What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

China’s Homegrown Stealth Fighter Jet Is Now in Service
David Meyer
6:38 AM ET
China's new Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter is now in service, state media reported Thursday.

The jet is China's somewhat secretive answer to rivals such as Lockheed Martin's F-22 Raptor, which was developed for the U.S. Air Force. The country held a maiden test flight for the prototype of the J-20, its first stealth fighter, in 2011, surprising experts with the progress it had already made.

Like the F-22, the J-20 is a so-called fifth-generation fighter that boasts stealth technology and can cruise at supersonic speeds.

Earlier this month, China's air force started training a new generation of pilots for the J-20. Now, according to a brief article from the state media organization Xinhua, the jet has been "officially commissioned into military service."

When China showed off the production model of the J-20 in public for the first time in late 2016, some were surprised that it was doing so before putting the jet into service. This, observers suggested, showed a lot of confidence in the fighter. It is likely also symptomatic of China's current assertiveness in the region.

The announcement that the J-20 is now in service comes weeks before a crucial conference of China's Communist Party.

One interesting piece of information about the J-20 that emerged this month was the fact that China is building its own engines for the stealth fighter. This is important because current production models use a Russian engine—in future, China won't have to rely on a foreign supplier for that crucial part.

U.S. lawmakers have previously alleged that China stole American technology—specifically, that used in Lockheed Martin's F-22 Raptor—to develop the J-20

http://fortune.com/2017/09/28/china-chengdu-j-20-stealth-fighter-jet/

This is an indigenous fighter with a self-made turbo fan and other equipment. An incredible feat for China which wont need engine from US,Russia or Europe. A good lesson for Pakistan, we now need to get some of these.

Congrats !!:china:

To admit I'm a bit surprised, since I thought that hand-over took place in late 2016 and service entry already in March but now it is official.

J-20A splinter best.jpg

:-)

J-20A service emntry fine.jpg

@beijingwalker !

Do me a favour and I have to admit, I'm indeed angry especially after I don't know how many requests to take care.

Why the hell do You - and a few others - always start a new thread whenever a certain topic is hot on the agenda, while there are still appropriate threads available and - You are a long-time member here, You MUST know - still active ???

:hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy:

Therefore I issue a kind reminder to take a look before starting a new thread and a warning to all, who IMO only make this in order to collect whatever or to annoy he moderators. :mad:

It is not that difficult, but it is indeed hard work to keep such a section sorted while at the same time clean from trolling, nationalistic rants and stupidity.

Thanks in advance, :smitten:

Deino

Congrats !!:china:
To admit I'm a bit surprised, since I thought that hand-over took place in late 2016 and service entry already in March but now it is official.

Could it be a hint for a soon to happen hand-over to a first front-line unit?

By the way an old image I haven't seen so far. :-)

J-20A LRIP yellow + mechs on top.jpg

@Asoka: Do You remember the missing panel on that yellow '2021' and Your alleged claim it would be PSED ??? Here it is the same.

PS: '2021' continued its flight testing today.... I WANT IMAGES !!!!

Oh no ... I know 2017 was a great year, 2018 will surely be even better and now You promise 2019, maybe earlier.
My impatience will kill me... :-)
2017 was the best year for me in PLA watching since 2014, when all the 201X prototypes started rolling out. I have a good feeling that the years leading up to 2020 will be the best ...

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.45.09 PM.png

"@Asoka: Do You remember, the missing panel, on that yellow '2021', and Your alleged claim ,it would be PSED ?? Here it is the same."

@Deino Are you saying, that since the crack or missing panel, on both pictures, looks similar, then the left picture is not a fake or P.Sed? That is the cracks or gaps are not artifacts of a poor P.S. job?

Last edited:
@beijingwalker !

Do me a favour and I have to admit, I'm indeed angry especially after I don't know how many requests to take care.

Why the hell do You - and a few others - always start a new thread whenever a certain topic is hot on the agenda, while there are still appropriate threads available and - You are a long-time member here, You MUST know - still active ???

:hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy::hitwall::crazy:

Therefore I issue a kind reminder to take a look before starting a new thread and a warning to all, who IMO only make this in order to collect whatever or to annoy he moderators. :mad:

It is not that difficult, but it is indeed hard work to keep such a section sorted while at the same time clean from trolling, nationalistic rants and stupidity.

Thanks in advance, :smitten:

Deino
it is becoz some people want attentions to them desperately....:woot:

Oh no ... I know 2017 was a great year, 2018 will surely be even better and now You promise 2019, maybe earlier.
My impatience will kill me... :-)
and things like this have been going on for more than 20 years for me ```

View attachment 428497

"@Asoka: Do You remember, the missing panel, on that yellow '2021', and Your alleged claim ,it would be PSED ?? Here it is the same."

@Deino Are you saying, that since the crack or missing panel, on both pictures, looks similar, then the left picture is not a fake or P.Sed? That is the cracks or gaps are not artifacts of a poor P.S. job?

Finally You get it ! :tup:

It was always only You who claimed the left image being a photoshop-fake and I was saying from the beginning it IS real.

So it seems as if this is a rare but typical feature when an engines is mated to the J-20's airframe. Either by coincidence it is just the moment, the engine is not ready installed or IMO more likely there is plain and simple a panel missing.

Nothing special and even less a reason to spin another strange theory.

Deino

Back
Top Bottom