What's new

Changing Bengali attitudes towards Bangladesh

Rakhi bondon akta utshob. It's to strengthen the bond between a brothers and sisters and of course celebration follows suit. You sure bro you are Bangladeshi?? You do know that in Bangladesh we do celebrate a lot of festivals together, or don't you!?

Munāfiq is an Islamic Arabic term used to describe a religious hypocrite, who outwardly practices Islam, while inwardly concealing his disbelief (kufr), perhaps even unknowingly.

Now how does that relates to "Rakhi bandhan'" utshob!!!

Thanks.

Islam is not wikipedia actually!

In Surah Baqarah Allah speaks about 2 types of Munafiqs,

The ones who are enemies to Islam, The Spies, Those who plot and plan against Islam in Secrecy but In public act as Muslims.

Then there are the WORST ones, The ones who are hypocrite Muslims but do not even know it themselves.

The Sahabas were told of this, and UMAR (RA) heard that Allah knows the hypocrites, like some sort of List which there are names of those Munafiqs... lol and Umar (RA) was shaking worried his name was on that list...

Munafiqs who knows those might be ME or You! Even Our rightly guided caliph was scared of it!

Rethink Akhi

If Rakhi Bandan is slightly related to another religion it is haram for you! This is not religious forum and i am not here to lecture on my religion! But i cant stand people spreading confusion about it!

Islam is not wikipedia actually!

Munafiqs who knows those might be ME or You! Even Our rightly guided caliph was scared of it!

Rethink Akhi

If Rakhi Bandan is slightly related to another religion it is haram for you! This is not religious forum and i am not here to lecture on my religion! But i cant stand people spreading confusion about it!

if it doesnt contradict with islam, it should be fine and rakhi is more of a cultural thing tell me this why do you not see islamic styled wedding in bangladesh or pakistan? the red saari is still there and open mixing of people thats not very islamic is it and also the flamboyance

A real story based on history how Emperor Humayun of Delhi went to save his Rakhi Bandhan sister Rani Durgabati from the onslaught of a Sultan Bahadur Shah that changed the course of Hindustan's history. Humayun was supposed to rush to Bengal to crush the usurper Sher Khan, but he could not resist the call from his Rakhi sister and went to the west/south (was it Malwar?), instead.

He saved the Rani but Sher Khan consolidated his hold in Bengal during this lapse of time. This finally caused Humayun to leave India, but he never regretted his earler decision to help Rani Durgabati. Muslims are supposed to be lion-hearted like Humayun, and they were always like this during their good days. They were not like present day chicken-hearted small Talibanists who defy a ceremony, an occassion or a goodwill gesture from other religionists that closes the sectarian differences.

A religion is certainly not something like a ladder that automatically takes somebody to the Paradise because he commits himself to certain rituals that really may not purify his heart. I personally find it overwhelming that the Hindu ladies crossed the border and fastened the sacred thread to their otherwise Muslim enemy brothers of BGB. We must respect their goodwill.

A real story based on history how Emperor Humayun of Delhi went to save his Rakhi Bandhan sister Rani Durgabati from the onslaught of a Sultan Bahadur Shah that changed the course of Hindustan's history. Humayun was supposed to rush to Bengal to crush the usurper Sher Khan, but he could not resist the call from his Rakhi sister and went to the west/south (was it Malwar?), instead.

He saved the Rani but Sher Khan consolidated his hold in Bengal during this lapse of time. This finally caused Humayun to leave India, but he never regretted his earler decision to help Rani Durgabati. Muslims are supposed to be lion-hearted like Humayun, and they were always like this during their good days. They were not like present day chicken-hearted small Talibanists who defy a ceremony, an occassion or a goodwill gesture from other religionists that closes the sectarian differences.

