What's new

BJP MP from Uttarakhand seeks official status for Tamil

It was never forced as the efforts were pre-empted. Else it would have started with all the exams for the govt. positions replaced with Hindi language instead of English language and many of the South Indians would have lost out.

Please,even today most Central Govt exam guys learn Hindi.

I dont see this possibly.

I think they would have made Hindi compulsory in Schools,but not mandatory for giving an exam.

I studied CBSE, which is the most common curriculum. The books almost did not cover south or north east.

Thats true.

CBSE books have fair amount South Indian history.

Far from enough.

So much of Mughal history.

Yeah i am surprised too,because most Tamils in Srilanka speak Sinhalese.

And I thought you were a man :)

Like most of the activist turned politicians, they did have their ideals when they started out. But politics eventually had the better of them. But some times it is for the better. It tones down some of the radical views that can be harmful for a harmonious society.

Apart from that, our history books all but ignore south india. So the rest of Indians grow up having a very narrow view of south Indians.

I respect Periyar for having the courage to talk and he was having a proper dialogue even with those he opposed but none of the others,they are all scavengers who ll eat any bone they get to swallow.

Why Tamils on this forum talk against Hindi? You live in India so you have to respect your national language of your country, Hindi right?

Hindi is not the national language . That is why .

Yeah i am surprised too,because most Tamils in Srilanka speak Sinhalese.

90% + can speak Sinhala in Sri Lanka. Less speakers in terrorism effected areas but they will learn it automatically coz of mixing. But Tamils have difficulties in pronunciation, in Tamil they do not have some letters.

Hindi is not the national language . That is why .

I meant the official language of whole India. I don't see a huge difference between "official" and "National" languages, but the majority's native language of that country automatically become that country's official/national language.

Please,even today most Central Govt exam guys learn Hindi.

I dont see this possibly.

I think they would have made Hindi compulsory in Schools,but not mandatory for giving an exam.

This is today after the constitution was altered to accomodate Hindi and English medium of exams for Central Govt positions. But when the constitution was formulated, under articles 343 and 351 there was a plan to phase out English 15 years from then and have hindi the only medium of communication for central government. If not for these blatant imposition, TN would have accepted the 3 language formula in 1960s when Congress tried to bring in 3 language formula and lost big time to DMK and once for all thrown out of TN.

Even Rajaji, who in 1930s as CM for Madras Province was for Hindi-only medium later changed stance and led an All-India Language Conference with other language representatives and opposed imposition of Hindi.

Under the initiative of Rajagopalachari and All India Language Conference was held in 1958 wherein Frank Anthony stated : "The new Hindi today is a symbol of language chauvanism, and worst of all, it is a symbol of oppression of the minority languages." Rajagopalachari, once the supporter of the promotion of Hindi to the official and national status, declared "Hindi is as much as foreign language to the non-Hindi speaking people as English to the protagonists of Hindi". This conference brought together political leaders of diverse orientations, "ranging from Marxism to Dravidianism" (Das Gupta : 193) A resolution was passed in the Conference that English be continued as the Union language without any time limit.

Untitled Document

This is today after the constitution was altered to accomodate Hindi and English medium of exams for Central Govt positions. But when the constitution was formulated, under articles 343 and 351 there was a plan to phase out English 15 years from then and have hindi the only medium of communication for central government. If not for these blatant imposition, TN would have accepted the 3 language formula in 1960s when Congress tried to bring in 3 language formula and lost big time to DMK and once for all thrown out of TN.

Even Rajaji, who in 1930s as CM for Madras Province was for Hindi-only medium later changed stance and led an All-India Language Conference with other language representatives and opposed imposition of Hindi.

Under the initiative of Rajagopalachari and All India Language Conference was held in 1958 wherein Frank Anthony stated : "The new Hindi today is a symbol of language chauvanism, and worst of all, it is a symbol of oppression of the minority languages." Rajagopalachari, once the supporter of the promotion of Hindi to the official and national status, declared "Hindi is as much as foreign language to the non-Hindi speaking people as English to the protagonists of Hindi". This conference brought together political leaders of diverse orientations, "ranging from Marxism to Dravidianism" (Das Gupta : 193) A resolution was passed in the Conference that English be continued as the Union language without any time limit.

Untitled Document

Congress was not thrown out because of that.

Kerala has accepted the formula and they do better than us in preserving the language.

I don't see any insecurity amongst them like Malayalam Ini Mella chaagum and things like that.

Even fourth and fifth generation mallus speak Malayalam unlike our kids ready to say mummy daddy.

And I don't understand emotional decisions about serious topics.

I don't believe an iyengar like rajaji would agree for a Hindi only medium,those people are proper tamil folks and I have read his mahabharatam and ramayanam in Kalki magazine in my paatis house,not believable for me.

Russian professor speaking tamil fluently great. Hats off to you..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom