What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

This I remember now. Even if this is not turned on, the aircraft built in stealth materials good enough to divert radar waves away which means IAF Su-30MKI can't detect a stealth aircraft at more than 60 miles away, it just won't appear on HUD & MFD at all. The active reflector defense helps when enemy is within closer range especially when the stealth aircraft is banking exposing its larger surface area.
No need to even bring up the Su-30MKI ... its detection is completely impossible because the J-20 was never even in its radar's maximum detection range (against a 5 m^2 target that is). The Indians just completely made this BS up to compensate for their insecurity about the J-20. Nothing better than trashing something you are super scared of.

No need to even bring up the Su-30MKI ... its detection is completely impossible because the J-20 was never even in its radar's maximum detection range (against a 5 m^2 target that is). The Indians just completely made this BS up to compensate for their insecurity about the J-20. Nothing better than trashing something you are super scared of.

Their exaggeration is entertaining by the way, I like to ask them whenever there's encounter, clash, etc and the story goes Bollywood style plots. Wait and see what are their next Bollywood plot when full J-20B wings being assigned near Tibet border airbase. Expect more detection story from them, maybe next actor will be flying Rafale & Tejas.

Not only Su-30MKI can detect J-20 from 200Km away. There is prove Su-30MKI is actually more stealthy than J-20. Indian pilot Abhinandan flow within visual distance of J-20 without J-20 even notice it. A selfie was taken by Abhinandan on his new MKI.:(
00008.jpg

yes, he talk about the cost/flyaway price of J-20 is down from about 800 million RMB to less than 700 million RMB now.
That is still quite expensive ... even more expensive than the F-35. I expected it to be roughly in the 70 million USD range. But a cut of 100 million RMB or around 15 million USD is very nice.

That is still quite expensive ... even more expensive than the F-35. I expected it to be roughly in the 70 million USD range. But a cut of 100 million RMB or around 15 million USD is very nice.

Actually I think it is quite cheap, since J-20 merely enter mass production phase now, and it is a twin engine heavy fighter.

At this price tag, China can afford to use J-20 as its sole 5th gen fighter (at least for PLAAF), J-20 WS-10 as low end fighter(cheaper, and better range thanks to high bypass ratio engine), and J-20 with WS-15 as high end fighter(better flight characters).

100$ million for J-20 is fantastic, J-20 is a heavy fighter so it is the equivalent to the F-22 not the F-35, the J-31 is the answer to the F-35.
the price of the F-22 is like 350$ million, even if they continued producing it in large numbers and somehow brought the price down to 200$ million that would still be double the price of the J-20. since the F-35 costs like 80$ million or so, the J-31 may end up costing the same as your average 4th gen fighter.
a while ago I was reading some articles/leaks on CJDBY that said the developers of the J-31/J-35 are now working mainly to (or already did) reduce the weight and cost of the J-31 while still keeping the same capabilities.

100$ million for J-20 is fantastic, J-20 is a heavy fighter so it is the equivalent to the F-22 not the F-35, the J-31 is the answer to the F-35.
the price of the F-22 is like 350$ million, even if they continued producing it in large numbers and somehow brought the price down to 200$ million that would still be double the price of the J-20. since the F-35 costs like 80$ million or so, the J-31 may end up costing the same as your average 4th gen fighter.
a while ago I was reading some articles/leaks on CJDBY that said the developers of the J-31/J-35 are now working mainly to (or already did) reduce the weight and cost of the J-31 while still keeping the same capabilities.

The flyaway cost of a F-22 went down to 130 million US dollars per piece and it would have gone down further if they produced more than 187.

What you quote is the development costs + production costs of 187 F-22s.

Last edited:
The flyaway cost of a F-22 went down to 130 million US dollars per piece and it would have gone down further if they produced more than 187.

What you quote is the development costs + production costs of 187 F-22s.

even then it is still much cheaper, because the cost of a J-20 would be 76% that of a F-22 , and then when you add in the J-31.. yeah the price of a J-31 will go down below that of the F-35 so probably around 60-80$ million for the J-31.

even then it is still much cheaper, because the cost of a J-20 would be 76% that of a F-22 , and then when you add in the J-31.. yeah the price of a J-31 will go down below that of the F-35 so probably around 60-80$ million for the J-31.

F-22 has much better engine than J-20.
It's stealth, radar and avionics are also probably a little better as well.

Last edited:
F-22 has much better engine than J-20.
It's stealth, radar and avionics are also probably a little better as well.
Engine I agree with, but I don't agree with radar and avionics. F-22 was developed in the 1990's and early 2000's. Two decades of advancement had gone by since that time. What was top of the line then has since become obsolete.

As far as stealth, it's anyone's guess without having data.

Engine I agree with, but I don't agree with radar and avionics. F-22 was developed in the 1990's and early 2000's. Two decades of advancement had gone by since that time. What was top of the line then has since become obsolete.

You think.China has caught up to US in stealth tech?
J-20 is the 1st stealth plane from China, whereas US had been building stealth aircraft for decades before F-22 went into service.
Radar and avionics are constantly upgraded and while China is catching up, it is still a little behind from USA.

Last edited:

F-22A Raptor is being upgraded over time:

"As noted by Janes World Air Forces , since its introduction into service in 2003 the F-22 has been subject to a rolling upgrade path that has included improved avionics, updated life support systems, and new air-to-air and air‐to‐ground weapons."

Link: https://www.janes.com/defence-news/...unch-ares-modernisation-plan-for-f-22-fighter

Americans are usually tight-lipped about advances of F-22A. Some of the capabilities of this aircraft are not even hinted in Public domain.

F-22A is excellent in VLO aspects - its uniform RCS is widely believed/asserted to be lower than that of any other fighter jet in existence. Just the shaping considerations are self-explanatory (even crude understanding of LO sciences is sufficient to get the memo) - minute details are only clear to those in the knowhow who are few.

FYI: https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/commentary/2020/05/28/the-f-22-imperative/

One blunder that Americans seem to regret is stopping production of F-22A - they virtually killed a platform in short. Now they are pouring resources into development of NAGF which will replace F-22A and more eventually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom