What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Even if such a great momemt is surely not the right one to struggle but what makes You believe taht this one already has the WS-15 installed ?

I think we should stay realistic and this one will most likely use the same engines 2017 uses.

Anyway congrats to CAC ...

Deino

Well, it looks like your belief has been shaken, but I will firmly stand with my belief.

You must be wowed by such amazing speed. :enjoy:

Well, it looks like your belief has been shaken, but I will firmly stand with my belief.

You must be wowed by such amazing speed. :enjoy:

Not really and given the fact that it was always clear to Enter service with an interim engine there is no surprise. However I am indeed sursprised why you still hope it is already powered by the Ws-15 Even if there are simply no, None, nil, Not the slightest hint for this ?

Anyway you can surely believe whatever you want ....

Not really and given the fact that it was always clear to Enter service with an interim engine there is no surprise. However I am indeed sursprised why you still hope it is already powered by the Ws-15 Even if there are simply no, None, nil, Not the slightest hint for this ?

Anyway you can surely believe whatever you want ....

First batch of J-20's powered by the WS-10 ?

When will the WS-15 be ready ? Some dates say 2018 or past 2020 ? WS-10 development has been a learning experience development of the WS-15 should go smoother.
WS-15 needs at least 165KN thrust of power and far superior metallurgy for longer lifespan and withstand higher temperature. It will not be easy. Developement start in 2006 and next year the design and production method may finalised after 10 years of hardwork.

Last edited:
Yes. WS-10B 140KN thrust

No ... surely not ! Just give a single image or true proof that bakes that statement and again not "it is siverish" !

All details say it is an AL-31 of some sort ... but some still want to dream.

Deino

F-22, F-35 prodcution & J-20 production

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I 'll skip the I told you so and go straight to congratulating China for that LRIP.
It shows confidence in the design and I wouldn't even be shocked by a J-10
type development with a remake sooner than at MLU, sooner than later.

images-1.jpeg

Good going and good day all, Tay.

China's low-rate initial production (LRIP) of J-20 stealth fighters has begun.

I magnified Cirr's posted picture. It clearly shows a J-20 "2101" in yellow primer.

CN6DEfN.jpg

The best New Year Present for all over Chinese people and Chinese Military Enthusiast all over the World !! Yeah ! :yahoo:

This is a Great News ! Congrats for China :china:

More on the J-20 engine mystery.

I've been scrutinizing over some of my J-20 pictures recently and may have stumbled onto something strange.

First, I want everyone to look at the trailing edge of the blue petals in the AL-31FN nozzle. Notice how there are two layers of blue petals stacked on top of each other in a distinctive pattern.

vEcNRDy.jpg

Take a closer look. Once again, notice that there are two layers of blue petals. There is a top layer and a bottom layer.

5YcKiOK.jpg

Now look at the J-20 nozzles in the same area. Do you see the two layers of petals? I don't.

9ThTdtg.jpg

3tVI4vx.jpg

Regrettably, I don't have many high resolution pictures of the J-20 engines that would allow me to examine the nozzle petal arrangement in greater detail.

Also I do not believe the J-20 is using the thrust vectoring engines designed by Salut that have popped up sporadically in the past. Those engines have never made it into mass production. The petal arrangement is also completely different.

oUTyDog.jpg

More on the J-20 engine mystery.

I've been scrutinizing over some of my J-20 pictures recently and may have stumbled onto something strange.

First, I want everyone to look at the trailing edge of the blue petals in the AL-31FN nozzle. Notice how there are two layers of blue petals stacked on top of each other in a distinctive pattern.

Take a closer look. Once again, notice that there are two layers of blue petals. There is a top layer and a bottom layer.

Now look at the J-20 nozzles in the same area. Do you see the two layers of petals? I don't.

Regrettably, I don't have many high resolution pictures of the J-20 engines that would allow me to examine the nozzle petal arrangement in greater detail.

Agreed, and indeed this double-layer arrangement seems to be missing. However - and as such thanks for pointing out - they both share the same canted design (= red line) so maybe the J-10's double layer design was replaced by a new single-piece design and even more both exhausts share the same row of characteristic dot-like makings / screws (= yellow dots) and the same characteristic two part design of inner lip of the pedals (= light green detail). Sadly the J-20's engine is closed while the J-10's exhaust is fully open, so You can't see them very clearly.

Anyway IMO three more proofs that it is an AL-31-version and surely not a WS-10.

Deino

J-20 engine most likely AL-31FN version.jpg

PS: by the way thanks for Your always interesting posts, that are welcome additions and arguments to discuss.

Last edited:
Agreed, and indeed this double-layer arrangement seems to be missing. However - and as such thanks for pointing out - they both share the same canted design (= red line) so maybe the J-10's double layer design was replaced by a new single-piece design and even more both exhausts share the same row of characteristic dot-like makings / screws (= yellow dots) and the same characteristic two part design of inner lip of the pedals (= light green detail). Sadly the J-20's engine is closed while the J-10's exhaust is fully open, so You can't see them very clearly.

Anyway IMO three more proofs that it is an AL-31-version and surely not a WS-10.

Deino

View attachment 282840

PS: by the way thanks for Your always interesting posts, that are welcome additions and arguments to discuss.

Thanks Deino.

As far as I know, most if not all in-service engines in the AL-31 family have the same 'double-layer' petal arrangement. I've been checking plenty of pictures.

The AL-31F on the Su-27 has it.

86EmOFn.jpg

The 117S has it.

DIB4JfA.jpg

So the petal shape (thanks for mentioning the cant in the petal) and petal arrangement in the J-20 nozzles are very strange indeed.

Back
Top Bottom