A religion is certainly not something like a ladder that automatically takes somebody to the Paradise because he commits himself to certain rituals that really may not purify his heart. I personally find it overwhelming that the Hindu ladies crossed the border and fastened the sacred thread to their otherwise Muslim enemy brothers of BGB. We must respect their goodwill.

when she was attacked by sultan bahadur Shah, she had no other option! Sent a letter to opium addict Humayun to help her with Rakhi to protect her from committing suicide! Bahadur Shah sent a letter to Humayn that He had waged a Jihad and Humayun should keep himself away! But Humayun attacked Sultan Bahdur! His Imam that evening Recited the following Surah in Maghrib prayer to prevent him and was executed for this! Those chicken heart talibans are far better than opium addict Humayn! Sher Shah was thousand times better than him as general as ruler as Muslim LION HEART!

اَلَمۡ تَرَ کَیۡفَ فَعَلَ رَبُّکَ بِاَصۡحٰبِ الۡفِیۡلِ

اَلَمۡ یَجۡعَلۡ کَیۡدَہُمۡ فِیۡ تَضۡلِیۡلٍ

وَّ اَرۡسَلَ عَلَیۡہِمۡ طَیۡرًا اَبَابِیۡلَ

تَرۡمِیۡہِمۡ بِحِجَارَۃٍ مِّنۡ سِجِّیۡلٍ

فَجَعَلَہُمۡ کَعَصۡفٍ مَّاۡکُوۡلٍ
Have you not seen how your Lord dealt with the People of the Elephant? [1] Has He not turned their plan into nullity? [2] And He sent upon them flying birds in flocks, [3] throwing upon them stones of baked clay, [4] and thus He turned them into an eaten-up chaff. [5]

@ kobiraz : Dude what is your political disposition again ?

Different at different times. Choose between the following:

Bilious. Flatulent. Dyspeptic.

Joe, I'm a lazy basterd so if you could oblige me by summing up your side of the argument and their side of the argument in a short paragraph, I'd be thankful !

@ kobiraz : Dude what is your political disposition again ?

why?? at first it was Bangladeshi Nationalism (BNP) ....then pan Islamism ( influenced by close friends)! but Still politically active in BNP student wing! was beaten by "Hindu" awami leaders for luring batchmates and Juniors to BNP politics, cant live in college hostel!:blink: ...

why?? at first it was Bangladeshi Nationalism (BNP) ....then pan Islamism ( influenced by close friends)! but Still politically active in BNP student wing! was beaten by "Hindu" awami leaders for luring batchmates and Juniors to BNP politics, cant live in college hostel!:blink: ...

I'm fond of 'Pan-Islamism' myself but when I talk about that I mean a stronger OIC then its present sorry excuse for an existence and perhaps even a cross between the EU and NATO tailor made for the Muslim World. Having said that I don't see that happening in my life time because it requires a political maturity and political consciousness that none of our nations at presently display...perhaps Turkey does slightly !

Its good to be politically conscious but a word to the wise, don't go on joining student organizations that often resort to petty thuggery and vandalism. Here in Pakistan the MSF, the BSF, the Jamiat-e-Tulaba and almost every other organization out there is exactly the aforementioned two things. But of course I do apologize if the student wing of the BNP isn't like that...!

Joe, I'm a lazy basterd so if you could oblige me by summing up your side of the argument and their side of the argument in a short paragraph, I'd be thankful !

Frankly, I have no argument on labels. Everybody who speaks Bengali as his or her first language is a Bengali (in English) or Bangali (in the vernacular).

There are apparently two factions among the people of Bangladesh. One faction says that all are Bangalis. This is apparently the Awami League point of view. The other faction says that the people of Bangladesh are some of them Bengali/Bangali, some Chakma, and several others, therefore calling citizens of Bangladesh Bangali is inadequate, they should properly be Bangladeshi.

I detect a third group, who do not articulate their belief quite so bluntly, except for some intransigents, who seem to believe that the division lies along religious lines. To them, Bengalis are Hindus, so Bangladesh Muslims need a different identity, and that is Bangladeshi. You will notice that the third and the second factions don't agree. Both of these are associated with the BNP founded by Zia ur-Rahman, to legitimize his dictatorship.

The Bangladeshi faction, both sub-sets, are a difficult and dislikable lot. It is best to avoid them, as being bitten by them carries an onerous treatment protocol along with it.

