What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

I like these two as well, some really old standards sung in two different languages (Bengali and Hindi I believe).

No sophisticated instruments but oh do they take the cake in simplicity and honesty of expression...

I would disagree.

The music culture in Bangladesh is a lot different from that in India and Pakistan. We have traditionally boasted a very strong rock/heavy metal music scene which is not there in India and Pakistan. Most of these music bands come from vibrant underground scenes in major cities through their own struggles. Some of those music produced by Bangladeshi rock bands could be compared to any in the world, and I'm only being modest.

Indians and Pakistanis have a similar taste and are more fond of melodious pop/bollywood music, there is also this mutual language intelligibility (Hindi/Urdu) which is why Pakistani music could easily attract huge audience.

Pakistani musicians are surely talented but there are also certain things that the Coke Studio franchisee brings in which I think would be there in the Bangladeshi edition as well. I'm particularly excited about this venture because they have roped in Arnob, he's quite a talented musician and has the rare ability to please audience of all ages and classes! In case you haven't heard him,

We do lack in our presentation and broadcasting, which I hope the Coke Studio franchisee would take care of.

Well Bangladesh Rock scene is without parallel in the rest of the subcontinent as young folks rejected Bollywood music completely, even old Bangla standards as well.

Bangladeshi alternative Rock may also be a bit more developed than those countries, but it is limited to instrumental excellence.

How many of these musicians went to music school and can read sheet music...you can only excel so far in being self-taught. There is such a thing as music theory which has the basics these people have to understand...you can't just pull things out of your imagination and make it work. Writing music has basic discipline involved. :-)

You have to know your ABC's before you can write Essays about Kirkegaard or Sartre.

Bangladesher polapan hujugey ektu beshi nachey. Ar kisu nai, to dudher shaad gholei mitai.

Bangla lyrics for their rock tunes are really sub par, they have a long way to go on that count, not cutting them any slack there. Aping Pearl Jam and Sound Garden riffs and singing trite Bangla words that make zero sense got me really turned off on these Bangla rock people. Honesty and actual songwriting talent is a gaping hole.

Only recently has the local Rock music scene been truly maturing....and local clubs, gigs and paying fans are helping there.

Bhai back in college in the US I used to coordinate with tons of acts when they used to come play on campus, I am not exactly a noob in that arena. These Bangladeshi rock acts should open for the rest of regional rock acts (especially from Australia) and get some experience if they are so good. Problem is - most of these Bangladeshi guys do these local Dhaka gigs as a hobby, rather than as a profession. Therein lies the rub.

By the way, I know Arnab, his family is within my social circle, I know his story well.

He sings well but singing and arranging cultural gigs are two different things. Two entirely different talent streams.

I don't know if he has arranged a few gigs already.

I would disagree.

The music culture in Bangladesh is a lot different from that in India and Pakistan. We have traditionally boasted a very strong rock/heavy metal music scene which is not there in India and Pakistan. Most of these music bands come from vibrant underground scenes in major cities through their own struggles. Some of those music produced by Bangladeshi rock bands could be compared to any in the world, and I'm only being modest.

Indians and Pakistanis have a similar taste and are more fond of melodious pop/bollywood music, there is also this mutual language intelligibility (Hindi/Urdu) which is why Pakistani music could easily attract huge audience.

Pakistani musicians are surely talented but there are also certain things that the Coke Studio franchisee brings in which I think would be there in the Bangladeshi edition as well. I'm particularly excited about this venture because they have roped in Arnob, he's quite a talented musician and has the rare ability to please audience of all ages and classes! In case you haven't heard him,

We do lack in our presentation and broadcasting, which I hope the Coke Studio franchisee would take care of.

Agreed. Bangladeshi rock/metal scene is on a different level. Only Pakistani Rock bands come close.

Musician talent has never been problem, just the presentation.

Well Bangladesh Rock scene is without parallel in the rest of the subcontinent as young folks rejected Bollywood music completely, even old Bangla standards as well.

Bangladeshi alternative Rock may also be a bit more developed than those countries, but it is limited to instrumental excellence.

How many of these musicians went to music school and can read sheet music...you can only excel so far in being self-taught. There is such a thing as music theory which has the basics these people have to understand...you can't just pull things out of your imagination and make it work. Writing music has basic discipline involved. :-)

You have to know your ABC's before you can write Essays about Kirkegaard or Sartre.

Bangladesher polapan hujugey ektu beshi nachey. Ar kisu nai, to dudher shaad gholei mitai.

Bangla lyrics for their rock tunes are really sub par, they have a long way to go on that count, not cutting them any slack there. Aping Pearl Jam and Sound Garden riffs and singing trite Bangla words that make zero sense got me really turned off on these Bangla rock people. Honesty and actual songwriting talent is a gaping hole.

Only recently has the local Rock music scene been truly maturing....and local clubs, gigs and paying fans are helping there.

Bhai back in college in the US I used to coordinate with tons of acts when they used to come play on campus, I am not exactly a noob in that arena. These Bangladeshi rock acts should open for the rest of regional rock acts (especially from Australia) and get some experience if they are so good. Problem is - most of these Bangladeshi guys do these local Dhaka gigs as a hobby, rather than as a profession. Therein lies the rub.

By the way, I know Arnab, his family is within my social circle, I know his story well.

He sings well but singing and arranging cultural gigs are two different things. Two entirely different talent streams.

I don't know if he has arranged a few gigs already.

Interesting read.
I would just add one thing here, that South Asian musical traditions are based on Gharana system, traditionally writing music in the western sense does not come into it, but it is just as advanced if not more so then the western system of music, it is just different. I suppose in the new age, the need to systemise our musical traditions will be a requirement because not many students would be willing to spend their lifetime with an Ustad.

Modern requirements aside, the Gharana system is in many ways superior to the western system. Nusrat, Rahat and dozens of others never wrote their music before recitals, they are largely poems or nazms and the interplay between the musicians and the singers is largely spontaneous. I think it would be wrong to assume we lack something just because it is a different tradition. Granted that the need to codify our musical traditions is fast approaching.

Damn we had real Rhinos in BD ?

19 January, 2022, 03:55 pm
Last modified: 19 January, 2022, 06:18 pm

Lost rhinoceroses of Bangladesh
Bangladesh was once a biogeographical wonder for holding all three Asian rhinoceroses.
Indian Rhinoceros. Photo: Collected

The Indian, Sumatran and Javan—all of the three rhinoceroses of Asia once roamed the land, which we today call Bangladesh.
From the Sundarbans, to the coastal marshes, to the forests of eastern Bangladesh—rhinoceroses stomped and grazed with pride. By the late 19th century, rhinoceroses ceased to exist in the mangroves and marshes.
Although they may have enjoyed a little respite for a little longer in the rugged terrains of the Hill Tracts, today, all three rhinoceroses are severely threatened with extinction.

Javan Rhinoceros. Photo: Collected

Species profile and global status
Indian rhinoceros
(Rhinoceros unicornis) vulnerable
Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) critically endangered
Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) critically endangered
Of the three, the Indian rhinoceros is somewhat in a stable state. Spread across the plains of Nepal and eastern India, today, they are numbered around 4,000 individuals. The Sumatran and Javan rhinoceroses are truly on their last legs as only a few 100 specimens are surviving in the ever-vanishing jungles of the Indonesian archipelago.
Sumatran Rhinoceros. Photo: Collected
>

Several breeding programmes have been taken to save these rhinos, but there has been no mentionable success so far. The female Sumatran rhinoceros called 'Begum' was perhaps the last of its kind that had been collected from the Sundarbans and later shown at the London Zoo from 15 February 1872 to 31 August 1900.

Damn we had real Rhinos in BD ?

19 January, 2022, 03:55 pm
Last modified: 19 January, 2022, 06:18 pm

Lost rhinoceroses of Bangladesh
Bangladesh was once a biogeographical wonder for holding all three Asian rhinoceroses.

The Indian, Sumatran and Javan—all of the three rhinoceroses of Asia once roamed the land, which we today call Bangladesh.
From the Sundarbans, to the coastal marshes, to the forests of eastern Bangladesh—rhinoceroses stomped and grazed with pride. By the late 19th century, rhinoceroses ceased to exist in the mangroves and marshes.
Although they may have enjoyed a little respite for a little longer in the rugged terrains of the Hill Tracts, today, all three rhinoceroses are severely threatened with extinction.

Species profile and global status
Indian rhinoceros
(Rhinoceros unicornis) vulnerable
Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) critically endangered
Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) critically endangered
Of the three, the Indian rhinoceros is somewhat in a stable state. Spread across the plains of Nepal and eastern India, today, they are numbered around 4,000 individuals. The Sumatran and Javan rhinoceroses are truly on their last legs as only a few 100 specimens are surviving in the ever-vanishing jungles of the Indonesian archipelago.
>

Several breeding programmes have been taken to save these rhinos, but there has been no mentionable success so far. The female Sumatran rhinoceros called 'Begum' was perhaps the last of its kind that had been collected from the Sundarbans and later shown at the London Zoo from 15 February 1872 to 31 August 1900.

Yes we did - extinct or close to it - due to expansion of human encroachment.

We have Malaysian Sun Bears too (and other Asian bear varieties) but those are declining as well. Time to shore up conservation efforts.

Go karting and Paintballing in Dhaka...

go_kart_8.jpg

go_kart.jpg

United Group is launching the country’s second go-kart arena. From 21 January onward, people can enjoy this outdoor recreational activity

In a concrete jungle like Dhaka, recreation is usually limited to the mesh of fancy restaurants. Scope for adventure or outdoor recreational activity is barely available and greenery is mostly considered a luxury.

In order to counter this situation, a new project named 'Go Kart Courtside' has come to life.

This sport is one of a kind fun activity that brings people from all walks of life together with one common thread - the love for adventure. Photo: Noor-A-Alam

This sport is one of a kind fun activity that brings people from all walks of life together with one common thread - the love for adventure. Photo: Noor-A-Alam

Located in Madani Avenue, United City, just beside Chef's Table Courtside, this project is a motorsport road racing zone, operated with open-wheeled vehicles, popularly known as a 'Kart.'

After Xtreme Racing in Ashulia, Go Kart is Bangladesh's second kart racing platform, and that too within the city.

go_kart_2.jpg

This sport is one of a kind fun activity that brings people from all walks of life together with one common thread - the love for adventure.

The project has been engineered and developed by United Group, and a dream project of Moinuddin Hasan Rashid, Chairman and Managing Director of United Group, who likes to think out of the box.

Photo: Noor-A-Alam

"Of course, Go Kart Courtside is one of our commercial projects and we intend to make it financially viable, but we have a greater purpose to serve with this project.

United Group is dedicated to designing a quality life for the people, providing them with the joy they deserve," added Sheikh Md Faruk Hossain, Director, Sales and Marketing, United Property Solutions Ltd.

The cheapest package is the single race that costs Tk500 for a ride. A single race concludes at three laps on the track which adds up to a distance of about 1.3 kilometres.

The project will be launched on 21 January 2022, Friday.

Logistics, location and promises

Even though kart racing is a sport intended mostly for adults, Go Kart Courtside will facilitate amusement for all. For children, they have set up a bumper car zone. There will also be a restaurant and a retail shop on the premises.

"We wanted to make it a place for all age groups; hence, we are trying to add more facilities and features. Our infrastructure is carefully designed [also] for corporate bookings as a large number of corporate individuals come to play sports at Courtside on a regular basis," added Faruk Hossain.

The location of this particular project has a strategic importance in the expansion of eastern Dhaka. United Group believes that United City in east Dhaka is going to be the next big thing in the country.

The establishment of this whole project covers a total area of approximately 4.7 acres, including a scaled-down circuit of 460 metres; which is the longest track in the country.

To make the sport more exciting, there is a plan to add interesting gamification modules such as 'Hall of Fame,' where a leaderboard will show the names of top racers who have the shortest lap time. There will also be tournaments where the best racers and teams will compete with each other.

Go Kart will initially start their operation with 12 karts, and a dedicated team of about 15 people. Three of them will continuously monitor the strategic points and wave warning flags to prevent accidents. In addition, there will be medical facilities for emergencies.

Made by Honda engines, all the karts are imported from abroad.

Go Kart Courtside aims to ensure the highest possible safety features for the riders. To enjoy this sport, riders will have to go through a series of safety protocols.

Prior to racing, riders will be guided by professional instructors and will be provided with a flyer highlighting the racing zones, rules and regulations. The riders must also sign a waiver form, and wear a helmet and the racing tracksuit provided by the authority at all times while on the track.

And riders also have to strictly maintain the Covid-19 safety protocols. Moreover, the Go Kart authority will hold the power to ban any player for rule violation.

Anyone above 15 years of age can enjoy the ride, but a minimum height of five feet is mandatory. Go Kart will offer five different packages, including single race, race with friends, team race, corporate member race, and race with family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for an exhilarating new way to spend some quality time with your friends? Ground Zero just might be worth a look

Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I ducked for cover behind some rubber tires while red paintballs whistled past me. Most of my teammates had already been eliminated, there were only two of us left against the remaining four opponents.

The clock was ticking and my paintball supply was running low- I only had three rounds left. With a deep breath I rushed from cover to cover and fired the paintball gun. I missed, and my opponents shot me in the arm painting it pink. The game was all over but the boys and I wanted a rematch.

ground_zero_photo_noor_1.jpg

Photo: Noor A Alam

This was the scene, a few days back, at Ground Zero, the country's only paintball centre situated in Vatara near Bashundhara (you can easily locate it via Google Maps). The local paintball scene is relatively new yet quite popular as we had to book a primetime Friday slot nearly a week in advance. In fact, according to the co-founder of Ground Zero, being fully booked is a regular occurrence.

Either way, if you are looking for an honest review or wondering what paintball even is, I would suggest you read on.

Photo caption: The Ground Zero facility can host ten players at a time with five on each team. Photo: Noor A Alam
2._ground_zero_photo_noor.jpg

Wait, what is paintball again?

In a nutshell, paintball is a competitive sport where players try to eliminate opponents by shooting them with paintballs (colour-filled jellylike projectiles) in teams. It combines situational awareness, strategy and shooting skills, that even for first-timers is a fun and thrilling experience.

There are multiple ways to play paintball including capture the flag, team elimination, free for all and bomb defusal, although Ground Zero only offers 2-shot team elimination at the moment.

In this mode, two teams start on opposite ends of the grounds and try to be the last team standing. The staff at Ground Zero were very helpful and informative about the rules of engagements and the specifics of gameplay.

The timer starts

We had to be mindful of how many paintballs we fired as each player is allocated a limited number of paintballs per round. Moreover, aiming the paintballs properly took a little getting used to because most of us had no prior shooting experience. There were plenty of obstacles and barriers on the ground so it was very fun hiding, moving from cover to cover and firing.

Although one can book a slot for an hour, the round actually ends much quicker especially if you are a first-timer. Players can also choose to play more rounds within the booked slot. Each round costs Tk200 per person

I would recommend layering up with a hoodie before you play to reduce the impact of the paintballs (yes, they can hurt but only as much as it would if you snapped a rubber band), although the centre provides each player with his/her own jumpsuit which prevents staining. The same goes for paintballs and paintball guns as Ground Zero is fully stocked with imported equipment.

The facility can host ten players at a time with five on each team, although four-a-side games are quite common as well. Carpooling to Ground Zero may be a good idea in that regard as it is quite far away from the centre of the city.

ground_zero_photo_noor.jpg

A foray into the paintball business

The paintball centre was co-founded by Shadman Nasir and six of his best friends: Helal, Belal, Karim, Jainul, Tabrez and Saquib. Though the idea formed as early as 2017, business only began in February, 2020.

"It took us almost two years to sort out the paperwork and get permission from the authorities. It took so long because the paintball guns looked similar to actual guns and we had to keep explaining that we were not importing weapons," Shadman recalled.

Talking about the average footfall at Ground Zero, the co-founder explained that before the pandemic the centre used to host around 25-30 games each day (each game usually lasts around 20 minutes although they can last longer), starting from 11 AM to 12-12:30 AM.

"During the pandemic, we had to take some safety precautions so we reduced the number of games played daily to around 8-10," Shadman added. This reduction in the number of slots available per day means that enthusiasts are advised to book in advance directly via Ground Zero's Facebook page, especially during weekends.

Luckily for the inhabitants of Chattogram, Ground Zero plans to open a larger facility in the port city soon, complete with a new layout, additional game mode (capture the flag), long-range weapons and even smoke grenades.

Talking more about Ground Zero's plans for the future, Shadman said, "We plan on introducing paintball as a sport in Bangladesh like cricket and football. It is quite popular in countries like the USA and Canada. They even have their own national teams."

ground_zero_photo_noor__0.jpg

Worth the trip?

If you enjoyed playing laser tag with your friends, you will love paintball. There are, however, a few things you should consider before booking a slot and heading to Ground Zero with your friends.

Firstly, if you wear glasses, make sure the frames are not too large as it may not fit perfectly into the face protection Ground Zero will give. Moreover, the goggles do tend to fog up so it is important to adjust them properly. Furthermore, because aiming the paintball gun does take a bit of getting used to, I would recommend taking enough cash to go for at least two rounds.

One thing I think Ground Zero should provide is protective gloves for the players although the chance of getting hit in the hands is quite low. On the other hand, you do not need to worry about your belongings as the paintball centre offers lockers to keep your phone and wallets in. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby to chill afterwards if the food court at Ground Zero is not enough.

If you are looking to have a good action-filled time with your friends by trying something new, Ground Zero is definitely the place to be. You can also check out the vlogs on Youtube about Ground Zero if you are still unsure and want to see the action unfold.

There are also plans to introduce year-long membership cards in four categories (Carbon, Platinum, Gold, Silver) for loyal customers, which will include discounts in rides, as well as discounts for certain restaurants in Chef's Table Courtside.

As of now, the biggest challenge of Go Kart Courtside is to reassure people about their services since many people have trust issues with local services and safety protocols.

However, since customers are already happy with the services of the courtside sports zone and Chef's Table Courtside, the management of United Group is confident that Go Kart Courtside will be the next big attraction for adrenaline-seekers.

Last edited:
Go-karting, a new addition at Courtside

go-karting_a_new_addition_at_courtside.jpeg

City Desk
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 AM

United Group has introduced a brand new activity on its Courtside premises: go-kart racing, said a press release.

Go-karting, in simple terms, is best described as a miniature version of F1 racing. It's accessible to professionals, amateurs and newbies.

Anyone above 15 years of age can take part in the activity, but their height has to be at least five feet, the release added.

Situated at the capital's Madani Avenue, United City, Courtside is a multipurpose zone primarily designed for families, students and corporate employees.

At the inauguration event yesterday, United Group advisor Khandaker Moinul Ahsan Shamim, chairperson and managing director Moinuddin Hasan Rashid, director Malik Talha Ismail Bari and director of marketing at United Real-estate Division Sheikh Mohammad Faruk Hossain were present among other directors and senior officials.

Moinuddin Hasan said, "This project is specifically designed for those who do not want to remain enclosed between four walls."

"United Group is dedicated to designing a quality life for people, providing them with the joy they deserve," said Sheikh Md Faruk Hossain, director of sales and marketing at United Property Solutions Ltd.

"We wanted to make it a place for all age groups; hence, we are trying to add more facilities and features. Our infrastructure is carefully designed for corporate bookings [as well], as a large number of corporate individuals come to play at Courtside regularly," added Faruk Hossain.

We have some really talented visual art illustrators in the new generation in Bangladesh, one of them is Shafrin Islam. Her portfolio examples shown below.

Thumbnail-5-min.jpg

Art has historically been a form of interpretation, representation and expression. For the up-and-coming artist, Shafrin Islam, it is an opportunity to create her own idiosyncratic world, graciously allowing all those who indulge to become a part of an intricate escapist fantasy.

Firecracker-Illustration-final-min-1024x1024.jpg

The visual development artist has acknowledged using her art as her main form of communication, drawing inspiration from what most view as mundane. She immerses herself in the observation and understanding of nature, exceedingly opposed to what she deems as the “chaotic nature of modern society.”

Always on the move with her family, Shafrin Islam was rarely allotted the opportunity to put down roots. Nevertheless, this was no dissuasion from collecting bits and pieces as from each of her adventures to take with her, later be used to incorporate into her art, aiding in the creation of each of the unique spaces she could call home inside the imaginary world of her own making. Shafrin shares the emphasis she puts on the importance of noticing the details in the fleeting moments of everyday life, to drive her creative process and fuel her motivation.

Imphal-Talkies-Poster-Illustration-mixed-media-min-768x1024.jpg

Shafrin-Self-Portrait-min-839x1024.jpg

“Even now, I carry my sketchbook everywhere I go. My love for collecting stories is profound. I like meeting new people, going to new places solely to collect stories to inspire me to create my illustrations.”

Akin to her nomadic lifestyle, Shafrin also has an interdisciplinary background, with proficiencies in eclectic artistic mediums, some of which being stop-motion animation and 2d elements in illustrated works. Leaving behind her fear of working with digital art, the young artist submerged herself into graphic design and video editing. Indulging her fascination with filmmaking, especially in the criteria of animated film, allowed her to reach her ever-growing potential as a creator.

According to Shafrin, long term experimentations with various techniques and mixed media has opened a gateway of technical skills and knowledge, “I feel like this is one of the best perks of self-learning, you know you keep getting better at anything you do once you constantly pour effort into it, and there is no limitation to it.”

Mixed-Media-Album-Art-min-1024x1024.jpg

Holding true to her childhood companions of animated films, cartoons, anime, storybooks, graphic novels; she scatters these themes throughout her artworks, creating a network of motifs that are a distinctive signature of Shafrin Islam. These delightful easter eggs add another layer of whimsy to her already fantastical world held within a canvas.

Her admiration of Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki shines through in both her style and her exploration of the relationship of humanity and nature, alongside a vivid colour palette of pastels brought to life through animations. Elaborating her preference for pastels and the role of serenity, Shafrin states, “I most identify with watercolour, because of the calm and meditative method of painting. I love the different kinds of texture it can create depending on the medium of paper used. I also love adding handmade elements like clay objects or paper cutouts.”

IMGL3319-min-1024x683.jpg

IMGL3398-min-683x1024.jpg

Shafrin Islam

Starting her career with the creation of album art for a close friend of hers, Shafrin has now expanded into various ventures both local and international. Her first animated short called ‘BOTTLED UP’ was an animation that incorporated mixed media components, focusing on elements relating to the topic of mental health. Currently, Shafrin Islam is the owner of a new venture by the name of SOCK n’ ROLL, where she designs socks. Letting her partners focus on the business aspects allows her to put her all focus on art direction and coming up with fun new designs.

Also, the co-creator of Bakorkhani Manuscript, a comic series, a project funded by a grant won under the Fellowship of Brac, blast, and Crea. Shafrin Islam uses satire to explore themes surrounding gender-based violence, filming a live-action video with 2d animation shot entirely in Puran Dhaka to stay true to the tradition of the Bakorkhani. Shafrin explains, “I plan to expand this project with the other creator of this project and focus on socio-behavioural issues to give voice to the unheard.”

Primarily aiming to create works of art that resonate with people, Shafrin continues to experiment, pushing forwards to exceed the boundaries that she has set for herself, making sure to see her current and future endeavors through

সম্রাট আকবরের বশ্যতা অস্বীকার করা এক বীরযোদ্ধা || Masnad E Ala Isa Khan

Isa Khan. He didn't bow to Mughal Emperor Akbar

Interesting annals of history.

As the capital of the fifteenth-century Bengal ruler Isa Khan, and once an important trading and political center, Sonargaon boasts architecture of the Sultanate, Mughal, and colonial periods. The Sonargaon historic city, located near the present-day capital of Dhaka, includes several Mughal monuments—among them the Sonakanda River Fort, the Panch Pir Mazar Shrine, and Ibrahim's and Abdul Hamid's Mosque.

British colonial architecture preserved in Sonargaon includes the Ananda Mohan Piddar House, and other street-front houses. For travelers making their way along the 2,500-kilometer Grand Trunk Road from Peshawar in the Hindu Kush, Sonargaon marked the end of the line. Threats to the site include flooding, vandalism, unauthorized occupation, illegal development, poor maintenance, and earthquakes.

The low-lying terrain of Bangladesh is especially vulnerable to the impacts of global climate change, particularly flooding and rising sea levels. Currently, most of Sonargaon's masonry buildings suffer from rising damp and biological and insect damage to architectural woodwork.

Structural failure is evident in some buildings. At several significant monuments, restoration works have been undertaken in an ad hoc fashion by the nation's Department of Archaeology; however that institution lacks sufficient funding to carry out the considerable conservation work needed at the site, and requires additional support to develop plans for the city's future.

Bara Sardar Bari in Sonargaon (Khijirpur was the name given to Swarnagram during Isa Khan's time) has been renovated Thanks to Kihak Sung of YoungOne, a Korean investor and lifelong friend of Bangladesh. The structure dates from late 1400 to early 1500's.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonargaon Bara Sardar Bari shines after restoration​

UNB . Dhaka
13 Oct 2021 00:06:24 | Update: 13 Oct 2021 00:06:24

Sonargaon Bara Sardar Bari shines after restoration

A view of Bara Sardar Bari in Sonargaon after restoration – UNB Photo

Bara Sardar Bari, one of the most significant heritage sites in Sonargaon, is a shining example of restoration of heritage site in Bangladesh in the truest sense, not just renovation, says architect and architectural conservation specialist Prof Dr Abu Sayeed Mostaque Ahmed.

It is rare to get an entire one year or more purely to do research before the start of restoration work in Bangladesh.

"I'm lucky as I was given the time to do required research first," said Prof Sayeed, Project Director of the Baro Sardar Bari restoration.

South Korea-based global conglomerate Youngone Corporation restored Baro Sardar Bari in Sonargaon which is the first attempt to preserve a cultural heritage site in Bangladesh.

"Kihak Sung had a dream to restore a building in Bangladesh and he chose Baro Sardar Bari after visiting many places across Bangladesh," said the architect.

Youngone Corporation Chairman and CEO Kihak Sung restored his own village home and he has a personal interest in restoration.

Sung wanted to apply what he learned from his home and pursued hard to restore the whole Panam City as he believes this kind of restoration project is a really to be built into the culture of Bangladesh so that the people can enjoy and be proud of what their ancestors done before.

Prof Sayeed said there is a need to search their identity and heritage once the basic needs like health, education, food and shelter are met. "We've to preserve and conserve our heritage buildings."

He said Kihak Sung wanted to give something to Bangladesh and its future generation through restoration of Bara Sardar Bari instead of something in terms of money.

South Korean Ambassador to Bangladesh Lee Jang-keun, who visited Sonargaon on Monday for the first time, said, "I'm very happy to be here. I feel so close to this country. It's very impressive."

Korean EPZ President Jahangir Saadat said it is unique because this is the first of its kind in Bangladesh for a private sector company like Youngone Corporation to take up a restoration project of a famous heritage site.

Recalling the days of restoration works, Sadat said Kihak Sung was looking for things so perfectly with the original design that they had to go for frequent changes.

"He really wanted to leave a legacy to the people of Bangladesh, particularly for the younger generation who would be proud to glorious past as reflected in the heritage site. This is something very encouraging," said the KEPZ President.

Kihak Sung who personally monitored and saw the implementation works says restoration is not his profession but this is something he likes do for his own satisfaction, satisfaction of his friends and families and people around him.

"When we talk about this kind of restoration project, we never know you can really finish it. Before finishing it really, you can't sleep well," he said.

Prof Sayeed said the main goal of conservation is to give a longer life to a building. "We've been successful."

South Korean Ambassador Lee said he has many ideas on cultural front as the two countries will chalk out programmes to celebrate the 50 years of their diplomatic relations.

The restoration of Bara Sardar Bari was made possible through a unique public-private partnership between the Ministry of Cultural Affairs, government of Bangladesh and Youngone.

Youngone had undertaken an initiative to conserve this building in an authentic and scientific manner as part of the social responsibility and commitment towards Bangladesh.

Also, extensive research was conducted to restore the building to its original grandeur. The restoration included the facade, ornamentation, inner courtyard reconstruction and plastering of interior walls.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1280px-%E0%A6%88%E0%A6%B6%E0%A6%BE_%E0%A6%96%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%81%E0%A6%B0_%E0%A6%AA%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%A6.jpg

Extremely detailed record of the restoration process.

Before/After shots here,

The restoration project has gone a long way in reviving and modernizing the masonry crafts tradition locally extant in Bangladesh with new modern materials and techniques where appropriate. The restoration director did an excellent job, something to be proud of. And a huge vote of thanks to Chairman Kihak Sung for so graciously gifting us a superb example of our heritage and our past.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom