What's new

Can a poor country be a great power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion India is the only country in the world that's showing the whole world that yes it CAN happen India is not a terribly rich country but it's rapidly emerging super power so yes a poor country can be a great power India has shown everyone an example

THOSE WORDS ARE LIKE HONEY IN MY EARS!!!SERIOUSLY IT IS NOT LIKE HOW FAST WE BUILD OUR MILITARY/AIR FORCE/NAVY.IT IS THE INFRASTRUCTURE,MANUFACTURING,PUBLIC HEALTH AND SCIENTIFIC STUDIES WILL DECIDE THAT WILL WE BE ABLE TO GRAB THE TOP SPOT OR NOT.RELATIONS WITH NEIGHBOR AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE NEIGHBOR WILL ALSO DECIDE THE SPEED OF OUR GROWTH.

There are different types of power. Military, Influence, Trade, Richness and so forth.

Look at Nigeria its a Regional Power and has great Influence in Africa, Yet roughly 50% live bleow the poverty line.

India has plenty of slums dispite it's richness, same goes for Brazil.

Pakistan is a Regional Power also. It has great influence in South Asia and the Arab World, as well has having a powerful military, but it has domestic problems and 40% of it's people are living in poverty.

i agree (except the "only country"), 10 years back population of India was considered as burden, these days its the biggest asset. we are young country (young democracy with a lot young people)

i cant understand why no one talk about soft power here, soft power is as good as military power. around the globe it matters (matters a lot actually)
what i have seen in US, Canada, Europe India's soft power is way ahead.

It's my major i go to a very good school. Second lack of reciprocity with other countrys and the growing trade dichotomy will stifle them there lack of resources outside of labor is terrifying the money printing and currency manipulation will turn the WTO against it.
I have a robust understanding of international markets. All the hot money flowing into there country are destroying there profit margin dispute there dollar peg

So this is the difference between an engineer and an "economist".

So just answer some questions: JAPAN also had no resources besides labor. They only crossed the 3000 USD/capita threshhold in 1972. Yet what would you say about Japan today? :lol:

China imports most of its resources. We have iron ore and oil just sitting in the ground and the government refuses to dig it up, instead we spend our FOREX to buy it. What's that mean? :lol:

India has far lower labor rates than we do. But due to their inefficient infrastructure and bureaucracy, they'd have to pay NEGATIVE wages to make a product there profitable. Labor is about 15% of the added value of a product. China's advantage is clearly not in labor.

Wake up, it's the 21st century. Robots already do most of the work anyways. What, you think in heavy industry, people can actually lift 10000 ton parts? Or people can make ICs by hand? Or even textiles are made by hand?

China is heavy on production of process products such as steel (40% of world production) and chemical fiber (60% of world production). Process engineering is all automatic. It isn't even possible to make it not automatic. Where's the labor in that? :lol: the labor cost is for engineers to design the system and technicians to keep it running, but mostly for management. That's it. I worked in a chemical plant before. Labor cost is not a constraint on process industries.

It doesn't matter what labor you have, other countries get sucked dry despite also having textile industries like China, only China's and otherly newly industrialized countries makes money. Textile industries in other countries import their chemical fiber because they lack the materials industry to support their textiles. In 2006, mainland China's textile industry was only 6% of exports, but was 5x as large as #2 Taiwan, 6x as large as #3 South Korea and #4 India. While textiles is seen as a "low wage" industry, in reality, its highly industrialized. It drove the industrial revolution 300 years ago, and its driving the same industrialization today. The machines needed for fiber and textile production are the constraints on production, not labor.

In the end, labor costs are nearly meaningless except for industries that are constrained by labor costs. These, however, are mostly service jobs that cannot be outsourced. Lowering costs for manufacturing are almost always due to capital investments into new machinery, especially for process industries that are fully automated.

Global-production.com - Textiles

So this is the difference between an engineer and an "economist".

So just answer some questions: JAPAN also had no resources besides labor. They only crossed the 3000 USD/capita threshhold in 1972. Yet what would you say about Japan today? :lol:

China imports most of its resources. We have iron ore and oil just sitting in the ground and the government refuses to dig it up, instead we spend our FOREX to buy it. What's that mean? :lol:

India has far lower labor rates than we do. But due to their inefficient infrastructure and bureaucracy, they'd have to pay NEGATIVE wages to make a product there profitable. Labor is about 15% of the added value of a product. China's advantage is clearly not in labor.

Wake up, it's the 21st century. Robots already do most of the work anyways. What, you think in heavy industry, people can actually lift 10000 ton parts? Or people can make ICs by hand? Or even textiles are made by hand?

China is heavy on production of process products such as steel (40% of world production) and chemical fiber (60% of world production). Process engineering is all automatic. It isn't even possible to make it not automatic. Where's the labor in that? :lol: the labor cost is for engineers to design the system and technicians to keep it running, but mostly for management. That's it. I worked in a chemical plant before. Labor cost is not a constraint on process industries.

It doesn't matter what labor you have, other countries get sucked dry despite also having textile industries like China, only China's and otherly newly industrialized countries makes money. Textile industries in other countries import their chemical fiber because they lack the materials industry to support their textiles. In 2006, mainland China's textile industry was only 6% of exports, but was 5x as large as #2 Taiwan, 6x as large as #3 South Korea and #4 India. While textiles is seen as a "low wage" industry, in reality, its highly industrialized. It drove the industrial revolution 300 years ago, and its driving the same industrialization today. The machines needed for fiber and textile production are the constraints on production, not labor.

In the end, labor costs are nearly meaningless except for industries that are constrained by labor costs. These, however, are mostly service jobs that cannot be outsourced. Lowering costs for manufacturing are almost always due to capital investments into new machinery, especially for process industries that are fully automated.

Global-production.com - Textiles
THE ADVANTAGE INDIA HAVE OVER CHINA IS THE LANGUAGE BARRIER THAT CHINA FACES.IN LONG TERM AND AFTER SOME YEARS IT WILL BECOME A DECIDING FACTOR IN THE RACE BETWEEN THE TWO ECONOMIES.

NEXT THING IS THAT MILITARY MIGHT ALONE CANT MAKE A COUNTRY SUPER POWER .FOR EG:- JAPAN A COUNTRY WITH A CAPABILITY TO DEFEAT THE AMERICANS LOST DUE THE INFERIOR MANUFACTURING SECTOR IN JAPAN. IF THEY HAD THE SAME AMOUNT OF TECHNOLOGICAL MIGHT, AMERICANS WOULD HAVE FIND IT VERY HARD TO DEFEAT THEM.

The superpower of the world is is and always will be.

Brazil is the second best country in position for growth and real growth. Not cn not in.

You notice it's diversity and drive I beleve single culture country are holding themselves back.
The world will stay focused on the Americas
All the resources and best position for world trade (Stratfor)

Your only needed now for cheap labor
Moores law will make human manufaturing obsolete but will require a higher caliber worker and not poor farmers.

India is in a better position because of there excellent i.t. And support.

There is no eternal superpower as history has proven again and again. The ancient Chinese dynasties, the Roman empire, the Mongol one, The empire where the sun never set and etc... all had their glorious days and are now in the quote "trash bin of history." I bet you that no one in the pinnacles of those superpowers can in imagine the downfall of such powerful entities, but they eventually did and as for your argument Great Britain was a democracy and had high caliber worker. If you mind to do a little research, you'll see that China has the fourth largest population advanced labour force (your so called "high caliber worker") after US, Japan, and Germany, and is by far the fastest growing of the top four. As for your IT argument, Chinese IT sector generates bigger revenue than that of India even though we employ less people india does for their IT sector and we dont boast about our IT sector.

Also, if your multi-ethnic argument stands true, you are basically ignoring the advances made by homogeneous Europe and Japan in modern history which I say is typical American arrogance. Open your eyes, the world is not what the USA wants it to be even though it is the most powerful country, it is still not powerful enough for world domination (albeit americans thinking/wishing it is).

THE ADVANTAGE INDIA HAVE OVER CHINA IS THE LANGUAGE BARRIER THAT CHINA FACES.IN LONG TERM AND AFTER SOME YEARS IT WILL BECOME A DECIDING FACTOR IN THE RACE BETWEEN THE TWO ECONOMIES.

NEXT THING IS THAT MILITARY MIGHT ALONE CANT MAKE A COUNTRY SUPER POWER .FOR EG:- JAPAN A COUNTRY WITH A CAPABILITY TO DEFEAT THE AMERICANS LOST DUE THE INFERIOR MANUFACTURING SECTOR IN JAPAN. IF THEY HAD THE SAME AMOUNT OF TECHNOLOGICAL MIGHT, AMERICANS WOULD HAVE FIND IT VERY HARD TO DEFEAT THEM.
Language barrier, just another reminder that indians worship their former colonizer. Just so you know, french was the official language for the league of nations, why, because french was much more accepted by Europeans at the time than English. Right now, english speaking countries are the most powerful, but if a non-english speaking country becomes the dominant power (say russia) then english is no longer a world language. Even as it is today, there is a thing called translator. Also, Japan never had completely tech advantage over US, only in some sectors and all those sectors are civilian which means that US is still by far the most advanced in military industry. If you google the plaza accord, you'll see how Japan submitted to USA due to their military and economical power. You also should keep in mind that there are US base in Japan.

i cant understand why no one talk about soft power here, soft power is as good as military power. around the globe it matters (matters a lot actually)
what i have seen in US, Canada, Europe India's soft power is way ahead.

care to elaborate? in terms of curry products in tessco surely indian is way ahead` :P

It's my major i go to a very good school. Second lack of reciprocity with other countrys and the growing trade dichotomy will stifle them there lack of resources outside of labor is terrifying the money printing and currency manipulation will turn the WTO against it.
I have a robust understanding of international markets. All the hot money flowing into there country are destroying there profit margin dispute there dollar peg
The only thing you major in is inability to properly form coherent sentences. China has secured its resources through deals with Africa, Central Asia as well as Russia. In addition, it is the biggest investor in renewable energy development. As far as currency manipulation goes, you should take a closer look at the American Federal Reserve. Pot calling the cattle black.

You "robust" mastery of stupidity is astonishing to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom