What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Prototype never uses the same engines for production.

But F-35 prototypes use the same engine for production... Oh wait, F-35 is no longer in prototype stage; it's already in serial production. Silly me.

But what's with all the problems it has with unfinished software, de-lamination of its composite skin, lack of fire suppression systems, neutered performance envelope, problematic helmet, etc.? If F-35 is in production, shouldn't its unit price be stabilized by now and total program cost be coming down?

Maybe ice bomb has some answers.

Interesting... It says the J-10B is equipped with Gen 1.5 AESA. I wonder what the Gen 1.0 AESA looks like. It probably never made it to production.

I thought that J-10B was supposed to be using PESA but it looks like it was using AESA afterall. Hopefully the AL-31s on the first batch will generate enough power for the gen 1.5 AESA.

But F-35 prototypes use the same engine for production... Oh wait, F-35 is no longer in prototype stage; it's already in serial production. Silly me.

But what's with all the problems it has with unfinished software, de-lamination of its composite skin, lack of fire suppression systems, neutered performance envelope, problematic helmet, etc.? If F-35 is in production, shouldn't its unit price be stabilized by now and total program cost be coming down?

Maybe ice bomb has some answers.

F-35 Deal Targets Unit Cost Below $100 Million

However, the company says that unit cost of each variant will be reduced by about 4% lot over lot. Based on the pricing targets for LRIP 5, which was inked late last year — $105 million for the F-35A, $113 million for the F-35B and $125 million for F-35C — the per-unit targets can be projected for these new LRIP 6 and 7 jets.

The F-35A variant, designed for conventional takeoff and landing (and the version with greatest appeal to international partners) is projected to cost $100.8 million in LRIP 6 and $96.8 million in LRIP 7. This is the first time since the program began production that the projected unit cost will be under $100 million.

The F-35B, optimized for short takeoff and vertical landing, is expected to cost $108.5 million in LRIP 6 and $104.2 million in LRIP 7.

Finally, the F-35C, designed with a larger wing for aircraft carrier operations, is expected to cost $120 million in LRIP 6 and another $115.2 million in LRIP 7.

:coffee:

27_260473_0eb9c006307d596.jpg

:wave:

However, the company says that unit cost of each variant will be reduced by about 4% lot over lot. Based on the pricing targets for LRIP 5, which was inked late last year — $105 million for the F-35A, $113 million for the F-35B and $125 million for F-35C — the per-unit targets can be projected for these new LRIP 6 and 7 jets.

The F-35A variant, designed for conventional takeoff and landing (and the version with greatest appeal to international partners) is projected to cost $100.8 million in LRIP 6 and $96.8 million in LRIP 7. This is the first time since the program began production that the projected unit cost will be under $100 million.

The F-35B, optimized for short takeoff and vertical landing, is expected to cost $108.5 million in LRIP 6 and $104.2 million in LRIP 7.

Finally, the F-35C, designed with a larger wing for aircraft carrier operations, is expected to cost $120 million in LRIP 6 and another $115.2 million in LRIP 7.

Say what? I thought the flyaway cost per unit for F-35A was supposed to be around $65 million at most, according to estimates from around 2001.

HIGH CLARITY PICS OF J20' WEAPONS BAY

GYFMLp1.jpg

F 22 internal's weapon bay
lockheed-martin-f-22-raptor-at-farnborough.jpg

now on comparing it with F22 internal weapon bay F22 has 3 missile launcher pylon in each weapon bay meanwhile j20 has 2 missile launcher pylon in it's bay.

Well it would be interesting if they built a foldable fin Pl 12 missile to fit a third one

CHEERS

Well it would be interesting if they built a foldable fin Pl 12 missile to fit a third one

CHEERS

It depends on the missile diameter as well. The AIM-120 is 7in in dia.. while the PL-12 is around 8..

HIGH CLARITY PICS OF J20' WEAPONS BAY

GYFMLp1.jpg

F 22 internal's weapon bay
lockheed-martin-f-22-raptor-at-farnborough.jpg

now on comparing it with F22 internal weapon bay F22 has 3 missile launcher pylon in each weapon bay meanwhile j20 has 2 missile launcher pylon in it's bay.

CHEERS

nope you are wrong here mate look close there a another point between the two missile large space is occupied by the two missile you can see two hole in the middle of the missile for 3rd hard point in the middle. :coffee:

It depends on the missile diameter as well. The AIM-120 is 7in in dia.. while the PL-12 is around 8..

True!!

& that is the reason they have to test it with 2 PL 12 missiles but one can see they have removed deliberately fins of one missile
may be checking about the concept of foldable fins would allow entry of a 3 rd missile in the middle

But like u mentioned diameter of PL 12 is bigger than AIM 120 so there is the problem

nope you are wrong here mate look close there a another point between the two missile large space is occupied by the two missile you can see two hole in the middle of the missile for 3rd hard point in the middle. :coffee:

NOPE

i am not wrong i am stating about pylons right now not about the space in between . though theoritically it can carry 3 missiles in each bay , but the problem lies in size of PL 12 missile

If they want to have 3 missile loadout in each bay they have designed a thinner missile with smaller fins ,no way this PL 12 missile can have installed in 3 missile loadout in each bay .

Check the pics carefully there is hardly any space left in between these 2 missiles provided they dont build a foldable fins missile

GYFMLp1.jpg

COMBAT AIRCRAFT MONTHLY SEPTEMBER 2013

J20 WEAPONS BAY

J20weaponsbay.jpg

so my guess of foldable fin Pl -12 c may be correct ,:lol:

CHEERS

COMBAT AIRCRAFT MONTHLY SEPTEMBER 2013

J20 WEAPONS BAY

J20weaponsbay.jpg

so my guess of foldable fin Pl -12 c may be correct ,:lol:

CHEERS

A more closer examination of the bay will also show that while the J-20 has a simple spaced layout, the F-22 has an optimized fit for the missiles which means they are very closely spaced as compared to the J-20's bay. But that again may have to do more with the diameter of the missile rather than space optimization.

Back
Top Bottom