Wiser words could not have been said to explain the context of Religion! I commend that Sir.
Unfortunately over the years Men (and women) seem to have only bound themselves to the Form of Religious Practices without divining (pun intended) the Substance of Religion. And when questioned about this lacuna, sought escape by some vague attributions to some Divine Elements! When it all exists in so simple a form for any human to understand (if he only thinks).
You used just a few words too, that is how its meant to be.

@ Joe : Thanks for the response, though I'm sure that in reality people might exist between factions instead of being wholly with one or the other. Having said that where do you think does an individual's right to choose or refuse their past, embrace another's identity or completely reinvent an identity altogether seems like a valid proposition. I think that because all of these 'labels' are after all inventions at one time or another with little relevance barring the fact that at some point in time a group of people realized that because they now spoke the same language, dressed up in the same way, ate the same things, celebrated the same festivals, even looked similar in appearance - They should substantiate or rather christian (in a way!) those similarities by naming themselves such and such a thing hence how all these 'ethno-linguistic' identities were formed.

For example on my Dad's side I'm an ethnic Kashmir on my Mom's side I'm an ethnic Punjabi..now I know for a fact that neither of those two ethnic group's recorded history goes back beyond a few thousand years (lets pick 10,000 as a big round number !) so surely they must have been something else before that ? And if that is true then what would be irrational in say, myself, deciding that here on this day (03/08/2012) I decide that my identity would be that of a 'Newfoundlander' or that of a 'Bengali' and I'd learn all of the things that are traditionally considered the cornerstone of any such identity - language, unique cultural practices etc. The point I'm trying to make is that if these are, at the end of the day, mere 'conscious decisions' on part of any individual then would it seem irrational for a Person 'A' to decide that he'd like to be associated with Ethnicity 'B' instead of the one that he was born in ?

I'd like to add a little more to this as well : Joe, where or rather when do you think is a society radically changed enough for there to be a need for a 'reinvented' or at least 'new' identity ? Which is to say if someone's reference point in life that influences everything that one does from cradle to grave is so radically changed then does one still belong to the same demographic identity or does one have the right to call him/herself something different ? I am of course referring to the spread of Islam in the Indian subcontinent and how Islam by its very nature was both theologically and practically (though regrettably that resulted in a lot of blood spilled too !) different then the original faith and the way of life of the inhabitants of our subcontinent and in being embraced by whole swathes of the population (forcefully or otherwise...the adherence was there !) in some parts of the Indian subcontinent there was, I would assume, a paradigmatic shift in the collective consciousness of the society whereby in many things the rights of yesterday became the wrongs of today and vice versa...and things of a similar connotation. Do you think then would a community or a society be justified in evolving their identity from 'A' to 'Z', should they wish it ?
Of course, this wouldn't be applicable to the areas where a much more syncretic and less...*how should I put this*, theologically and practically confrontationalist Islam took root !

Why would anyone want to claim Chakmas as Bengali, makes no sense. This is just a canard but the real issue stems from the identity crisis that's Bangladeshis seem to suffer from. It seems according to them Bengali culture, literature etc is heavily "Hindu"(quote is intentional) dominated, which is partly true, so they want to disassociate themselves from those people who in Bangladeshi parlance, malauns.

It's ok if someone finds his salvation in self-loathing, who am I to oppose, but don't give a bad name to everyone of us. That's why I'd prefer if Bangladeshis stop using Bengali to refer them, or atleast use Bangladeshi Bengali.

^ Above not applied for Rawami dalals, Islamic name Munafiqs and Hindu name Mushriks.

Labong can you tell me why West Bengal still using the word the "West" in their state name, move live simply naming the state as Banga or Bengal is always resisted. Because I have seen many West Bengalis who don't like Bangladeshis.

It seems those who make decision want us to remember that we, people of West Bengal are not an entity unto ourselves but part of a bigger entity. But you have to understand that the cognate sub-entity of West Bengal is not Bangladesh, but East Bengal, an entity which is now lost, but many Indian Bengalis including me, Joe, toxic_pus, pmukherjee and probably Skulls and Bones as well, trace our root to erstwhile East Bengal.

Back
Top Bottom