What's new

Chief of Army Staff | General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistan army chief says US aid should be diverted - The Argue

Pakistan army chief says US aid should be diverted

Pakistan’s army chief says billions of dollars in US aid meant for the military’s fight against militants should be diverted to bolster the economy and help ordinary Pakistanis.

The announcement could be seen as a snub to the US and an attempt to bolster the military’s popularity following the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani reiterated that the army has ceased its training relationship with the US and has restricted the scope of intelligence sharing.

He also said American drone attacks are unacceptable and declined US calls for an operation in the militant-infested North Waziristan tribal area.

Kayani’s positions were outlined in an unusually detailed statement issued Thursday after a meeting with his top commanders.

i have already told the forum about this, so now we can attribute it to the 'horse' himself.

T-Faz, Muse, Mastaan Khan, ANd especially indians need to see this qoute.

i have already told the forum about this, so now we can attribute it to the 'horse' himself.

Allow me to refresh the memories:
........BTW, though not (totally) unrelated to the topic but then i would like share something here.

The US and GoP agrees that a total of 13.5 Billion USD have been paid to Pakistan (for the tri services) under head of CSF. $ 10.8 B was earmarked for the Army alone. Your papers (though in consultation with the Army) says that $ 6.98 B has been paid to the Army, but infact only $ 1.8 B has been received by the Army in TOTAL. Now where are the remaining $ 5.18 B? The answer may not sound very pleasing to many here. The remaining $ 5.18 B has gone to support the National Budget. Yes, it you guys who have eaten it. i know now that Musers and Sparklers would feel uneasy with this by then that's the fact. You wont find these figures in the media, why? Well dont we know the media sells on conspiracies....

Fair enough but talk is cheap isn't it? How exactly does this Ft Leavenworth product propose to finance operations against the militants? Could it be that he hopes such operations should not be proceeded with?

Pakistan army chief: Divert U.S. military aid

By Sebastian Abbot - The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Jun 9, 2011

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan’s army chief said Thursday that billions of dollars in U.S. aid to fund the military’s fight Islamist militants should be diverted to help ordinary Pakistanis, a possible attempt to boost the military’s popularity following the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani’s comments, made in a meeting with his top commanders, were also a jab at the U.S., which has pushed Pakistan to step up its fight against Taliban militants who stage cross-border attacks against foreign troops in Afghanistan.

The Navy SEAL raid that killed bin Laden on May 2 enraged Kayani and other military officials, since they were not told about it beforehand. It also sparked widespread domestic criticism of the military for failing to stop the operation and for not knowing that bin Laden was hiding in Abbottabad, an army town roughly 35 miles outside Islamabad.

The raid has also sparked retaliatory attacks by militants inside Pakistan, intensifying the country’s already rampant violence.

Pakistani officials said Thursday that Taliban fighters stormed a checkpoint, killing eight Pakistani soldiers in an Afghan border region that the army previously said it had cleared of insurgents. Two bomb attacks elsewhere in the northwest on Thursday killed six civilians.

The relationship between Pakistan and the U.S. was strained even before the bin Laden raid, and the operation pushed it to a new low.

Kayani reiterated to his commanders that the army has ceased its training relationship with the U.S. in the wake of the operation and has restricted the scope of intelligence sharing.

“It has been decided to share intelligence strictly on the basis of reciprocity and complete transparency,” he said an unusually long and detailed statement issued by the army after Thursday’s meeting.

The army chief also rejected U.S. calls for an operation in North Waziristan, a tribal region in the northwest that serves as the main sanctuary for militants launching attacks in Afghanistan.

The U.S. has tried to entice Pakistan to step up its cooperation by offering billions of dollars in military assistance.

Kayani said Thursday that less than $1.5 billion has been received by the military, and the remaining $7 billion was kept by the Pakistani government. He also said future U.S. military assistance should “be diverted towards economic aid to Pakistan which can be used for reducing the burden on the common man.”

It is unclear whether the military will follow through with the initiative, especially since the country continues to face serious militant threats and has long relied on American military aid to maintain its defense posture against its regional foe, India.

The U.S. has long demanded Pakistan launch an offensive in North Waziristan, but the military has said its forces are stretched too thin by other operations in the tribal region. Many analysts believe, however, that Pakistan is loathe to cross Taliban militants, with whom it has historical ties and could be valuable allies in Afghanistan once U.S. forces withdraw.

Kayani did call on the people of North Waziristan “to evict all foreigners from their soil and take charge of their land and destiny once again.” Even though Pakistan has been reluctant to anger the Afghan Taliban, it has targeted foreign militant groups like al-Qaida that have declared war on the Pakistani state.

The U.S. has responded to Pakistan’s intransigence by stepping up drone attacks in the tribal region, especially in North Waziristan. Those attacks are extremely unpopular within Pakistan and are often condemned by Pakistani officials. That public anger has intensified in the wake of the bin Laden raid, even though the Pakistani military is believed to help quietly with some of the attacks.

Kayani told his commanders that the attacks “are not acceptable under any circumstances.”

Associated Press writers Ishtiaq Mahsud in Dera Ismail Khan and Riaz Khan in Peshawar contributed to this report.

Fair enough but talk is cheap isn't it? How exactly does this Ft Leavenworth product propose to finance operations against the militants? Could it be that he hopes such operations should not be proceeded with?

Rs, 128 Billion has been allocated in the mil-budget for these operations.

Who gives two monkeys about what the Indians gloat, but it's somewhat disturbing when my country fellows jump on the band wagon and tend to wash the soap before hands.

