What's new

Best heavy lift helicopter

i think mi 26 is more better than chinkook and china will soon come with a new design of mi 26 in future

there is a huge difference between the size of both

aa28115d822f6c4822d7d6a4ac3a4c8b.jpg

Mil Mi-26 recovering an American CH-47 Chinook helicopter

take a look at this monster!:woot:

Mil V-12 : 231,485 lb (105,000 kg)

5b05846b3faf403123c661dd95a1bdcb.jpg

The largest helicopter ever built was a massive aircraft developed in the Soviet Union during the 1960s called the Mil V-12. The V-12 was a rather unusual test vehicle that featured two rotors mounted side by side at the ends of a large wing. Each rotor had a diameter of nearly 115 ft (35 m). The helicopter was so enormous that the distance from the edge of one rotor disk to the other was almost 220 ft (67 m), even wider across than the wingspan of a Boeing 747!

the Mil-17 is the most durable medium lift helo and its use is wide spread.

the Mil-26 may be "big" but it has not been a commercial success because of its size and cumbersome manoevourability.

the Chinook CH-47 is a very successful platform.

so in the end it depends on the operational requirements of the army and airforce.

PA is seeking clearance for 8-10 ex-italian CH-47 which will be upgraded before delivery.

we r talkin about heavy lifter dude before u post read the subject of the thread and CH 49 nuts infront of MI 26 and who says it is not succes

CZESH REPUBLIC
INDIA
VEEZUELA
RUSSIA
UKRAINE
UN FORCES
ETC

Uses them

Etc??????????????? Thats a very vague term :disagree:

Comparatively the Mi26 is not as successful as the CH47 which would be a more advantageous platform as it can perform heavy lift duties and as NATO are demonstrating in Afghanistan as a good assault platform.

Useful input as ever.

Could you explain your choice as to why and not just because country x bought it

because MI 26 carries more troops and weight than CH 49 and is single rotar

Personally I'd like to see Mi26s in service with the PAF acting in a dedicated heavy lift role only and CH47s with the AAC in a more multirole use to include air assault.

BTW its CH47 not CH49

we r talkin about heavy lifter dude before u post read the subject of the thread and CH 49 nuts infront of MI 26 and who says it is not succes

CZESH REPUBLIC
INDIA
VEEZUELA
RUSSIA
UKRAINE
UN FORCES
ETC

Uses them

super falcon - in the first instance dont call or address me as "dude" - you dont know me at all - secondly my post fits the heading quite well - preach but dont teach!

give respect to get respect!

Talking of some of the best heavy lift helicopters, i think MI-17, and US origin CH-47 or CH-53 Stallions are among the best.

MI-17 is rugged and reliable, yet it is having limited airfarme life. only 1500 hours, when it is due for completre overhaul. This helicopter can only be overhauled once as it has airframe retirement life of 3000 hours.

On the other hand, American helicopters have no definite overhaul or service life. This is a big considerable factor for sustainability of the fleet.

MI-26 is a unique helo, not fit for use in all conditions. Due to its huge size, it requires special taxiways, parking areas, and maintenance hangers. I can say here, that this helo may be operated from international airports in Pakistan yet, airfields used by Army are not designed to cater for this sircarft. Inducting, even few helos require massive infrastructural changes and modifications at aviation bases to adapt to this helicopter operations which, i certainly think is not adviseable.

Last edited:
Talking of some of the best heavy lift helicopters, i think MI-17, and US origin CH-47 or CH-53 Stallions are among the best.

MI-17 is rugged and reliable, yet it is having limited airfarme life. only 1500 hours, when it is due for completre overhaul. This helicopter ca only be overhaule once as it has airframe retirement life of 3000 hours.

On the other hand, American helicopters have no definite overhaul or service life. This is a big considerable factor for sustainability of the fleet.

MI-26 is a unique helo, not fit for use in all conditions. Due to its huge size, it requires special taxiways, parking areas, and maintenance hangers. I can say here, that this helo may be operated from international airports in Pakistan yet, airfiels used by Army are not designed to cater for this sircarft. Inducting, even few helos require massive infrastructural changes and modifications at aviation bases to adapt to this helicopter operations which, i certainly think is not adviseable.

people may not remember but in 1969, 1 Mi-26 was given to Pakistan by the soviets to test it under rugged mountain conditions in kashmir. it failed miserably and crashed.

people may not remember but in 1969, 1 Mi-26 was given to Pakistan by the soviets to test it under rugged mountain conditions in kashmir. it failed miserably and crashed.

things have changed from 1969 ...... ch-47 is used by large no of countries due to the fact that it can cater well for a wide number of roles but mi-26 is for special roles alone and will not be used very often :azn:

:cheers:

fatman i always given u respect if u dont like when i say u dude than i will take my words back

super falcon - in the first instance dont call or address me as "dude" - you dont know me at all - secondly my post fits the heading quite well - preach but dont teach!

give respect to get respect!

I totally agree especially the highlighted part.

It seems some here are interested in teaching something to the others. The only problem is they don't know what to teach. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom