For his brilliant contributions in fine art, Syed Abdullah Khalid received several awards including Shilpakala Award and the Ekushey Padak.

- See more at: http://www.newagebd.net/article/160...s-abdullah-khalids-death#sthash.PWsITAY4.dpuf

Been oout of network for few days. What's with this new look of the site?iIt's horrible.

Telecom minister Tarana Halim paid a visit to Bangkok to pay tribute to the Late King of Thailand His Excellency Bhumibol Adulyadej who recently passed away.

%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A8.jpg

Telecom minister Tarana Halim paid a visit to Bangkok to pay tribute to the Late King of Thailand His Excellency Bhumibol Adulyadej who recently passed away.
Once our cutie heart throb, decades earlier in DU.

Once our cutie heart throb, decades earlier in DU.

Yes that's what I heard. She was involved in Dramas up to the late nineties with Humayun Faridi. Studied classical music at Bulbul Lalitkala Academy much earlier.....and probably one of the most presentable of our ministers (I still have nightmares about 'shoshyo konna' Motia Begum):hang3:

Humayun Faridi finally re married Suborna Mustafa,former lover of Asad, another drama celebrity, only to be divorced, once again. We had our own Cultural Troupe, a craze amongst the youths, during those years, and used to get together regularly for practices at TSC premises, and for what other purposes are obvious,expressing:smitten::smitten::smitten:.Good old days.

Valerie Taylor is a living saint…an ambassador of Heaven itself
Sir Frank Peters

mis01.jpg

Valerie A. Taylor and Sir Frank Peters
I do not subscribe to the norm of showering people with pleasantries, praise, love, and admiration after they have died.
I believe admiration and due respect best serve the living and may even help to uplift their spirit and offer encouragement in one of their down moments (and we all have those) by telling them they are loved, admired, and their great God-inspired work is truly appreciated.

One such person deserving the nation’s unequivocal appreciation, help, support, and eternal gratitude is Valerie Taylor, OBE – one of the greatest humanitarians of the 21st century. She holds only the most humble conception of her own achievements, but is a lighthouse of hope for the disabled throughout Bangladesh.

I speak her name in awe and solemn reverence.
Valerie Taylor, who was born on February 8, 1944 in Buckinghamshire, UK, is an Ambassador of Heaven itself. She’s a saint in our midst, but I hope she won’t collect the accolade for many decades to come.

Valerie is the best example I know of perfection in human character. The sort of person we would all become if not for our myriad of faults. She is someone who oozes so much benevolence, feeling, love and compassion for her fellow humans – especially the disabled – it sometimes fogs her glasses. The lady (and she is a lady) is a waterfall of human kindness in stature comparable to Victoria Falls.
Valery is a young 74 year-old physiotherapist by profession. She’s also a philanthropist, an inspiration to millions and a ‘mother’ to thousands, although none are biologically her own. Never married, she adopted two disabled Bangladeshi girls — Poppy and Joyti — who are the love of her life and her family.

In 1998, she was granted Bangladeshi citizenship, and in 2004, the Government of Bangladesh honoured her with the Bangladesh Independence Day award for her social work.

Not what God had in mind
The story of Valerie Ann Taylor not only inspires all those who tirelessly care for the distressed and the disabled, but also offers a lesson to all and that is to never under-estimate the power of an individual.
When the young physiotherapist first arrived in Bangladesh as a VSO volunteer, she only intended to stay for 15 months…. perform God’s work… have a bit of a holiday… see a bit of Bangladesh and then return to Buckinghamshire to re-join her friends in a cafe and chat about her experiences.
But that wasn’t what God had in mind.

“I fell instantly in love with the country,” she told the BBC, “and over four decades later I find I’m still here.”
When the pretty young spinster witnessed the horrific plight of disabled people in what was then known as East Pakistan, to have ignored and returned to her ‘comfort zone’ life in the UK would have troubled her conscience never ending.

After years of research and finding no organization or institution in Bangladesh that provided adequate care to people with spinal injuries, the tally of her sleepless night rose dramatically. In 1979, after 10 years of sheer persistence, and refusing to take ‘no’ for an answer, Valerie (then 35) opened the Center for the Rehabilitation of the Paralyzed (CRP) in Savar, near Dhaka. It’s her dream come true and a blessing from God for all its patients. Valerie and her team are caring, considerate, compassionate and understanding to their special and individual needs.

CRP opened with just four patients, but has since grown to treat hundreds of thousands.
Now the CRP facilities are huge. There is a 100-bed hospital for spinal injuries, an operating theatre, and workshops where patients learn and are paid to make export quality wheelchairs and such. Other services include vocational re-training for disabled women and girls, medical, therapy and diagnostic services and training of health professionals up to BSc, in affiliation with renowned institutions including Dhaka University.

It promotes empowerment of disabled people through community-based services, advocacy and networking on disability issues and empowerment of disabled girls and women and raises awareness on disability issues nationally, regionally and internationally.

They also work with children with Cerebral Palsy and teach parents how to cope with the condition.
Valerie Taylor, rightfully so, has been decorated with numerous awards including the O.B.E. (Order of the British Empire for her outstanding efforts providing holistic treatment for the paralysed) and also the “Shadhinota Dibosh Podok”, the highest civilian award of Bangladesh.

Shares her honours
She refuses to accept honours exclusively, but willingly share them with her ‘family members’ i.e., all those people who contributed to her work in one form or another, including donors.
“CRP is what it is thanks to hundreds, maybe thousands of people who’ve played their part. Many come and give their time as volunteers and having seen what we do, they often return home, and raise money in their own country for our work to continue,” she said.

In December 2009 I was honoured to share a platform as guest speaker with Valerie. KidZcare School had organized a workshop for the parents of children with special needs.
During my delivery, I paid heart-felt homage to Valerie and termed her the ‘Mother Teresa of Bangladesh’. Her pale Buckhamshire cheeks blushed bright red with embarrassment, God love her.
Later when interviewed by a national British newspaper she admitted feeling humbled and awkward at the time and told the reporter: “I’m just very simple, plain old Valerie Taylor.”
I doubt if you could meet a person who is more humble, kind, more caring, more compassionate and more down to earth as she.

Her ‘calling’ from God had taken her into unchartered territories. Before her arrival, physically handicapped people in Bangladesh were looked-down upon, frowned upon and lacked due respect.
“Disabilities are not punishments to the individual from Allah, but sometimes they are tests by Allah to see how people treat or mistreat a fellow human,” she said.

The noble Valerie has dedicated her life to serving people with disabilities in Bangladesh and easing their sufferings.
She was forced to leave Bangladesh during the Liberation War in 1971 and returned to England in 1973 with the goal of raising funds to build a rehabilitation centre for the paralyzed.

In 1975, she returned to Dhaka with insufficient money to actually set-up the rehabilitation centre, but for the first time in her life, she had a dream, purpose, and a solid reason for jumping out of bed each morning and she knew exactly what she wanted to achieve. Hope coupled to unshakeable determination and powerful mysterious forces propelled her to keep working on transforming her dream into reality.

Given birth in two cement storerooms
Four years on, in 1979, CRP began its historic journey from two cement storerooms in the grounds of the Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital in Dhaka. Later in 1990, she managed to set up a permanent structure and moved to Savar. Fund-raising for the project, however, was no picnic.
“We faced a lot of challenges, especially raising funds for permanent land and setting up buildings. Some of my well wishers and I did this step by step, slowly by slowly, but we managed to get there in the end. Now the challenge is to keep afloat,” she said.

I got away once comparing Valerie to Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Since that day in 2009, the renowned nun and champion of the poor, has been canonized a saint.
Being an ever so humble soul whose two feet are firmly anchored in reality and who shuns the limelight, Valerie would never agree with me describing her as a living saint, but as William Shakespeare said: “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet”.
To learn more about the work of CRP or to make a donation, visit http://www.crp-bangladesh.org orwww.valerietaylortrust.org.

Sir Frank Peters is a former newspaper and magazine publisher and editor, a humanitarian, a royal Goodwill Ambassador, an ardent admirer of Valerie Taylor and the noble work of CRP.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom