What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

The main radar is a X-band PESA. But It has two small L-band AESA installed inside leading edge of both wings.

I do not think Su-35’s radar is superior neither.

But for a long time we hear about that all stealthy aircrafts were optimized at X-band, not L-band.

So I really wonder whether the dual-band radar concept works against J-20. Maybe we can know that by :1. Will we buy more Su-35; 2 Will PLA implement similar modification.

I do not doubt J-20's ability.Putting stealth aside, its Super-cruise, sensors and avionics are lethal too.
we are much ahead of Russia in radar technologies now`````dual-bands, multipul-bands, infrared+optical+radar integrated sensor system```etc```there are loads "arse kicking" projects under development in the sensor field``````so if the assumption of aquiring Su-35 was under the fact of its radar, then we wouldnt even pay a little interest in the first place`````so was the engine too`````

detecting a stealth object is a very complicated process, let alone to establish a firm track, and a solid lock, then finally stable guide and data links to firing missiles``````it is all about building a 5th gen network centric air combat system! and thats the real meaning and deadliness of F-35 (not the media hype or ignorant people's delusion). and this is what J-20 built to be!

so as I am going to say it again and again, there is no place for a plane like Su-35 in a 5th gen network centric air combat system`````it is just an average 4th gen (4.5 if you might want to call it) that can be very effective under some circumstance```thats it

“Putting stealth aside”
Stealth is the most important feature of the J-20 ... LOL :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:
and 5th gen network centric air combat system`````U.S and China`````only these two```I'm putting my words here and smoke like a bad-a$$`:smokin:`:lol:

for a long time we hear about that all stealthy aircrafts were optimized at X-band, not L-band

A basic knowledge,L band can detect target but can not guide missile to attack it,moreover,the L band radar on Su-35 has only very limited aperture and power because the space is limited there.
Many combat nodes can do this work much better, like ground-based UHF radar and AEWCS, but as Yangwei has said, these radar can only tell you the rough position of the stealthy fighter and you can not track it. Compared to this, EODAS is much more useful or just increase the power of the X-band radar and reduce the scanning angle

``````an health argue with minimum derailment should be accepted, :D?````

Agreed, but after about the tenth post concerning Russian technology, why the PLAAf bought the Su-35 and so on ?!!??

By the way ... is this a new bird?
https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2450687

J-20A - 20171226.jpg

... Since it is the one with the brown stuff on the intake.

Agreed, but after about the tenth post concerning Russian technology, why the PLAAf bought the Su-35 and so on ?!!??
its a long story, and also the result of a very bad judgment made by SAC back in 2006````

By the way ... is this a new bird?
https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2450687

View attachment 444945

Quite a few sources, as I saw before, said the Su-35 project received cash investment from the Chinese government intending to use it as a backup in case that the 5th generation fighter project encounters major technical difficulties and hence delay of delivery. The Chinese government later regretted as the J-20 project was going fast as scheduled. So they tried to minimize the total of the orders, rumored to be no more than 12, which caused some bilateral problems. Eventually they solved the problem after rounds of negotiations and the Russians delivered the first batch of Su-35 even earlier then expected.

China bought only 24 Su-35, and much of the reason for this is also political. China and Russia wanted to take the strategic cooperation to the "next level" - while at the same time Su-35 is nothing "special" since the plane is also offered to other countries. So in a way, Su-35 is in the same category as S-400, which is also being offered to basically any country that can pay, but China did Russia a good favor while Russia was and still is under serious economic pressure and when China buys something "first", that is a "sign" of quality - hence, Russia might get additional orders because of that - not from China, but from other countries.

But J-20 have progressed very fast and with excellent results. The same goes for FC-31. So that does not mean that China is "desperate" to buy Su-35. China likes to fill in a gap for additional number of fighters while retireing the old fighters, much less capable than Su-35. J-7 / J-8 etc being retired. So it's great to fill in the "hole" with 24 Su-35, but China never wanted a huge number of these anyway.

Now that J-20 and FC-31 are progressing fast, it's all good. The same goes with the stealth bomber than China will have ready by early 2020s. Ten years ago, China wanted to buy Tu-22 bombers from Russia, but today you wouldn't have chance to make China pay for a single Tu-22 bomber from Russia. China prefers upgrading and integrating their own versions of H-6K++ before China rolls out stealth bomber in the early 2020s.

This whole Su-35 deliveries VS J-20 reminds me of Sovremmeny deliveries between 2000 and 2006, China was waiting for Soveremmeny destroyers while China itself was pumping out stealthy destroyers like Type 052C from 2003 - 2004, after allready having Type 051C and Type 052B in active service.

The same thing you can say about Improves Kilo class SSK. China stopped ordering more of those, and China has a production of advanced Yuan-class SSKs. Russia on the other hand is still producing Improved Kilo, and has serious problems taking it to the "next level", which is supposed to be "Lada / Kalina"-class SSK.

Now, China is building cruisers while Russia is still testing a Gorskhov frigate.

I remember something funny back in 2010 - just before J-20 launch, when Russia say publicly saying what countries are going to buy PAK-FA / Su-57 and how many.

Needless to say - Russia has totally failed with the whole "projection".

http://www.pravdareport.com/russia/economics/13-09-2010/114900-sukhoi-0/

China was estimated as a "customer" buying "upto" 100 Su-57 from 2025 and onwards. Never going to happen, of course, because China doesn't need it. Neither is desperate India going to get 250 Su-57, because what going to be reality around 2025, is that China has a nice number of operational J-20 and very possibly FC-31, while India would have ZERO Su-57 and Russia only a handful of those.

Indeed. Considering that the J-15 had to incorporate canards, that's really indicative of SAC's technical abilities ...

Now, to be fair, SAC had a T-10K-3 prototype to work with during the development of the J-15.

Quite a few sources, as I saw before, said the Su-35 project received cash investment from the Chinese government intending to use it as a backup in case that the 5th generation fighter project encounters major technical difficulties and hence delay of delivery. The Chinese government later regretted as the J-20 project was going fast as scheduled. So they tried to minimize the total of the orders, rumored to be no more than 12, which caused some bilateral problems. Eventually they solved the problem after rounds of negotiations and the Russians delivered the first batch of Su-35 even earlier then expected.
nope```35 was never a "backup" of J-20```if it wasnt for the "bad" judgement from SAC regarding J-11B's future upgrade, there wouldnt be the deal of Su-35`````btw, we only wanted 2 of them at the very begining```

Indeed. Considering that the J-15 had to incorporate canards, that's really indicative of SAC's technical abilities ...
the "bad" judgement I mentioned wasnt for J-15, but J-11`````

nope```35 was never a "backup" of J-20```if it wasnt for the "bad" judgement from SAC regarding J-11B's future upgrade, there wouldnt be the deal of Su-35`````btw, we only wanted 2 of them at the very begining```

the "bad" judgement I mentioned wasnt for J-15, but J-11`````
SAC is going to suck CAC's toes

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom