What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Indeed not bad, there is no given spelling in English, I'd have to know how you're pronouncing and enunciating it to know, if you're saying it right.

It is fine, the grammar rules of Chittagonian are not rigid unlike normal standard Bangla, but it should be 'ki ainnom' not the other way around.

You can also say : Ai(n) boddar hat'ot zair, torar thay kisu laibone

I'm going to boddar haat, do you guys need anything?

This also works scrap the 'ki' :

Ai boddar hat'ot zair, kisu (kichu) ainnomne

Here ainnomne does the work of two words at once and ki the question word is eliminated, as ainnomne ( should bring ?) Is literally a word that is in itself a question.

Sadly, we don't provide Honorary Chittagonian 'club' memberships anymore, Noakhaillas have made us bitter over 'bhoingas' aka outsiders.

But if we ever start giving out honorary memberships, I'd recommend you for one, better yet learn some more Chittagonian stuff while you're at it, doesn't hurt.

Chittagong er fua ai tuare salam zanai'r.

Ai tuare Walaikum salam zanai'r. :-)

It'll be a slow road. I know a few Chittagonians in my friend circle. Be back with more skills....:cheers:

Ai tuare Walaikum salam zanai'r. :-)

It'll be a slow road. I know a few Chittagonians in my friend circle. Be back with more skills....:cheers:

Good luck!

The language is dying and something should be done about it, perhaps in the future, I can get down with my linguist friend who is also a Chittagonian and we can jot down the grammar rules for the first time in the languages history and publish a book.

Chittagonian is a spoken language only, so that makes learning it nearly impossible unless you're emersed in it 24/7; living in mainland Chittagong for decades atleast.

Something must be done, because the language is very popular among Bangladeshis but there is no way for them to learn it as a Passtime hobby or something.

Here's a fun fact, we have out own Chittagonian channel called C Plus TV, very poor quality but it's something, you can watch their content for cues on the language but be warned they are speaking the village form of Chittagonian which is trash.

I believe we're the only region with a channel dedicated to our dialect.

Lmao racist remarks starting at 2:35 and still ongoing at 4:00 my people never let an opportunity slide. :disagree: Now, I'm just going to watch this video for a gag.

Watch the first minute and let me know what you have gathered, let's see Chittagonian really is intelligible for non Chittagonian. I believe it is, if you put in effort.

Last edited:
Good luck!

The language is dying and something should be done about it, perhaps in the future, I can get down with my linguist friend who is also a Chittagonian and we can jot down the grammar rules for the first time in the languages history and publish a book.

Chittagonian is a spoken language only, so that makes learning it nearly impossible unless you're emersed in it 24/7; living in mainland Chittagong for decades atleast.

Something must be done, because the language is very popular among Bangladeshis but there is no way for them to learn it as a Passtime hobby or something.

Here's a fun fact, we have out own Chittagonian channel called C Plus TV, very poor quality but it's something, you can watch their content for cues on the language but be warned they are speaking the village form of Chittagonian which is trash.

I believe we're the only region with a channel dedicated to our dialect.

Lmao racist remarks starting at 2:35 and still ongoing at 4:00 my people never let an opportunity slide. :disagree: Now, I'm just going to watch this video for a gag.

Watch the first minute and let me know what you have gathered, let's see Chittagonian really is intelligible for non Chittagonian. I believe it is, if you put in effort.

I don't think its dying per se, its mostly in Chittagong city, where the younger generation of the middle/upper class do not speak it as much. In the villages in Chittagong/Cox's Bazar it is spoken quite often, as well in moderately sized towns such as Cox's Bazar or Halishohor. Also, it will survive in Arakan with the Rohingyas nevertheless, where they even have a literary tradition.

Being half Chatgaiya (maternal side), I can speak/understand it fluently. My parents and maternal grandparents have always conversed with me in standard Bangla, but I've learned it through watching my mom/other relatives communicate in it. Even the non-locals that have settled in the city pretty much understand/speak it as well.

OK first lesson for non-Chittagonians, what does it mean (simple),
  • O-ba doijja koddur?

Find out who said this (famous Chittagonian)

• Shukuijja koday?

Who sang this?
  • Sodo sodo dheu tuli....za'r goi Karnaphuli....

I don't think its dying per se, its mostly in Chittagong city, where the younger generation of the middle/upper class do not speak it as much. In the villages in Chittagong/Cox's Bazar it is spoken quite often, as well in moderately sized towns such as Cox's Bazar or Halishohor. Also, it will survive in Arakan with the Rohingyas nevertheless, where they even have a literary tradition.

Being half Chatgaiya (maternal side), I can speak/understand it fluently. My parents and maternal grandparents have always conversed with me in standard Bangla, but I've learned it through watching my mom/other relatives communicate in it. Even the non-locals that have settled in the city pretty much understand/speak it as well.

Chittagonian is a spoken language, I learnt it, like my forefathers did, by listening to elders speak, every single words and every single phrase I know, I picked up from someone else.

Everytime, I'm in Chittagong, I pick up on new phrases and words, I didn't know existed.

This is the issue, there is no uniform way of learning the language.

The youth are abandoning Chittagonian in an effort to feel more 'modern' because for some reason the slangish shuddu Bangla with truck loads Noakhailla words is apparently the new 'funky' Bangla. The street language, if you will.

There's also alot more focus on standard Bangla by itself, this is good, I'm not against this.

But because they aren't bothering to speak Chittagonian, even if they know it, it is clear to see that they won't do so in front of their children and then the children won't know how to speak Chittagonian.

When the generation that speaks the language at home dies, the language will truly be in jeopardy.

About Arakanese, it's a strange strange language, that sounds like Teknaf dialect with 50% alien words borrowed from Burmese and Arabic. A proper conversation with the rohingya is nearly impossible without running into lexical issues.

You can read more in this post here, I made a while ago :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/nepa...ws-and-propaganda.675686/page-2#post-12527875

• Shukuijja koday?

This is hilarious, I had a 'nana' on my mother's side (her father's brother) who is named Shukour and his wife use to say this all the time.....

Ah good old days..... God rest their souls

• "Shukuijja koday?" (meaning "Shukur kothai", or "where is Shukur") was frequently uttered by none other than the famous FaQa Chaudhry (Fazlul Qadir Chaudhry) who was the Acting President of Pakistan, In office from 29 November 1963 – 12 June 1965. He hailed from Raozan in Chittagong. President Ayub Khan took over from his mantle. Salahuddin Qadir Chaudhry was his son and BNP stalwart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazlul_Qadir_Chaudhry

Last edited:
  • "Shukuijja koday?" was frequently uttered by none other than the famous FaQa Chaudhry (Fazlul Qadir Chaudhry) who was the Acting President of Pakistan, In office from 29 November 1963 – 12 June 1965. He hailed from Raozan in Chittagong. President Ayub Khan took over from his mantle. Salahuddin Qadir Chaudhry was his son and BNP stalwart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazlul_Qadir_Chaudhry

salahuddin-quader-chowdhury-e71fe7c7-5577-4903-94aa-7f764baf211-resize-750.jpeg

He had a sharp tongue this guy, he claimed Hasina is angry with him because he turned down her marriage proposal......

He also had alot to say about khaleda herself, truly outspoken fellow, both father and son died in the same prison, jailed on same charges.

"Sodo sodo dheu tuli....za'r goi Karnaphuli...." a folk song sung by the inimitable Shefali Ghosh...

ছোড ছোড ঢেউ তুলি পানিত
লুসাই পাহাড়ত্তুন লামিয়েরে
যার গই কর্ণফুলী...

Here is a cover by our senior singer Sabina Yasmin (she is not looking her best past her Cancer fight, props to her though!). Kabir Suman (her husband) is providing Guitar accompaniment.

OK guys let me bring up a sore subject with me - which is resort town planning in Cox's Bazaar. Look at the following two iconic tourist destinations Oahu in Honolulu, Hawaii and then Fort Lauderdale in Florida - then compare these images with our Cox's Bazaar. Do you see somethings missing? No Marina on the shoreline. No waterway in the back of the planned Main Hotel Row. No planning period. :disagree:

Oahu in Honolulu
Oahu-Honolulu-Aerial-Hero-2_1.jpg

iu

Fort Lauderdale
usa_ft_lauderdale_main.jpg

iu

And now - Cox's Bazaar. I hope the town administration guys have some plans....
8132412313_de8484116f_b.jpg

OK guys let me bring up a sore subject with me - which is resort town planning in Cox's Bazaar. Look at the following two iconic tourist destinations Oahu in Honolulu, Hawaii and then Fort Lauderdale in Florida - then compare these images with our Cox's Bazaar. Do you see somethings missing? No Marina on the shoreline. No waterway in the back of the planned Main Hotel Row. No planning period. :disagree:

Oahu in Honolulu

iu

Fort Lauderdale

iu

Yeah, they do have a plan, according to which, they built a massive refuge camp next door in Teknaf - Kutapalong.

Yeah, they do have a plan, according to which, they built a massive refuge camp next door in Teknaf - Kutapalong.

For now, future of Cox's Bazaar look pretty bleak with the refugee ghetto situation. Hope there is some breakthrough....

For now, future of Cox's Bazaar look pretty bleak with the refugee ghetto situation. Hope there is some breakthrough....

Yes, there is.

Refugees are now 'pretending' to be Teknaf natives, they're fixing their accents and removing Burmese words, learning Bangladeshi history, politics and pop culture.

This is how they are being able to sell Yana effortlessly, police are looking for people who sound like rohingya and can't cite facts from Bangladeshi history, meanwhile these guys are training themselves to pass these very tests.

They are also miraculously gaining NIDs and Passports.

I recently applied for an NID and even though they have a registry entry of me being a passport holder for more then two decades, they had me drag my relatives who live in BD permanently to prove I'm not rohingya.

Slam real Bangladeshi with red tape, while Rohingyas can just pay 5000 taka and get all necessary documents.

this is coming from someone claims himself to be the Jesus of Bengali race and culture.

And who is that?

As far as Saswati Nath's piece is concerned, I agree. My mother, and two grandmothers were Bangal women; I know very well who ruled in their households. We are Hindus, of course; both my grandmothers drew their sari ends down in a ghomta when the occasion demanded formality, but otherwise, as you know, Hindu women were quite free from these dress restrictions.

PS: I learnt about Cox's Bazar from my father, who spent three years there from 42 to 45.

Oahu in Honolulu

iu

Fort Lauderdale

iu

These guys are destroying Cox's Bazaar.

I mean come on, if I want to be in on see just another concrete jungle, why should I spend money to travel. I have plenty of that around. Though even the ugliest German city would still be 100 times better than most South Asian city.

Back
Top Bottom