What's new

Can Turkey become a "Superpower"?

Does Turkey possess the potential of becoming a "Superpower"?

• Total voters
Lets check classic superpowers: USA and USA during the Cold War:

GNP
USA - #1
USSR - #2

Air Force
USA - #1
USSR - #2

Navy
USA - #1
USSR - #2

Army
USSR - #1
USA - #2

ICBM
USSR - #1
USA - #2

SSBN
USA - #1
USSR - #2

Strategic Bombers
USA - #1
USSR - #2

UN Security Council
USA - Check
USSR - Check

Space
USA - 1/2
USSR - 1/2

Aircraft Industries
USA - #1
USSR - #2

Where is Turkey here? Not even close to top 5 in any category and won't be in any near future. In many categories Turkey simply does not even exist. Currently Turkey in #18 in terms of GNP. Sorry, but that's not serious.

In Pakistan Defence Forum? Yes, Both Turkey and Pakistan are already superpowers.

But in reality, no. That's because Turkey might get military and economic supremacy in future through some magic but it will never be able to get the soft power that is a must to become a superpower.

:lol:

And here we have another indian embarrassing himself with this he got no idea about.

Turkey already has more 'soft power' (whatever that means) than many countries in the world. If I am not wrong, Turkey is the second largest exporter of culture (dramas/music/songs etc) after United States. Turkish dramas are exported to Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Arab World, and hell--one Turkish drama was even aired on Pakistani channels LOLs.

Secondly, 'soft power' means jack shit on international scale. Only hard military power matters (and big economy to sustain that for long periods of time).

Lastly, Turkey is better placed to be a great power than india is any day of the year. :lol:

As a medium/middle power, Turkey is far ahead than indian status as middle power. And oh, Turkey has already inferred in world conflicts more consequently than india ever has or probably ever will.

But yeah, continue with your "soft power" though :lol:

Muslim world is already too divided. I just don't see any country taking a leadership role between the Muslim countries.

At present, yes that is true. But commeth the hour, commeth the man. When the time comes for something nothing can stop it. The Muslim world needs leadership. It will come. It always has throughout our history and it will again. Muslims have been rising and declining for 1400 years. We have experience of this kind of disunity and chaos, but we also built over 20 terrestrial empires. That is a matter of historical record as well. We must not forget that the Turks have a longer history of serving and leading Muslims than almost anyone else if not anyone else. They are our natural leaders and they did a brilliant job.

And here we have another indian embarrassing himself with this he got no idea about.

Turkey already has more 'soft power' (whatever that means) than many countries in the world. If I am not wrong, Turkey is the second largest exporter of culture (dramas/music/songs etc) after United States. Turkish dramas are exported to Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Arab World, and hell--one Turkish drama was even aired on Pakistani channels LOLs.

Secondly, 'soft power' means jack shit on international scale. Only hard military power matters (and big economy to sustain that for long periods of time).

Lastly, Turkey is better placed to be a great power than india is any day of the year. :lol:

As a medium/middle power, Turkey is far ahead than indian status as middle power. And oh, Turkey has already inferred in world conflicts more consequently than india ever has or probably ever will.

But yeah, continue with your "soft power" though :lol:
Read the first line of my comment again :)

In Pakistan Defence Forum? Yes, Both Turkey and Pakistan are already superpowers.

But in reality, no. That's because Turkey might get military and economic supremacy in future through some magic but it will never be able to get the soft power that is a must to become a superpower.

turkey is not even a regional power nevermind it being likely to becoming a "superpower".

Some facts on the ground

1- turkey is by no means the strongest muslim nation.

2- turkey lacks any significant softpower. turkish military is heavily dependant on the outside and is greatly overhyped. The only relevance of turkey in world politics today is their support for terrorists in Syria and the fact they're currently (and who knows how long this will last) a member of NATO.

As for this laughable claim that turkey is going to unite muslim nations Minus some fanboys on the internet, no one takes turkey seriously enough to follow any recommendation by erdogan.
The only time you may see true Muslim union is if Iran and Saudi arabia sit down and decide together for such a thing by putting aside their differences. If you think the likes of Iran and Saudi arabia take turkey seriously enough to consider it even an initiator of such a thing then you're obviously living under a rock.

Read the first line of my comment :)

Read my first comment in this thread :)

(Hint: It stated how Turkey is not a superpower and can't be one. It's not even a great power but might become after decades of hardwork, planning, and luck as well).

But then again, you are just another indian got owned by facts and now you have no place to hide your embarrassment and hence one liners :lol:

super power............no
regional power ......yes

Superpower: No
Great Power: Might be
Regional power: Already is

super power............no
regional power ......yes

To be honest, it seems even a regional power is a long shot for them. Neither the Arabs or the Iranian would be willing to give these people much room to manoeuvre in the region.

Regional power: Already is

No, it is not. Regional power in what sense?

Turkey doesn t have 'dozens of frigates which can be considered destroyers'.It has 16 frigates situated between 3000-4100 tonnes which,by many standards are light frigates,and altough modernised,they are somewhat old Meko and Oliver Hazard models.
If you are getting your information from globalfirepower, then I can tell you that they are not updated.
Turkey has 27 frigates, and you're right about them not being destroyer class, I guess to be destroyer class they must surpass 7.000 tonnes. Turkish frigates are though not light frigates as you state. Additionally, Turkey has own indigenous ongoing frigate and submarine projects.

To be honest, it seems even a regional power is a long shot for them. Neither the Arabs or the Iranian would be willing to give these people much room to manoeuvre in the region.

No, it is not. Regional power in what sense?

Don't act as if you have even slightest of ideas about international relations

"room to maneuver in the region"....:cheesy: wow much knowledge, so correct..turkey weak.

Please kid, go troll somewhere.

In literally every compilation of 'regional powers'---you'd find Turkey listed...doesn't matter if it's Yale's yearly by their professors of International Relations, Friedman's book, or whatever.

But I bet you didn't even read a SINGLE contemporary scholar on international relations. You just go by your 'gut' feeling..

Please don't quote me again

Don't act as if you have even slightest of ideas about international relations

"room to maneuver in the region"....:cheesy: wow much knowledge, so correct..turkey weak.

Please kid, go troll somewhere.

In literally every compilation of 'regional powers'---you'd find Turkey listed...doesn't matter if it's Yale's yearly by their professors of International Relations, Friedman's book, or whatever.

But I bet you didn't even read a SINGLE contemporary scholar on international relations. You just go by your 'gut' feeling..

Please don't quote me again

It seems like you're a little turkish fanboy. Try putting together a proper argument instead of going on a 12 year old child rant.

There is zero evidence that turkey is a regional power. They have a very limited influence in the region. Even small Qatar has more influence.

U.S+Europe+gcc monarchies+Turkey wanted to topple pro-Iranian governments in Iraq and Syria.
IRAN didn't want.

and today is 2017.

There are 7 industrial and technological super powers today:

USA
China
Japan
Germany
Russia
France
UK

All other countries are not even close. India may join the club some day.

Great powers aren't measured by how many cool products can they make.

They are measured on one and only one thing: Power/Influence....in other words, their ability to fundamentally shape international system through their actions and exercise of their options (whether military, economic, or via political influence----or mix of all as is the case generally).

Saudi Arabia is a much more consequential great power than say a country like Britain. Hell, Iran is a bigger player globally with their increasing control of Iraq, Syria, influence in Lebanon, interference in Yemen etc than Britain.

Also, Turkey's industrial and technological base is much more sophisticated/better than india's in qualitative term. I don't see why Turkey can't become a great power...

It seems like you're a little turkish fanboy. Try putting together a proper argument instead of going on a 12 year old child rant.

There is zero evidence that turkey is a regional power. They have a very limited influence in the region. Even small Qatar has more influence.

Is Israel a regional power?

What 'influence' do they have outside their borders?

turkey is not even a regional power nevermind it being likely to becoming a "superpower".

Some facts on the ground

1- turkey is by no means the strongest muslim nation.

2- turkey lacks any significant softpower. turkish military is heavily dependant on the outside and is greatly overhyped. The only relevance of turkey in world politics today is their support for terrorists in Syria and the fact they're currently (and who knows how long this will last) a member of NATO.

As for this laughable claim that turkey is going to unite muslim nations Minus some fanboys on the internet, no one takes turkey seriously enough to follow any recommendation by erdogan.
The only time you may see true Muslim union is if Iran and Saudi arabia sit down and decide together for such a thing by putting aside their differences. If you think the likes of Iran and Saudi arabia take turkey seriously enough to consider it even an initiator of such a thing then you're obviously living under a rock.
Wow, that was some accumulated anger burst.. Phew..

Which Muslim country do you think is strongest? If you look anywhere from military personnel to navy to air force to land force Turkey will take the lead. If you look at all the ongoing indigenous military programmes, yet again, incomparably Turkey will take the lead (among Muslim countries).

I guess you are one of the people who only trolls on uasyrialive.com or something, your extreme thoughts and arguments that all Turkey did in Syria was supporting terrorists is as ignorant as an argument can get. I think you are an angry american because you have very little say in Syria, and you are the active supporters of PKK terrorists that are even in your list of terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom