What's new

Building a nation - Sri Lanka

I don't know what you are on about?? What has the UK got to do with Sri Lanka??

What places did they vandalize? I'd like to know. Please cite some sources so I can see for myself.

All I've said is they should integrate into the society. I also believe this is a new phenomena started after the wave extremism created by Iran revolution.

This is one incident I've heard of. As the story goes, they wiped out an entire historical site. Just imagine Christians wiping out an ancient mosque in Pakistan. What would happen to them?

img_0802.jpg

This is one incident I've heard of. As the story goes, they wiped out an entire historical site. Just imagine Christians wiping out an ancient mosque in Pakistan. What would happen to them?

img_0802.jpg

Christians bomb Pakistani mosques all the time. Practically every week in fact.

Anyway that article is from 2005 and my Sinhala is not very good. I don't see any mention of Muslims and it doesn't explain the recent incidents. If Buddhists were angry with Muslims over this why wait 8 years to take revenge??

You should cite an English source from any of the half a dozen English dailies otherwise I am going to call bull on this.

Christians bomb Pakistani mosques all the time. Practically every week in fact.

Anyway that article is from 2005 and my Sinhala is not very good. I don't see any mention of Muslims and it doesn't explain the recent incidents. If Buddhists were angry with Muslims over this why wait 8 years to take revenge??

You should cite an English source from any of the half a dozen English dailies otherwise I am going to call bull on this.

Nobody's angry with anybody. This problem is created by segregation. As I've said Muslims tend to isolate themselves from the rest of the society and this creates a mistrust between two communities. Same goes with any country that has a Muslim population. Be it Australia, UK or USA. When something like this happen in Sri Lanka they are not popularized due to the fear of communal violence so it's hard to find sources. Oh another problem is fertility rate of Muslims is very very high.

Can you also give me source to prove your claim "Christians bomb Pakistani mosques"?

Nobody's angry with anybody. This problem is created by segregation. As I've said Muslims tend to isolate themselves from the rest of the society and this creates a mistrust between two communities. Same goes with any country that has a Muslim population. Be it Australia, UK or USA. When something like this happen in Sri Lanka they are not popularized due to the fear of communal violence so it's hard to find sources.

No this is completely untrue. As I said the Muslims of Sri Lanka have been living there for centuries. They are well integrated into society there. They are not foreigners or first gen Muslims like you see in the west.

You seem to think all Muslims are a homogenous group that you can demonize. That is western indoctrination at work.

Oh another problem is fertility rate of Muslims is very very high.

That is neither a problem nor a crime and definitely no reason for attacks against Muslims.

The fact that you can't backup your claims shows that they were complete falsehoods. Muslims never attacked any Buddhist sites in Sri Lanka and were innocent.

Can you also give me source to prove your claim "Christians bomb Pakistani mosques"?

Sure see this page:

Pakistan: Drone attack in Pakistan: 2005-2013

Search for mosque or madrassa. And this:

The day 69 children died – The Express Tribune

Yes, I exaggerated about the "every week" part. US Christian attacks on mosques and seminaries are not as frequent. But we get drone attacks multiple times a week. Just today for instance:

Drone strike kills 6 in North Waziristan – The Express Tribune

No this is completely untrue. As I said the Muslims of Sri Lanka have been living there for centuries. They are well integrated into society there. They are not foreigners or first gen Muslims like you see in the west.

You seem to think all Muslims are a homogenous group that you can demonize. That is western indoctrination at work.

That is neither a problem nor a crime and definitely no reason for attacks against Muslims.

The fact that you can't backup your claims shows that they were complete falsehoods. Muslims never attacked any Buddhist sites in Sri Lanka and were innocent.

Sure see this page:

Pakistan: Drone attack in Pakistan: 2005-2013

Search for mosque or madrassa. And this:

The day 69 children died – The Express Tribune

Yes, I exaggerated about the "every week" part. US Christian attacks on mosques and seminaries are not as frequent. But we get drone attacks multiple times a week. Just today for instance:

Drone strike kills 6 in North Waziristan – The Express Tribune

Muslim culture that's being practiced today is completely alien to the society (one example is Niqab). Before 1980s Muslims were integrated into the society perfectly but why can't they live like that now? It's all created by this wave of extremism started by Iran revolution.

Fertility rate is not a crime I agree. Then there should be some rules about the number of babies a family can produce. It's the job of the government to do that. I recommend reading this article.

The Wahhabi Invasion of Sri Lanka :: Center for Islamic Pluralism

You did a very cheap thing there. I said Pakistani Christians not Americans. Americans have no love for Christians. See what they are doing in Syria? One important thing, Bodhgaya was bombed recently by Muslim extremists, it was known as the Buddhist Mecca. Did you see any reaction by Buddhists around world?

Muslim culture that's being practiced today is completely alien to the society (one example is Niqab). Before 1980s Muslims were integrated into the society perfectly but why can't they live like that now? It's all created by this wave of extremism started by Iran revolution.

Niqab has been around since the beginning of Islam. It is not new. And anyway most Muslim women in Sri Lanka don't wear that. But again wearing or not wearing niqab is not a crime. Freedom of dress and religion is very important. Isn't freedom something you guys go on about in the west??

You did a very cheap thing there. I said Pakistani Christians not Americans. Americans have no love for Christians. See what they are doing in Syria? One important thing, Bodhgaya was bombed recently by Muslim extremists, it was known as the Buddhist Mecca. Did you see any reaction by Buddhists around world?

Not interested in reading that article. You read it!

No you said Christians. Refer to your post above if you don't believe me. If you meant something other than what you wrote then how am I to know? I can't read your mind!

Anyway it is funny that you don't like my treating all Christians as one group but you do the same for all Muslims around the world!

In addition to the incidents in Sri Lanka you have the genocide of Muslims that is taking place in Myanmar. The primary instigators are Buddhist monks. Just google Rohingya and you'll see what I mean.

Niqab has been around since the beginning of Islam. It is not new. And anyway most Muslim women in Sri Lanka don't wear that. But again wearing or not wearing niqab is not a crime. Freedom of dress and religion is very important. Isn't freedom something you guys go on about in the west??

Not interested in reading that article. You read it!

No you said Christians. Refer to your post above if you don't believe me. If you meant something other than what you wrote then how am I to know? I can't read your mind!

Anyway it is funny that you don't like my treating all Christians as one group but you do the same for all Muslims around the world!

In addition to the incidents in Sri Lanka you have the genocide of Muslims that is taking place in Myanmar. The primary instigators are Buddhist monks. Just google Rohingya and you'll see what I mean.

Then allow women to wear a bikini in Pakistan shall we?

Calm down guys, Sri Lanka is multicultural and has been for centuries. If a multicultural nation is the most advanced in human development in the subcontinent, something must be working.

My Buddhist uncle in Colombo leaves his house keys with his Muslim neighbour when he's out of town. Why? Because that's how this country works.

There is no problem between Sinhalese and Muslims..One isolated attack by an extremist doesn`t mean whole Sinhalese race is against Muslims..Bodu Bala sena is racist organisation and they hardly represent at least 1% of Sinhalese.Even UK has EDL which is far more worse but just that international media stir up and exaggerate what happens in SL..Having said that Muslims in SL are lot more open minded unlike middle easterners and ones from radical muslim countries but certain people want SL muslims too to be extremists !

I am sure most Sri Lankan muslims will select SL over pakistan or afganistan if they were given a chance to choose a place to live..

This is great to see. I used to live in Sri Lanka and the war cast a huge shadow over the economy. I guess the end of the war has freed up a lot of funds for development.

But there are a lot of negative stories coming out of Sri Lanka too regarding attacks against Muslims. Why is that happening? Haven't you learned from the previous war that this sort of thing needs to end?

muslims in SL have lot more freedom than buddhists in muslim countries mate..there is no problem between muslims and Sinhalese..come to SL and see

muslims in SL have lot more freedom than buddhists in muslim countries mate..there is no problem between muslims and Sinhalese..come to SL and see

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...uilding-nation-sri-lanka-3.html#ixzz2gNW8QUtL

exactly.

Btw, I want to thank the OP for starting a positive thread for once in this forum.

To other Sri Lankan posters. In terms of development, how are social indicators coming along?

Like gender equality, healthcare, education etc?

I love our expressway network project, all the island covered by 8 or 9 expressway projects. Government should give priority to other expressway projects too.
:D there are many areas gov should give priority in this country. Expressways are the last of them.
Despite all of the development going on, I don't know why our people hate the government so much :D
Since you don’t understand, let me explain!
1. Yako parawal hamathanama haduwa kiala, me rate minissunta rassawal athiwela na. me rate factory keeyak me anduwa ariyada? Mokakda patan gatta industry eka? Ape finance policies gon booruwone hadanne. Api mona haduwath thanikara waradi finance policies hinda passata yanawa.
2. Me rate samanya manussayekta anagathayak hadaganna nam rata yanna oni. Lankawe hitiyoth anagathayak thie kiala minissu (rate wenne monada kiala awabodayak thiena) hithanne ne.
3. Education sector eka anthimai. Universities gattath School education gattath pallehata yanawa. Hari policies genalla ape school system eka diunu karanne na. e madiwata anduwe wada walin eka pirihenawa. Meka wenas kale nattam issarahata lankawe education level eka pallehata yawi.
4. Central bank eka anthimai. Inne mahindayage wandi battayo. Dan inne kisima hari experience ekak nathi, Honda economy knowledge ekak nathi gonnu ralak. Unwa dammeth mahindaya ma thamai. Un rate arthikaya kanawa.
a. Dannawada me langadi CIFL eke depositors lata wechcha de? Ceylinco, Pramukha eke depositors la ta wechcha de. Thanikara Central bank (ha gov) eke wada hindai……
b. Dannawada Mahindayage ewun dala Sri Lanka cricket eka kala kiala? Dannawada ara amu thakkadi hora Nishanthaya eke salli walata sevala pera pera hondata hamba karana witthiya?
c. Me rate cost of living gana poddak hoyala balahan. Me rate manussayek baduwak ganna degunayakata kittu ganak GEWANA. Api cost of living gattama south asia walinma NARAKA thanaka inne. Minihekta jeewath wenna bari, hariyata business ekak karanna ba.
5. Yako thana thana airport, gorunds haduwa kiala ratak nagganna ba. E rate nishpadithaya ihala danna oni. Anduwa monada karanne????????????????eetath wada hondata duwapu Sevanagala Sugar wage industries anduwata gatta neda?
6. Aha arala balapan yako mun Sri Lankan air lines kana hati……mun gatta wele indan ma LOSS. Balahan Mihin air line wada karana hati. Patan gatta da indala LOSS. Awuru ganak thisse LOSS. Mewa pawathwaganna yanne me rate duppath minissunge salli neda gono?
7. Kuddo rajawela. Negombo gattath, Colombo gattath anduwe marayo politicians neda inna kudu businesskarayo. Unwa raka ganne anduwa ne. Ape kollo winasa karala rate anagathaya winasa karanne mahindaya neda? Ai unta udaw karanne?
8. Mervyn silva wage ballanta udata mathuwenna deela lankawa loke issaraha lajja karanne Mahindaya neda? Wade kianne uge gon kam utama therenne nathi eka.
9. BBS wage unta udata enna deela dan puka iragena dagalanne anduwa neda?
10. Thapusela news ehema baluwada? UN eke mun inne dan puka iragena. Munge wada hindama. Rata dekata kadena eka nattam ape yuda jayagrahanaya anith paththata yama pawa munge gonkam nisa wenna puluwan deyak wela.
Me anduwata minissu baninne ai kiala umbata therenne nathi eka ganai mata thiena duka.

Agreed but criticizing it for everything is a bit silly. Some people just criticize every major project, be it an airport, a housing project, an expressway etc. People should drop their political affiliations for the greater benefit of the country.
Senaga nathi air port, minissu pavichchi nokarana expressways haduwa kiala ratak hadanna ba. Ratak hadanna e rate minissu hadenna oni. Minissu hadenne na rate. Deshapaluwo n unge gobba puthala hadenawa misak. Danaganin mehema giyoth mahindaya yanne RATAMA KALA WINASA KARALA.

I completely agree! We have one of the least corrupt governments in South Asia.

The government seems to genuinely care about the advancement of the nation and most importantly is proving this with action not just words.

Because of good governance, Colombo and the Western Province (also Gampaha) could be mistaken for any random province/town in the Western world within 10-15 years at the most.
It's a Government report on the environmental impact of the New Kelani bridge that they're building with forethought for all the new traffic that is going to happen.

New traffic brought in by the huge expressways project they're also building, and from the more powerful economy.

It shows they're making decisions not just on what looks good, but what is financially suitable for the country, and the environment, and is a wise investment in our future.

Least corrupt? :D please tell me you are kidding.........I cant believe there are ppl in my country who are so unattached to reality!

Either you havent been to west or havent seen colombo and gampaha........:)

siyalu jathin ekata ekathu karagena hadanna kalin minissunta kanna bonna thiyanna one. minissu badaginne marenawanam siyalu jathin ekata ekathu unata kisima therumak na ne? dan kawuda sinhala jathiwadin? Mahinda Rajapakshada?
Ithin umba baluwada minissunta kanna bonna thienawa da kiala? Umba baluwada dan rate minissunge arthike Honda da kiala? Gihin balahan rate duppath minissu jeewath wenne kohomada kiala! Middle class ewuntath dan salli prashne danenna aran.
Minissu kana bona hati…..aney palayan yanna……..
Mekane ban ehema jathin ekathu keruwe nattam badaginnata kalin un marenne mini maragena ne.
Anika api nikan multi cultural ratakuth nemei ne, api ta awurudu 30ka yuddekuth thibba. Ehema rataka jathin ekathu kirima awashyai.
Mahindaya jathiwadee kiala mama kianne na. mama kianne mans awasthawadee kiala witharay. E witharak nemei awasthawadee modayek.

Umbala gana dukath hithenawa. Kochchara balaporottuwen da inne. Eth atta therum ganna umbalata mole pahala wenna kiala prarthana karanawa echcharai!

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...uilding-nation-sri-lanka-3.html#ixzz2gNW8QUtL

exactly.

Btw, I want to thank the OP for starting a positive thread for once in this forum.

To other Sri Lankan posters. In terms of development, how are social indicators coming along?

Like gender equality, healthcare, education etc?

No problem!

Gender Equality
Sri Lanka has a Gender Inequality Index (GII) value of 0.402, ranking it the most gender-equal nation in South Asia.
There are 0.96 males per female in Sri Lanka, meaning female abortion is practically non-existent.
Sri Lanka was the first nation in the world to elect a female Prime Minister.

Healthcare
Sri Lanka has free universal healthcare to all residents of the nation, with a system similar to the UK's NHS.
Sri Lanka has a life expectancy of 75 years, roughly on par with developed nations and higher than Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Ukraine, Serbia and Russia

Education
Sri Lanka provides free primary and secondary education. It has enrolment rates of ~100%.
Sri Lanka has literacy rates of 93% for males and 90% for females.
Sri Lanka is one of the only countries with free university education for those that qualify. Large amounts of resources are devoted to increasing the intake yearly. If candidates are unable to qualify many courses are available from private universities.
Mean years of schooling(average amount of time spent in education) is 9.3 years in Sri Lanka. For reference it is 4.9 in Pakistan, 7.3 in China and 4.4 in India.

Human Development
Sri Lanka has reached a ranking of 'High' Human Development (HDI=0.715, an increase of 0.010) that it now shares with Brazil and Russia. It is the only 'High' development country in South Asia.

It is the highest ranking attained by any South Asian nation to date, and it places people living in Sri Lanka in the top 30% of living standards attained worldwide, by population. 70% of everyone else in the world is worse off on average.

Income and Economy
Sri Lanka's GDP per capita is PPP$6,135, again the highest national average in South Asia. Colombo, home to the largest urban population has a GDP per capita of PPP$12,000.
Sri Lanka's GDP growth rate is among the highest in the region, with 8.02% in 2010, 8.25% in 2011 and 6.41% in 2012.
Sri Lanka is one of the only countries in the region to have a single-digit inflation rate under 7% in the region for the last 4-5 years.

Hope this helps!

What are the challenges still facing Sri Lanka?

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom