What's new

British MPs criticise UK aid to Pakistan, PM May defends programme: media reports

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
21 MINS AGO BY NEWS DESK
PAK-UK-flag-400-1-300x201.jpg

British parliamentarians flayed the United Kingdom government for spending its taxpayers’ money on aid for Pakistan, London’s Daily Mail reported on Tuesday.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May, however, defended both the programme and the foreign aid budget.

As much as £300 million of the UK aid budget is being spent to fund the Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP) in Pakistan, a scheme that has been “dogged by claims of corruption”, the news website stated.

UK’s support to BISP helped over 235,000 families across the country in 2012, which could increase to 441,000 families by 2020, The Daily Mail further reported.

The revelations prompted conservatives who demanded the British government to cancel its “commitment to spend 0.7 per cent of UK’s national income on foreign aid”.

According to The Daily Mail, Nigel Evans, the conservative Tory Party MP who sits on the Commons’ International Development Committee, demanded an investigation into the cash handouts.

The website quoted Evans as saying: “Normally this sort of aid is only given in a crisis or emergency when it is the only way to give help.

“It only should be a temporary measure, but it seems like we’re exporting the dole to Pakistan, which is clearly not a clever idea.”

He said the cash transfers were “clearly open to fraud”, calling on the International Development Secretary Priti Patel to urgently examine the process “to ensure that there is proper accounting for how this money is being delivered”.

Theresa May defends funding BISP

Theresa May, however, strongly defended both the programme and the foreign aid budget, The Independent reported Tuesday.

May said British taxpayer-funded foreign aid to Pakistan’s income support programme will continue because it helps “those who need it most”, the online newspaper quoted the UK prime minister as saying.

It further added that Downing Street “refused to order a review” after Evans and The Daily Mail bashed the programme, hinting at the “fierce attacks” from conservatives to reduce domestic spending cuts.

A spokeswoman for the PM told a Westminster briefing on Tuesday that there were “robust systems in place” to protect UK’s “aid investments” and ensure the funds for BISP are not “exploited for fraud and corruption”.

“One of the things that is being introduced at the moment is making sure there are more bio-metric payment systems to make it one of the most secure programmes in the world,” the spokeswoman said.

The Independent reported that government officials believe offering cash directly to the programme’s beneficiaries removes the middlemen from the process, thereby “reducing the risk of fraud”, adding that only the recipients can best prioritise their needs such as food, rent, education or medicine and spend the money accordingly.

May’s spokeswoman said, “In the last four years cash transfers supported by UK aid have helped almost nine million of the world’s poorest people to buy food, medicine, and clean water.”

“These are cash transfers that are focused on making sure that aid is targeted at those who need it, when they need it,” she said.

“The effectiveness of such transfer schemes has been recognised by the Public Accounts Committee and the National Audit Office who have spoken about the clear, immediate benefits of this system.

“We would only pursue such an option where we were clear that results had already been achieved and verified. So, for example in the case of Pakistan, the programme there, we are providing a small contribution to a much bigger programme run by the government of Pakistan, where there are already proven results,” she maintained.

Further reiterating UK’s support for the aid budget and rejecting criticism, May’s spokeswoman said, “The prime minister has made it clear that our aid budget is an investment in our security and national interest, and that it is right to honour the commitments that we have made.”

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...istan-pm-may-defends-programme-media-reports/

it is biased against aid but it does bring something important up though

are the true people who needing the aid actually getting it and all of it, and not through a middle man.

are the true people who needing the aid actually getting it and all of it, and not through a middle man.

It is largely skimmed of by the middle men. And the people needing it get pennies on the dollar. The concerns are genuine and valid.

the benazir income support has huge corruption in it! to the point where the person in charge did;
Take-the-money-and-run.jpg

supposed funds for the poor other than publicity never got to the people who needed it most!

It is largely skimmed of by the middle men. And the people needing it get pennies on the dollar. The concerns are genuine and valid.
so yeah it does need to be investigated. one should go there and ask how much they get.
its a shame the fat greedy b@stards get more money then the thin needy ones. welcome to pakistan. thats why i did not give money during the 2005 flooding and 2010 earthquakes i gave it to a person going there to do the work them selfs.

mind you the ppp and the current government are as bad as each other, it just the latter is smarter than the former.

what about the pti ? are they just as bad.

Most of the funds in many of these programs are siphoned off by people who are not deserving. For example a relatively well connected PPP(People's Party) lap dog during their last government could easily be "eligible" for the Benazir Income support not based on his/her financial condition but rather the connections and loyalty.

Another reason I find Benzair Income fund to be questionable is that the average person who is not well aware and gets this fund starts to see PPP in a positive light bcuz it is named after Benazir Bhutto. As if they are the ones who truly care. In reality it is mostly foreign countries that are the lifeline of this fund.

Although I feel that people around the world who are in dire need should be helped but I think countries like UK/US and others should stop this. The main reason is that it doesnt really reach the deserving ppl as much and doesn't make as much of an impact as intended. Those funds could be spent better if let's say they are given to a trustworthy Non-Profit organization to buy land and build housing in a developing country for the deserving ppl...or something similar that is not cold hard cash but rather a "thing" like housing, education, or a job, etc.

Most of the funds in many of these programs are siphoned off by people who are not deserving. For example a relatively well connected PPP(People's Party) lap dog during their last government could easily be "eligible" for the Benazir Income support not based on his/her financial condition but rather the connections and loyalty.

Another reason I find Benzair Income fund to be questionable is that the average person who is not well aware and gets this fund starts to see PPP in a positive light bcuz it is named after Benazir Bhutto. As if they are the ones who truly care. In reality it is mostly foreign countries that are the lifeline of this fund.

Although I feel that people around the world who are in dire need should be helped but I think countries like UK/US and others should stop this. The main reason is that it doesnt really reach the deserving ppl as much and doesn't make as much of an impact as intended. Those funds could be spent better if let's say they are given to a trustworthy Non-Profit organization to buy land and build housing in a developing country for the deserving ppl...or something similar that is not cold hard cash but rather a "thing" like housing, education, or a job, etc.
so the ppp get the money and give it to the needy?

so the ppp get the money and give it to the needy?
It's rather a government program so not PPP(unless they are the ruling party) but the government gets the funds that are then given out to those who "qualify". In there lies the problem, the ones who qualify are mostly undeserving ppl that cheated the system with bribes/influence/personal relations.

It's rather a government program so not PPP(unless they are the ruling party) but the government gets the funds that are then given out to those who "qualify". In there lies the problem, the ones who qualify are mostly undeserving ppl that cheated the system with bribes/influence/personal relations.
ah ok got it.

Favourable Trade deals not AID helps a country develop/reduce poverty. Aid/hand-out only perpetuates and encourages corruption/status quo . I thought that the massive AID given to Sub Saharan African/South Asian countries these past decades would have taught our leaders this lesson by now.:tsk:

Last edited:
BISP is a misguided, unimaginative bureaucratic programme that lacks any semblance of direction or vision.

Mere cash transfers serve to make people dependent on the state and do not resolve their actual problems. GoP should be injecting money into charities, non-profits, social planning services, etc. so they can reach out to people who are in need and design targeted programmes to help them break the cycle in that region or environment.

GoP should focus on Unemployment Benefits programme and Social Insurance system for people who work and pay their taxes so they are eligible for benefits if they lose their job. This will bring more people into the tax net and allow Pakistan to grow its tax coffers.

Last edited:
Favourable Trade deals not AID helps a country develop/reduce poverty. Aid/hand-out only perpetuates and encourages corruption/status quo . I thought that the massive AID given to Sub Saharan African/South Asian countries these past decades would have taught our leaders this lesson by now.:tsk:
Below comment comes to you before I get banned for absolutely no reason by the mods here, the moment I make any comment. Oddly, they give no reason or even cite any post they felt deserved a ban. My honesty is a bit of a thorn to the propagandist here :lol:

Christians are generous people towards poor and needy :angel:

Below comment comes to you before I get banned for absolutely no reason by the mods here, the moment I make any comment. Oddly, they give no reason or even cite any post they felt deserved a ban. My honesty is a bit of a thorn to the propagandist here :lol:

Christians are generous people towards poor and needy :angel:
Lol

Well, as they say teach people how to fish instead of giving them fish. Our leaders or even people might have good intentions by giving these poor countries aid and volunteering in these countries. However they need to adopt the best policies to aid this countries, of which handouts and aid has proven to be an impediment to growth/reducing poverty . Especially when we know how officials in these poor countries are greedy, corrupt and have no regard/respect towards their own people (they will rather eat all the aid money with their familly and emigrate.lol). What I have noticed travelling in many developing countries around the world, is how officials and authorities in these countries have so little regard in developing their country and helping their community/country grow together. ALMOST every official thinks about themselves and their familly and that's it. The system itself needs a real revolution/complete overhaul.

So we ought to change this "aid" madness. Insanity is doing the same thing time and time again and expecting different results.

Last edited:
Lol

Well, as they say teach people how to fish instead of giving them fish. Our leaders or even people might have good intentions by giving these poor countries aid and volunteering in these countries. However they need to adopt the best policies to aid this countries, of which handouts and aid has proven to be an impediment to growth/reducing poverty . Especially when we know how officials in these poor countries are heavily greedy, corrupt and have no regard towards their own people (they will rather eat all the aid money with their familly and emigrate.lol).

Insanity is doing the same thing time and time again and expecting different results.

Although I agree with your points but some aid is given to wield influence over such country. Its not all for charity. Nothing is for free. :D

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom