What's new

CCAV revealed j-10's radar

aimarraul-albums-22235-28789-picture2579-1004121106ed19773d59cfb2a9.jpg

aimarraul-albums-22235-28789-picture2580-1004121105e0de7a167b40e4c2.jpg

aimarraul-albums-22235-28789-picture2582-10041211060ab1e98442a2d066.jpg

aimarraul-albums-22235-28789-picture2581-1004121105c85ce499c5082242.jpg

I'll do the translation for the pictures provided to put some of your minds at ease. Although what she was saying had nothing to do with technical stuff; it seemed more to do with national pride and typical CCTV-styled propaganda messages. (Need to find the original video clip to see the full picture though.)

Picture 1: It was like a child.

Picture 2: "J-10" represented our (efforts of) blood and sweat for several generations. (Name of the presenter: Wang, Xiaoyan - Wang being the surname).

Picture 3 & Picture 4: Exactly same words as picture 2. (Probably a couple of seconds after the video frame in picture 2)

The state media are very strict, it won't leak any latest tech. It is up to the viewers to figure out what those radar photos are.

Whats CCAV? you mean CCTV?

Didn't know CCTV had pretty presenters. I think I should start watching CCTV from now on ;):cool:

bg_top_owner.jpg

The female presenter is named "Wang, Xiaoyan"
she's the presenter for channel CCTV-7 programmes "Wish You Succeed" and "Military Technologies"

Here's some of her bio:

DoB: 12th December (Sorry no year info)
born in Jilin Province
Height 1.66m
Ethnicity: Han Chinese
Blood type: O
Star sign: Sagittarius
Personal interests: Singing, Ping-pong
Favorite colour: Orange, Blue
Favorite fruit: Apple
Favortie book: Jane Eyre
Favorite activity: Travelling
Favorite traits in a person: Integrity

She was born in a military family, graduated in 1996 from PLA Nanjing Political Institute - majoring news and media - so I guess she was born in the middle of 1970s, not age 40 as someone said, but surely 35+

Unfortunately dude, no phone numbers listed, hahah...

Last edited:
This should be fun, what according to you is an "MMR"?
Fun????:smitten:
|Hmmm....
A simple short reply is that an MMR uses a local oscillator referenced to a magnetron and carries other processing and related exciters,amplifiers,.......All these happens away from the antenna array(again which is another microwave antenna be it a slotted waveguide antenna, micro strip antenna,...... depending on the various requirements)
In short, what we see in this pic an antenna array with all other hardware hidden behind the racking system.

If its either an AESA/PESA it has to include those TR
Death.By.Chocolate said:
As always your posts are appreciated for its sheer entertainment value . I am curious to know, why do you bring MMR into the discussion. Especially since TamilKhan did a great job at debunking your buddy's theory ...
I didnt get my answer yet.
I am of the opinion that Its micro-strip/ MMR ,after looking at its Antenna Array pannel.

I might be wrong as well,considering that chinese have mastered the nano technology with the realisation of "Y" junction transistors,there by completely bringing down the size of this supossedly phased array radar .And what we see it as an antenna array might also include those trans-receive modules :undecided:

|Hmmm....
A simple short reply is that an MMR uses a local oscillator referenced to a magnetron and carries other processing and related exciters,amplifiers,.......All these happens away from the antenna array(again which is another microwave antenna be it a slotted waveguide antenna, micro strip antenna,...... depending on the various requirements)
In short, what we see in this pic an antenna array with all other hardware hidden behind the racking system.

If its either an AESA/PESA it has to include those TR

I didnt get my answer yet.
I am of the opinion that Its micro-strip/ MMR ,after looking at its Antenna Array pannel.

I might be wrong as well,considering that chinese have mastered the nano technology with the realisation of "Y" junction transistors,there by completely bringing down the size of this supossedly phased array radar .And what we see it as an antenna array might also include those trans-receive modules :undecided:

ouch ...my head hurts :hang2:

Slow down big boy :azn: you've already established that I'm not too bright so please be a dear and expand on the acronym MMR and then explain your post without using fancy words like "magnetron" and "oscillator" and what not :smitten:

MMR = MultiMode Radar

Mauryan's point is that if the Chinese radar displayed in the image was an AESA, the circular 'antenna' would be comprised of TR modules, and therefore would be thicker like the Vixen and APG-77 'antenna'.

MMR = MultiMode Radar

Mauryan's point is that if the Chinese radar displayed in the image was an AESA, the circular 'antenna' would be comprised of TR modules, and therefore would be thicker like the Vixen and APG-77 'antenna'.

AM, I don't think Mauryan has a clue what he's on about, he's stolen VERBATIM the abstract from US Patent 4042922 adding some confusing gibber gabber to the end of his sentence to mask his effort.

A multi-mode radar includes a local oscillator referenced to the radar magnetron and includes logic provided to side step the local oscillator during the latter portion of the radar interpulse period so as to permit adjustment of the receiver gain during this period without interference from distant targets. In addition, IF amplifiers are selectable in accordance with the operational radar mode selected.

Multi-mode radar system - US Patent 4042922 Abstract

Mauryan said:
Fun????
|Hmmm....
A simple short reply is that an MMR uses a local oscillator referenced to a magnetron and carries other processing and related exciters,amplifiers,.......

AM, I don't think Mauryan has a clue what he's on about, he's stolen VERBATIM the abstract from US Patent 4042922 adding some confusing gibber gabber to the end of his sentence to mask his effort.
You got that right. Google is a double-edged sword. The guy is not too smart to realize it.

You got that right. Google is a double-edged sword. The guy is not too smart to realize it.

True, I know I won't be wasting any more time on him.

|Hmmm....
Folks...Here is the truth about what is called Multi-Mode Radar and all the talks about magnetron and oscillator, while they are important components of any radar system, the way they are presented does not explain one whit about what is an MMR and how does it function.

Pre-AESA...

All radar systems have only one beam. For the sake of clarity, we will dispense with sidelobes (beams) for now and just focus on the main beam. We know that freq, pulse repetition and amplitude, the three main components of a transmit period, which can be as short as one pulse but usually last more than one, give us different target resolutions.

For example...

Radar Frequency Bands

However, because we have only one beam and most fighter-type aircraft radar systems are limited to within a bandwidth, say the X band for example, how do we refine our target resolutions when we find a target and when we do something like clutter filtering or volume search?

The answer lies in the data processing section of the receiver module AND how it communicate with the transmitter module. What the choreography does is to alter the beam's characteristics at the appropriate time and direction to give us refined target characteristics and when the beam move away from the target, its characteristics are altered again to perform another type of function, such as volume search, or MTI, or Doppler processing against ground clutter...etc...etc...This manipulation of the main beam occurs so rapidly that it gives the impression that the radar system is multi-tasking but in reality it is pseudo MMR. However, manipulation of the beam, or when to do it, depends on the time the beam meet said target, or multiple targets, and that depends on the mechanical actuations of the antenna itself. Antenna scan speed, scan rate and scan physical limits determines the overall effectiveness of this pseudo MMR system. This is why even the best that anyone can put on the market can still give pilots inadequate or even false information sometimes.

The only true multi-tasking radar system is one that employs multiple beams SIMULTANEOUSLY and that is an AESA that has subarray partitioning and choreography softwares to manage all those beams. An AESA system that does not have subarray partitioning, meaning dividing the main array into several smaller arrays, is just as 'good' as the average PESA. In other words, if you cannot afford an AESA that comes with subarray partitioning and choreography capabilities, might as well spend less on a PESA and it will serve you just fine, providing you do not go up against an adversary that has said true and full AESA capabilities.

Hi
But whats the conclusion what kind of a radar is that in the pictures?
My opinion is that she is cute...Oh...!!! You were asking about the radar thingie...So sorry...!!! Looks like an ordinary single beam type to me.

ouch ...my head hurts :hang2:

Slow down big boy :azn: you've already established that I'm not too bright so please be a dear and expand on the acronym MMR and then explain your post without using fancy words like "magnetron" and "oscillator" and what not :smitten:

Multi-mode radar system - US Patent 4042922 Abstract

Excuse me Sir, I accept that i have left electronics field 10 years back in university and not too good with it now but words like magnetron and oscillator are no where as fancy as you make it out to be.

Oscillators are frequency generators that i learned about in 3rd semester at age of 18 in solid state electronics. Its an integral part of Radar and other communication systems, hell it is even used in FM radios to carry information by modulating frequency of the wave (data/information is filtered by comparing to unaltered wave). In digital circuits, uses of counters, flip flops and Op-AMP (operational amplifier) is rampant. Right now using Internet, your modem is getting clocking (oscillator) from exchange or using its own.

So even a fresh graduate just out of university knows about them without having any defense knowledge. No need to accuse Mauryan that he copied from a source in Google, ask any electronic graduate of your choice.

Excuse me Sir, I accept that i have left electronics field 10 years back in university and not too good with it now but words like magnetron and oscillator are no where as fancy as you make it out to be.

Oscillators are frequency generators that i learned about in 3rd semester at age of 18 in solid state electronics. Its an integral part of Radar and other communication systems, hell it is even used in FM radios to carry information by modulating frequency of the wave (data/information is filtered by comparing to unaltered wave). In digital circuits, uses of counters, flip flops and Op-AMP (operational amplifier) is rampant. Right now using Internet, your modem is getting clocking (oscillator) from exchange or using its own.

So even a fresh graduate just out of university knows about them without having any defense knowledge. No need to accuse Mauryan that he copied from a source in Google, ask any electronic graduate of your choice.
The point here is that the guy uses them in a way that does not explain at all what is the meaning of Multi-Mode Radar (MMR). The question...As asked by the lady...

...Is supposed to be high level, not component level. In other words...What modes are there in radar detection? Why should there be multiple modes? How does it work? And give the readers a brief explanation at said high level.

The fact that he has to resort to component level most likely mean he never knew anything about basic radar detection principles in the first place and to put a front he just uses whatever Google returned.

what tamilkhan talked about is a PESA and what we are seeing in pic is an MMR.
By Zeus Great Brass Balls...!!!

Thanks to modern electronics, and this goes back to the 20th century, ALL radars are multi-mode capable. It does not matter if the antenna is phased array or slotted. What make a radar system multi-mode capable is in the 'boxes' behind the antenna, not the antenna itself.

Back
Top Bottom