What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Sorry for lost in detail, I mean Cirr posted colored J-20 sketch, it show that J-20 flying with 'orange color' in the engine nozzle? Is that want to tell that this engine has orange flame rather than blue, or it just simply a color?
Its just. a sketch don't fool yourself bro its just a artist imaginations its might be wrong:p:

083044snbknnzdqkvbozve.jpeg

Rumors in Chinese-based military based mention that PLAAF has already conducted live-fire drill with their J-20s.

Rumors in Chinese-based military based mention that PLAAF has already conducted live-fire drill with their J-20s.
yes``````

Did they incorporate the 117S from the Su-35s onto the J-20?
the domestic engine on J-20 has nothing to do with 117S from Su-35, and also the purchase of Su-35 has nothing to do to its radar or engine too``````

That is understandable. PLA AF needs to learn: 1 how to operate a stealthy fighter 2 how to fight against a stealthy fighter. It is so important to have such experience as soon as possible that they are ok with an old engine installed.

yes``````

the domestic engine on J-20 has nothing to do with 117S from Su-35, and also the purchase of Su-35 has nothing to do to its radar or engine too``````

One interesting thing about Su—35: it has one X-band PESA and two L-band AESA that are specified for detecting stealthy target. Su-35 VS J-20? definitely gonna happen in future drill.

Last edited:
That is understandable. PLA AF needs to learn: 1 how to operate a stealthy fighter 2 how to fight against a stealthy fighter. It is so important to have such experience as soon as possible that they are ok with an old engine installed.

One interesting thing about Su—35: it has one X-band PESA and two L-band AESA that are specified for detecting stealthy target. Su-35 VS J-20? definitely gonna happen in future drill.

SU35 with AESA ??? I think it has only PESA.

Definitely nothing to see here, note in the previous military drill involves J-20, the J-20 take out even AESA-based AWACS before they locate them.

According to PLA pilots, J-20 basically dominates any fighters PLA previously have, many of which has lots stealth-detecting radar/sensors as well, only to find they are useless against VLO oppoents, since the latter can feel to free to select where to enter the fight and when to leave the fight.

I dont think Su-35 make any difference here, afterall the Su-35 deal has more to do with balance of trading and political consideration than a military one.

35's radar system is quite average, the only "sparking" part is how they managed to round-up a radar that has all the inferior parts and techs, but to have similar end performance to those mainstream radars from US and China.

Russia still carries on the legacy of system engineering and industrial mathematic applications from the Soviet era. when given enough fund and manpower, they do come up with decent weapon systems. however, for complicated defence platforms you cant just rely on one wheel, you needs four in order for steady and fast pace. We learnt this well from Soviet````

anyway the game between Su-35 and J-20 will or had already taken places````but no leaks anything yet``

35's radar system is quite average, the only "sparking" part is how they managed to round-up a radar that has all the inferior parts and techs, but to have similar end performance to those mainstream AESA radars from US and China.

Russia still carries on the legacy of system engineering and industrial mathematic applications from the Soviet era. when given enough fund and manpower, they do come up with decent weapon systems. however, for complicated defence platforms you cant just rely on one wheel, you needs four in order for steady and fast pace. We learnt this well from Soviet````

anyway the game between Su-35 and J-20 will or had already taken places````but no leaks anything yet``

Would be interesting to see if they've tested the Su-35 against the J-11D. Or the J-11D against the J-20.

Would be interesting to see if they've tested the Su-35 against the J-11D. Or the J-11D against the J-20.
any games tested by PLAF would be interesting no matter what platform they tested``````the hype for Su-35 is too overrated````just like when we first bought Su-27SK in 1990s, or slightly better this time```

SU35 with AESA ??? I think it has only PESA.

The main radar is a X-band PESA. But It has two small L-band AESA installed inside leading edge of both wings.

35's radar system is quite average, the only "sparking" part is how they managed to round-up a radar that has all the inferior parts and techs, but to have similar end performance to those mainstream radars from US and China.

I do not think Su-35’s radar is superior neither.

But for a long time we hear about that all stealthy aircrafts were optimized at X-band, not L-band.

So I really wonder whether the dual-band radar concept works against J-20. Maybe we can know that by :1. Will we buy more Su-35; 2 Will PLA implement similar modification.

Definitely nothing to see here, note in the previous military drill involves J-20, the J-20 take out even AESA-based AWACS before they locate them.

According to PLA pilots, J-20 basically dominates any fighters PLA previously have, many of which has lots stealth-detecting radar/sensors as well, only to find they are useless against VLO oppoents, since the latter can feel to free to select where to enter the fight and when to leave the fight.

I dont think Su-35 make any difference here, afterall the Su-35 deal has more to do with balance of trading and political consideration than a military one.

I do not doubt J-20's ability.Putting stealth aside, its Super-cruise, sensors and avionics are lethal too.

Excuse me if some guy have had mentioned the news here before:

During a internal seminar on future air fight: The designers of J-20 from CAC give their thought about future air-fight:

In their PPT they ask an question to the PLAAF pilots in the seminar:

When your J-20 is against non-stealth fighters, on what occasion you should engage in close range and finish your enemy through dog-fight?

The answer in the PPT is something like:

On the occasion when you are very stupid.

VLO fighters have the huge advantage of being stealth to the enemies, and they can set up whatever position before engage the enemy and they can leave the battle at whatever point they feel like, that's a huge advantage, and they should use their advantage to the maximum, instead of the minimum.

That's why stealth, high-speed (super-cruise or not) and data fusion (formation and targets-sharing) are far more important features than dog-fights, at least according to designers of J-20s.

PLAAF's military exercises have proved that, in any cases, J-20 will first take out the AWACS, and then repeat infinite loop of hide-and-ambush-and-hide again until they finish all the other fighters off or they run out off missiles.

The rest PLAAF fighters simply don't have any chance and don't even find the fighter in the whole battle.

The gap between the 5th gen fighter and the rest is probably one of the largest ever, probably only next to the invention of fire-arm or nukes.

That's why I say people tend to underestimate the threaten of F-35, partly due to media's hype.

Unless the pilots screw up bigly, non-stealth fighters stand zero chance against them, that's why China need to field much more J-20 instead of try to combine J-20 with cheaper non-stealth fighters.

The main radar is a X-band PESA. But It has two small L-band AESA installed inside leading edge of both wings.

I do not think Su-35’s radar is superior neither.

But for a long time we hear about that all stealthy aircrafts were optimized at X-band, not L-band.

So I really wonder whether the dual-band radar concept works against J-20. Maybe we can know that by :1. Will we buy more Su-35; 2 Will PLA implement similar modification.

I do not doubt J-20's ability.Putting stealth aside, its Super-cruise, sensors and avionics are lethal too.
“Putting stealth aside”
Stealth is the most important feature of the J-20 ... LOL :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom