What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Choto nunu syndrome by our close yet not so close neighbour (not the one you think about) explained by a Bangladesh Army Officer Abu Rushd (retired)
i implore @Destranator @Kharap Foa watch this as well

(press watch on youtube link)

Didn't one of the bro's here (Michael dude i think) study in Ukraine?

I hope he is safe. They're not allowing any men to leave (18-60). Even if they're ex-pats or international students.
BD embassy saying they have contacted some 250 BD ppl in Ukraine
Polish Gov said they would give them on-entry visa and
BD gov said that they would arrange flights
I hope he is safe

Last edited:
ignore his voice , listen to what this guy says

btw he is impartial and doesn't use religion to peddle his narrative. He gets a lot of flack for saying we should deal with France

I wish I could understand proper Bangla better.

I used to be an advocate for less spending for the military for Bangladesh.

But this Ukraine theater has only illustrated what a joke the world really is.

Might makes right. (And nothing is as it seems)

I hope these clowns in the Bangladeshi government are taking lessons.

For goodness sakes PLEASE buy some real capability for BAF with a well thought out plan for the future.

This is literally a crossroads for BAF.

For goodness sakes PLEASE buy some real capability for BAF with a well thought out plan for the future.

Whaaaa you can't speak Bangla ? I can't read Bangla that well and kick myself about it all the time (I learnt then forgot the alphabets 😂😭)

Choto nunu syndrome by our close yet not so close neighbour (not the one you think about) explained by a Bangladesh Army Officer Abu Rushd (retired)
i implore @Destranator @Kharap Foa watch this as well

(press watch on youtube link)

BD embassy saying they have contacted some 250 BD ppl in Ukraine
Polish Gov said they would give them on-entry visa and
BD gov said that they would arrange flights
I hope he is safe

Lmao chotonunu syndrome is one way to put it xD

I'm gonna steal that.

Whaaaa you can't speak Bangla ? I can't read Bangla that well and kick myself about it all the time (I learnt then forgot the alphabets 😂😭)

I'm gonna steal that.

I can speak and understand informal Bangla but not the Bangla these guys speak on Youtube.

Also, hope Michael Corleone is ok.

I can speak and understand informal Bangla but not the Bangla these guys speak on Youtube.

Also, hope Michael Corleone is ok.

What do you mean informal Bangla ? Like a specific dialect ?

He's speaking a bit fast but this is pretty much standard tbf but maybe I am wrong

he basically saying
myanmar has nothing to lose compared to us (economy) . what stopping them from taking St Martin island and CHT with airstrikes ?

He says the Army is defo better trained than the mm military , but what use is it without air support in modern warfare ?
He criticises the khet public who think BA and BN will do just fine without BAF. Using Rational rather than Emotional Arguments.

let me know what you think of the video (lets use diplomatic language to evade the banhammer :D)

Last edited:
What do you mean informal Bangla ? Like a specific dialect ?

He's speaking a bit fast but this is pretty much standard tbf but maybe I am wrong

I can talk to people in Bangla and understand them like in dinner parties or at home.

But I can't understand the Bangla they use in news or youtube videos or anything formal.

Anyways, hope BAF does something good soon.

Didn't one of the bro's here (Michael dude i think) study in Ukraine?

I hope he is safe. They're not allowing any men to leave (18-60). Even if they're ex-pats or international students.

Poland to give shelter to Bangladeshis leaving Ukraine​

A general view shows the rebel-held city of Donetsk, Ukraine. REUTERS

The Polish government has agreed to issue visas to Bangladeshis living in Ukraine on an emergency basis before their repatriation to Bangladesh, said State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam.
"We have contacted the office of the Polish Foreign Ministry requesting on-arrival visas for Bangladeshis stranded in Ukraine and the Polish government has assured us of their assistance," the minister said in a press briefing this afternoon.
But the service has not been launched yet, he added.

Poland will issue visas for 15 days and by this time, the asylum seekers will have to return to Bangladesh.
The government is planning to send chartered planes to bring them back and will bear all costs during their stay in Poland, he assured.

Meanwhile, the Bangladesh Embassy in Ukraine has opened a Whatsapp group and has been able to contact around 250 Bangladeshis there. Those who want to leave Ukraine have been asked to contact the group.
"The number of Bangladeshis living in war-struck Ukraine could be 500," said the minister.

hopefully he is among those contacted.

Last edited:

Did you see how quickly the Russians gained air superiority over Ukrainian skies? A lesson for sure...

Did you see how quickly the Russians gained air superiority over Ukrainian skies? A lesson for sure...

The US continues to maintain that the Russians actually don't hold air superiority over Ukraine.. not sure what to believe..

Heard NATO will provide air defence systems to Ukraine now.. too little, too late... If you ask me but I'm not in Ukraine fighting so I wouldn't know

So... Recent events have kept me glued to my phone/screen continuously. What a shame, I had other plans for the weekend...

My take on this is quite grey. No side is 100% right or 100% wrong. Much like everything else in the world. I know people have strong opinions in such events, and it's near impossible to be impartial. But here's my take:

NATO & "west" in general:
After winning the cold war, they've become a circle-jerk organization living in extreme hubris. Instead of making the world a safer place, they did the opposite. Opened up lots of legal/moral/geopolitical pandora's boxes by recognizing Kossovo (much like Putin recognizing DNR/LPR, Transnistria, etc), invading Iraq and turning that region into a bigger powderkeg, exceeding its no-fly zone mandate in Libya, trying their best to overthrow Assad, to name just the major ones. From Russia's perspective, they were very upset with all that. Because morals aside, they made the entire world less stable. Putin was fairly pro-Western in the early 2000s. But NATO's greed and hubris made them incredibly arrogant, thinking they can pull off unconditional victories everywhere, and no one can do anything about it. But more importantly, NATO expanded eastwards. Which was one of the major points of West/Russia negotiations after the fall of the USSR. No Russian regime ever, democratic or otherwise, will ever let that happen. You have to understand Russian strategic thinking. They are a product of their geography, much like everyone else. But NATO expanded regardless, expecting Russians to just huff and puff like they often used to do (and little else). When it comes to understanding Russia's frustrations, irrespective of the nature of the Russian regime, I totally understand it. Even Gorbachev has stated he regrets how things ended up. He assumed Westerners were reasonable trustworthy people. But the west was just overly drunk on hubris, the worst of human deceases. They even undermined the economic growth of one of their greatest allies (Japan), at least to some extent. Because the thought of an Asian country overtaking the Anglo-Saxon world in an international context was too unbearable for our Anglo-Saxons. The idea that the western world would let some Asians or Slavs replace their 500 years (which in human history terms is pretty short) economic/cultural/military/scientific dominance unopposed is just moronically naive. This isn't a thing exclusive to westerners. This is just the no1 rule of civilization. No dominant civilization will ever let its successor replace them unopposed. But coming back to the RU vs NATO discussion, NATO just expanded eastwards like it couldn't give a **** about RU's opinion. Despite winning the cold war, despite containing the epic rise of (peaceful) Japan in the 1980s, I think Westerners should really start to think about the possibility that they will no longer be the center of the world. It'll most likely be Asia, with China at the helm.

Ukraine:
It's a young Nation. We Bangladeshi's should know a thing or two about young nations. But unlike BD, it's culturally not very homogeneous. They have a large pro-Russian population, mostly to the east. But the % of the Pro-Russian populace has decreased drastically over the 30 years. Thanks in part to Russia's incompetence to offer them anything good. Thanks to them propping up a bunch of mobs to rule Ukraine. It's really easy to see the appeal of the EU from a Ukrainian perspective. Russia's "influence" gave them the likes of Yanakovitch and men of his ilk. Every single one of the ex-East-Block countries ended up better economically than present-day Russia.

In terms of corruption/incompetency, Ukraine is way worse than even Russia. So as much as I understand Ukraine blaming RU for a lot of their problems, they had 8 years of a free government to get their arse together. But they haven't. The quality of their politics is incredibly poor, arguably worse than even Russia. Zelensky was democratically elected. Russia accuse UA of being Nazis, but no far right-wing party ever won any seats in parliament. Zelensky himself is a Jew. They were about to pass a law forbidding anti-Semitism, and outlawing organizations like AZOV. Nonetheless, Ukraine did have a Neo-Nazi problem and they have used them to achieve certain political goals (like Maidan). But being a young state, and having Russia hold its balls for the last 30 years, Ukrainians were not allowed to evolve naturally. Which gave more power to extremist groups. But Zelensky, for all his faults, at least showed these groups will disappear organically due to the political/social/cultural evolution of a young nation. But it isn't completely incorrect to say he still relies on them to an extent. And they still have armored units in the Ukrainian army. Not "loan fruitcakes" he wants others to believe

Putin & Russia:
I think Putin saved Russia in the 2000s. But he's in power for far too long. Russia has stagnated as a result economically. There's a discussion to be had about the impact of sanctions, oil prices, PPP (their PPP per capita has been growing consistently, despite nominal per capita declining). But just observe the RU economy on a micro-scale. Russia tried to encourage innovation and private enterprise. Take a look at the techno-parks built in Moscow, Petersburg, and other regions. All those investments, yet the outcome was pretty underwhelming. Why? Corruption. Ask yourself why Chicoms, whose auto industry started off copying some soviet UAZ jeeps now have an auto industry that can threaten the likes of Tesla, while the Russian auto industry is only targetted at one type of customer (a bunch of low earning babushka and vatniks living in Russia's 3rd world like cities). Russia is not a meritocracy like China. I think they will give us South Asian's a challenge when it comes to nepotism and corruption. Putin, despite appearing to be anti-corruption, ended up exploiting corruption for his gain. He was naive enough to think he could get corrupt people to work in the interest of the country. But it hasn't really worked. The Russian elite is a bunch of hand-picked mob/mafia mentality groups picked by Putin and his inner circle. And Russia stagnated as a result. There was a time and place for strongmen like Putin to keep Russia forever. But the problem with Strongmen is they refuse to leave. And there's little you could do about that. Right now, Russia has a lot of domestic economic problems. Poverty is rising at an alarming rate. And this will erode Putin's popularity, which used to be pretty overwhelming only a few years ago. Putinism should've been replaced at least 10 years ago. Having been in power for this long, I think there is a possibility he is starting to go a little mad.

The biggest tragedy is, despite understanding Russia's perspective, Russia's complete failure to keep UA out of NATO by peaceful means. One has to understand the UA perspective. From their shoes, they only have to look to Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Czech Republic, even Romania, and Bulgaria, and see their economic prosperity. And then look at strongmen paradise-like Belarus, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and finally, Russia, which is poorer than Romania now. Regardless of whether western integration will actually transform them into economic prosperity (judging by the last 8 years, it didn't). But the appeal is very obvious. Russia, I'm sorry to say, cannot offer anything useful. There's a reason it hand selects a bunch of corrupt mafias/mob-like strongmen in its bordering countries. They only understand force, not prosperity. All talks about the Eurasian Union, economic integration of CIS countries, all of them were dismal failures delivering poor results.

TLDR: Nato pushed eastwards, forced RU into a corner. The Russian invasion of Ukraine is a symbol of violence being the tool of the incompetent

Sorry for any typo's/mistakes

Russia, which is poorer than Romania now.
Refuse to believe this is true
Russia's complete failure to keep UA out of NATO by peaceful means.
i would have thought that Russia would behave like a responsible state actor and all of these wargames and threats were just bluffs to give Russia some much needed leverage (from their perspective) in the negotiating table. You know maybe some sanctions relief or similar.

I used to subscribe to the idea of a Neoliberal Economist who once said '' Two countries that have McDonalds (insert fast food chain here ) will never go to war with each other, the economies will have too much to loose.'' here , Having a global fast food chain obviously means being connected to the world economy and having a reltatively well to do population.

Putin has proven them wrong.

So... Recent events have kept me glued to my phone/screen continuously. What a shame, I had other plans for the weekend...

My take on this is quite grey. No side is 100% right or 100% wrong. Much like everything else in the world. I know people have strong opinions in such events, and it's near impossible to be impartial. But here's my take:

NATO & "west" in general:
After winning the cold war, they've become a circle-jerk organization living in extreme hubris. Instead of making the world a safer place, they did the opposite. Opened up lots of legal/moral/geopolitical pandora's boxes by recognizing Kossovo (much like Putin recognizing DNR/LPR, Transnistria, etc), invading Iraq and turning that region into a bigger powderkeg, exceeding its no-fly zone mandate in Libya, trying their best to overthrow Assad, to name just the major ones. From Russia's perspective, they were very upset with all that. Because morals aside, they made the entire world less stable. Putin was fairly pro-Western in the early 2000s. But NATO's greed and hubris made them incredibly arrogant, thinking they can pull off unconditional victories everywhere, and no one can do anything about it. But more importantly, NATO expanded eastwards. Which was one of the major points of West/Russia negotiations after the fall of the USSR. No Russian regime ever, democratic or otherwise, will ever let that happen. You have to understand Russian strategic thinking. They are a product of their geography, much like everyone else. But NATO expanded regardless, expecting Russians to just huff and puff like they often used to do (and little else). When it comes to understanding Russia's frustrations, irrespective of the nature of the Russian regime, I totally understand it. Even Gorbachev has stated he regrets how things ended up. He assumed Westerners were reasonable trustworthy people. But the west was just overly drunk on hubris, the worst of human deceases. They even undermined the economic growth of one of their greatest allies (Japan), at least to some extent. Because the thought of an Asian country overtaking the Anglo-Saxon world in an international context was too unbearable for our Anglo-Saxons. The idea that the western world would let some Asians or Slavs replace their 500 years (which in human history terms is pretty short) economic/cultural/military/scientific dominance unopposed is just moronically naive. This isn't a thing exclusive to westerners. This is just the no1 rule of civilization. No dominant civilization will ever let its successor replace them unopposed. But coming back to the RU vs NATO discussion, NATO just expanded eastwards like it couldn't give a **** about RU's opinion. Despite winning the cold war, despite containing the epic rise of (peaceful) Japan in the 1980s, I think Westerners should really start to think about the possibility that they will no longer be the center of the world. It'll most likely be Asia, with China at the helm.

Ukraine:
It's a young Nation. We Bangladeshi's should know a thing or two about young nations. But unlike BD, it's culturally not very homogeneous. They have a large pro-Russian population, mostly to the east. But the % of the Pro-Russian populace has decreased drastically over the 30 years. Thanks in part to Russia's incompetence to offer them anything good. Thanks to them propping up a bunch of mobs to rule Ukraine. It's really easy to see the appeal of the EU from a Ukrainian perspective. Russia's "influence" gave them the likes of Yanakovitch and men of his ilk. Every single one of the ex-East-Block countries ended up better economically than present-day Russia.

In terms of corruption/incompetency, Ukraine is way worse than even Russia. So as much as I understand Ukraine blaming RU for a lot of their problems, they had 8 years of a free government to get their arse together. But they haven't. The quality of their politics is incredibly poor, arguably worse than even Russia. Zelensky was democratically elected. Russia accuse UA of being Nazis, but no far right-wing party ever won any seats in parliament. Zelensky himself is a Jew. They were about to pass a law forbidding anti-Semitism, and outlawing organizations like AZOV. Nonetheless, Ukraine did have a Neo-Nazi problem and they have used them to achieve certain political goals (like Maidan). But being a young state, and having Russia hold its balls for the last 30 years, Ukrainians were not allowed to evolve naturally. Which gave more power to extremist groups. But Zelensky, for all his faults, at least showed these groups will disappear organically due to the political/social/cultural evolution of a young nation. But it isn't completely incorrect to say he still relies on them to an extent. And they still have armored units in the Ukrainian army. Not "loan fruitcakes" he wants others to believe

Putin & Russia:
I think Putin saved Russia in the 2000s. But he's in power for far too long. Russia has stagnated as a result economically. There's a discussion to be had about the impact of sanctions, oil prices, PPP (their PPP per capita has been growing consistently, despite nominal per capita declining). But just observe the RU economy on a micro-scale. Russia tried to encourage innovation and private enterprise. Take a look at the techno-parks built in Moscow, Petersburg, and other regions. All those investments, yet the outcome was pretty underwhelming. Why? Corruption. Ask yourself why Chicoms, whose auto industry started off copying some soviet UAZ jeeps now have an auto industry that can threaten the likes of Tesla, while the Russian auto industry is only targetted at one type of customer (a bunch of low earning babushka and vatniks living in Russia's 3rd world like cities). Russia is not a meritocracy like China. I think they will give us South Asian's a challenge when it comes to nepotism and corruption. Putin, despite appearing to be anti-corruption, ended up exploiting corruption for his gain. He was naive enough to think he could get corrupt people to work in the interest of the country. But it hasn't really worked. The Russian elite is a bunch of hand-picked mob/mafia mentality groups picked by Putin and his inner circle. And Russia stagnated as a result. There was a time and place for strongmen like Putin to keep Russia forever. But the problem with Strongmen is they refuse to leave. And there's little you could do about that. Right now, Russia has a lot of domestic economic problems. Poverty is rising at an alarming rate. And this will erode Putin's popularity, which used to be pretty overwhelming only a few years ago. Putinism should've been replaced at least 10 years ago. Having been in power for this long, I think there is a possibility he is starting to go a little mad.

The biggest tragedy is, despite understanding Russia's perspective, Russia's complete failure to keep UA out of NATO by peaceful means. One has to understand the UA perspective. From their shoes, they only have to look to Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Czech Republic, even Romania, and Bulgaria, and see their economic prosperity. And then look at strongmen paradise-like Belarus, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and finally, Russia, which is poorer than Romania now. Regardless of whether western integration will actually transform them into economic prosperity (judging by the last 8 years, it didn't). But the appeal is very obvious. Russia, I'm sorry to say, cannot offer anything useful. There's a reason it hand selects a bunch of corrupt mafias/mob-like strongmen in its bordering countries. They only understand force, not prosperity. All talks about the Eurasian Union, economic integration of CIS countries, all of them were dismal failures delivering poor results.

TLDR: Nato pushed eastwards, forced RU into a corner. The Russian invasion of Ukraine is a symbol of violence being the tool of the incompetent

Sorry for any typo's/mistakes

Excellent overview,

I saw a recent 2019 interview of Gorbachev with the BBC, it is somewhat enlightening. However Gorbachev for one reason or another, keeps from openly criticizing Putin.

i would have thought that Russia would behave like a responsible state actor and all of these wargames and threats were just bluffs to give Russia some much needed leverage (from their perspective) in the negotiating table. You know maybe some sanctions relief or similar.

I used to subscribe to the idea of a Neoliberal Economist who once said '' Two countries that have McDonalds (insert fast food chain here ) will never go to war with each other, the economies will have too much to loose.'' here , Having a global fast food chain obviously means being connected to the world economy and having a reltatively well to do population.

Russia needs a buffer state or states, Donetsk, Luhansk, Crimea etc. are either buffers or vital to Russia's influence (Crimea and Naval bases in the Black Sea). You can't start fingering Russian dominance and expect them to stand idly by.

This was a pre-conceived disaster. Ukraine needed to stand neutral and not join NATO. My take for whatever it's worth....

Russia's GDP per Capita: $11,654 nominal, $29,485 PPP
Romania's GDP per Capita: $16,130 nominal, $34,066 PPP

I can't remember the exact figures, but Romania's minimum wage is some order of magnitude higher than Russia's. Not to mention average salaries. Russia has a lot of critical human development issues, like having an overall life expectancy lower than Bangladesh! Russia also has a lot of strengths. They don't need a very high nominal GDP to have a formidable military and shit on NATO expansionist dreams. Their GDP in PPP terms is quite large, and they're incredibly self-reliant technologically speaking. They have limitations in a lot of technologies (tech, microchips in particular), but they can replace western ones with Chicom.

People forget for a technologically autonomous country like RU, they don't need a high GDP in nominal terms to make scary weopons. Sure their economy isn't doing well by any degree, but it won't stop them militarily.

Back
Top Bottom