What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

These guys are destroying Cox's Bazaar.

I mean come on, if I want to be in on see just another concrete jungle, why should I spend money to travel. I have plenty of that around. Though even the ugliest German city would still be 100 times better than most South Asian city.

I believe low rise towns without these unplanned concrete hotel jungles can still be beautiful. You don't have to travel far. Look at Pattaya or Bali. They wanted to ensure that nothing takes away from the vacation 'feel'. This happens when you appoint people with some talent and smarts to design a resort town. In Pattaya's case - Australians were heavily involved. I see no difference between this and Hawaiian resorts (or even the Mexican Riviera). Would it kill these Gadhas to appoint some Australian/American/British town/resort planners? Especially when they can siphon even more money after the town gets popular with vacationers? Do you have to actually teach these idiots how to do fraud on a larger scale?

OMPBS-To-Showcase-Gulf-of-Thailand_m.jpg

Thailand-Travel-Mart-2018-goes.jpg

Ocean-Marina-Pattaya-Boat-Show-2019.png

This 'chill' thread is raising my blood pressure.

Cox's bazar is getting turned into another Chittagong City and Chittagong city is on its way to join Dhaka.

And who is that?

As far as Saswati Nath's piece is concerned, I agree. My mother, and two grandmothers were Bangal women; I know very well who ruled in their households. We are Hindus, of course; both my grandmothers drew their sari ends down in a ghomta when the occasion demanded formality, but otherwise, as you know, Hindu women were quite free from these dress restrictions.

PS: I learnt about Cox's Bazar from my father, who spent three years there from 42 to 45.
Sir, most of the time they accuse hijab of being foreign thing. but then what is original Bangla in what we wear today. these people seems to have issue with just hijab(don't get confused with Niqab). anything else, completely fine. the length they go against hijab, it makes me suspicious about their motive.

these Hindu Bengali intellect are now on backfoot against Hindi imperialism in all over India. The fact that they have to latch onto these hijabi Bengali to protect their Bengali identity, i think it rubs them the wrong way and hoping to talk us out of it.

the more they whimper against Muslim Bengali culture, the more pathetic they look to me.

"Saswati Nath's"<= who this and what he says, Educate me.

but then what is original Bangla in what we wear today.

That is an interesting question you have. What is a-Bangali in what Bangla women wear today? What was original Bangla according to you?

these people seems to have issue with just hijab(don't get confused with Niqab). anything else, completely fine. the length they go against hijab, it makes me suspicious about their motive.

You have a perfect right to think what you do. But why point a finger at Hindus? Are they trying to lead a movement to drop the hijab? or the niqab? You posted one article. What does that prove?:enjoy:

these Hindu Bengali intellect are now on backfoot against Hindi imperialism in all over India. The fact that they have to latch onto these hijabi Bengali to protect their Bengali identity, i think it rubs them the wrong way and hoping to talk us out of it.

the more they whimper against Muslim Bengali culture, the more pathetic they look to me.

Ah! Now I get it. You are objecting to the appropriation of your culture by outsiders, by Hindus.

But
  1. What have I got to do with it? If you want to launch a Crusade, please feel free, but leave me out of it.
  2. What gave you the impression that someone who from the text lives and teaches in Bangladesh is fighting against Hindi imperialism? You now have Hindi imperialists in Bangladesh? News to me.
  3. What gives you the idea that they are protecting their Bengali identity by criticising Bengali identity? Isn't that contradictory?
It is nice of you to share your thoughts on the subject of who looks pathetic to you and who doesn't, but honestly, your preferences are not of huge interest to the world at large. You seem to be making an issue out of nothing.:enjoy:

You read Bengali I hope. Everything you need to know is contained in the text. Why did you quote that and ask me about the author is not clear. If I quote someone, I will tell others about that person, not go around asking people who it is that I have quoted.

Which part of Bangladesh are you from? I ask because you seem to know so little about Hindus; presumably they don't exist there at all, or you haven't met a single one before.

That is an interesting question you have. What is a-Bangali in what Bangla women wear today? What was original Bangla according to you?
That is my question too to people who take it upon themselves to dictate what is a Bengali thing and what is not.
Are they trying to lead a movement to drop the hijab? or the niqab?
looks like they are. Islam is a foreign religion too, so what's their point. This group of people have issues against "Muslim". Hijab is just symbolic.

Sir, most of the time they accuse hijab of being foreign thing. but then what is original Bangla in what we wear today. these people seems to have issue with just hijab(don't get confused with Niqab). anything else, completely fine. the length they go against hijab, it makes me suspicious about their motive.

I have a question for you.

In one post, you attacked Hindus, who are pathetic.

In another post, you attacked Buddhists, who are creating trouble, according to you.

Is this your mission, to attack everybody and everything that is not Muslim and get some notoriety?

It doesn't bother me either way; I have enough Bangladeshi friends to manage if one person starts creating unpleasantness. I am just curious.

That is my question too to people who take it upon themselves to dictate what is a Bengali thing and what is not.

Then it is a very poorly drafted question.

The piece talks about an article of clothing being native to geographies other than Bangladesh. Your response is that you want to know what is native to Bangladesh.

Isn't the answer obvious? Or are you asking the question just to make an issue? :D

looks like they are. Islam is a foreign religion too, so what's their point. This group of people have issues against "Muslim". Hijab is just symbolic.

Not a word was mentioned about Islam. Why are you dragging it into that text? And most of all, why do I have to answer your suspicions?

Islam is a foreign religion too

Really? Nothing to do with Bangladesh, then? Is that your point? Or are you just confused about which toe on your foot you want to hammer first?

Last edited:
I have a question for you.

In one post, you attacked Hindus, who are pathetic.

In another post, you attacked Buddhists, who are creating trouble, according to you.

Is this your mission, to attack everybody and everything that is not Muslim and get some notoriety?

It doesn't bother me either way; I have enough Bangladeshi friends to manage if one person starts creating unpleasantness. I am just curious.

Then it is a very poorly drafted question.

The piece talks about an article of clothing being native to geographies other than Bangladesh. Your response is that you want to know what is native to Bangladesh.

Isn't the answer obvious? Or are you asking the question just to make an issue? :D
Look i want you to answer a simple question,
If a women WANT'S to wear hijab and she happens to be a Bengali, would you say she is less of a Bengali and once she get rid of hijab her Bengali bar goes up?

If a women WANT'S to wear hijab and she happens to be a Bengali, would you say she is less of a Bengali and once she get rid of hijab her Bengali bar goes up?

I have no idea. If a woman wears a hijab, I respect her. If she is not wearing a hijab, I respect her. I respect a woman as a woman, not according to what she is wearing at that time.

The opposite position is that of perverts who go after women. According to them, the clothing the woman was wearing was provocative, and they got provoked. Don't you think, to ask you a question back, that is perverted?

Why don't you start with answering questions you were asked?

I have no idea. If a woman wears a hijab, I respect her. If she is not wearing a hijab, I respect her. I respect a woman as a woman, not according to what she is wearing at that time.

The opposite position is that of perverts who go after women. According to them, the clothing the woman was wearing was provocative, and they got provoked. Don't you think, to ask you a question back, that is perverted?

Why don't you start with answering questions you were asked?
please i really need this answer from you. you have seen things and studied things.
why do a hijab wearing Bengali woman where hijab was her own choice, have to hear someone saying she is less of a Bengali now that she wears a hijab.

please i really need this answer from you. you have seen things and studied things.
why do a hijab wearing Bengali woman where hijab was her own choice, have to hear someone saying she is less of a Bengali now that she wears a hijab.

Let me understand.

Are you a Bangali woman?

Let me understand.

Are you a Bangali woman?
sir, looks like you can't answer a yes or no question because of your heavy burden of intellect.
but i am simple guy, some says mango people.

no i am not a women. and yes i don't know what they are really think about wearing hijab.
but given with a free choice they choose to wear hijab.

still it would be nice to hear your simple answer.

I met a few folks here who thinks being Muslim and Bengali are mutually exclusive. One of my university friend was shocked that you could be a Bengali and a Muslim at the same time. I met people in Kolkata who think the same way, and hate Muslims rather openly, but again i have met people who are very nice and welcoming.
Ethnic identity is an ever evolving concept. Different people will have different answers to what it means to be a Bengali and it will change with time.
Saswati Nath may be right in the sense that there is a decent number of Bengalis in West Bengal who think along the lines, that Islamic and Bengali cultures are mutually exclusive, and maybe a lot of Pakistanis think that too, but no point fighting them over their opinion, you can have your own definition of what it means to be a Bengali.

sir, looks like you can't answer a yes or no question because of your heavy burden of intellect.
but i am simple guy, some says mango people.

no i am not a women. and yes i don't know what they are really think about wearing hijab.
but given with a free choice they choose to wear hijab.

still it would be nice to hear your simple answer.

Killay de khoijje goron re Bhai, sari do ne, kotha kata Kati gori ki lab, itere ai chini, ite bala manush, tik sheibabe tuin oo Bala manush...

Ei shomosto khudro bishoy loyre mon-dil kharap gori lab nai, aro dorkhari point oyyilde arar maiyepua ollete akhon hijab finon fosondo nolage, ibe maiye oler nijer opinion keu tal node etarare, kintu hoito TV tun shikke day.

Kintu at the end of the day, ei shob bishoy loy re Mata gorom gori ki lab re bhai.

Ar hota gun ekkana buzon

From what I have seen, Muslims in Kolkata themselves take offence if you call them Bengali. Although I'm not sure if they are Bengali Muslims or migrants from UP-Bihar.

I think it's all about narratives. The current narratives like who is a Bengali or what is Bengali culture have all been defined by the Kolkata-based elites during the British period, who were literally British stooges and had bit a of anti-Muslim sentiments deep inside. Deeper research shows Bengali language and literature went through its greatest development during the medieval period, particularly during the reign of Bengal Sultanate and the agricultural revolution in the Mughal period. That's when most of the folk and purely indigenous Bengali literature were developed. The Kolkata-centric literary development during British period was basically European literary style produced in Bengali words, yet, literature from this era has taken the central position in Bengali literature as a whole.

This existence and propagation of wrong narrative about Bengali culture is what led to the identity crisis and all those wrong assumptions like Bengali means Hindu and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom