What's new

British Bangladeshis are doing astonishingly well at school

They can't be making such a bold statement based on a single graph comparing GCSE results of one of the lowest achieving ethnic groups? lmao, Actually British Bangladeshi fall behind even White Brits in the % of students achieving 3 or more A grades at A-level, or overall A-level points. University rates are higher for British Bangladeshi than white British (they are again, among the lowest). But British Bangladeshi achieve far less 1st and 2:1 grades than most of their counterparts whilst at Universities. Am I supposed to be proud of this?

Then again British Bangladeshis suffer greatly from the Dunning-Kruger syndrome so not surprised. Overstating one's competency/achievements based on such little achievements. How else can one describe doing slightly better than British whites and Pakistanis as "extremely well"? Their standards are so damn low. Especially considering white brits' makeup among the lowest academic achievers in their own country LMFAO.

Are British Bangladeshis doing badly academically? No, they're okay. They've improved. But they're not exactly starring performers, not by a long shot.

From a personal experience, from year 3 (the age I moved to the UK) to a Ph.D., the higher I went up the academic ladder, the far fewer British Bangladeshis I've encountered. But you see many more Indian faces the higher you go, increasingly so.

Bangladeshis burn themselves out getting good GCSE results, and can't achieve anything meaningful after that. You do see some Bangladeshi faces as PhD students, postdocs, KTP associates, research associates, and lecturers. But they overwhelmingly come from Bangladesh. Infact there are more penguins in Glasgow zoo than British-born Bangladeshi professors/senior readers within any STEM faculty with a semi-decent international ranking. Find me a top journal paper. There's more chance it's written by authors with names like Xiu, Wang, Beng Wah, Sharma, Chen, Krishnan, Mukharjee, and Luo. Rather than Abubakarr, Alladin, Taslima, Ruksana, Tawfiq, etc. Sorry if this fact hurts, but it's just the reality.

The best/brightest of British Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Arabs, etc, end up as engineers, doctors, and lawyers. And they're usually so burnt out after that, they rarely make noticeable contributions to their fields.

The best of British Indians, Chinese, whites, etc, end up as theoritical physicists, distinguished academics (world authority in their fields), and noble prize winners. The sort of people who actually change the world through science and innovation, as opposed to activism and politics.

British Bangladeshi should realize they need to work 3 times harder than ethnic Europeans to get the same job. Education is the only currency you have in this country. Learn to use it, as the Indians have learned many generations ago.
I do not know or have much interactions with BDs. In fact the only ones I can remember are the few that owned / worked in an Oxford restaurant (pleasant well run place) and the couple of boys that work in a local kiosk here on BLR.

But what you report surprised me. Bengals in my view are usually driven accomplished capable people. Whether science or arts. Nobel laureates of Indian origin in both science and literature .

I can understand Bengalis from BD struggling for resources. But do they lack resources even after migrating to UK?

The article missed out a few important points:

1. First generation Bangladeshi immigrants always start from the bottom because they cannot speak English. That’s thanks to the Dhakaya education system that does not teach in English. Instead peddles the shirty “matri basha”.

2. Bangladeshis are discriminated when applying for senior positions because there aren’t a critical mass of Bangladeshis in senior positions. E.g. medicine and IT is where my family is engaged in - both dominated by Indians and who utilise that dominance. But in a decade that will change - you cannot keep us down if we keep getting the degrees from elite universities.

3. Female labour participation within the second generation is almost universal. But overall number is low because virtually zero participation from first generation women - who prefer to eat, watch Bollywood movies and pray fives times in between.

Btw, 90% of British Bangladeshis are Sylhetis. The second and third generation are going to be a force in Bangladesh. Through them Sylhet will become a major force in BD because no other region in BD can count on so many elite university educated people.

They will drive a cultural shift away from Bangla and rota learning onto English and critical thinking. I can already see some of that influence in Sylhet.

@UKBengali
@EasyNow
Younger Bangladeshi born and bread in the UK have no links to BD. This is delusional thinking. Links end when their parents are gone. I know as my town is full of young well educated professional Bangladeshi who go on regular holiday anywhere but Bangladesh.

Younger Bangladeshi born and bread in the UK have no links to BD. This is delusional thinking. Links end when their parents are gone. I know as my town is full of young well educated professional Bangladeshi who go on regular holiday anywhere but Bangladesh.

