What's new

Breaking News: US Military informs Iraq it is preparing to move out of Iraq

Iran Soleimani killing: US denies Iraq pullout amid letter confusion
  • 1 hour ago

_110413635_mediaitem110413632.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe US has some 5,000 troops in Iraq
US Defence Secretary Mark Esper has denied US troops are pulling out of Iraq, after a letter from a US general there suggested a withdrawal.

The letter said the US would be "repositioning forces in the coming days and weeks" after Iraqi MPs had called for them to leave.

Mr Esper said there had been "no decision whatsoever to leave".

The confusion came amid threats to American forces after the US killed top Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani.

He died in a US drone strike in Baghdad on Friday on the orders of Mr Trump.

The killing has sharply increased regional tensions, with Iran threatening "severe revenge".

What was in the letter?
It appeared to have been sent by Brig Gen William H Seely, head of the US military's task force in Iraq, to Abdul Amir, the deputy director of Combined Joint Operations.

It starts: "Sir, in due deference to the sovereignty of the Republic of Iraq, and as requested by the Iraqi Parliament, and the Prime Minister, CJTF-OIR (Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve) will be repositioning forces over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement."

The letter says certain measures, including increased air traffic, will be conducted "during hours of darkness" to "ensure the movement out of Iraq is conducted in a safe and efficient manner".

It would also "alleviate any perception that we may be bringing more Coalition Forces into the IZ (Green Zone in Baghdad)".

How has it been explained?
Mr Esper told reporters in Washington: "There's been no decision whatsoever to leave Iraq. I don't know what that letter is... We're trying to find out where that's coming from, what that is.

"But there's been no decision made to leave Iraq. Period."

The highest-ranking US soldier, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley, then appeared at a briefing, saying the letter was "a mistake".

He said it was a draft which was poorly worded, had not been signed and should not have been released. It was being circulated for input, including from Iraqis.

"[The letter] was sent over to some key Iraqi military guys in order to get things co-ordinated for air movements, etc. Then it went from that guy's hands to another guy's hands and then it went to your hands. Now it's a kerfuffle."

Gen Milley reiterated that US troops were not leaving.

So what is happening?
Gen Milley said the issue was being "worked" with the Iraqis, but gave no details.

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said he had been told by a coalition source that the letter was to let the Iraqis know the US was moving troops out of the Green Zone to provide protection elsewhere and did not mean a withdrawal.

Skip Twitter post by @bealejonathan
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border-radius: 4px;">
This coalition memo appears to be genuine - but also misleading and badly phrased. Am told by coalition source that it’s to let #Iraq know that US is moving troops out of Green Zone to provide Force Protection elsewhere. NOT leaving #Iraq pic.twitter.com/Erpid6ct6E

— Jonathan Beale (@bealejonathan) January 6, 2020
End of Twitter post by @bealejonathan

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

This has been backed up by other coalition sources, telling separate reporters that the move was to "thin out" the Baghdad personnel.

What are the US and other forces doing in Iraq?
There are just over 5,000 US troops in Iraq, part of the Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, which was set up in 2014 to tackle the Islamic State group after it had captured a large swathe of Syria and Iraq.

There are about a dozen primary member countries, and scores more providing non-combat support.

The main focus of the task force is to train and equip Iraqi forces.

p07zgdf6.jpg

Media captionWho was Qasem Soleimani?
On Sunday, Iraqi MPs passed a non-binding resolution calling for foreign troops to leave in the wake of Soleimani's assassination.

President Trump then threatened severe sanctions against Iraq if US troops left.

"We have a very extraordinarily expensive airbase that's there. It cost billions of dollars to build. We're not leaving unless they pay us back for it," he told reporters.

And those missiles and drones will teleport to Iran I suppose? It's not like Iran will attack their bases or anything.

Dude, they will use their Navy and land mass of Afghanistan if required.

To me, aircraft carriers miles away will be sufficient. Also US bases are well guarded with THAADs and patriot DM shields.

To me, aircraft carriers miles away will be sufficient. Also US bases are well guarded with THAADs and patriot DM shields.

You think Iran could not help slaughter them in Afghanistan, did patriot stop the attack that wiped out 10% of earth oil production??? They are strong but not as much as people make them. Iran will be hit hard but so will they.

You think Iran could not help slaughter them in Afghanistan, did patriot stop the attack that wiped out 10% of earth oil production??? They are strong but not as much as people make them. Iran will be hit hard but so will they.

Listen kid, you really think attack on Saudi refinery was originated from Iran ? or it was US looking for an excuse ;).

Iran is only good at fighting with their proxies/guerrilla warfare. US won't be fighting that. Iran has moderate missile power which can test US defense systems but before that, most of the US bases will be out of soldiers already. US has already redeployed their troops out of Iraq and Syria to Saudia/Qatar in the last 2 years or so.

Listen kid, you really think attack on Saudi refinery was originated from Iran ? or it was US looking for an excuse ;).

Don't call people "kid", it makes you seem childish and immature. And no, I am not so gullible to think Americans wiped out 50% of saudi oil capacity.

Iran is only good at fighting with their proxies/guerrilla warfare. US won't be fighting that.

Who told you they have a choice?

ran has moderate missile power which can test US defense systems but before that, most of the US bases will be out of soldiers already.
That has not happened.

US has already redeployed their troops out of Iraq and Syria to Saudia/Qatar in the last 2 years or so.

Plenty of other targets in the region.

If the US leave the complete Iraq and the complete Syria, me think this could be an adequat "price" for Soleimani. As i learned it was always Soleimani's goal to push the US out of these countries one day. So maybe if it happend and US leave this two countries complete, then maybe there is no need for any further action by Iran. But this is only my view from the outside.

Last edited:
Plenty of other targets in the region.

Iran hit one, US will hit 5. Game over in 3-4 days. Most of the Iranian militarily and nuclear facilities will be decimated on the first day itself.

Only issue for US will be, if Iran targets Israel rather than them. When I say target Israel than I meant by Shahab missiles. Though Israel has THAADs and Patriots but relatively easy targets as compared to US. And even for this to happen than it should be a preemptive strike(s) on Israel.

These seem to be Israeli twitter accounts with links to Israel chances isn’t that weird?

maybe this letter is intended to push certain people to make statements or double down US presence?

Is it safe to assume trump signed his own death warrant by this move? I mean I see it as inevitable he will get popped in or out of president term.

If the US leave the complete Irak and the complete Syria, me think this could be an adequat "price" for Soleimani. As i learned it was always Soleimani's goal to push the US out of these countries one day. So maybe if it happend and US leave this two countries complete, then maybe there is no need for any further action by Iran. But this is only my view from the outside.
Just FYI, Irak is a city in Iran.

If the US leave the complete Irak and the complete Syria, me think this could be an adequat "price" for Soleimani. As i learned it was always Soleimani's goal to push the US out of these countries one day. So maybe if it happend and US leave this two countries complete, then maybe there is no need for any further action by Iran. But this is only my view from the outside.

No bro, that's not enough. Blood must also be split. That's how I would see it.

Iran hit one, US will hit 5.

Right with what? You do realised their regional assets will be ash?

Game over in 3-4 days. Most of the Iranian militarily and nuclear facilities will be decimated on the first day itself.

The us has no such capability in that region. You're creating fantasy scenarios.

Only issue for US will be, if Iran targets Israel rather than them. When I say target Israel than I meant by Shahab missiles.
Shahab missile? are you stuck in 2003 my friend?

Though Israel has THAADs and Patriots but relatively easy targets as compared to US. And even for this to happen than it should be a preemptive strike(s) on Israel.

Iran already warned the Americans that if they respond further after Iran retaliates, Israel will be attacked.

Back
Top Bottom