What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

In 2011, China signed a $500 million deal for 123 AL-31FN Series 3 engines.
J-10B production began 2 years later in 2013.
We now have even more evidence that J-20 production will begin in 2016.
If Russian engines were needed, a large engine deal should have been signed in 2014.

Even more ironic, Russia announced a Su-35 deal in late November, but with no mention of any engine sales packaged with that deal.

Furthermore, the J-10B has now officially entered service (yellow serial numbers) with domestic WS-10 engines.

I think if we put all the clues together, we come to the conclusion that China doesn't need Russian engines anymore.

Not necessarily ... When did we her the First time an Offizial confirmation regarding the j-10's AL-31FN-deal ? ... At a time already several serial aircraft were already flying.

Not necessarily ... When did we her the First time an Offizial confirmation regarding the j-10's AL-31FN-deal ? ... At a time already several serial aircraft were already flying.

The AL-31FN was a brand new engine back then. There were also rumors indicating that a deal was in place for 54 AL-31FN prior to J-10 production.

Since then, AL-31FN orders occurred like clockwork.

2005: 100 engines

2007: 100 engines

2009: 122 engines

2011: 123 engines (Series 3)

But all of a sudden AL-31FN orders stopped after the 2011 deal. It has almost been 5 years without a deal. And now we are getting credible rumors that J-20 production is starting next year. Am I the only one that thinks this is odd?

... No, but IMO there is a similar Secret deal behind concerning another Brand-New Version of the AL-31FN, maybe Even 117S and we will be informed only in a few years.

... No, but IMO there is a similar Secret deal behind concerning another Brand-New Version of the AL-31FN, maybe Even 117S and we will be informed only in a few years.

I think 117S is unlikely for two reasons:

1. The rear fuselage of the J-20 simply does not allow enough room for the thrust vectoring 117S nozzles to deflect.

DIB4JfA.jpg

2. Russia is afraid China will take the 117S and put it on the J-11D. If that happens, they are hurting their own Su-35 sales. Russia has always been hesitant to sell engines that can be used on China's Flanker clones. If the Russians wanted to, they could have supported the J-11B program by selling the AL-31FM1 years ago.

I do believe Russia is fully capable of providing an improved AL-31FN with thrust equal to the AL-31FM2, with gearbox located at the bottom of course. However, it's all speculation until Salut makes the announcement.

The 117S and 117 are also part of the AL-31 family, and they all look similar.

However, the engine of the J-20 looks very different with the completely different pattern of nozzle.

You won't believe ...

But i knew it's gonna happen soon ... (as i said before if you remember)

Guess what ...

Most people wouldn't believe that the J-20 could enter into the production stage by the end of 2015, and most people still won't believe that the WS-15 right now is fully ready.

Most people are designated to eat more crows anyway.

Most people wouldn't believe that the J-20 could enter into the production stage by the end of 2015, and most people still won't believe that the WS-15 right now is fully ready.

Most people are designated to eat more crows anyway.

This is actually a good thing for us. Americans also said China will have her first flying stealth aircraft in 2020 or something like that. Other said we don't have arrestor hooks for the CV-16 and the latest video showed 9 J-15 are on board and conducting training operation. China has many surprises in store for us :enjoy:

This is actually a good thing for us. Americans also said China will have her first flying stealth aircraft in 2020 or something like that. Other said we don't have arrestor hooks for the CV-16 and the latest video showed 9 J-15 are on board and conducting training operation. China has many surprises in store for us :enjoy:

I have the feeling that the Type 002 will also give us a big surprise.

Back
Top Bottom