Your American bdeshi right? With American immigrants, yes broadly most of them lose their roots.

With uk bdeshi, there will always be a segment that maintain roots with shona desh.

"
Sylhetis have overtaken white brits in academic achievements in a single generation."

So has virtually most ethnicities, with the exception of British Pakistani and Afro-Carribeans.

Large egos, little achievements, that's the way of you ghetto folks

"And the next generation will be on par with Chinese - who are the highest achieving ethnic group in Britain."

Not if they have the same statistical acumen as you LMFAO

I think we are being a little pessimistic here.

Most of us BD'shis came to UK in the 1980s and that is why we are behind Indians who largely mainly came here in the 1960s and 1970s.

It will take some time for the academic success to translate finally into real economic ones and @BananaRepublicUK is right that Indians with the same academic qualifications have an advantage in the workplace due to having so many of their group in key positions in the UK. You only need to look at the cabinet to see how far Indians have progressed in the UK.

Not sure why you want to put BD'shis down as what you are seeing now is not the "end product". Give it another 20 years and BD'shis in the UK will be right up there with Indians. It is just the way things play out if you work hard in education, are disciplined and want to progress in life.

As I was reading the replies on this thread, I realized that you Bengalis may not be so different from us Pakistanis after all. The amount of self-cynicism in reaction to prima facie positive news was a feature I thought exclusively existed amongst Pakistanis and Jews (to an extent). I stand corrected.

You guys will be fine inshAllah. The Indians only do well because they crowd the rest of us out- especially Pakistanis. I can tell you that in the Fortune 500 company I used to work for in the US, the Bangladeshis are increasingly better represented. Seems like they like to help each other for hiring and promotions. Not at the discriminatory level that Indians do mind you, but much more than say others.

In this atleast, Pakistanis are different- a Pakistani will not help another Pakistani in these companies period.

To be honest the whingers here are totally marginalised in BD politics and economy now. Ruling party has made them irrelevant and they will probably now stay this way for eternity as BD progresses to "middle-income" country in the 2030s.

Their only outlet is to vent their frustrations on life here on pdf and claim that milk is black since they spend 80% of their time saying that BD economy is not as strong as all the major economic experts say it is.

It is a little odd that they are so frustrated with their lot in life that they would do this as every other nationality like Indians and Pakistans are all celebrating when their economy does well.

To be honest the whingers here are totally marginalised in BD politics and economy now. Ruling party has made them irrelevant and they will probably now stay this way for eternity as BD progresses to "middle-income" country in the 2030s.

Their only outlet is to vent their frustrations on life here on pdf and claim that milk is black since they spend 80% of their time saying that BD economy is not as strong as all the major economic experts say it is.

It is a little odd that they are so frustrated with their lot in life that they would do this as every other nationality like Indians and Pakistans are all celebrating when their economy does well.
Oy, we, Pakistanis, don’t celebrate when our economy does well. Where did you get that?

Your American bdeshi right? With American immigrants, yes broadly most of them lose their roots.

With uk bdeshi, there will always be a segment that maintain roots with shona desh.
No I am Pakistani...with many close Bangladeshi friends. Also in the UK

Sylhetis growing up in ethnic enclave ghettos around East London and Oldham think differently from actual Bangladeshis from Sylhet.
Ah, the old and gold Sylheti superiority complex. I have that too. But, I generally try to be humble.
But many Londonis suffer an identity crisis. Then again, if 4 generations of my family lived in an ethnic enclave ghetto in the arse end of Oldham and East London, I'd have an identity problem too.
Sir identity crisis doesn't exist in us. And that so called ghetto is the reason our non white and unskilled population now pumping out skilled population. You have not idea how racist brits were.
Sylheti exceptionalism is a thing in their part of town. They'll ask you whether you're a Bengoollly or a Sylheti as if they're different things lmfao.
This also exist here...
They do consider themself an ethnicity, how they're descendants of some Arabs, or Turks, or whatever.
We're mix of everything...
Their world map soully consist of Sylhet, London, and nothing else
True. This exist in Sylhet as well...
If it's cultural, then I'm Sylheti as well. Spent way more time in Sylhet than other places in Bangladesh.

Fluent in Sylheti....

As I've mentioned before - plenty of relatives in Sylhet and I have Jalali looks to boot. :lol:

That other hyper-Sylheti guy is a false-flagger. I told you this already.

No EDUCATED Sylheti claims superiority over non- Sylhetis.

Ah the machinations of RAW - so varied and so interesting ! :lol:
Only 3rd gens are accepted...
Not according to illiterate peasants who migrated directly from Sylheti villages to the UK in th 60s -70s and their brainwashed offspings. To them, Sylhet is its own universe.
Modern day Sylhetis from Sylhet do not buy into such crap.
You will be surprised.

Children and grandchildren of those “peasants” now have more degrees from top unis than the rest of Bangladeshis worldwide put together.

No other division in Bangladesh can boast so many Russel group uni educated people.

There are more Oxbridge educated people in my little village than most Bangladeshi districts 🤣🤣🤣

@UKBengali and @EasyNow
UK residents have more UK degrees than non-UK residents. Wow...what a revelation!
All that education yet eternal delusion about identity.

Just accept what the article says!!!

Don’t blame BBS 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@UKBengali and @EasyNow
Just to be clear, BBS stands for "Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics" and not "Bullshit of British Sylhetis".

On one hand, you claim all day that Sylhetis are smarter than non-Sylhetis (or "Dhakaiyas"..in your warped view of Bangladesh) and on the other you ask us to believe dodgy BBS, an organisation under Ministry of Planning which is dominated and manipulated Six Ways to Sunday by majority "Dhakaiyas". Which one is it?

Give it some thought when you have free time away from blowing UKBengali.

Last edited:
UK residents have more UK degrees than non-UK residents. Wow...what a revelation!
All that education yet eternal delusional about identity.

Just to be clear, BBS stands for "Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics" and not "Bullshit of British Sylhetis".

On one hand, you claim all day that Sylhetis are smarter than non-Sylhetis (or "Dhakaiyas"..in your warped view of Bangladesh) and on the other you ask us to believe dodgy BBS, an organisation under Ministry of Planning which is dominated and manipulated Six Ways to Sunday by majority "Dhakaiyas". Which one is it?

Classic bhaijaan ! :rofl:

This guy is either a fifth columnist/Indian (I'm 90% certain) or maybe has a huge chip on his shoulders because he comes from an uneducated background.

Now I get if people want to better themselves in a humble manner (and they will get anybody and everybody to help them to do that) but bad-mouthing especially based along regional lines is a sign of crass low class behavior in Bangladesh. Granted people may make a few jokes about Noakhaillas as such, but even Noakhaillas are OK with it most of the time.

Rate of education in Sylhet was not tops in Bangladesh in any case, that prize always went to Western Bangladesh as well as Comilla/Barisal a and Bikrampur/Munshiganj areas. But this is back-dated narrow regionalism. The more uneducated people are, the more narrow and prejudiced they are.

Last edited:
All that education yet eternal delusional about identity.

In the U.K. we are taught from an early age to be critical and not to believe any single source.

Where it is BBS or world bank, IMF or ADB.

But when they all say the same thing - only unhinged people like you cry BBS.

You lot are so unhinged you are questioning the numbers from U.K. exam boards!!

Unfortunately, your rota learning habits will always hold you back!!

Oy, we, Pakistanis, don’t celebrate when our economy does well. Where did you get that?
He did not say that. Read it again.

This is not exclusive to Bangladeshis. You could say the same for diaspora Pakistanis born and raised abroad. Many diaspora Pakistanis sell their parents land/property in Pakistan once they die. I am talking from experience.

The next generation of Diaspora Pakistanis living in Europe, North America and Australia will be totally "whitewashed" with no link to Pakistan.

In the U.K. we are taught from an early age to be critical and not to believe any single source.

Where it is BBS or world bank, IMF or ADB.

But when they all say the same thing - only unhinged people like you cry BBS.

You lot are so unhinged you are questioning the numbers from U.K. exam boards!!

Unfortunately, your rota learning habits will always hold you back!!

It is not just their rote learning but they are simply interested in stuff beyond their intelligence levels.

Most would be better off spending their free time watching reality TV shows as that is more their level.

Back
Top Bottom