What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Benazir Bhutto assassinated

Well she died as someone killed her, no one is allowed to kill anyone like this in Islam, I believe in the mercy of Allah, The Merciful, that He will give her better life now.

The cowards and killers are destroying the peace in the world.

Mourning is a way but the fact is that neither Pakistani electorate nor the politicians have the knowledge or the power to win a war against terrorism. Riding around in a small vehicle and waving to people while being unprotected above the roof of the car seems to me like the most stupid action one can make... She should have learned from the Karachi accident and I still do not understand how someone can act this stupid. I never liked here politics but it is shame that our nation is going this way... We have seen the same in Israel where Rabin was assasinated... Olaf Palme... We can go on but the reality is that she took risks her body could not cash. Damn shame what happened after that...

Benazir Bhutto (June 21, 1953 – December 27, 2007)
Our deepest condolences and respect for Pakistan's ex-Prime Minister.

BB WILL BE REMEMBERED THE WAY BHUTTO IS REMEMBERED.
AND JUST FOR THE RECORD
THERE IS NO REVERSE GEAR IN PAKISTANI POLITICS .
LEADERS KNOW WHAT THEY WILL FACE...
LET ME TELL YOU GUYS OUR HISTORY IS FIILED WITH SUCH TRAGIC EVENTS ..
THE ASSASINATION OF LIAQAT ALI KHAN
PROSECUTION OF BHUTTO
PLAN CRASH OF GENERAL ZIA UL HAQ
TWO FAILED ASSASINATION ATTEMPTS ON GENERAL MUSHRAFF
AND SIMMILAR FAILED ASSAINATION ATTEMPTS ON SHAUQAT AZIZ AND AFTAB SHAIRPAO..
IN FUTURE WE WILL SEE MORE UNLESS THIS PARACITE OF MISLEAD RELIGIOUS EXTREEMISM AND HATERED IS RIPPED OFF FROM ITS VERY OWN ROOTS..
ALL THE DEFENCE FORCES ARE ON RED ALERT . MAY GOD HELP US IN THIS TOUGH TIME . AMEEN
LONG LIVE BENAZIR BHUTTO
ITS TRUELY SAD AND UNBELIEVABLE <;(

Curiously, I wonder if this possibility did not occur to BB. She has repeatedly gone to public rallys with full knowledge that there are very determined people who want her very much so dead. Did she intentionally set her self up to become a martyr?
Does such a decision at all fit with her history and psych profile? Did she veiw herself as another Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr? Did she understand that it was entirely possible that she would be killed, but continued in any case so that she may be viewed in history as a peaceful resistor to a corrupt government and militant Islam?

If she had not died in the fashion she did, how would have history viewed her? What would have happened to her family? She would just have been another corrupt politician on the ashheap of Pakistan's sordid political landscape. She transcends politics through her death, even in this forum, which not so long ago was full of Bhutto detractors.. I am not trying to say she committed thinly veiled suicide in order to regain her honor, but I am saying she had to have a good idea that something like this was possible, if not probable. Does this event set her family up to be Pakistan's version of the Gandis? Lots of questions, some will never have answers, and others we will discover in due time.

Hi,

Being a defence related web-site, our focus should have been more towards security issue and strategic analysis of the incidence, implementing of security measures, understanding that no security is fool proof and people who don't respect security procedures may pay a heavy price for themselves and others around them. This where our discussion should have been.

So, TANGO, when you ask if she deliberately set herself up for the task, I don't think so. If she was trying to be Gandhi, or M L King, there was never a hint. Well, I would say that she was extremely non-chalant in her attitude towards security---and that is very evident from the statements that she made. Providing security for her had become a thankless job for the government. The security people and other related personale were being openly ridiculed by Benazir and her cohorts on TV interviews, over the radio, through the news media or writing through the news papers.

The PML Q leaders were making statements that she had been away from the country for 8 years----she didnot understand the ground realities---she could not accept the change that had taken place---they were 100 % correct in their analysis.

Nor would anyone say that there is a lack of common sense over here---on one hand you are asking the police for protection and on the other hand you are ridiculing them for putting their lives on the line for you and insulting them and degrading their efforts openly and challenging them that they are incompetent. Where is the common sense. It is ok to bash them a little but not all the time.

There were a lots of security people who died in the bomb blast in karachi. There will be a few over here as well. If one was to view the videos of the rallies, the security breach by ppp workers is normal. Due to lack of discipline on part of the management and the participants, security has taken a back seat at these rallies. Police can only do so much---they can only provide so much security. You just cannot pop half your torso out of the sunroof of the SUV and wave at the people believing everything is fine in today's trouble some time---and specially for someone who already had death threats.

RIP, thats all I can say.

I never supported her views, but she did not deserve death. I still dont know what she was thinking holding rallies in the north when she was savagely attacked in her own home province.

May Allah forgive her for her sins, we are not here to judge or punish people. Thats not our jobs.

Salaam,

Well said man. I have the same views.

Salaams,

Although I heard many things about her past and what she did...

This is very unfortunate...

From an Islamic Perspective....This is absolutely unacceptable, and those Terrorists have done a heinous crime... it must be denounced...

