What's new

Building a nation - Sri Lanka

Despite all of the development going on, I don't know why our people hate the government so much :D

Despite all of the development going on, I don't know why our people hate the government so much :D

I don't think they hate the Government, they just put out stupid policies sometimes! It's a good thing, people willing to criticise their Government is important in democracy.

Building the physical infrastructure is the first step to becoming a developed country. Next we must invest in science and technology, education, research and innovation.

And for that we need the Government, but they aren't doing much research funding at the moment.

I don't think they hate the Government, they just put out stupid policies sometimes! It's a good thing, people willing to criticise their Government is important in democracy.

Building the physical infrastructure is the first step to becoming a developed country. Next we must invest in science and technology, education, research and innovation.

And for that we need the Government, but they aren't doing much research funding at the moment.

Agreed but criticizing it for everything is a bit silly. Some people just criticize every major project, be it an airport, a housing project, an expressway etc. People should drop their political affiliations for the greater benefit of the country.

Agreed but criticizing it for everything is a bit silly. Some people just criticize every major project, be it an airport, a housing project, an expressway etc. People should drop their political affiliations for the greater benefit of the country.

I completely agree! We have one of the least corrupt governments in South Asia.

The government seems to genuinely care about the advancement of the nation and most importantly is proving this with action not just words.

Because of good governance, Colombo and the Western Province (also Gampaha) could be mistaken for any random province/town in the Western world within 10-15 years at the most.

Here's a small example: http://www.rda.gov.lk/supported/noticeboard/publications/jica/eng_EIA_REPORT.pdf

It's a Government report on the environmental impact of the New Kelani bridge that they're building with forethought for all the new traffic that is going to happen.

New traffic brought in by the huge expressways project they're also building, and from the more powerful economy.

It shows they're making decisions not just on what looks good, but what is financially suitable for the country, and the environment, and is a wise investment in our future.

"The main land based transport system of Sri Lanka is the road network. It occupies 98% of goods and 92% of commuter transport. Development of transport infrastructure is a major Government Policy. The existing New Kelani Bridge situated at the Colombo North is a strategic point in the Colombo City transport network. Colombo Katunayaka Expressway (CKE) Project is near completion, which will increase the traffic flow towards Colombo creating additional burden to the economy. Especially it is anticipated that the traffic flow into the Colombo city through CKE will be increased."

@NGV-H,
great nation hadanna puluwan wenne, siyalu jathinta siyalu argamikayanta ekata ekathuwenna puluwan anannya thawayak haduwoth witharai. sinhala jathiwadinta kade gihin eka karanna ba.

hama thanama concrete godawal hadanawa kianne great nation hadillak nemei. rata neethiya, arthikaya goda nagala, horun borukarayin wa deshapalanen elawala, mini maruwanta danduwam dena, rate minissu nta bayak sakak nathiwa inna puluwan ratak hadana ekai, great nation hadanawa kianne.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NGV-H,
great nation hadanna puluwan wenne, siyalu jathinta siyalu argamikayanta ekata ekathuwenna puluwan anannya thawayak haduwoth witharai. sinhala jathiwadinta kade gihin eka karanna ba.

hama thanama concrete godawal hadanawa kianne great nation hadillak nemei. rata neethiya, arthikaya goda nagala, horun borukarayin wa deshapalanen elawala, mini maruwanta danduwam dena, rate minissu nta bayak sakak nathiwa inna puluwan ratak hadana ekai, great nation hadanawa kianne.

siyalu jathin ekata ekathu karagena hadanna kalin minissunta kanna bonna thiyanna one. minissu badaginne marenawanam siyalu jathin ekata ekathu unata kisima therumak na ne? dan kawuda sinhala jathiwadin? Mahinda Rajapakshada?

Last edited by a moderator:
siyalu jathin ekata ekathu karagena hadanna kalin minissunta kanna bonna thiyanna one. minissu badaginne marenawanam siyalu jathin ekata ekathu unata kisima therumak na ne? dan kawuda sinhala jathiwadin? Mahinda Rajapakshada?

spot on kolla....... :sniper:

++++++

This is great to see. I used to live in Sri Lanka and the war cast a huge shadow over the economy. I guess the end of the war has freed up a lot of funds for development.

But there are a lot of negative stories coming out of Sri Lanka too regarding attacks against Muslims. Why is that happening? Haven't you learned from the previous war that this sort of thing needs to end?

This is great to see. I used to live in Sri Lanka and the war cast a huge shadow over the economy. I guess the end of the war has freed up a lot of funds for development.

But there are a lot of negative stories coming out of Sri Lanka too regarding attacks against Muslims. Why is that happening? Haven't you learned from the previous war that this sort of thing needs to end?

Buddy no offence. About the Muslim problem, I think the biggest reason inability of Muslims to adjust into local cultures. Christianity has a nearly 2000 years of history in Sri Lanka and never had a problem of coexisting. Muslims deeply segregate themselves from the majority in most of the countries, I don't think I have to provide evidence, you know what I am talking about. When they isolate from the society, high level of mistrust against Muslims develops among rest of the society.

Most importantly those attacks are very rare. Also many of the Buddhist extremists were arrested.

Buddy no offence. About the Muslim problem, I think the biggest reason inability of Muslims to adjust into local cultures. Christianity has a nearly 2000 years of history in Sri Lanka and never had a problem of coexisting. Muslims deeply segregate themselves from the majority in most of the countries, I don't think I have to provide evidence, you know what I am talking about. When they isolate from the society, high level of mistrust against Muslims develops among rest of the society.

Most importantly those attacks are very rare. Also many of the Buddhist extremists were arrested.

You've been living in the UK too long! Sri Lankan Muslims are not British Muslims.

Muslims have been living in Sri Lanka for centuries. They don't have to adjust to the local culture because it is their own culture! They were born into it. Their parents and parent's parents were born into it. They are very well integrated in Sri Lankan society and are a sort of bridge community between the Tamils and the Sinhalese. That is because they speak both Sinhala and Tamil languages.

Also I don't see how you can get off blaming the victims! It is the Buddhist extremists who attacked the Muslims. The Muslims have not attacked anyone.

You've been living in the UK too long! Sri Lankan Muslims are not British Muslims.

Muslims have been living in Sri Lanka for centuries. They don't have to adjust to the local culture because it is their own culture! They were born into it. Their parents and parent's parents were born into it. They are very well integrated in Sri Lankan society and are a sort of bridge community between the Tamils and the Sinhalese. That is because they speak both Sinhala and Tamil languages.

Also I don't see how you can get off blaming the victims! It is the Buddhist extremists who attacked the Muslims. The Muslims have not attacked anyone.

Of course I live in UK and I never wear national costume here. I don't practice a bit of my culture in this country. If I do I would also get rejected and I know it. You can't go to Siberia in winter and wear just a t-shirt. If you do, you would die. Can you wear a bikini in Pakistan? It's the same in our country. We have a culture and we also don't like anyone to disrespect it.

They are not entirely victims. They vandalized some historical places. This was the reply they got and why would I support Buddhist extremists? I am Christian myself and I don't want to dig my own grave. It's your own Muslim brothers that are increasing the popularity of Buddhist extremists by their lunatic actions and they make our lives insecure too. They should learn how to coexist instead of dominating.

Of course I live in UK and I never wear national costume here. I don't practice a bit of culture in this country. If I do I would also get rejected and I know it. You can't go to Siberia in winter and wear a t-shirt. If you do, you would die. Can you wear a bikini in Pakistan? It's the same in our country. We have a culture and we also don't like anyone to disrespect it.

I don't know what you are on about?? What has the UK got to do with Sri Lanka??

They are not entirely victims. They vandalized some historical places. This was the reply they got and why would I support Buddhist extremists? I am Christian myself and I don't want to dig my own grave. It's your own Muslim brothers that are increasing the popularity of Buddhist extremists by their lunatic actions.

What places did they vandalize? I'd like to know. Please cite some sources so I can see for myself.

Back
Top Bottom