What's new

Boeing all for made-in-India F-18s fighter jets for IAF

nadeemkhan110

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
images

Boeing chairman James McNerney said on Friday that his company will be happy to make its fighter jet F/A-18 Super Hornet in India if the Indian Air Force (IAF) were to buy it.
McNerney, who met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, believes this to be the best government he has seen in India in 35 years. Enthused, he wants Boeing, the defence and aerospace giant that earned $91 billion in revenues last year, to play a part in taking Indian manufacturing to global standards.
The IAF has a depleted fleet and is looking for a twin-engine fighter aircraft as well as a single-engine one. The F/A-18 is a twin-engine, supersonic, multi-role and all-weather fighter.
“...it is obvious to me there is active interest in more fighters... however it shapes up, Boeing will have a fighter that can meet the requirement. What is different is our commitment to indigenise the manufacture of this fighter,” McNerney, on a quick visit to the country, said in an exclusive interview to HT.
Boeing’s proposal, he said, would involve both a state-of-the-art fighter as well as transfer of a significant amount of the production system to India, which will have a broad-based effect, not just in defence but also in other industries.
Asked if the Boeing chairman was inclined to make the F/A-18 in India, McNerney said: “I think whichever system we offer, Make in India will be an important part of it. If F/A-18 were our offer, a significant Make in India part of the proposal will be there.”
McNerney, basking in the orders just placed by India for two of its helicopter models, Chinook, which is used for heavy lifting, and Apache, an attack aircraft, said Boeing would increasingly use partnerships around the world to make and design in other countries. “In India I see the single biggest opportunity to do that.”
He likes the change in the way the Indian government and bureaucracy respond. “I think what makes Prime Minister Modi special is that he is both a visionary and has his feet firmly on the ground... He understands how hard it is to do the little things as well as how important it is to do the big things.”
McNerney cited the dialogue on the offset obligation as a fine example of the change in the bureaucracy’s approach.
“They have listened to people like us, and made some improvements. There is a dialogue. There never used to be dialogue, there used to be take-it-or-leave-it.”
source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/business/boeing-all-for-made-in-india-f-18s-fighter-jets-for-iaf/story-meDpNjskKl2560VZWZHMWJ.html

@Stannis Baratheon @AsianUnion @SipahSalar @KURUMAYA @Jaanbaz @Jf Thunder @Patriots @batmannow @Oscar @Jango @Horus @Bratva @Crypto @Leader @pkuser2k12 @mr42O @NaMaloom @Viper0011. @Akheilos @Shamain @Jzaib @Khalidr

Offers like these are creating more and more hurdles for Tejas program. Eurofighter, Grippen and now F-18 have activated their lobbies in India. Interesting times ahead.

Offers like these are creating more and more hurdles for Tejas program. Eurofighter, Grippen and now F-18 have activated their lobbies in India. Interesting times ahead.

LCA / Tejas is on an irreversible path to fly in IAF colours in large numbers. These offers strengthen our resolve and make it sweeter. The more such offers the more comfort we take in our foreign policy and geo-strategic position.

Yes you are right , and that is the fear. No one wants to let their cash cow go. US and Russia both are not too fond of India's indigenous developments, but if we want to produce world class defense products in the future we have to focus on our indigenous developments. Let's hope that government doesn't fall for these gimmicks coz these companies won't part with an iota of tech.

problem with the Super Hornet instead of Tejas is that SH weighs twice is much at 14.5 tonnes empty compared to Tejas at 6.5 tonnes.

now you could de-navalize the SH and shed about 1 to 2 tonnes off to give it a 12.5 to 13.5 tonnes empty r and if India can make 50% of the SH out of composites then that should make it even lighter and lighter means it can go further and higher T/W ratio

In hindsight they should of just bought the rights to manufacture the Mirage 2000-5/9. It's basically on even terms or better than Tejas in my opinion

mirage2000_3.jpg

problem with the Super Hornet instead of Tejas is that SH weighs twice is much at 14.5 tonnes empty compared to Tejas at 6.5 tonnes.

now you could de-navalize the SH and shed about 1 to 2 tonnes off to give it a 12.5 to 13.5 tonnes empty r and if India can make 50% of the SH out of composites then that should make it even lighter and lighter means it can go further and higher T/W ratio

In hindsight they should of just bought the rights to manufacture the Mirage 2000-5/9. It's basically on even terms or better than Tejas in my opinion

mirage2000_3.jpg
and one of indian senior pilot was not satisfied from tejas after a test Flight.

Last edited:

I don't think it is instead of Tejas, I think it is an addition to the category that Rafale represents which the IAF wants in specific numbers. The Tejas orders will continue to increase. Of course, this is all very speculative now but I think both Boeing & LM will make an offer to build planes in India.

Boeing chairman James McNerney said on Friday that his company will be happy to make its fighter jet F/A-18 Super Hornet in India if the Indian Air Force (IAF) were to buy it.

McNerney, who met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, believes this to be the best government he has seen in India in 35 years. Enthused, he wants Boeing, the defence and aerospace giant that earned $91 billion in revenues last year, to play a part in taking Indian manufacturing to global standards.

The IAF has a depleted fleet and is looking for a twin-engine fighter aircraft as well as a single-engine one. The F/A-18 is a twin-engine, supersonic, multi-role and all-weather fighter.

“...it is obvious to me there is active interest in more fighters... however it shapes up, Boeing will have a fighter that can meet the requirement. What is different is our commitment to indigenise the manufacture of this fighter,” McNerney, on a quick visit to the country, said in an exclusive interview to HT.

Boeing’s proposal, he said, would involve both a state-of-the-art fighter as well as transfer of a significant amount of the production system to India, which will have a broad-based effect, not just in defence but also in other industries.

Asked if the Boeing chairman was inclined to make the F/A-18 in India, McNerney said: “I think whichever system we offer, Make in India will be an important part of it. If F/A-18 were our offer, a significant Make in India part of the proposal will be there.”

McNerney, basking in the orders just placed by India for two of its helicopter models, Chinook, which is used for heavy lifting, and Apache, an attack aircraft, said Boeing would increasingly use partnerships around the world to make and design in other countries. “In India I see the single biggest opportunity to do that.”

He likes the change in the way the Indian government and bureaucracy respond. “I think what makes Prime Minister Modi special is that he is both a visionary and has his feet firmly on the ground... He understands how hard it is to do the little things as well as how important it is to do the big things.”

McNerney cited the dialogue on the offset obligation as a fine example of the change in the bureaucracy’s approach.

“They have listened to people like us, and made some improvements. There is a dialogue. There never used to be dialogue, there used to be take-it-or-leave-it.”

Boeing all for made-in-India F-18s fighter jets for IAF | business | Hindustan Times

if boeing is ready to make F18 here for 5-6 odd sq then dassault will feel the pinch in final negotiations now

India needs atleast 1800 aircrafts in civilian sector in the coming decades, one of the reasons for the offer.

Why are we so stuck on buying from those Baguette munchers? Rafales will be like another Vikramadityan deal.

Manufacturing or buying more Mirages was always the best option for mmrca plus some Tejas for point defence but........ .......:(

Plus IAF is in love with Mirages. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom