What's new

Betrayed, Arabized

well Muse, you seem to have a growing fan base of saffron coloured you-know-whos.....im not sure how i'd feel about that!

Why? What wrong did he say? There's been a recent article written by a Pakistani on being Arabized. Many people of your country regret this on the lines of what Muse has said. He's trying to correct a mistake and you're now accusing him to be a saffron agent.

Which means you're actually proud of Arabization. I personally recommended that in my opinion, Pakistan should have made Arabic their national language rather than Urdu which in itself is a mixture of Persian, Pushto, Sanskrit and Arabic. Having a language that is not just of your religion but also that of your peer would mean that you'd be a more homogenized society with greater peace as well as a good strategic connection between you and the oil-rich Arab sheikhdoms. Think about how Pakistan would have benefited from being completely Arabized. You'd probably been like Malaysia or Brunei if not like Dubai or Manama. Still there is an opportunity to undo that mistake and start all over again. It is usually during troubled times like these that drastic changes come and can be made.

As someone who wants to look at it rationally (rather than in terms of faith), what is the difference?
The 'difference' should be obvious to you in that the individuals you are discussing this with recognize that their faith has been distorted and perverted.

The 'difference' is that most of us don't accept the current distortions of faith that are promoting intolerance and violence, and would like to see Islam's original message of peace, respect, justice and equality be implemented across the Muslim world.

Why? What wrong did he say? There's been a recent article written by a Pakistani on being Arabized. Many people of your country regret this on the lines of what Muse has said. He's trying to correct a mistake and you're now accusing him to be a saffron agent.

Which means you're actually proud of Arabization. I personally recommended that in my opinion, Pakistan should have made Arabic their national language rather than Urdu which in itself is a mixture of Persian, Pushto, Sanskrit and Arabic. Having a language that is not just of your religion but also that of your peer would mean that you'd be a more homogenized society with greater peace as well as a good strategic connection between you and the oil-rich Arab sheikhdoms. Think about how Pakistan would have benefited from being completely Arabized. You'd probably been like Malaysia or Brunei if not like Dubai or Manama. Still there is an opportunity to undo that mistake and start all over again. It is usually during troubled times like these that drastic changes come and can be made.

What is Arabization? How is Pakistan being Arabized? How do you reach this conclusion, after seeing what have you made this assumption?

All of this has been answered in previous posts.

Stop regurgitating the same thing without attempting to respond to the counter-arguments already made. You and Muse appear to share that disingenuous trait.

The 'difference' should be obvious to you in that the individuals you are discussing this with recognize that their faith has been distorted and perverted.

The 'difference' is that most of us don't accept the current distortions of faith that are promoting intolerance and violence, and would like to see Islam's original message of peace, respect, justice and equality be implemented across the Muslim world.

Indeed.

And not just the Muslim world, but we wish for peace, respect, justice and equality for ALL across the globe.

Indeed.

And not just the Muslim world, but we wish for peace, respect, justice and equality for ALL across the globe.

Of course, but my response was in the context of Vinod's anti-Islam/anti-Arab diatribes ...

You have yourself answered it.

Only this time it is just "rather sad" while earlier it was Jahiliyah!

In fact, a "self proclaimed imposter prophet" (which he must have seemed to those who opposed him, as someone making similar claims would seem to many now) and his followers would be "persecuted and hunted for propagating a new religion" more now than then.

So what is the difference again?

PS: In fact one could argue that this intolerance is more institutionalized now than it ever was, ever could be pre Jahiliyah.

lol @ the khwamkha ki takleef with the word Jahiliyah, would "ignorant" sound less bad which is commonly slapped by western commentators on the rest of the world even today? Jahiliyah has the same context btw. The difference here is that by large there is an understanding what we're doing wrong is wrong... It just goes to show that improvement is always mandatory.

Of course, but my response was in the context of Vinod's anti-Islam/anti-Arab diatribes ...

I want to point out that there is no anti-ANYBODY in Islam. Allah in His infinite wisdom, chose NOT to make us all the same, in looks, culture, and even religion. Thus, being against anyone of His creations, to me, is na'uzobillah questioning His wisdom.

We all should keep this thought in mind.

In fact in Pakistan many of these 'Jahilliyah' practices are a result of a male dominated society and regressive cultural norms distorting religion to justify 'regressive practices', rather than religion distorting cultural norms.

At this point, let's keep it to the religious persecution part that you brought up as a justification for claiming that it was a 'intolerant and barbaric society'.

I would have to say that that kind of intolerance has only increased now and become more institutionalized and justified by religion. A new "prophet" and his supporters are likely to face much more hardship today, especially in an Islamic society.

And no, that doesn't come from "regressive cultural norms".

But the point, in response to your earlier post, was that the customs/culture of pre-Islam Arabia were in fact reflective of 'intolerance and barbarism', which you sought to deny.

I talked about the supposed inferior status of women in pre Islamic society as one example that is frequently cited.

You talked about "religious intolerance" which has only increased, not decreased.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I would agree that this "individual" thinks that way and some more also think that way as well.

One could well argue that there would have been "moderate people" then as well.

Great thoughts. Has it ever been a reality?

I want to point out that there is no anti-ANYBODY in Islam. Allah in His infinite wisdom, chose NOT to make us all the same, in looks, culture, and even religion. Thus, being against anyone of His creations, to me, is na'uzobillah questioning His wisdom.

We all should keep this thought in mind.

Here's a doozie, to say what Allah's infinite wisdom means is equating yourself with Allah and its also Haraam :D

Lol its never ending.

So be comfortable with the questions keep an open mind that there just may be explanations that you're not privy to yet, maybe you're supposed to be anti-this and that, maybe not. Questions would come to you, you were made that way, answers not always. There is plenty wrong with everything in this world, it would also be wrong to not question all the time and re-evaluate everything.

Change is the only constant.

I'm done with cliches.

Here's a doozie, to say what Allah's infinite wisdom means is equating yourself with Allah and its also Haraam :D

Lol its never ending.

So be comfortable with the questions keep an open mind that there just may be explanations that you're not privy to yet, maybe you're supposed to be anti-this and that, maybe not. Questions would come to you, you were made that way, answers not always. There is plenty wrong with everything in this world, it would also be wrong to not question all the time and re-evaluate everything.

Change is the only constant.

I'm done with cliches.

Good words AA.

I am known for having an open mind, so open that my doctor can see in one ear and out the other, with only air inside! :D

lol @ the khwamkha ki takleef with the word Jahiliyah, would "ignorant" sound less bad which is commonly slapped by western commentators on the rest of the world even today? Jahiliyah has the same context btw. The difference here is that by large there is an understanding what we're doing wrong is wrong... It just goes to show that improvement is always mandatory.

Yes, you think it is wrong because the society is not "secular enough", others think it is wrong because the society is not "Islamic enough".

Your diagnosis is probably correct, the "ilaaz" of this "marz" has no common agreement.

At this point, let's keep it to the religious persecution part that you brought up as a justification for claiming that it was a 'intolerant and barbaric society'.
"Religious persecution' was brought up in support of other arguments of 'regressive cultural norms' pre-Islam that you sought to deny - they are part of the argument, and therefore the regressive cultural practices of South Asia that have used religion and distorted religion are in fact relevant to the argument since they support the position that it is not religion but man and cultural norms that are the issue.

I would have to say that that kind of intolerance has only increased now and become more institutionalized and justified by religion. A new "prophet" and his supporters are likely to face much more hardship today, especially in an Islamic society.
It has been 'institutionalized' because of the concept of nation states and strong central governments/authorities that support particular interpretations of religion, it has not become institutionalized because of the faith, but because of those who choose to distort it to maintain power and ensure that their regressive cultural/social views continue to be dominant.

I talked about the supposed inferior status of women in pre Islamic society as one example that is frequently cited.

You talked about "religious intolerance" which has only increased, not decreased.
I used my example of religious intolerance in pre-Islam Arabia to support the argument of other regressive social practices that you sought to deny.

I would agree that this "individual" thinks that way and some more also think that way as well.

One could well argue that there would have been "moderate people" then as well.
Sure, just as I am sure not all Indians are 'Islam/Pakistan haters and baiters' like you, and no no retraction from me on what I said earlier - I have followed your posts for a long time now and your hatred for Islam/Pakistan is pretty obvious. Deny it all you want, but that is who you are. You were in fact banned the last time around for such rants, though you have displayed more self-control this time.
Great thoughts. Has it ever been a reality?
Muslim historians would argue it was during the first four Caliphates, and today's Turkey would be another good example.

But societies and nations are run by people, not Angels, and people are inherently flawed and diverse, and therefore societies and States are always going to be flawed and never perfect. All people can do is continue to argue in favor of improvements and change in society and government, as flaws continue to be identified.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Yes, you think it is wrong because the society is not "secular enough", others think it is wrong because the society is not "Islamic enough".

Your diagnosis is probably correct, the "ilaaz" os this "marz" has no common agreement.
The argument itself is flawed - it should not be a question of 'Secular State vs Theocratic State', but of what kinds of values we wish to see implemented in our State and society - equality, justice and freedom for all.

Getting caught up in the 'Secular vs theocratic' argument only hardens positions on both sides and prevents meaningful discussion and reform of the existing State structure, within the existing ideological boundaries.

How the heck can Pakistan become like Malaysia if they were completely Arabized?

Our economic progress and wealth didn't come because we followed the Arab life-style, it came because our great 4th prime minister, Dr.Mahathir Mohammed gave far more importance on economic progress and education of it's citizens rather than trying to adapt some foreign language and culture.

Back
Top Bottom