What's new

Blast in Cannt area: Multan

I guess the Indian authorities have finally woken up from their babudom induced slumber and are actually doing a pretty good job at maintaining security instead of playing a blame game at the grass roots level.

We are not in denial as to where the real threats lie and our authorities are doing a very good job (if only post 26/11), leaving the politics and its repercussions to be dealt with for the politicians!

As for Afghanistan, the NATO troops are doing their business and the Taliban find it more and more difficult to mount big attacks there.

RIP to the victims, all this violence is really mind numbing and senseless! Hope Pakistan emerges stronger and quells this madness once and for all!

Actually you continue to play the 'blame game' with respect to Pakistan as evidence by MMS's comments just recently, no need to lie and pretend that does not occur.

And if NATO troops were doing their business then Obama would not be sending in 30,000 more troops nor would McChrystal be warning of complete failure if the situation is not reversed. More and more parts of Afghanistan now have a Taliban presence, the US just abandoned a couple of provinces in Eastern Afghanistan to the Taliban, where Mullah FM is reported to have escaped to and from where renewed attacks in Bajaur and Mohmand are reportedly being planned, and you say that NATO troops are doing their job - what planet are you on?

So the question remains, why are Afghan military and intelligence locations not the target of such sustained and complex attacks by the Afghan Taliban, given the corruption and infiltration in their ranks and the connections with the Pakistani Taliban? And my speculation is that the Pakistani Taliban enjoy Indian intelligence support in terms of intelligence, target selection and operational planning - I see no other reason to explain the discrepancy.

In Afganistan, the security setup is in the hands of NATO, and they are professionals of highest order.
With India out of Taliban's radar due to it's low number ( as U agreed) , pakistan is the only target for talibans and they have plenty of reasons to be cross with pakistani establishment.

In Afganistan, the security setup is in the hands of NATO, and they are professionals of highest order.
With India out of Taliban's radar due to it's low number ( as U agreed) , pakistan is the only target for talibans and they have plenty of reasons to be cross with pakistani establishment.

Is NATO guarding the Afghan Army and intelligence bases and HQ? And even if that were the case, there would still be attempts to attack those targets, even if they were not successful.

Is NATO guarding the Afghan Army and intelligence bases and HQ? And even if that were the case, there would still be attempts to attack those targets, even if they were not successful.

Question is valid, unfortunately my knowledge is not that great in Afghanistan.

Wow,holding two hotels and a synannogue for 48 hours requires lot of training AM.At par with a SWAT team.Iam yet to see the Taliban
to do such a hostage crisis for such a prolonged period of time

Not really - the Indian response was extremely slow to begin with. Pakistan forces have usually deployed within an hour to counter attempts at hostage taking, whether at the police academy or at the GHQ.

But without getting into arguments over responses, the length of the Mumbai attacks is explained by the fact that they had an entire city to play hide and seek in, and several hundred rooms in the Taj hotel that had to be cleared, whereas so far in Pakistan the terrorists have hidden in smaller complexes such as the security building at GHQ and the police academy.

Not really - the Indian response was extremely slow to begin with. Pakistan forces have usually deployed within an hour to counter attempts at hostage taking, whether at the police academy or at the GHQ.

But without getting into arguments over responses, the length of the Mumbai attacks is explained by the fact that they had an entire city to play hide and seek in, and several hundred rooms in the Taj hotel that had to be cleared, whereas so far in Pakistan the terrorists have hidden in smaller complexes such as the security building at GHQ and the police academy.

I agree with AM here, the terrorist were virtually unchallenged for first 12 hours in Taj hotel, that gives enough time for them to setup anything they wanted. I will give credit of 26/11 to lack of proper security apparatus in India.

In CST terminal where Kasab started there were 15+ policemen to counter 2 kids, if they had training or weapon Kasab would have been dead by now.

I felt that because they had AK47 everyone was keeping safe distance due to obvious reason.

I hope GOI is plugging that loop hole.

its not blackwater but TTP supported by LeT. Jaish etc, the punjabi militants are providing logistic support.

how come you are so sure about it, there are presence signs of US involvement in almost every occourence? :whistle:

Another blast - May Allah help us in this batlle.

Frustration is now showing in the ranks of TTP and their foreign supporters.

When an affliction befalls them, they say, "We belong to GOD, and to Him we are returning

Once again my prayers and sympathies for the families that have lost loved ones and my prayers for the day that there is only good news to share here.

My previous statement may have been poorly worded - the point I was making is not that the Indians and Afghans need to experience these attacks, but that the Taliban in Pakistan, despite reportedly being linked to the Afghan Taliban, are carrying out a far more complex, sophisticated and deadly insurgency than the Afghan Taliban.

Taliban Swatter indicated that he thought this was because some retired or serving Pak Military might be involved, and hence my pointing out that if that was the case we should have seen similar types of attacks in Afghanistan given the corruption and infiltration in the Afghan security forces.

That leaves me to 'speculate' that the Pakistani Taliban are far more deadly and capable because they are receiving state assistance (Indian intelligence is my guess) which is providing them with tactical training, intelligence on targets and operational planning.

I would agree that the Pakistani Jihadis are more capable than their Afghan counterparts, but that does not necessarily imply indian involvement.

Their enhanced capability could possibly be due to a strong collaborative relationship between the qualitatively superior punjabi militants of the LeJ, JM variety and the TTP - as we've seen, punjabi militants have been involved in most of the complex attacks carried out including the ones on the cricket team, manawan, as well as the GHQ raid.

When you couple that ground reality with the fact that a lot of the punjabi jihadis were trained by the military, have long-standing ties with lots of pro-jihadi ex military officers, and essentially form the core of the jihadi infrastructure in pakistan, the possbile reason behind the relative sophistication of the local jihadi terrorist attacks on high-profile targets becomes more evident.

LeT is probably the most advanced and well-trained jihadi outfit of the lot - JM, LeJ are perhaps a close second. I'd say the Mumbai attack was a meticulously planned operation that probably required a couple of years of planning and training. Infiltrating Mumbai's central districts, holding off army commandos for 2-3 days, and coordinating across different attack sites was no mean feat.

Now we know that the suspect charged in Chicago was interfacing with LeT, a retired military officer and Ilyas Kashmiri. IK was known to have links with TTP as well as Al Qaeda, and according to Hamid Mir, was an ex-SSG commando!

We also know that the attack team leader of the GHQ attack, Usman, was a ex-military person.

I'm afraid the nexus between the jihadi groups and retired military personnel is too obvious to ignore.

If the Indians were so sophisticated so as to set up a terrorist support network across pakistani cities with impunity, surely they would have busted the mumbai plot long before it could ever see the light of day.

At the end of the day, the recent attacks on security complexes in the major cities can only be sustained if they are propped up by a support infrastructure embedded within the various urban communities - IMHO.

And we all know that jihadi training, planning and logistics support has been traditionally handled by pakistani military personnel in the past, of whom there are many retired elements still maintaining links with the jihadi actors.

Of course you can speculate that the retired military officers colluding with the jihadi terrorists might be Indian agents. :)

Last edited:
Tuesday's blast ripped the facades off several buildings in a part of the town largely reserved for government and security agencies. Also damaged was the apparent target of the blast, a building housing an office of Pakistan's most powerful spy agency, Inter-Services Intelligence.

Senior police officer Agha Yusuf said at least three militants in a car carried out the attack. One of them first fired a rocket and an automatic weapon at a police checkpoint. Then the men drove the car to the intelligence agency and detonated it.

He said security force members were among the 12 dead.

Taliban spokesman Azam Tariq claimed responsibility for the attack in a conversation with an Associated Press reporter in the Waziristan area of the Afghan border region.

Police: Attack on Pakistan intel office kills 12 - Yahoo! News

you say that NATO troops are doing their job - what planet are you on?
Doing their jobs as in "there are no major attacks by the Taliban on NATO troops or Afghan capital"! Either that or there is a very real and dangerous possibility of a "good" taliban and a "bad" taliban! Somehow considering all thats going on, the latter is a very remote possibility, if not outright ludicrous!
So the question remains, why are Afghan military and intelligence locations not the target of such sustained and complex attacks by the Afghan Taliban, given the corruption and infiltration in their ranks and the connections with the Pakistani Taliban?
Soft targets! The very underbelly of the "establishment" they are fighting!
Pakistani cities with many taliban sympathizers among the populace make for soft targets for these scumbags! Isnt that really where terrorists strike?

As to your assumption of drawing a conclusion about Indian involvement..........please (aint no Sir Author Conan Doyle's world anymore)! Indians dont sympathize with the taliban, none whatsoever. So they do not have any safe places here, couple that with the new found efficiency our authorities are showing these days. Hence talitubbies can do nothing.

"The more they get attacked internally, just like this terrible attack in Rawalpindi at the mosque, the more open they may be to additional help from us. But we are prepared to expand that relationship at any pace that they are prepared to accept," he (U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates) said.

Full report here :US Ready to Expand Military Help for Pakistan | Asia | English

http://www.express.com.pk/images/NP_LHE/20091209/Sub_Images/1100791028-1.gif

Aqalmand ko ishara kaafi, guess who is benefiting most from such attacks, the TTP or somone else!

Seeing 2 different thread, blast in Multan and blast in Lahore. Are they 2 attacks or one. Sorry for my ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom