What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

d848a35950.jpg

Are there more details available about the radar, how many T/R modules it will have for example?

Are there more details available about the radar, how many T/R modules it will have for example?

Start counting from the picture :p

Anyway, i think it would be classified for a while....

:tup:clearly the jf 17 will make pakistan a leading defence supplier for many of the third world nations. it will give pakistan the role of a god father eventually.its neighbour's counter part the tejas a.k.a the radiant won't beat jf 17 in the markets.thumps up

iam new to this site.pls tell me how to insert the avatar

:tup:clearly the jf 17 will make pakistan a leading defence supplier for many of the third world nations. it will give pakistan the role of a god father eventually.its neighbour's counter part the tejas a.k.a the radiant won't beat jf 17 in the markets.thumps up

iam new to this site.pls tell me how to insert the avatar

Look Sir, I hope You are not well aware of our Program, If You are not, Why would U bother speaking of it... If U need to Know more you may Come to Tejas Thread .... For Your Avatar, Go to user Cp(top left) then click edit avatar

J-10 from Zhuhai airshow
J-10 was clearly the star of the recent Zhuhai airshow. There were many UAVs, but J-10 attracted all of the attention. You can see many of its flight performances on youtube by searching "j-10 zhuhai air show". You will be able to find clips like this, this and this. We saw J-10 doing steep climbs, sharp turns and refueling with HU-6. It certainly prompted some new reactions to the plane. One of the more famous ones were posted by Stephen Trimble. The comment by a Moscow-based aerospace journalist is as follows.

I watched how the J-10 flew over Zhuhai, in 30 degree Celsius temperatures and high humidity.

The pilot did none of the show tricks like post-stall or tail slide or pitch-back, but turns were very tight, initial rate of turn very high. It was clear there is a lot of potential in this airplane to achieve the same maneuvers more quickly.

The pilot rarely used afterburner and the degrees of canard deflection were small. Still, the airplane flew very well. I reckon it will beat F-16C or MiG-29/SMT easily.

Now, I certainly feel vindicated that a Russian is actually really praising J-10 over Russian fighters. I'm still waiting for more article to come out on J-10 at the moment. I haven't seen anything by Richard Fisher or PKF on this.

The other revealing part about J-10 came out of an interview with Lei Qiang, one of the first J-10 test pilots. He certainly brought a lot of heated exchanges on Chinese bbs by saying that J-10 can do Cobra better than su-27. He also gave an interview with a magazine where he talked about his experiences with J-10. He talked about where J-10 was stronger and weaker. However, one of the more interesting thing that came out was a commentary online regarding Lei Qiang. The writer just talked about how the upper level in PLAAF didn't know how well J-10 would fare against su-27. So they asked Lei Qiang for his assessment. Unlike a more conservative/shy pilot would do, LQ clearly listed the areas that J-10 are better and the areas that su-27 are better. He ended it by saying that he definitely thinks J-10 can dominate su-27. So, they actually took su-27s flied by top pilots from one of the elite units and put it again J-10s flown by test pilots. And J-10 won handily. That is how J-10 project got supported. This man has also flown F-16 and Mirage III in Pakistan. He has also traveled to other country to see the tactics of other country's pilots. Basically, he has had some experience with modern Western fighters and tactics. His comments to PLAAF bosses and then the subsequent performance of J-10 vs su-27 probably ensured the success of the program.

And after the air show, we also heard PAF officials reiterating its desire to purchase about 2 squadrons of J-10. It's hard to say what is the next revelation of this plane. I suppose we will see J-10B's pictures coming out soon. We should also see WS-10A equipped J-10 pictures, although it's not that easy to differentiate that from AL-31FN equipped ones. I will also be waiting eagerly for next generation AAMs and PGMs (some of which were displayed in Zhuhai) equipped on J-10.

Thanks, then any new news about the radar on J10B?

You know about Chinese stuff, info like these is hard to come by, especially since its in the development & testing stage.

All for now we know is, NRIET made AESA is being tested on some J-10 model, rest we will know in a few years time after the product has gone through its development stage.

You know about Chinese stuff, info like these is hard to come by, especially since its in the development & testing stage.

All for now we know is, NRIET made AESA is being tested on some J-10 model, rest we will know in a few years time after the product has gone through its development stage.

well taking you point, PAF will certainly like to add a mature AESA on J-10B (highly likely Vixen-500/1000 as PAF will have more trust in Selex Galilio's products since its been a long time customer of these).Well, NRIET AESA.......I dont think so PAF would risk its front liner to be dependent upon a relatively new development rather than a product from trusted supplier.

well taking you point, PAF will certainly like to add a mature AESA on J-10B (highly likely Vixen-500/1000 as PAF will have more trust in Selex Galilio's products since its been a long time customer of these).Well, NRIET AESA.......I dont think so PAF would risk its front liner to be dependent upon a relatively new development rather than a product from trusted supplier.

Buddy, Chinese AESA systems are already in operational use, their KJ-2000 AESA based AWACS platform is in use since 2003, while the KJ-200 platform is also in use since 2005-06, and China has been playing with AESA since late 90s, thus its already more then a decade since the Chinese are playing around with AESA. Their HQ-9 series SAM system have AESA based radars, their Type-052C destroyer has AESA radar for the naval version HQ-9 missiles.

So, China has more AESA based platforms operational compared to Europeans i believe, Selex platform would be good, but they are also yet to deploy these radars operationally. While China has as mentioned many active operational platforms in service, thus plz don't underestimate the Chinese AESA radars, they have good experience in it and are building more of them and based on this experience, they are gonna be making AESA based radars for the coming fighter jets.

Currently China has 8 aerial platforms being used as AWACS & AEW&C, 3 KJ-2000s and 5 KJ-200s. 2 ships of Type-052C with AESA radars and 2-3 more on the way, and numerous HQ-9 batteries equipped with the AESA radars.

I think, the above is sufficient to tell that China is doing good in the AESA tech and have sufficient experience for PAF to go with their technology.

IMO J10B version especially make for Export (to Pakistan and few selective countries), I am pretty sure this time China will show some awesome Fighter jet with good quality of avionics and other Fighter related equipments.

Buddy, Chinese AESA systems are already in operational use, their KJ-2000 AESA based AWACS platform is in use since 2003, while the KJ-200 platform is also in use since 2005-06, and China has been playing with AESA since late 90s, thus its already more then a decade since the Chinese are playing around with AESA. Their HQ-9 series SAM system have AESA based radars, their Type-052C destroyer has AESA radar for the naval version HQ-9 missiles.
I understand your point, but don't you think the argument made by hasnain009 still stands? Ideally, PAF would not want to use relatively new fighter-borne AESA tech on the JF-17. There are already many untested systems on-board the JF-17, you don't want one of your most important systems to be brand new as well.

If all else fails, a Chinese AESA will remain the only option (and I doubt any European AESA radars will be secured). However, we're discussing the ideal here, not reality.

I understand your point, but don't you think the argument made by hasnain009 still stands? Ideally, PAF would not want to use relatively new fighter-borne AESA tech on the JF-17. There are already many untested systems on-board the JF-17, you don't want one of your most important systems to be brand new as well.

If all else fails, a Chinese AESA will remain the only option (and I doubt any European AESA radars will be secured). However, we're discussing the ideal here, not reality.

Yups Sir, the argument still stands, but problem is, even Europe has to for now produce a tested AESA platform for its fighters. CAPTOR-E is still to become operational and Selex is a part of this project. RBE2-AA is to become operational in Rafale by 2012. And then the JAS-39 Gripen NG again would be having an AESA radar in which Selex is again gonna be playing a part. Thus Selex is another option for us, except for that we have no other European option, leaving aside the Americans & Russians.

So looking at the Europeans, we have just one good bet and that would be the Vixen series from a good reliable partner for us, Selex galileo, the ones who gave us the Grifo radar, Falco UAV and other stuff. And then we have the Chinese. So, just 2 options for us, and the best one and most reliable one would be the Chinese. Plus as i mentioned, the Chinese seem to be using more of these AESA based platforms and have operationalized compared to Europeans, so my bet and guess would be that China may be having more experience and tested platforms compared to Europeans, as in Europe only Sweden has good experience with their Erieye AESA based platform, rest are still doing research, development and future operational plans.

I would have gone with Selex option for JF-17s and Chinese option for FC-20s, so that we can know the performance parameters between the both and can judge which is more good and reliable.

Plus as i said, China has lot of active platforms with AESA tech, it would most probably mean they are more confident on their tech and are maturing it more rapidly. Their major platforms are equipped with AESA radars, so if they are so confident about it, why shouldn't we be ??

Back
Top Bottom