^^Musey, na darya acha, na sagar?

Rs, 128 Billion has been allocated in the mil-budget for these operations.

All right, keep your powder dry - I'll make a small wager - Pakistan will not prosecute the war should Americans begin evacuation - you may see an odd company sized operation or a one of larger unit operation -- but you watch, this business off robbing Peter to play Paul, will be something the rest of you will catch on to - of course the military "loyalists" will have a hard time understanding this, but the onus is on the Pakistan military to prove to Pakistanis it's bona fides, not the other way around.

Reactions: SQ8
All right, keep your powder dry - I'll make a small wager - Pakistan will not prosecute the war should Americans begin evacuation - you may see an odd company sized operation or a one of larger unit operation -- but you watch, this business off robbing Peter to play Paul, will be something the rest of you will catch on to - of course the military "loyalists" will have a hard time understanding this, but the onus is on the Pakistan military to prove to Pakistanis it's bona fides, not the other way around.

i dont know where you are going with this but i just made a simple reply to your question abt 'funds'. no need to get your dander up!!!

IMHO the military size has become too unwieldy for the money allocated to it. There is not just enough to meet its normal operations in top gear. One just has to look at its rolling stock (Transport veh.) to notice that the level of maint. has gone down over the years.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not for increasing the budget but all for right sizing the military by redefining its mission objectives or vectoring all foreign military aid to equipment needed to fight the terrorists. We can sort out the other needs once we wrap up this internal conflict and generate funds for major purchases once the economy gets back on track.

Allocating XXX billion rupees for an operation when it can not meet its general maintenance requirement is asking too much from the military. There are rampant shortages of proper personal gear and the army has not been able to change its standard infantry weapon - the G-3 for the lack of funds and this weapon is a serious handicap in this type of battle scenario. I have noticed that standardization of personal equipment is also at its lowest. For example the helo pilots do not even have basic survival vests when they go in to combat ops.

Shortages of R/T equipment , NVG, Kevlar’s, battlefield UAV’s (Rather lack of them) are just some of the things that the army faces in its fight against the terrorists. Pushing our troops out in open topped vehicles in mountainous terrain is suicide. I just do not know how the officers keep the morale of their troops high.

We can not take on the enemy on this budget -- we need to re-think our strategy if we want to win this game.

My 2C worth.

And yet, is it not true that the enemy does not have anywhere close to the budget of the Pakistan armed forces? and yet it manages to eat the armed force's lunch -- Pakistani armed forces have to develop their own way of war, a way of war that is beyond the Western colonial model that the army and her doctrines are based on.

Let me give you and example, Ilyas Kashmiri, while he planned and executed operations against Pakistanis and their families, Kiyani's army did not target him or his family, his loved ones - but then Kiyani's loved ones remain safe - how much money will it take for the Kiyani's army to take the fight to the enemy? Ok, I don't mean how US taxpayer money

And yet, is it not true that the enemy does not have anywhere close to the budget of the Pakistan armed forces?

:blink:
Dont tell me that you still dont know a tosh about LIC/GW/Asymmetric Warfare?

Kiyani's army did not target him or his family, his loved ones

:blink: :blink:

So may be what Nazis did to Jews was right, no?

It is said that there is some agreement between US and Pakistan on higher promotions in armed forces by wish of US. Is it true or not?

The trace is "Fort Leavenworth Experience". Fort Leavenworth has been historically known as the "Intellectual Center of the Army."

In Pakistan case, there have been 123 army officers who have been trained at USACGSC, 73 of them have been the Generals and 4 of them have been the Chief of Army Staff and International Hall of Fame inductees.

Kayani, Musharaf, Aslam Baig and Jhangir Karamat were all trained in US Kansas. Every year, US choose one Major from Pakistan army for training in Fort Leavenworth. This is worth pondering to note that out of 123 officers, 73 of them have gone to become Generals. These facts are telling the story how influential "Fort Leavenworth Experience" is?

IMHO the military size has become too unwieldy for the money allocated to it. There is not just enough to meet its normal operations in top gear. One just has to look at its rolling stock (Transport veh.) to notice that the level of maint. has gone down over the years.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not for increasing the budget but all for right sizing the military by redefining its mission objectives or vectoring all foreign military aid to equipment needed to fight the terrorists. We can sort out the other needs once we wrap up this internal conflict and generate funds for major purchases once the economy gets back on track.

Allocating XXX billion rupees for an operation when it can not meet its general maintenance requirement is asking too much from the military. There are rampant shortages of proper personal gear and the army has not been able to change its standard infantry weapon - the G-3 for the lack of funds and this weapon is a serious handicap in this type of battle scenario. I have noticed that standardization of personal equipment is also at its lowest. For example the helo pilots do not even have basic survival vests when they go in to combat ops.

Shortages of R/T equipment , NVG, Kevlar’s, battlefield UAV’s (Rather lack of them) are just some of the things that the army faces in its fight against the terrorists. Pushing our troops out in open topped vehicles in mountainous terrain is suicide. I just do not know how the officers keep the morale of their troops high.

We can not take on the enemy on this budget -- we need to re-think our strategy if we want to win this game.

My 2C worth.

my father is in army aviation, well he was until last year, and according to him, proper kit is given o combat pilots, albeit only those in cobras and those who would go in close to the ground. The other helos like pumas and such dont have such equipment. He also went to miranshah on an Mi 17 and he didnt wore anything , but miranshah wasn't a strong point then., i am going off topic aint i???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom