What's new

BJP MP from Uttarakhand seeks official status for Tamil

If you want to protect a language, teach it in monasteries.

Why make it an official language and waste resources?

When I said you people should learn tamil? its Tarun statement not mine. To avoid wasting resources we protested hindi long back , now you understand it great.

Its not about numbers dear , tamils only ancient language living in the world. Classical languages like Greek,latin, Chinese, Arabic ,Hebrew already ruled out those are equal to tamil language.So its needful to protect it.

why would you force it on the rest of India?

You are wrong on that count.Lot of Europeans are multilingual and German has significant scientific output on it's own.

And it has nothing to do with pride. If scientific output in your language is zero, it is pretty much useless in today's world as combined output in sciences, both pure and social far exceeds that of fruity novels. It is not 17th century when literary value mattered.

You see, the scientific output of Hindi is also zero. That argument is true for Hindi as it is true for Tamil.

But a mother language like Sanskrit serves as a acceptable, common tool for social interaction and social mobility among Indians. It will rip aside any class, caste and religious barrier and help us understand our own culture and social norms better.

BTW the last point about 'literary value' is also not correct. Just look at the Tamil, Malayalam, Telegu, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali etc.. movies and songs. That is the modern day 'literature' and it certainly has mass appeal.

Those who want to speak in Tamil can speak among themselves or those who are conversant. What's there to be 'official' about it?

It is not about languages, but this is weird. Such stupid demands should not be entertained.

You see, the scientific output of Hindi is also zero. That argument is true for Hindi as it is true for Tamil.

But a mother language like Sanskrit serves as a acceptable, common tool for social interaction and social mobility among Indians. It will rip aside any class, caste and religious barrier and help us understand our own culture and social norms better.

BTW the last point about 'literary value' is also not correct. Just look at the Tamil, Malayalam, Telegu, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali etc.. movies and songs. That is the modern day 'literature' and it certainly has mass appeal.

I agree and advocate Sanskrit as a pan-Indian language. That's what was done in Brazil, Russia, China, Japan etc where multiple dialects and regional languages are spoken. People speak regional languages and dialects but one common national language is there that all must learn.

But sadly, the founders of the modern India were against anything that showed pride of the land's culture and instead chose a regional language to be put forward instead of the mother language Sanskrit.

Those who want to speak in Tamil can speak among themselves or those who are conversant. What's there to be 'official' about it?

It is not about languages, but this is weird. Such stupid demands should not be entertained.

its as weird as asking everybody to learn hindi....
two languages are enough for child .. 1 local and 1 international ... rest are extra

I have same views about Hindi and Sanskrit too.

Official language means a language in which official works would be done. It should be chosen on basis of it's practicality.

Multiple official languages are burden as they increases cost and time delays associated with translation.

It is because of this, i believe that English is most suitable as official language. If any other language is declared as official and people forced to work in that, we would anyway have to translate nearly 100% of material related to Sciences.

this MP has great foresight , he knows that if Tamil is not given official status, then TN will split from India as Tamil is not a hybrid lingo like Hindi or Bengali etc but a pure Native Dravidian language of India .

As for Bengali, west Bengali can merge with Bangladesh and enjoy the status of Bengali being the national language and Telegus should first resolve their Andhra - Telegana issue, as both states speak a different version of the language

surprised to see a foreigner having knowledge abt telangana and andhra.it is even more surprising to see tht with such knowledge,u are assuming tamils and bengalis ask for a secession.except muslims,no indian even thinks of separating from india mate.

The MP is trying to be more Tamilian than the Tamils themselves .

What is the Tamil population of Uttarakhand ???

Marginal, south indians I have seen in dehradun are mostly govt. officials who get posted here (ONGC, army etc. etc.), they speak perfect hindi though.

I disagree. Even I have a problem in imposing Hindi all over India.

Tamils and rest of India who oppose this forcible imposition of Hindi are right in fighting for remove this.

I would much rather have Sanskrit being forced on Indians. It is the mother of most Indian languages and knowing it will help us strengthen our religious, cultural and social roots.

Hindi servers no purpose other than make the life of natural Hindi speakers easier at the expense on Non Hindi speakers. This form of discrimination and double standard must go.
Stop trying to pass as a scholar.Did my post had any realtion to "Hindi".

They have Tamil in their state why do they want it be a part of a National language.Hindi was given that status a long time back.....that stuff is history.They should stop stirring this matter again.

Tamil already got official status both in Singapore and Srilanka ,its nothing novel.
How about you then move to Singapore or make Tamil Nadu part of Singapore.Ask your cousin @manlion (hopefully I'm tagging the right person) about the condition of Tamils in Singapore and Malaysia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop trying to pass as a scholar.Did my post had any realtion to "Hindi".

They have Tamil in their state why do they want it be a part of a National language.Hindi was given that status a long time back.....that stuff is history.They should stop stirring this matter again.

How about you then move to Singapore or make Tamil Nadu part of Singapore.Ask your cousin @manlion (hopefully I'm tagging the right person) about the condition of Tamils in Singapore and Malaysia.

Hindi is not " National language ". It is just an official language along with English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have reading comprehension issues ? ........ my answer is there in the very post you have chosen to question.

"It is the mother of most Indian languages and knowing it will help us strengthen our religious, cultural and social roots."

That sounds pretty practical to me.

What do you mean to say it was never used by more than a handful ? :cheesy: Almost ALL Indian languages are corrupted forms of Sanskrit. Half of the even use the same or similar script !

Its like saying only handful of people used English since only the grammatically correct and words in the oxford English dictionary is considered english.

An Irish speaking 'english' and a hispanic speaking 'english' saying the same thing will have NOTHING in common. Yet they both speak 'english'.

Sanskirt is the perfect Pure form of the language ...... rest of India used the common languages like Prakrit, Tadbhavas and Tatsama in other languages ranging from Sinhalese, bengali, Telegu, punjabi etc...

The perfect pure form of ANY language is used to write documents and records.....they are rarely used in speech, except by the very learned and very scholarly. How many of us use 'Perfect' english in real life ? That does not mean we stop learning or teaching perfect and pure english to our kids ?

Maybe .... but that does not take away the merit of the proposal.

I couldn't agree more with Mritunjaya , if Sanskrit is made official language of India it will benefit us a lot and remove the language barriers all over India.Since Sanskrit is the base for all Indian-European languages.

Its unlikely to help in real term but sometimes hindi speaking puritans who show no respect towards regional language need to be shown their place...

I remember in one NDTV debate, a hindi speaker started speaking in hindi even though it was English channel... and kani (now accused in 2g scam) ...started speaking in tamil... :lol:
When Mulayalam was CM of UP and Nanyar was CM of Kerala.........Mulayalam Asked for Some Information from Kerala and the Letter to CM of Kerala was written in Hindi.........Kerala CM replied to That letter in Malayalam......................

We Demand for Malayalam..............This Language can give Indian Union 100 % Literacy..........

Back
Top Bottom