What's new

Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee visits Baykar UAV facility in Turkey

Asfandyar Bhittani

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Nadeem Raza on his visit to Baykar R&D and production center in Turkey.
1617033673924.png

Pakistan in 2016: "Everything in Turkey's actually Western origin. No point in working with them on anything. And no one cares about South African stuff."

Pakistan in 2021: "Can we buy Turkish drones and Emirati-South African mini-drones?"

Honestly, what a nation. We literally could have co-developed this stuff from them and not ask this question, "can we buy?"

Pakistan in 2016: "Everything in Turkey's actually Western origin. No point in working with them on anything. And no one cares about South African stuff."

Pakistan in 2021: "Can we buy Turkish drones and Emirati-South African mini-drones?"

Honestly, what a nation we have.
Sir issue with Turkish products are engines. They are all from Europe. The moment that issue is resolved, Turkey is the best source for Land Vehicles and Anti Tank weapons and other such stuff.

Sir issue with Turkish products are engines. They are all from Europe. The moment that issue is resolved, Turkey is the best source for Land Vehicles and Anti Tank weapons and other such stuff.
Ukraine is a good source of engines as well for now.

Yeah but they're developing the engines as we speak, so in 3-5 years even those won't be an issue. Hilariously, the Turks are working with Ukraine on UAV engines. Ukraine is the other country which wanted to work with us on aerospace, but our heads were up Russia's rear that time (God knows why).

I was basically the only person saying in 2016 that we should work with Turkey, South Africa and Ukraine. We Pakistanis would sell the cave without checking if it's a salt mine first, and then complain why others were selling our salt.

Honestly, what a nation. We literally could have co-developed this stuff from them and not ask this question, "can we buy?"
Safe to say that our brand is "staying two steps behind" lol.
Trivia for our Turkish members:
In Urdu, "Baykar" translates to "useless" lol.

Last edited:
I guess, we like to wait if a product is fully functional or not. Or may be falco experience had made us reluctant, that if Italian didn't do a better job then how come Turkey can.

But I remember Bilal saying for cooperation with south Africa for air weapons, and with Ukraine for small transport/civilian air craft.
Edited: I described our behaviour.

Last edited:

The present state of Urdu lexicon often fails one's intent - but not on this occasion. "ناعاقبت اندیش" describes us perfectly.

"... till at length
Your ignorance, which finds not till it feels,
Making not reservation of yourselves,
Still your own foes, deliver you as most
Abated captives to some nation
That won you without blows!
"
(Coriolanus, Shakespeare)

There is a huge problem with Pak Mil procurement and development. It is an unspoken truth that many of us avoid openly discussing given the sensitivity of this topic. But the uniformed oversight with limited institutional knowledge and poor long term planning without fiscal prudence and objectives will always stunt PK Defence industry.

I guess, we wait if a product is fully functional or not. Or may be falco experience had made us reluctant, that if Italian didn't do a better job then how come Turkey can.

But I remember Bilal saying for cooperation with south Africa for air weapons, and with Ukraine for small transport/civilian air craft.
IMO that approach stops kills original or indigenous solution. Our procurement is totally biased in favour of the Chinese and the West, i.e., foreign currency exit ramps.

To be like the US, the Europeans, the Chinese, and now Turkey, we would need to let go of "wait for it to be mature." Otherwise, we won't develop our own stuff.

Yeah but they're developing the engines as we speak, so in 3-5 years even those won't be an issue. Hilariously, the Turks are working with Ukraine on UAV engines. Ukraine is the other country which wanted to work with us on aerospace, but our heads were up Russia's rear that time (God knows why).

I was basically the only person saying in 2016 that we should work with Turkey, South Africa and Ukraine. We Pakistanis would sell the cave without checking if it's a salt mine first, and then complain why others were selling our salt.

Ukraine made what I thought were decent offers when their delegation visited Pakistan but then I recall reading statements from "anonymous sources" turning down Ukraine in favour of Russia. Five years on, we have gotten precious little from Russia.

Back
Top Bottom