What's new

Beijing opens 5 new subway lines amid gridlock woes – AFP

Pakchina

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BEIJING (AFP) – China’s capital Beijing on Thursday opened five new subway lines stretching into the suburbs — additions the city hopes will help ease its infamous traffic jams, deemed the world’s worst this year.

The new routes add 108 kilometres (67 miles) to the capital’s metro rail network, bringing the total to 336 kilometres, the official Xinhua news agency said.

The additions to the network — which carries about five million passengers a day — cost more than nine billion dollars, the report said.

Officials in Beijing are battling chronic gridlock and air pollution — both of which rate as among the world’s worst — and the problems are getting worse as the city’s increasingly wealthy citizens want to buy their own cars.

Last week, the city government announced new restrictions that will allow 240,000 new passenger cars registered in Beijing next year — a third of the number that hit the roads in 2010.

China has also scrapped a tax cut on small passenger cars put in place as part of a massive stimulus package introduced to combat the global financial crisis. The purchase tax will be set at 10 percent from January 1.

I always thought Delhi had the worst traffic management, I was surprised Beijing has trouble managing a third of cars as delhi.
Delhi should also cap the number of cars on roads, iirc they sell 900 new cars per day in Delhi.

I always thought Delhi had the worst traffic management, I was surprised Beijing has trouble managing a third of cars as delhi.
Delhi should also cap the number of cars on roads, iirc they sell 900 new cars per day in Delhi.

congratulations to china. i m sure this will help reduce pollution aswell as continue good growth in beijing:cheers:

what you talking about? beijing has been ranked as having the worst traffic(not safety but wait time) of any city in the world several times, also Delhi has like ~2 million cars, beijing has 4.7 million

No Full Stops in Dilli? - The Times of India

Beijing to limit number of new car license plates to ease traffic congestion

I always thought Delhi had the worst traffic management, I was surprised Beijing has trouble managing a third of cars as delhi.Delhi should also cap the number of cars on roads, iirc they sell 900 new cars per day in Delhi.

Well, I don't want to boast about the number of cars in Beijing, because I think Chinese government should feel ashamed of encouraging people to own so many cars before coming up with a sound plan to curb the worsening traffic in Bejing.

But I am very curious how you get the information that Beijing has only a third of cars as Delhi.

what you talking about? beijing has been ranked as having the worst traffic(not safety but wait time) of any city in the world several times, also Delhi has like ~2 million cars, beijing has 4.7 million

No Full Stops in Dilli? - The Times of India

Beijing to limit number of new car license plates to ease traffic congestion
the TOI link is of 2004

n the beijing link is dec 2010,,,

according to Jan 2010 link delhi has 4 million cars ,,>>
What is the answer to Delhi's traffic woes? - Rediff.com Business

so they are appr same...

Back
Top Bottom