Although, personally I didn't support her or like her... She didn't deserve that kind of an act.

She was a mother and did have children...

However for the crimes she committed... and corrupt acts she had done...

she did deserve something...but this really shoudn't have been the punishment...

Salaam man,

I agree with you 100%. Very well said.

Anyone justifying BBs killing means that he/she is thinking on the same lines as those terrorists who committed this heinous crime.

I was never a big fan of BB during her life, but still I am saddened over her death. I hate to see any human being killed in the circumstances as she and the rest of 30 (or so) were killed. I hope that this incident will open the eyes of other politicians, and they realise that everyone’s time will be up one day and whatever looting they have done or plan doing will come in front of them on the judgement day. May Allah bless those all who died today and teach our rest of leaders some sincerity with this country.

Very well said, brother.

May Allah Tallah forgive her sins. Ameen.
May Allah Tallah protect Pakistan and Mushy and other good leaders.Ameen.

Analysis: Bhutto's death shakes Pakistan

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 27, 6:54 PM ET

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto deals a stunning blow to liberal political forces trying to combat rising Islamic extremism in Pakistan.

Gathering unrest by her supporters also risks tipping the volatile country into chaos, and puts additional pressure on President Pervez Musharraf as he struggles to keep order and stay in power.

It quashes hopes of Western governments that the charismatic, two-time former prime minister could team up with Musharraf and galvanize Pakistan's fight against Taliban and al-Qaida militants after Jan. 8 elections, which are now themselves in doubt.

"This assassination is the most serious setback for democracy in Pakistan," said Rasul Baksh Rais, a political scientist at Lahore's University of Management Sciences. "It shows extremists are powerful enough to disrupt the democratic process. Musharraf's major concern now will be to maintain law and order and make sure this does not turn into a major movement against him."

Bhutto died Thursday when an attacker shot her and then blew himself up as she left a political rally in Rawalpindi, a city near the capital where Pakistan's army has its headquarters. It was the second suicide attack against her since her tumultuous homecoming from an eight-year exile in October.

The other key opposition leader, Nawaz Sharif — whose government was ousted in the 1999 coup that brought Musharraf to power — quickly announced he was boycotting the parliamentary elections, which are meant to usher Pakistan toward civilian government after years of military dominance.

Talat Masood, a retired general and now a political analyst, expected Bhutto's party to follow suit — a move that would rob the vote of legitimacy.

Bhutto had accused elements in the ruling party of backing militants to kill her — claims that could gain more traction now despite government denials.

At the very least, the government will appear to be losing its grip over Pakistan.

"Conditions in the country have reached a point where it is too dangerous for political parties to operate," Masood said.

He anticipated that Musharraf, who recently suspended the constitution for six weeks, could take drastic steps.

"It is possible they could declare an emergency again," he said.

But Musharraf, who was himself targeted twice in Rawalpindi by al-Qaida bombers in December 2003, gave no immediate sign of an authoritarian backlash to Bhutto's assassination. He declared three days of national mourning and vowed to fight the terrorists behind her killing.

Only a few months ago, he held direct talks with Bhutto and paved the way for her return from exile.

Anthony Cordesman at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, warned that any suspicion that Musharraf had a role in Bhutto's killing or knew about the plot and failed to prevent it could pitch Pakistan "to the edge of civil conflict."

"Much will depend on whether some Islamist extremist movement announces that it committed the attack, but even then a substantial number of Pakistanis will still see the Musharraf government as being at least indirectly involved," he said.

Sharif, a longtime rival of Bhutto, sounded a defiant note after the assassination of Bhutto, and her supporters rampaged across Pakistani cities.

"We will take the revenge on the rulers," a tearful Sharif said after he rushed to the Rawalpindi hospital where Bhutto was pronounced dead.

Western allies, particularly the U.S. and Britain had hoped Bhutto and Musharraf could unite against a growing militant threat and galvanize the campaign against terrorism amid signs that al-Qaida's leadership has reconstituted itself inside Pakistan, posing a risk to global security.

"In a society becoming increasingly intolerant, she was being viewed by the international community as a person who could make a difference as a moderate politician, who, if she came to power, could turn the tide of religious extremism in this country," said Zaffar Abbas, an editor for the respected Dawn newspaper.

Cordesman stressed the domestic turmoil spawned by Bhutto's slaying was unlikely to endanger the safety of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. The government has rejected suggestions that Islamic militants might assault or infiltrate secret facilities where the weapons are stored.

"They are not stored where public riots or demonstrations can affect them, and there is no reason the military should become unstable or their security should be compromised," Cordesman said.

Analysis: Bhutto's death shakes Pakistan - Yahoo! News

Bush condemns assassination of Pakistan's Bhutto

By Tabassum Zakaria
Thu Dec 27, 5:53 PM ET

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - President George W. Bush condemned the assassination of Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto on Thursday and the United States urged Pakistan, a key ally in its war against terrorism, to proceed with elections planned for January 8.

"The United States strongly condemns this cowardly act by murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan's democracy," Bush told reporters on the outskirts of his Texas ranch. "Those who committed this crime must be brought to justice."

U.S. officials called for Pakistan to go ahead with the elections, despite what appeared to be a huge blow to Washington's efforts to promote a democratic transition after eight years of military rule by President Pervez Musharraf.

"I do think that it would be a victory for no one but the extremists responsible for this attack to have some kind of postponement or a delay directly related to it in the democratic process," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Bhutto's old political rival, said his party would boycott the election.

Bush called Musharraf to offer condolences after the Bhutto assassination.

The United States has been careful to show support for Musharraf even after he imposed emergency rule, which he lifted earlier this month after stepping down as army chief.

After the September 11 attacks Washington enlisted the help of the nuclear-armed state in the hunt for al Qaeda and Taliban extremists in the remote border region with Afghanistan. Pakistan has received about $10 billion in U.S. funding since 2001.

"Pakistan has been an ally in the war on terror," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said. "President Musharraf himself has faced numerous assassination attempts."

Bush praised Bhutto's courage in returning to Pakistan in October to participate in elections.

"She knew that her return to Pakistan earlier this year put her life at risk," he said. "Yet she refused to allow assassins to dictate the course of her country."

U.S. ROLE

The United States was instrumental in Bhutto's return to Pakistan, working to convince Musharraf to give up his role as military chief and accept elections and a power-sharing arrangement with Bhutto, a former prime minister.

The Western-educated Bhutto was seen as a moderate who would support the U.S. campaign against al Qaeda and Taliban extremists believed to have taken refuge along Pakistan's lawless frontier with Afghanistan.

The death of Bhutto, 54, in a gun and bomb attack after a rally in the city of Rawalpindi came less than two weeks before an election she hoped to win.

It was the second attack against her since she returned from exile. A suicide bomber targeted Bhutto's motorcade in October as she made her way home through crowds of supporters and killed 139 people.

U.S. officials said it was too early to determine who was behind the assassination.

The United States offered the FBI's assistance in investigating the attack but had not yet received a request, agency spokesman Stephen Kodak said.

"There are a number of extremist groups within Pakistan that could have carried out the attack," a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity. "Al Qaeda has got to be one of the groups at the top of the list."

Bhutto's relationship with Musharraf frayed after her return to Pakistan but the United States continued to support her as a central figure in its efforts to promote a democratic transition in the country.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said of Bhutto: "I knew her as a woman of great courage and had been impressed by her dedication and commitment to democracy and the future of Pakistan itself."

The United States had pressured Musharraf to release Bhutto from house arrest imposed to prevent her from leading a protest, and sent Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte to try to revive a political deal between Bhutto and Musharraf in November.

Rick Barton, a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the attack underscored the weakness of Musharraf and the military, and "the danger of growing extremism in the country and the lack of any real authority."

(Additional reporting by Deborah Charles, Paul Eckert and Randall Mikkelsen; Editing by David Alexander, Peter Cooney and Bill Trott)

Bush condemns assassination of Pakistan&#39;s Bhutto - Yahoo! News

I just read CNN and here's the headline Link- Bhutto said she'd blame Musharraf if killed - CNN.com

Now god knows the truth but future is uncertain in Pakistan, both Politically and economically same is true for Musharaf too. I guess PPP may break into factions ? Or Musharaf may strike deal with Benazir's husband ?
One can draw parallels between Benazir and Rajiv.

Pakistan: Al-Qaeda claims Bhutto's death

Karachi, 27 Dec. (AKI) - (by Syed Saleem Shahzad) - A spokesperson for the al-Qaeda terrorist network has claimed responsibility for the death on Thursday of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

&#8220;We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat [the] mujahadeen,&#8221; Al-Qaeda&#8217;s commander and main spokesperson Mustafa Abu Al-Yazid told Adnkronos International (AKI) in a phone call from an unknown location, speaking in faltering English. Al-Yazid is the main al-Qaeda commander in Afghanistan.

It is believed that the decision to kill Bhutto, who is the leader of the opposition Pakistan People's Party (PPP), was made by al-Qaeda No. 2, the Egyptian doctor, Ayman al-Zawahiri in October.

Death squads were allegedly constituted for the mission and ultimately one cell comprising a defunct Lashkar-i-Jhangvi&#8217;s Punjabi volunteer succeeded in killing Bhutto.

Bhutto had just addressed a pre-election rally on Thursday in the garrison town of Rawalpindi when the bomb went off.

She had come to Rawalpindi after finishing a rapid election campaign, ahead of the January polls, in Pakistan's volatile North West Frontier Province (NWFP) where she had talked about a war against terrorism and al-Qaeda.

Reports say at least 15 other people were killed in the attack and several others injured.

As news of Bhutto's death spread throughout the country, there are reports that people have taken to the streets to protest the death of the leader of the PPP, which has the largest support of any party in Pakistan.

In the southern port city of Karachi, Bhutto's hometown, residents reportedly threw stones at cars and burnt tyres.
AKI - Adnkronos international Pakistan: Al-Qaeda claims Bhutto's death

Note the "We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat [the] mujahadeen"

Back
Top Bottom