What's new

CAG picks holes in LCA project, says it fails to meet IAF

GORKHALI

Reaction score
Not only that, IAF would be "constrained" to induct the fighter LCA without availability of a trainer model, thereby "adversely impacting pilot training", the audit body said in a report tabled in Parliament.

The CAG noted that it was due to the delay in the manufacture and supply of LCA that IAF had to go for alternative temporary measures such as upgrading its MIG BIS, MiG-29, Jaguar, and Mirage aircraft at a cost of Rs 20,037 crore and revise the phasing out of MiG-21s.
ADVERTISING

Listing the shortcomings, the CAG said that the LCA Mark-I fails to meet the electronic warfare capabilities sought by IAF as the Self-Protection Jammer could not be fitted on the aircraft due to space constraints.

Also, it said that the Radar Warning Receiver/Counter Measure Dispensing System fitted on the aircraft had raised performance concerns which are yet to be overcome (January 2015).

The LCA Mark-I, which got Initial Operational Clearance in December, 2013, significantly falls short (20 permanent waivers/33 temporary concessions) in meeting the Air Staff Requirement (ASR), the CAG said, adding that that has led to reduced operational capabilities and survivability and, consequently, its operational employability.

It added that the shortcomings in the Mark-I (increased weight, reduced internal fuel capacity, non-compliance of fuel system protection, pilot protection from front, reduced speed) are expected to be overcome in the Mark-II model.

"LCA Mark-I does not meet the ASR. The deficiencies are now expected to be met in LCA Mark-II by December 2018," the CAG said.

While DRDO has always showcased LCA, christened Tejas, as an indigenously-developed aircraft and the indigenous content of the LCA was estimated by ADA to be 70 per cent, the CAG said it "actually worked out to about 35 per cent" as of January this year.

Systems such as Kaveri engine, Multi-Mode Radar, Radome, Multi-Functional Display System and Flight Control System Actuators taken up for indigenous development could not be developed successfully, resulting in LCA's continued dependence on the import of these systems, CAG said.

IAF had proposed in the early 1980s that a new aircraft be developed to replace the MiG-21 fleet,
manufactured during 1966 and 1987, after its phasing out in the 1990s.
CAG picks holes in LCA project, says it fails to meet IAF | Business Standard News

Before your troll ,Well let me tell you as an experienced person related to CAG report. This very much report is based on the finding which are found in the FY 2013 and its goes around till last quarter of FY 2014. So most of the findings are obsolete by now but many of issues are due to incapability of HAL and ADA.

Not only that, IAF would be "constrained" to induct the fighter LCA without availability of a trainer model, thereby "adversely impacting pilot training", the audit body said in a report tabled in Parliament.

The CAG noted that it was due to the delay in the manufacture and supply of LCA that IAF had to go for alternative temporary measures such as upgrading its MIG BIS, MiG-29, Jaguar, and Mirage aircraft at a cost of Rs 20,037 crore and revise the phasing out of MiG-21s.
ADVERTISING

Listing the shortcomings, the CAG said that the LCA Mark-I fails to meet the electronic warfare capabilities sought by IAF as the Self-Protection Jammer could not be fitted on the aircraft due to space constraints.

Also, it said that the Radar Warning Receiver/Counter Measure Dispensing System fitted on the aircraft had raised performance concerns which are yet to be overcome (January 2015).

The LCA Mark-I, which got Initial Operational Clearance in December, 2013, significantly falls short (20 permanent waivers/33 temporary concessions) in meeting the Air Staff Requirement (ASR), the CAG said, adding that that has led to reduced operational capabilities and survivability and, consequently, its operational employability.

It added that the shortcomings in the Mark-I (increased weight, reduced internal fuel capacity, non-compliance of fuel system protection, pilot protection from front, reduced speed) are expected to be overcome in the Mark-II model.

"LCA Mark-I does not meet the ASR. The deficiencies are now expected to be met in LCA Mark-II by December 2018," the CAG said.

While DRDO has always showcased LCA, christened Tejas, as an indigenously-developed aircraft and the indigenous content of the LCA was estimated by ADA to be 70 per cent, the CAG said it "actually worked out to about 35 per cent" as of January this year.

Systems such as Kaveri engine, Multi-Mode Radar, Radome, Multi-Functional Display System and Flight Control System Actuators taken up for indigenous development could not be developed successfully, resulting in LCA's continued dependence on the import of these systems, CAG said.

IAF had proposed in the early 1980s that a new aircraft be developed to replace the MiG-21 fleet,
CAG picks holes in LCA project, says it fails to meet IAF | Business Standard News

We all know about these short coming. Hence LCA Mkii project has been undertaken. There are so much room for improvements. Still a better fighter than mig 21. So must be inducted in numbers. Will play its role well in point defence.

LCA was supposed to be a Mig-21 replacement. As a Mig-21 replacement it is a good aircraft. But unfortunately Mig-21 lifespan in IAF is history now so thus LCA itself has no place in IAF.

Some of the emotional keyboard fanatics from Indian group fail to understand this simple logic and start whining whenever somebody criticises the LCA.

Will play its role well in point defence.

If LCA will be inducted then it will have to defend Indian airspace from PAF F-16 Blk 52 and PLAAF 5th gen aircraft J-20.

How many seconds will LCA last against these two?

Honestly no trolling

But i knew this
Pakistanis knew this
Pakistani military knew this
Indian military knew this

The only people who dont know this is indian fan boys

Best of luck for the Mark 2 which from the article looks to be ready by 2018

ADVERTISING

Now Indian members LCA has been insulted now defend it Please.

LCA was supposed to be a Mig-21 replacement. As a Mig-21 replacement it is a good aircraft. But unfortunately Mig-21 lifespan in IAF is history now so thus LCA itself has no place in IAF.

Some of the emotional keyboard fanatics from Indian group fail to understand this simple logic and start whining whenever somebody criticises the LCA.

If LCA will be inducted then it will have to defend Indian airspace from PAF F-16 Blk 52 and PLAAF 5th gen aircraft J-20.

How many seconds will LCA last against these two?
You know what dude putting Indian patriot username doesn't give you ultimate certificate or passport for being an Indian.It takes 15 sec to change flags.

CAG blames Army for delay in Arjun tanks’ induction
You were against this news .

Honestly no trolling

But i knew this
Pakistanis knew this
Pakistani military knew this
Indian military knew this

The only people who dont know this is indian fan boys

Best of luck for the Mark 2 which from the article looks to be ready by 2018
As I said no trolling .Still Can you tell me if Pakistan got anything closer to CAG like thing ?Which is above govt and directly works under supreme court .

Presentation3.jpg
What are you complaining about? You are a Pakistani and can get off easily by calling LCA a failure. Those sensible Indians who speak the truth are called false flaggers.
@waz can we throw this guys out out.

Now You know why.check out all his posts.

Last edited:

As an Indian who has called the LCA a POS I might sound like an unlikely guy who would defend LCA. But what I must say that the LCA was conceptualised in 1980s. It was intended to be a desi replacement for Mig-21s to reduce Indian dependency on foreign imports. As a Mig-21 replacement it is a superb product. Unfortunately it took 30 years longer than anticipated for LCA to take off to the skies. Thus today the LCA is a piece of Junk.

Technically speaking LCA did what it was supposed to do, be a replacement for Mig-21. Only problem is that Mig-21 is now obsolete.

@GORKHALI;

It is a recent news, unless you want to say your Media is more retard than it was previously thought of. Your words weight less than his. He is retarded journalist but still being paid for his retardants and you are just a patriotic fellow not paid of his patriotism.

CAG is like our retired old uncle with a big mustache who judges and scolds you very harshly irrespective of reasons or your feelings. You can't ague with him, because he have a file full of data.

Back
Top Bottom