What's new

CCAV revealed j-10's radar

In the pics one can clearly see that the radar is tilted differently in every pic. That means that the radar is mechanically steered. It is not an AESA and hence a PESA.

Can anyone translate and tell what the titles say.

EDIT: It seems that the radar is indeed KLJ-10.

it is the radar of J-10, not J-10A, let alone J-10B, we never leak latest tech

j10bdiffsmar16.jpg

I have studied this plane a little. The nose seems to be the same size, which indicates that the radar has not been changed or has been changed with a similar radar, but the antenna on the nose is longer. I don't have an answer for that.

Also the shape of nose seems to be the same too.

According to me the nose of J10 is 1.1m long. Mig 29 nose seems to be 1.2 m in length.

Their radius also looks similar. So a little speculation leads me to believe the radar in use is a PESA with range similar to Mig29's radar.

If the chinese had an AESA radar, they would have used it on their frontline fighter Su30MKK, which is their best aircraft.

And yes, its all speculation, so don't kill me for it. :P

In the pics one can clearly see that the radar is tilted differently in every pic. That means that the radar is mechanically steered. It is not an AESA and hence a PESA.

Can anyone translate and tell what the titles say.

EDIT: It seems that the radar is indeed KLJ-10.

Why can't an AESA radar be mounted on a mechanical swash plate?
You may want to read up on Selex Galileo ES05 Raven AESA.

j10bdiffsmar16.jpg

I have studied this plane a little. The nose seems to be the same size

If the chinese had an AESA radar, they would have used it on their frontline fighter Su30MKK, which is their best aircraft.

J-10 and J10B with same size and nose ?SU-30MKK is our best fighter?

buy a pair of glasses......su-30mkk is bomber for PLAN.....

j10bdiffsmar16.jpg

I have studied this plane a little. The nose seems to be the same size, which indicates that the radar has not been changed or has been changed with a similar radar, but the antenna on the nose is longer. I don't have an answer for that.

Also the shape of nose seems to be the same too.

According to me the nose of J10 is 1.1m long. Mig 29 nose seems to be 1.2 m in length.

Their radius also looks similar. So a little speculation leads me to believe the radar in use is a PESA with range similar to Mig29's radar.

And yes, its all speculation, so don't kill me for it. :P
Hi
If SU-30 was best Chinese wouldn't need to work on J-10 so get over your self please, and stop trying to inflame all the new threads just go out and enjoy air if its not polluted.

:what:????????

Last edited:

:what:

I think you haven't studied chinese radars. The chinese AESA radars are not mechanically steered. A little reading on KJ2000 would help.

I think you haven't studied chinese radars. The chinese AESA radars are not mechanically steered. A little reading on KJ2000 would help.

No I haven't studied Chinese systems specifically especially because there is very little material available for research. I'm not sure what you are implying by bringing in the KJ2000?

Hint: take a close look at the TR modules in the first post.

"Sometimes, you have to look at something for a long time and then hit yourself on the side of the head. Take this image from the MAKS Moscow air show, showing the NIIP Irbis-E radar of the new Su-35 fighter.

It's a radar on a gimbal, you might say. Nothing unusual about that.

But it's also an electronically scanned array (ESA). Which means that its electronic scan angle is added to its mechanical scan angle. The result is that while most fighter radars scan to 60 degrees off the nose, the Su-35 radar covers twice that volume.

One tactical application, among many: the Su-35 can launch a datalink-updated missile like an R-27 or R-77 and then turn sharply away, avoiding the adversary's return shot while its own missile continues to guide.

Also, one disadvantage of electronically scanned radars is that their effective aperture and performance declines at the edges of the scan volume. The Irbis maintains full performance out to its full mechanical sweep limits.

It's not the lightest way to build a radar, and a bit of a compromise. Note that Sukhoi does not advertise the full search volume as being available in a helmet-sight-pointed mode: a good guess is that, in that mode, the array will not move fast enough (the moving parts are much heavier than a typical mechanically scanned antenna) and it is locked forward, the radar relying entirely on electronic scanning. But in the long-range missile fight - or, for instance, for guiding an anti-ship weapon - it's a potentially crucial advantage. "

c63620e7-b7c8-4610-b512-0a825f643bd9.Large.jpg

in an AESA radar transmitter and receiver functions are composed of numerous small solid-state transmit/receive (T/R) modules.while a PESA has a central radiofrequency source (such as a magnetron, a klystron or a travelling wave tube), sending energy into (usually digitally-controlled) phase shift modules, which then send energy into the various emitting elements in the front of the antenna.

The one below is a MMR 100%.

APG-77
APG-77-1A.jpg

AN/APG-70 multimode radar.
APG-70.jpg

LCA MMR
lca-mmr.jpg

in an AESA radar transmitter and receiver functions are composed of numerous small solid-state transmit/receive (T/R) modules.while a PESA has a central radiofrequency source (such as a magnetron, a klystron or a travelling wave tube), sending energy into (usually digitally-controlled) phase shift modules, which then send energy into the various emitting elements in the front of the antenna.

The one below is a MMR 100%.

APG-77
APG-77-1A.jpg

AN/APG-70 multimode radar.
APG-70.jpg

LCA MMR
lca-mmr.jpg

As always your posts are appreciated for its sheer entertainment value :smitten:. I am curious to know, why do you bring MMR into the discussion. Especially since TamilKhan did a great job at debunking your buddy's theory ...

Just to add further, the ES05 Raven AESA radar for future JAS-39 Grippen is also thought to have mechanical steering to get the maximum benefit out of the AESA technology by covering much area by the radar.

"To enlarge an AESA radar’s field of view, however, there are 2 basic approaches. One involves supplementary radar modules, configured to cover new areas but integrated into a common system. The other, which SELEX Galileo is already pursuing via the Gripen NG’s forthcoming “ES-05 Raven” radar, involves an AESA radar array coupled with mechanical scanning."

SELEX Prototyping A New AESA Radar for the UK

ES-05 Raven / Vixen 1000 AESA

vixen1000eaesaradarfrom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom