What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Maybe my eyes are too bad already, but is this a J-20 performing a Cobra-manoeuvre?

It looks not. I believe the maneuver includes a climb and a following reverse. I have seen such combination in many J-20 clips. Please watch this video

from 0:00 until 0:22 or 0:35 to 0:45. It is the same maneuver but from a different angle.

Some J-20's vertical maneuver including this one is incredible to me. It can sustain velocity and even accelerate when climbing, described by many witnesses as "like a rocket", with a following reverse without significant speed loss. This type of climb had no preparatory dives to gain substantial energy like the 4th generation fighter jets. The J-20 normally flied straight and level, and then suddenly entered the climb.

Such energy sustainability poses bigger challenges to targeting AAMs because, if it can be used in some rolls with acceleration, the missiles would quickly lose their energy and therefore lose the trace of the target.

J-20's climb and energy sustainability is somewhat even more impressive than that of F-22. But F-22 can perform a very accurate 90 degree pitch down after a vertical climb, which really demonstrates the power of its TVC system. I believe such a pitch-down is still too challenging to J-20's flight control system even though its canards are already much more useful than the horizontal stabilizers in high AoA maneuvers. So almost all J-20 climbs ended up with a reverse. I hope J-20 can do the same thing after having a TVC system.

Last edited:
J-20 vs flanker??
202528tfzj4b3p38f9q3vq.jpg

https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2452328&extra=page=1

According to Yankee, the J-20 and J-16 were used to simulate F-22/F-15E in an aerial penetrative strike against an air base defended by SAMs and Fourth generation fighters. The aggressors achieved their objective with minimal losses.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom