What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

And he was talking about from 2018
2018+5= 2023 it might be testing on ground than in 2021 or 2023 will start testing on J-20

He is talking about be ready in 3-5 years, which means by 2021 to 2023 you will see full functioned WS-15 on J-20, which means flight test of this engine can be anytime from now.

Go checking the typical schedule/timeframe of engine development, and stop writing your thoughts.

He is talking about be ready in 3-5 years, which means by 2021 to 2023 you will see full functioned WS-15 on J-20, which means flight test of this engine can be anytime from now.

Go checking the typical schedule/timeframe of engine development, and stop writing your thoughts.
ITS YOUR FIRST ENGINE FROM SCRACH, AND ENGINE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT EASY THAT YOU THINK ESPCIALLY FOR CHINA WHICH IS NEW ON THIS FIELD, ITS NEED EXTRA TEST TO GET RID OF ALL OF BUGS, AND MOST OF CHINESE SENIOR/PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS HERE TO AGREE THAT WS-15 WILL START TESTING IN 2023 ON J-20, AND 2020 IS ALMOST OVER, YOU'RE NOBODY TO ASSUMED THAT

Wow, yes for sure, Mr. Liu Daxiang si more credible but we don't know the exact context of his statement, if any delays happened since then or what he really once said ...

As such @White and Green with M/S & @52051, IMO Your discussion is academic since even if we rate Mr. Liu Daxiang higher than other reports, it might not automatically mean we will see it READY by the earlier date. Just look how other projects are delayed ...

Just look at the WS-10C. We've seen the first J-20A & WS-10C since early 2017 ,,, we know it is in production since mid-2019 and still we haven't seen it READY or in service. I really - regardless how credible I rate his words, I cannot think we see the first WS-10C powered operational J-20A in 2021 and right a few years later the first WS-15 powered ones as combat ready especially when we haven't seen one at least in prototype form.

As such all we can do is to sit and wait.

ITS YOUR FIRST ENGINE FROM SCRACH, AND ENGINE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT EASY THAT YOU THINK ESPCIALLY FOR CHINA WHICH IS NEW ON THIS FIELD, ITS NEED EXTRA TEST TO GET RID OF ALL OF BUGS, AND MOST OF CHINESE SENIOR/PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS HERE TO AGREE THAT WS-15 WILL START TESTING IN 2023 ON J-20, AND 2020 IS ALMOST OVER, YOU'RE NOBODY TO ASSUMED THAT
Yeah, you are quite right, the Chinese will require many more decades to build some good aero-engines, they still need to close the 50-year development duration cycle to come out with any solid engine as you postulated... the time-span is an absolute process, and cannot be jumped over, shortcut or accelerated in any meaningful ways.... (yet it comes to my thought, when the Chinese do arrive at the 50-year time span, then other earlier players will already arrive at 100 years journey... thus it will be a forever catch-up game, always trailing because others had started earlier...)

Well, now please stop posting in all capital letters, and not flaming this thread any further. We already learned your faith.

Yeah, you are quite right, the Chinese will require many more decades to build some good aero-engines, they still need to close the 50-year development duration cycle to come out with any solid engine as you postulated... the time-span is an absolute process, and cannot be jumped over, shortcut or accelerated in any meaningful ways.... (yet it comes to my thought, when the Chinese do arrive at the 50-year time span, then other earlier players will already arrive at 100 years journey... thus it will be a forever catch-up game, always trailing because others had started earlier...)

Well, now please stop posting in all capital letters, and not flaming this thread any further. We already learned your faith.
If the WS-10, WS-20, or WS-13 are not good aero engines, then people these days have unrealistically high standards. The latest WS-10's performance is already on par with the Saturn 117S, which is currently Russia's best operational gas turbine engine. I'm really not sure why this member keeps on trying to flamebait (e.g. all caps) and rant on super petty things. I am in shock that people apparently think you need 50 years to close a 50 year gap ... :hitwall: :disagree: .

Although Liu is a pretty credible source (former chief engineer at the 624 Institute), I think this is just a ballpark estimate. The truth is it is very possible that it will take longer than 2023 ... advanced weapons projects, especially something on the level of the WS-15 (which Russia is even struggling with on their Idz 30) takes a lot of time and effort. Delays are completely normal. I expect the Chinese will make sure that the WS-15 that first enters service will not be plagued with reliability issues like the WS-10. As such delays are perfectly reasonable.

1.gif

2.gif

Via https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4575272419393567?from=old_pc_videoshow

From Henri Kenhmann at East Pendulum on 2020.11.26:

A J-20 equipped with WS-10 engines, in Chinese Air Force low-visibility livery, was filmed at CAC's assembly plant in Chengdu. Video via 斯图卡 98

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Rupprecht Andreas Deino @RupprechtDeino on 2020.11.25:

For anyone who cannot access the link here are a few stills from the video
showing eventually the first images of a PLAAF grey-coloured J-20A powered by WS-10C engines. (gifs & video via @斯图卡98 from Weibo)

A question posted there: "What the thrust capacity of the WS-10C engines please?"

answered by some blogger, 日月同明 @onceggyy123 (joined Aug.2012): "the chances are 144kn-150kn"

From Henri Kenhmann at East Pendulum on 2020.11.26:

A J-20 equipped with WS-10 engines, in Chinese Air Force low-visibility livery, was filmed at CAC's assembly plant in Chengdu. Video via 斯图卡 98

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Rupprecht Andreas Deino @RupprechtDeino on 2020.11.25:

For anyone who cannot access the link here are a few stills from the video
showing eventually the first images of a PLAAF grey-coloured J-20A powered by WS-10C engines. (gifs & video via @斯图卡98 from Weibo)

A question posted there: "What the thrust capacity of the WS-10C engines please?"

answered by some blogger, 日月同明 @onceggyy123 (joined Aug.2012): "the chances are 144kn-150kn"

150 kn is way too high.

150 kn is way too high.
Yeah there's no point in WS-15 if WS-10C can produce 150kn of thrust, except easier time supercruising. Even as of now, J-20 can reach a speed of Mach 2.52.

I did, however, heard that the upper limit of WS-10 core can support that.

Yeah there's no point in WS-15 if WS-10C can produce 150kn of thrust, except easier time supercruising. Even as of now, J-20 can reach a speed of Mach 2.52.

I did, however, heard that the upper limit of WS-10 core can support that.
The WS-15 is widely believed to have a wet thrust of 180kN, that's significantly higher than even the 150kN upper limit of the WS-10C (which stretches credulity for an engine from that generation).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom