What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

that's great i only have the Mig-29 in DCS (to learn the basics) . Not very fond of the propeller birds in sim because you have to worry about the aileron ,elevator and rudder trim without which you end up on on a pile of burning metal and grass somewhere.

Haha, that's what makes them fun. At first, it's super frustrating because flying a warbird is a lot harder than a jet. Even takeoffs in a high-powered tail-dragging WW2 fighter is pretty challenging. But once you learn it, you get an immense sense of satisfaction

The other difficult aspect is engine management. You don't just have a throttle to play with like a jet engine. You have mixture controls, propeller pitch, engine rpm, throttle (independent of engine rpm, unlike a car), supercharger settings, oil cooler settings, cowl flaps (for radial engines), radiator flaps (for inlines), and war emergency power. The FW190 had this wonderful system called Kommandogeret which took care of all that automatically, so the pilot only had to worry about a single throttle lever. On a P-47 or Spitfire, you control the throttle and engine rpm independently, so it's a bit more tricky.

My Xmas gift to myself

An Ibanez SR2605CBB bass.

Made in Indonesia apparently. So was my previous bass guitar (Yamaha TRBX504)

Got me thinking about whether Bangladesh can ever hack into the musical instrument export business like Indonesia. This is a very premium guitar from a Japanese manufacturer. But they're quite happy to make them in Indonesia to meet their quality and craftmanship standards at a reasonable cost.

They do make guitars in Bangladesh (and drum sets too, that I have seen), but export grade is something else.

None of these instruments are hard to make, but you have to have the export market established first, then you can setup the factories.

Musical instruments are a niche market (though the process of making these is very hard manual labor), there are lots of other avenues to add value which have much more demand.
well spotted

Those are my older build and ended up in the shit shelf xD. A lot of them are damaged or weren't built/painted that well in the first place. Especially the Me-262, which is completely trashed

The F-15 had its undercarriage broken, so I glued in the gear bay doors. I had issues with the paint, they're not very accurate. The FW190 landing gear is very wonky. It's an F8 ground pounding version, forgot which Geschwader

What kind of Airbrush are you using and what type of airbrush paint? :-)

Looks like 1/32nd scale for some of them? The new tool Revell 1/32nd FW 190 late version is quite good. And you can also add the Eduard super-detailing set with PE.

Last edited:
They do make guitars in Bangladesh (and drum sets too, that I have seen), but export grade is something else.

None of these instruments are hard to make, but you have to have the export market established first, then you can setup the factories.

Musical instruments are a niche market (though the process of making these is very hard manual labor), there are lots of other avenues to add value which have much more demand.

What kind of Airbrush are you using and what type of airbrush paint? :-)

Looks like 1/32nd scale for some of them? The new tool Revell 1/32nd FW 190 late version is quite good. And you can also add the Eduard super-detailing set with PE.

Oh another modeler I see :D

I use a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR plus. Bought it 6 years ago, still works like new. Fantastic investment. The new (about 4 years old now) Revell FW-190 is a very nice kit, just as nice as the much more expensive Hasegawa kit of the same scale. It's accurate, details are crisp and it fits together very well. I'd love to build more Tamiya 1:32 stuff, but sadly don't have the space for modeling these days as I don't have a permenant location. I'll be in Germany in a few months time

Oh another modeler I see :D

I use a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR plus. Bought it 6 years ago, still works like new. Fantastic investment. The new (about 4 years old now) Revell FW-190 is a very nice kit, just as nice as the much more expensive Hasegawa kit of the same scale. It's accurate, details are crisp and it fits together very well. I'd love to build more Tamiya 1:32 stuff, but sadly don't have the space for modeling these days as I don't have a permenant location. I'll be in Germany in a few months time

I've built a few pieces of 1/72 and 1/48 armor in the recent past and also 1/144 airliners. You'll be surprised how detailed some of the new 1:72 armor is - from Polish and Chinese producers. Most of the new stuff comes with PE and when finished properly - look like little gems. An Abrams will fit in your palm, which can have complete PE bar armor, turned barrel and you can go to town on buying aftermarket tracks etc. to make it into a masterpiece.

Fighters I limited to 1/48 which is pricewise the best bet. As usual have a very large stash and a dozen airbrushes (mostly gravity feed), a few of them really good ones by Iwata. H&S is expensive stateside but Iwata parts are available everywhere in the US and they have universal following by modelers in the West Coast.

At one time I wanted to build Biman's complete fleet in 1/144 and even wanted to print my own decals that were not available but will be happy if I can build the jets only, which have silkscreen and laser printed decals (new scheme) widely available from commercial sellers now. Russians (ZVEZDA) produce the best armor and civil jets, their latest civilian jet stuff in 1/144 comes with double fan blade sets for each engine, which comprises more than two dozen parts just for the engines. Detail is quite good and they also produce some of the Revell civil jets as OEM.

iu

iu

iu

iu

Used to use solvent-based paints but have switched to all Tamiya water-based now. Back in the day I was a stickler for FS numbers etc. for accuracy and serious pre/post shading but nowadays I have loosened up on that considerably, and use the TLAR ("That looks about right") principle. Life is too short.

But you'll be surprised when you go to shows and monthly meets how critical some of these modeler people are about Soviet MiG interior colors and Bulgarian Tank markings. Some arguments have gone to fisticuffs that I have seen! Maramari shuru hoye jai! :lol:

Some of these people have almost no life other than delve into this minutiae.

My point is, do it to have fun and to please yourself, not others. People forget that.

Last edited:
Parents are coming up with a lot of marriage proposals

But, at the risk of being incredibly provocative, I can't bring myself to be physically attracted to 95% of Bengali women. They're incredibly difficult to like. I just can't do it.

My dad is doing most of the searches. TBH I think he cares much more about the girl's family background more than anything else.

There was this proposal, a daughter of some retired rear admiral. "She's just like you, she's an aerospace engineer". I did a little bit of digging. She studied aerospace engineering at some insignificant university in Bangladesh (that world-renowned mIliTaRy iNsTiTuTe of Taaaknalagy"), but works in a beauty salon. Well worth the tuition fee her parents paid for. Which totally wasn't from ghush money from the various business her dad owns...

No offense to hairdressers, but it's not a match that's destined to work. A spoilt army brASShats daughter who never had to work hard in her life vs someone who had to work his arse off in a country Bengali's like me generally don't do very well in (UK).

The ones you end up liking (at least physically) always have this high-brow "bhaab" if you know what I mean. I have met women from other ethnicities that are far more attractive, with much more rounded personalities yet somehow lack such "bhaab".

Not worth it. Especially when you factor in the divorce rates in Bangladesh. It's not like marrying a Bengali is a guarantee for eternal family bliss and stability these days

Last edited:
Parents are coming up with a lot of marriage proposals

But, at the risk of being incredibly provocative, I can't bring myself to be physically attracted to 95% of Bengali women. They're incredibly difficult to like. I just can't do it.

My dad is doing most of the searches. TBH I think he cares much more about the girl's family background more than anything else.

There was this proposal, a daughter of some retired rear admiral. "She's just like you, she's an aerospace engineer". I did a little bit of digging. She studied aerospace engineering at some insignificant university in Bangladesh (that world-renowned mIliTaRy iNsTiTuTe of Taaaknalagy"), but works in a beauty salon. Well worth the tuition fee her parents paid for. Which totally wasn't from ghush money from the various business her dad owns...

No offense to hairdressers, but it's not a match that's destined to work. A spoilt army brASShats daughter who never had to work hard in her life vs someone who had to work his arse off in a country Bengali's like me generally don't do very well in (UK).

The ones you end up liking (at least physically) always have this high-brow "bhaab" if you know what I mean. I have met women from other ethnicities that are far more attractive, with much more rounded personalities yet somehow lack such "bhaab".

Not worth it. Especially when you factor in the divorce rates in Bangladesh. It's not like marrying a Bengali is a guarantee for eternal family bliss and stability these days

Don't settle for second best.

If you have to wait, you wait. Ms. Right will come along sooner or later, but you got to keep up the effort and search.

He is actually right in his objective. Liberalism and class-less approaches notwithstanding, pedigree, education and family background is VERY important where we come from. A lot more important than most people think.

In Bangladesh, it takes three generation of education AND wealth to learn decency, good behavior and consideration for others. Even then, some people with money for that long are hopelessly rude, selfish and devoid of manners.

And yes, pass on the hairdresser. :-)

I am sure she will find her man too, but you don't have to be her husband.

Don't get impressed by make up and paint. Women not born with natural beauty can fake it these days a million and one ways.

Focus on the inner qualities. Well-read, kind, gentle, thoughtful, educated (meaning truly educated and can keep up with you intellectually).

Spend at least two/three years to get to know this woman before you commit. If they like you and think you're worth it, they will wait.

This woman is going to carry your children, choose carefully.

No need to hurry. Tell Uncle and Aunty you want to wait for the right woman and they will get their grandbabies soon.

Bangladeshi girls are increasingly snooty and highbrow, I would not focus exclusively on Bangladeshi girls, the world is a big place.

Don't settle for second best.

If you have to wait, you wait. Ms. Right will come along sooner or later, but you got to keep up the effort and search.

He is actually right in his objective. Liberalism and class-less approaches notwithstanding, pedigree, education and family background is VERY important where we come from. A lot more important than most people think.

In Bangladesh, it takes three generation of education AND wealth to learn decency, good behavior and consideration for others. Even then, some people with money for that long are hopelessly rude, selfish and devoid of manners.

And yes, pass on the hairdresser. :-)

I am sure she will find her man too, but you don't have to be her husband.

Don't get impressed by make up and paint. Women not born with natural beauty can fake it these days a million and one ways.

Focus on the inner qualities. Well-read, kind, gentle, thoughtful, educated (meaning truly educated and can keep up with you intellectually).

Spend at least two/three years to get to know this woman before you commit. If they like you and think you're worth it, they will wait.

This woman is going to carry your children, choose carefully.

No need to hurry. Tell Uncle and Aunty you want to wait for the right woman and they will get their grandbabies soon.

Bangladeshi girls are increasingly snooty and highbrow, I would not focus exclusively on Bangladeshi girls, the world is a big place.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, as always

My dad is actually the more open-minded. He once told me "bangali meya beshi family politics kore, beshi hindi gaan/natok dekhe, onnoi meya paylee bhaloo" lmfao. Though now I think he puts a little too much emphasis on family background for personal reasons. He is a hyper extrovert with a MASSIVE network. Unlike me, I'm the hyper opposite. I have like 6 people I call my actual friends. Hence the need to outsource...

Luckily my parents aren't backward, and neither is my family network, both sides. They themselves had a love marriage. They asked me if they can search on my behalf, and I said yes. But the quality of matches is just lacking so far. Though the search pool has improved. I gave him a hint that girls from Bangladesh just won't work. I live/work in four countries as part of my job, one of them is China. Bangladeshi graduates can't find very good jobs here, forget about the other countries, especially China. I'm not rich enough to have a single-income household. Those days are well gone, even if I wanted that kinda stuff (which I don't). So now they're looking for Bangladeshi's who recently moved to the UK for further study or work. Having done a Ph.D. for the last 6 years, I'm not sure If I want to marry a Ph.D. student... Way too much stress for a new marriage. I waited until I finished (which took 1 extra year due to covid). If they want to take either their marriage or Ph.D. seriously, I'd advise them to complete it first, then talk.

We're avoiding British-born types for various reasons :V. American/Canadian meya also not possible. Because they'll never want to leave North America. And I don't want to live in the USA either. Despite having this phase once when I wanted to move there for the mega salary. But my heart is set on East Asia.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, as always

My dad is actually the more open-minded. He once told me "bangali meya beshi family politics kore, beshi hindi gaan/natok dekhe, onnoi meya paylee bhaloo" lmfao. Though now I think he puts a little too much emphasis on family background for personal reasons. He is a hyper extrovert with a MASSIVE network. Unlike me, I'm the hyper opposite. I have like 6 people I call my actual friends. Hence the need to outsource...

Luckily my parents aren't backward, and neither is my family network, both sides. They themselves had a love marriage. They asked me if they can search on my behalf, and I said yes. But the quality of matches is just lacking so far. Though the search pool has improved. I gave him a hint that girls from Bangladesh just won't work. I live/work in four countries as part of my job, one of them is China. Bangladeshi graduates can't find very good jobs here, forget about the other countries, especially China. I'm not rich enough to have a single-income household. Those days are well gone, even if I wanted that kinda stuff (which I don't). So now they're looking for Bangladeshi's who recently moved to the UK for further study or work. Having done a Ph.D. for the last 6 years, I'm not sure If I want to marry a Ph.D. student... Way too much stress for a new marriage. I waited until I finished (which took 1 extra year due to covid). If they want to take either their marriage or Ph.D. seriously, I'd advise them to complete it first, then talk.

We're avoiding British-born types for various reasons :V. American/Canadian meya also not possible. Because they'll never want to leave North America. And I don't want to live in the USA either. Despite having this phase once when I wanted to move there for the mega salary. But my heart is set on East Asia.

Well Bangladesh has 80 million women, and out of those I'd say at least a few million or so are surely marriageable early twenty something age.

I should take back the comment I made about all Bangladeshi women being highbrow and nitpicky. But I think they are just being careful because too many men are "chapabaz" pretenders and frauds.

If you get very picky, you could find women doing searches online (there are quite a few accomplished young women you can find on LinkedIn or other professional social networks, not garbage social media like Facebook or worse, WhatsApp groups, which is also owned by Facebook/Meta). LinkedIn Bangladesh has a separate domain I think.

There were 3,864,000 LinkedIn users in Bangladesh in November 2020, which accounted for 2.2% of its entire population. People aged 25 to 34 were the largest user group (2,100,000).

I'd go to LinkedIn and search for young women belonging to focus groups in the NGO field (Use keywords such as Bangladesh and Women), these are usually bright young women from good educated families. BRACworld I believe is one of these, good luck. Don't tell anyone I told you. :-)

Of course you could take a mid-to long-ish sabbatical to come home and start socializing with a few and widen your net after finding and befriending them online on some pretext (like doing research on chemical pollution in Bangladesh). If you are restricted to East Asia, that may be more appropriate, as it is closer to home for some women.

If you are socially averse, that may be a small issue, because women are typically not, especially with their own gender. To find young women, you have to become very adept in belonging to and being active in high quality social networks.

Last edited:
Coke Studio coming to Bangladesh, with Arnob as the music director. Looks pretty exciting!

Coke Studio coming to Bangladesh, with Arnob as the music director. Looks pretty exciting!

Well Coke Studio Pakistan has set some standards already that will be hard to duplicate much less exceed - whether you talk about set design, musicians, technical excellence in studio videography. I'm sure you know by watching their programming. In fact I'd dare say their standards for these aspects are even higher than India.

The reason is simple, they can gather far more talent who have had the means to cultivate them, coming from more privileged backgrounds. We simply don't have the same scenario.

Whatever programming Bangladesh brought forward has been by "Khola mathey goal dewa" talent.

You have chetonabadi Rabindra bhajan on one hand (under Ramna botomool) or "boroloker chul-wala bacchara guitar bajai" in Gulshan clubs on the other.

Very few talented people compared to our share of the world population.

The only bright spot in Bangla traditional music I saw was in the Seylon Music Lounge Series (local Tea Brand), their stuff (young people singing old Bengali standards from the 1960's) was really superior, for a change. Though a bit sleep-inducing at times. :-)

That is the extent of our programming excellence. I hate to be so negative but right now our talent is really wanting.

Last edited:
Well Coke Studio Pakistan has set some standards already that will be hard to duplicate much less exceed - whether you talk about set design, musicians, technical excellence in studio videography. I'm sure you know by watching their programming. In fact I'd dare say their standards for these aspects are even higher than India.

The reason is simple, they can gather

Whatever programming Bangladesh brought forward has been by "Khola mathey goal dewa" talent.

You have chetonabadi Rabindra bhajan on one hand (under Ramna botomool) or "boroloker chul-wala bacchara guitar bajai" in Gulshan clubs on the other.

Very few talented people compared to our share of the world population.

The only bright spot in Bangla traditional music I saw was in the Seylon Music Lounge Series (local Tea Brand), their stuff (young people singing old Bengali standards from the 1960's) was really superior, for a change. Though a bit sleep-inducing at times. :-)

That is the extent of our programming. I hate to be so negative but right now our talent is really wanting.

I would disagree.

The music culture in Bangladesh is a lot different from that in India and Pakistan. We have traditionally boasted a very strong rock/heavy metal music scene which is not there in India and Pakistan. Most of these music bands come from vibrant underground scenes in major cities through their own struggles. Some of those music produced by Bangladeshi rock bands could be compared to any in the world, and I'm only being modest.

Indians and Pakistanis have a similar taste and are more fond of melodious pop/bollywood music, there is also this mutual language intelligibility (Hindi/Urdu) which is why Pakistani music could easily attract huge audience.

Pakistani musicians are surely talented but there are also certain things that the Coke Studio franchisee brings in which I think would be there in the Bangladeshi edition as well. I'm particularly excited about this venture because they have roped in Arnob, he's quite a talented musician and has the rare ability to please audience of all ages and classes! In case you haven't heard him,

We do lack in our presentation and broadcasting, which I hope the Coke Studio franchisee would take care of.

Back
Top Bottom