What's new

Burning of Church in National Capital Delhi

Soulspeek

Reaction score
Country
India
Delhi church gutted, foul play suspected
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times New Delhi, December 02, 2014
With less than a month to go for Christmas, a prominent Catholic church in northeast Delhi’s Dilshad Garden was gutted in a major fire Monday morning, prompting allegations of arson and foul play.

The main hall of St Sebastian’s Church caught fire around 6.30am with the altar, statues, the holy Bible and the Cross reduced to ashes within minutes. The estimated losses were pegged at over Rs. 1 crore.

Church authorities alleged the fire was an attempt at triggering religious polarisation ahead of the Delhi polls, likely early next year.

Delhi Catholic Archdiocese spokesperson Savarimuthu Sankar told HT that three fire tenders reached the church an hour after flames broke out and police arrived only at 9am, by when the fire had been doused.

Community leaders also said kerosene was found in the attic, pointing at foul play. “The security guard took a breakfast break at 6am. When he returned 30 minutes later, he noticed thick smoke and informed Father Antony Francis, the pastor, who called the fire department,” said Sankar.

Delhi Archbishop Reverend Anil Couto has written to PM Narendra Modi and home minister Rajnath Singh, seeking a judicial probe into the fire.

The incident quickly took a political angle with several leaders offering their help. Congress leader Arvinder Singh, former Delhi minister Haroon Yusuf and Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal visited the spot and assured their support for a speedy probe and financial compensation. Local BJP MP Manoj Tiwari also visited the church and said he would raise this issue in Parliament.

Joint commissioner of police Sanjay Baniwal said a case of mischief by fire or explosive substance was registered. “We are waiting for the forensic science laboratory report to establish the exact cause of fire,” added Baniwal.

Hundreds of people later assembled outside the church and prayed for peace and communal harmony. They will hold a protest outside the Delhi police commissioner’s office on Tuesday.

Burnt remains of St. Sebastian Church
_79440684_79440679.jpg

St Sebastian Church before being burnt:
15898466306_24aa08ac53_z.jpg

Hundreds of Christians protesting:
10320255_950252011669698_6292837894400778599_n.jpg

Source:
Delhi church gutted, foul play suspected - Hindustan Times

BBC:
BBC News - India Christians protest over church fire
------------------------------------------
Desecrating and burning a place of worship just to incite communal violence. I am deeply appalled to see so much hatred in our society. Christians are one of the most peaceful communities in India along with Parsis, Jains etc.

St Sebastian Church, Dilshad Garden, Delhi will not be the first and only Church burned in India until we nab the culprits and nip this sick mentality in its bud.

LOL..Save your own Pakistani Christian brothers from extremists first..Then you can cry about Christians of India...
Let him be. :P
Glad nobody got hurt. It's not gutted, will be rebuilt in 3 months. Got word. :)

Also see the picture quoted by the Hindustan Times. It is not actually a crowd of 'Christians' at all. :D

Let him be. :P
Glad nobody got hurt. It's not gutted, will be rebuilt in 3 months. Got word. :)

Also see the picture quoted by the Hindustan Times. It is not actually a crowd of 'Christians' at all. :D

The Pictures I have posted are from actual site of demonstrations. I was there too.

The Pictures I have posted are from actual site of demonstrations. I was there too.
I don't know what Sardars, Hindus etc are doing. Maybe showing solidarity. In that case it goes against the two statements you added to the post in Italics. :coffee:

Why do you think this happened? :azn:

fullstory

A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to probe the incident of fire which gutted an east Delhi church, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said in the Lok Sabha today.

He said that a Joint Commissioner of Police in Delhi is heading the SIT, which has been asked to give its report within two months.
SIT has been setup.

Sad incident.... Easy way to make a community violent against another is to hurt their religious belief... Hope the SIT does their job swiftly and those responsible are punished....

Pakistan arrested all those in such activities talk about yourself why you are dragging Pakistan into this this thread is about India not Pakistan.
Because of your crocodile tears...
Indian Christians are living far more safer and prosperous in India than any other neighboring countries....
I am from a Christian family and haven't felt discrimination,fear or anything in my 24 years of life....

Back
Top Bottom