What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Not sure if indeed already confirmed and regarding "sound" IMO it is even more a hint for the same "screaming" sound of an AL-31 .... anyway, here's an interesting image:

View attachment 283614

Everyone can edit those recorded sounds, nothing can be conclusive.

BTW, you don't even know which variant of the AL-31 that Russia has sold to China in the past, so how you are so it is an AL-31?

So now How you would you rate latest prototype of J-20 when compared to F-22 and F-35 ?

I don't want to start another flame war, just leave it.

Everyone can edit those recorded sounds, nothing can be conclusive.

Honestly I don't think that any of these videos have a "doctored" sound only to hide the nature of these engines ... esp. if all other - and even more sensitive - items are clearly visible.

BTW, you don't even know which variant of the AL-31 that Russia has sold to China in the past, so how you are so it is an AL-31?

That's not true. The Russians were quite constantly and reliably reporting on when they delivered what type of AL-31 - either F for the Flanker and FN for the J-10 - ... however maybe due to contractual issues not on the very first contract of the first batch of AL-31FN, since the J-10 was still secret at that time. But later it was revealed how many they delivered and when the contract was signed.

As such I expect something similar for the J-20's engine ... but maybe only after it entered service when CAC or the PLAAF cannot hide any longer the true version.

Deino

Honestly I don't think that any of these videos have a "doctored" sound only to hide the nature of these engines ... esp. if all other - and even more sensitive - items are clearly visible.

That's not true. The Russians were quite constantly and reliably reporting on when they delivered what type of AL-31 - either F for the Flanker and FN for the J-10 - ... however maybe due to contractual issues not on the very first contract of the first batch of AL-31FN, since the J-10 was still secret at that time. But later it was revealed how many they delivered and when the contract was signed.

As such I expect something similar for the J-20's engine ... but maybe only after it entered service when CAC or the PLAAF cannot hide any longer the true version.

Deino

Every order of the AL-31F from China is crystal clear and completely transparent.

The latest order for the AL-31FN is only for the J-10, and you cannot prove that Russia has sold their newest AL-31FM2 to China.

Even China got the AL-31FM2, it will still be underpowered for the supercruise ability.

Unless Russia got a real 5th jet engine which is more powerful than the F119. Otherwise, it will be useless for China to order any of those Russian jet engines for the J-20.

Last edited:
I never said they sold the FM2, which in fact would not make sense, since it does not fit the J-10 and regarding being underpowered; the J-20 will remain simply underpowered until the WS-15 is done, regardless the AL-31 version.

My point is that Russia and CAC secretly agreed on a special customised version similar to the once secret FN ... and that will be revealed some day.

Anyway ... back to the RCS-test ....

J-20 ontop of RCS test stand - side.jpg

I never said they sold the FM2, which in fact would not make sense, since it does not fit the J-10 and regarding being underpowered; the J-20 will remain simply underpowered until the WS-15 is done, regardless the AL-31 version.

My point is that Russia and CAC secretly agreed on a special customised version similar to the once secret FN ... and that will be revealed some day.

Anyway ... back to the RCS-test ....

View attachment 283765

You wouldn't know that a new type of engine just got delivered from Shaanxi before 2013.

1.jpg

Did anyone notice, that both RCS-test stands are not the same ? ... the first one has a long slim pylon, whereas the second in the new image has more a tower-like arrangement.

Deino

Back
Top Bottom