What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

8wz4gh.jpg

Confirmed PESA radar?

I know to quick to assume or even ask... since these will be front line fighters any idea where they will be based out of ?

Confirmed PESA radar?

Now,this new pic of radar is still cannot sure PESA or AESA in CDF, however,it is reported that J10B's AESA radar is come from NanJing 14 radar research institute

Other pic about J10B radar from official sources

*AESA RADAR(607 radar research institute) information(tr;This radar is our country's first prototype of AESA fire control radar. It is developed by [unknown translation] is capable of agile beam steering, varying in power output, and low power loss. It has long detection range, strong ability in tracking multiple targets, excellent resistance to ECM, and low probabilty of interception. The successful development of this radar signifies our country's level in research of airborne radar is on par with other advanced countries. thx Engineer )

u4ef52bec447765636.jpg

PESA RADAR(NanJing 14 radar research institute) information( tr:This radar is our country's first PESA fire control radar, and is developed by 14th institute. It achieves scanning without mechanical movements through the use of electronic beam steering. The radar can detect and track multiple targets, and is capable of tracking 10 targets and engaging 4 targets simultaneously. The use of broad spectrum enables the radar to have excellent resistance against ECM. thx Engineer),
1324644387_22625.jpg

so J10B have PESA and AESA ,two or more options , China can supply PESA or AESA according to the requirement of customs

chinese synthetic aperture radar
1324644395_11787.jpg

china AESA radar has been successfully developed since the 1970s and has come up to advanced world standards
1324644385_638561.jpg

link
http://top81.jschina.com.cn/top81bbs/thread.php?cid=3&rootid=3595782&id=3595790

[--Leo--];2422265 said:
what is difference b/w AESA and PESA radar
As per my humble understanding, PESA radar uses only one beam but at a very fast steering rate Vs multiple beams in AESA radars.

[--Leo--];2422265 said:
what is difference b/w AESA and PESA radar

Passive Electronically Scanned Array (PESA) and the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) are the same in terms of technology and how they work, Both AESA and PESA can steer their beams electronically through use of the Phase Shifter, so it can be made in a solid state configuration (without any moving parts).

There are differences in the Radio Frequency source.

AESA has lots of Radiating Elements, where each of them have their own Transmitter and Receiver Module, hence the Antenna (where all the modules are) becomes 'active'

PESA uses Radio Frequency source that usually found in other types of Radar like Klystrons (linear beam vacuum tube), Magnetrons (high powered Vacuum tube) and Travelling Wave Tubes (TWT is used to amplify the Radio Frequency)

Apologies if some of is it is unclear^^^

AESA is generally better then PESA because of the following advantages:
  1. In AESA, the Antenna Elements have their own Transmitter and Receiver modules, located behind the Radiator, it would have lower or even No accidental loss (which is good since it's more efficient in that sense), whereas PESA still needs to be connected to it's Radio Frequency source to Radiating Elements , incidental loss may occur.
  2. High fault tolerance (again this depends on many other factors, but a general overview) failure of some modules will not hamper the operation of Radar; AESA may use well over a 100 elements, BUT since there is such a high number, the entire device wouldn't fail so easily, so if failure occurs in some of the module counts, the entire device would still be working.
  3. I guess this is pretty much the same as the above, but AESA has No single point failure; the definition is pretty much self explanatory... A single failure will not lead to the failure of the entire device. PESA however, since it uses single transmitter device ie TWT, failure of the transmitter would affect the whole radar.
  4. High ECM resistance, since the fast scan of the AESA radar makes it hard for ECM devices to correct the azimuth ('angle' to put it simply) and elevation the radar's lobe is directed. Also since AESA have high gain thus high ERP, so noise jamming techniques used by some ECM devices wouldn't work in trying to jam the radar.
  5. Fast scan of the emitter, gives it LPI features.

With that said, I wouldn't mind if our FC-20s got PESA, AESA would be a preference. But both Passive/Active ESA enjoy advantages over other radars.

regards,

with so much advantages what will be the price difference in both the radars in terms of whole j10 B? And despite of price difference why would PAF select PESA over AESA ???????? In current scenario when our Enemy is getting super Suks with AESA and also getting brand new fighters either Euro fighter or Rafael why would we get a J10 with out a good radar ? I think its time to get out of old tech and armed our fighters with some new gadgets as for now we have some serious threats on our afghan border also.

with so much advantages what will be the price difference in both the radars in terms of whole j10 B? And despite of price difference why would PAF select PESA over AESA ????????
Shouldn't worry about the cost too much, unlike western projects, Chinese AESA wont set us back by too much. I don't expect the price difference between KLJ-10 and possible AESA to change by a significant amount. The gap would be even smaller between AESA and PESA.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on the issue.

In current scenario when our Enemy is getting super Suks with AESA and also getting brand new fighters either Euro fighter or Rafael why would we get a J10 with out a good radar ?
No we will get a good radar, AESA is likely.
We had some stats about the T/R modules a while ago, the number was something like 1200 T/R modules which isn't bad at all.

Remember J-10B will have technologies from CAC's 5th gen.

I think its time to get out of old tech and armed our fighters with some new gadgets as for now we have some serious threats on our afghan border also.

I am confident PAF will be able to deal with our neighbors to the East, but facing up to the USN or USAF, isn't something we can do. You have to be realistic, instead of spending heavily to try to face up to them and get nowhere, money could be better spent elsewhere.

regards,

No we will get a good radar, AESA is likely.
We had some stats about the T/R modules a while ago, the number was something like 1200 T/R modules which isn't bad at all.

Remember J-10B will have technologies from CAC's 5th gen.

regards,

I didn,t get this part brother bec i am not of engineering side i am a environmentalist so plz explain this to me what T/R modules are and how it is good for us ????????????

I didn,t get this part brother bec i am not of engineering side i am a environmentalist so plz explain this to me what T/R modules are and how it is good for us ????????????

Instead of getting into all that technical thing just understand this that more the T/R (Transmit/Receive) modules better the AESA radar and 1200 T/R modules in Chinese AESA radar means a radar equivalent of a F-35 (fifth gen) radar.

T/R modules. To put it simply are Transmit/receive modules, the number of T/R modules directly impacts the performance of the radar.

To put it into perspective... the F-35's radar has 1200 T/R modules, the Captor of the EFT has 1400 T/R modules and the Rafale's RBE2 has 1000 T/R modules, the F-16 Block 60 has 1000 T/R Modules.

And of course the j-10B's radar is said to have 1200 T/R modules

Thanx alot brothers now i get it . But one que remains r v getting this AESA or simply PESA

Back
Top Bottom