What's new

Boeing all for made-in-India F-18s fighter jets for IAF

Fighter planes ka museum banana hai kya sirjee

Arey.. Studying the different platforms, having a certain know-how of their capabilities, shortcomings etc and ...
also maybe engaging in some reverse engineering like our Chinese friends :D

All that can be invaluable in helping us better our own indigenous platform.. Tejas hi rakho bulk main..

Yes you are right , and that is the fear. No one wants to let their cash cow go. US and Russia both are not too fond of India's indigenous developments, but if we want to produce world class defense products in the future we have to focus on our indigenous developments. Let's hope that government doesn't fall for these gimmicks coz these companies won't part with an iota of tech.

We should get the technologies and incorporate them in our domestic programs. Since IAF already confirmed 100 LCA tejas and we have a 5 th gen program AMCA, we need to take the offer from external vendor either it is rafale, boeing or lm.

It seems IAF has not got their priorities right, if they have thought of SH then they should have deployed 3 or 4 squadrons of SH on our aircraft carriers and then went ahead with improved SH for IAF.

Arey.. Studying the different platforms, having a certain know-how of their capabilities, shortcomings etc and ...
also maybe engaging in some reverse engineering like our Chinese friends :D

All that can be invaluable in helping us better our own indigenous platform.. Tejas hi rakho bulk main..
It ll be difficult to maintain the logistics,spares and training
Considering 36 rafales is a done deal i dont see either IAF or GOI for SH
Hum gareeb log hain bhai....hamare liye tejas hi sahi hai :D

It ll be difficult to maintain the logistics,spares and training
Considering 36 rafales is a done deal i dont see either IAF or GOI for SH
Hum gareeb log hain bhai....hamare liye tejas hi sahi hai :D

Bas yahi dikkat hain.. Dekhte hain.. Agle 2-3 saalon ke economic situation pe dependent hain sab.

LCA / Tejas is on an irreversible path to fly in IAF colours in large numbers. These offers strengthen our resolve and make it sweeter. The more such offers the more comfort we take in our foreign policy and geo-strategic position.

Sir U didnt get my point.These offers were there from day one. Timings of the recent offers are as such when Indian Govt has given go ahead with Tejas induction at the cost of some 100 plus Rafale. Had this Rafale deal been also there then the "foreign maal lobby" in IAF and MoD would have no objections to that. But by culminating this deal, Tejas would surely have become sworn enemy of these all guys as it has kicked away their goodies from the respective vendors they were at the pay role of for the said deal. If U say their no such lobby at work there then i would just fly away without uttering a single word.

Yes you are right , and that is the fear. No one wants to let their cash cow go. US and Russia both are not too fond of India's indigenous developments, but if we want to produce world class defense products in the future we have to focus on our indigenous developments. Let's hope that government doesn't fall for these gimmicks coz these companies won't part with an iota of tech.

Agreed.

Sir U didnt get my point.These offers were there from day one. Timings of the recent offers are as such when Indian Govt has given go ahead with Tejas induction at the cost of some 100 plus Rafale. Had this Rafale deal been also there then the "foreign maal lobby" in IAF and MoD would have no objections to that. But by culminating this deal, Tejas would surely have become sworn enemy of these all guys as it has kicked away their goodies from the respective vendors they were at the pay role of for the said deal. If U say their no such lobby at work there then i would just fly away without uttering a single word.

After a go ahead from IAF & MoD, there is no U turns in the short to medium term. Yes, there most certainly will be delays. o_O But that wont change numbers already ordered. There can be more Rafale orders but the two are in different class. I would be concerned if it was Gripen and not Rafale or F-18s on order. Gripen was the only real competition for the LCA weight / single engine class. There are vested interests and no point in denying. For now, Tejas is a reality for IAF.

The development program can be derailed even after the go ahead by MoD if foreign 4th gen fighters are brought. The foreign lobby will keep comparing Tejas with Rafale and conclude the former is useless(since it cannot be as good as the rafale, it is our first attemt) Also we just don't have enough cash to go around. We need to also invest a very large amount-at least $10bn-in the AMCA program.There is no other alternative to indigenous development. How come PLAAF had the same quality of aircraft as IAF, even though their economy is 5 times? They are only importing the bare minimun and investing everything in their domestic RnD. We should take the same approach.

images

Boeing chairman James McNerney said on Friday that his company will be happy to make its fighter jet F/A-18 Super Hornet in India if the Indian Air Force (IAF) were to buy it.
McNerney, who met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, believes this to be the best government he has seen in India in 35 years. Enthused, he wants Boeing, the defence and aerospace giant that earned $91 billion in revenues last year, to play a part in taking Indian manufacturing to global standards.
The IAF has a depleted fleet and is looking for a twin-engine fighter aircraft as well as a single-engine one. The F/A-18 is a twin-engine, supersonic, multi-role and all-weather fighter.
“...it is obvious to me there is active interest in more fighters... however it shapes up, Boeing will have a fighter that can meet the requirement. What is different is our commitment to indigenise the manufacture of this fighter,” McNerney, on a quick visit to the country, said in an exclusive interview to HT.
Boeing’s proposal, he said, would involve both a state-of-the-art fighter as well as transfer of a significant amount of the production system to India, which will have a broad-based effect, not just in defence but also in other industries.
Asked if the Boeing chairman was inclined to make the F/A-18 in India, McNerney said: “I think whichever system we offer, Make in India will be an important part of it. If F/A-18 were our offer, a significant Make in India part of the proposal will be there.”
McNerney, basking in the orders just placed by India for two of its helicopter models, Chinook, which is used for heavy lifting, and Apache, an attack aircraft, said Boeing would increasingly use partnerships around the world to make and design in other countries. “In India I see the single biggest opportunity to do that.”
He likes the change in the way the Indian government and bureaucracy respond. “I think what makes Prime Minister Modi special is that he is both a visionary and has his feet firmly on the ground... He understands how hard it is to do the little things as well as how important it is to do the big things.”
McNerney cited the dialogue on the offset obligation as a fine example of the change in the bureaucracy’s approach.
“They have listened to people like us, and made some improvements. There is a dialogue. There never used to be dialogue, there used to be take-it-or-leave-it.”
source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/business/boeing-all-for-made-in-india-f-18s-fighter-jets-for-iaf/story-meDpNjskKl2560VZWZHMWJ.html

@Stannis Baratheon @AsianUnion @SipahSalar @KURUMAYA @Jaanbaz @Jf Thunder @Patriots @batmannow @Oscar @Jango @Horus @Bratva @Crypto @Leader @pkuser2k12 @mr42O @NaMaloom @Viper0011. @Akheilos @Shamain @Jzaib @Khalidr

What impact it will have on per unit price of the jet??

Hi,
India should immediately go for american options
Nah,we simply can't trust these Yankees with our front line fighters.We have all seen what happened to Pakistan when the USA out of the blue put sanction on Pakistan,thus effective grounding nearly 50% of your front line F-16 fighters for the lack of spare parts!!

Nah,we simply can't trust these Yankees with our front line fighters.We have all seen what happened to Pakistan when the USA out of the blue put sanction on Pakistan,thus effective grounding nearly 50% of your front line F-16 fighters for the lack of spare parts!!
Hi,
while I appreciate your enthusiasm or must I say the hatred for PAF, where you have made ( ridiculous claim without any evidence or whatsoever).

I must also stress the recent deepening of ties ( thanks to Modi jee) even after Devyani drama, It is headed in right direction.

Plus the only country which is against China in this particular region, US will never attempt to undermine Indian defence need.

Hi,
India should immediately go for american options

Whatever may be the decision, we have to wait beyond December to know it. And if the claims of Boeing, that the cumulative package of about 100 F18s is 30% cheaper than for a similar number of Rafales is true, then certainly , given our baniya mindset they will find service in our airforce.

Nah,we simply can't trust these Yankees with our front line fighters.We have all seen what happened to Pakistan when the USA out of the blue put sanction on Pakistan,thus effective grounding nearly 50% of your front fighters for the lack of spare parts!!

Hi
Sir spares will not be a problem. If spares are a problem then we are already dommed, because we have P8s and C17s serving very important roles.
I am not having verified links, but if you want to believe,then currently our airforce is keeping or working to keep additional spares for 6 months in advance , thus preventing any problems from sanctions, if a conflict occurs.

can't trust these yankees :rofl: is that suppose to be derogatory?? and you trust the Russians??? yeah they won't sanction you, but they are charging you a foot and leg for spares for your Su-30s :angel:

so when is India going to be 100% self sufficient btw. then you wouldn't have to worry about the yankees or anyone else for that matter :disagree:

can't trust these yankees :rofl: is that suppose to be derogatory??
I bet it is cautionary, your american mentality of either with me or against me makes you feel like that.
and you trust the Russians??? yeah they won't sanction you, but they are charging you a foot and leg for spares for your Su-30s :angel:
Russians just suck up our money where as US will suck the life out of us. Remember 1971 gun boat diplomacy against india ?

so when is India going to be 100% self sufficient btw. then you wouldn't have to worry about the yankees or anyone else for that matter :disagree:
Time and tide waits for none.

I bet it is cautionary, your american mentality of either with me or against me makes you feel like that.

Russians just suck up our money where as US will suck the life out of us. Remember 1971 gun boat diplomacy against india ?

Time and tide waits for none.

sorry I don't know about this 1971 gun boat diplomacy.

only sanctions I know of against India and Pakistan has been over nuclear proliferation and the Gujarat riots.

and you can't say Yankees have been bias against either/ since they also sanctioned North Korea and Iran as well over nuclear programs.

but then again it's kinda hypocritical that Israel got a free pass.

Back
Top Bottom