What's new

Beijing lays claim to South Korean waters

LOL, are you that nauseated that I am following you and that I am interested in the Korean perspective? If you haven't noticed it dude, you are the only Korean member in this forum. As for Japanese there is myself and two others @yoshi.oda and @Sakura_Kaigun , but other than that -- we are not as numerous as our 중국어 친구 in here. :)

Anyways, whether you like it or not I am curious in always knowing the Korean perspective, as is the case in the Japanese-Korean relationship; you may not want to be involved with Japan, but the Japanese will ALWAYS want to have a say or at least have a better understanding of the Korean perspective.

Admittingly, there is almost an obsession in Japanese perspective in knowing Korea and Korean more. It is more subtle than our interest for China. I hope that one day you will be more open with me, less aggressive, and cordial.

Till then, i shall expect better rapport with you, Korean buddy.

@sEoulman556

freehugs2014.jpg

No, not just peace, I want you to like me. Korean buddy. ;)

Okay, okay, i can understand the Yasukuni Shrine issue, since that is an issue that the Chugokojin seem to also be sensitive about. That's understandable, given the level of brutality the Imperial Army leveled on the Chinese during the war. But for Korea? You know that millions of Korean men were conscripted into the Imperial Army , served in the same Army, right? In fact hundreds of thousands of Korean men and women who died under the banner of the Rising Sun are resting in Yasukuni. The dead whose names are honored there are not just ethnic Japanese, but also include Korean, Taiwanese, Indian, and even Malays and other Asian peoples.

Second, about the South Korean Territory being claimed; you know that the Chinese , too, claim much of your maritime territory, yes? So why so partial towards Japan?
No...He isnt the only one Korean in this forum...Before long there is a S.Korean having his birthday...
You should pay more attention.If you search things relevant to S.Korea you will find some S.Korean members.
I still remember during the time when I first came in this forum.You told me you only hate S.Korea(눈_눈)

the Japanese will ALWAYS want to have a say or at least have a better understanding of the Korean perspective.

Admittingly, there is almost an obsession in Japanese perspective in knowing Korea and Korean more. It is more subtle than our interest for China.

I think it comes from Japanese nostalgic memory of Japan's half a century brutal occupation of Korea . Germany is totally changed while Japan is still that fascist evil guy in the core.

Japan as one of the Fascist evil axis country , if it had done what Germany did after their surrender, China, Japan and Korea would certainly be on good friendly terms as Germany , France and UK are. but Japan chose not to repent and their top leaders frequently pay visit to that international war criminal shrine. do you think UK and France would like be friends of Germany if German politicians regularly honor Nazi war criminals?

Beijing lays claim to South Korean waters
China pushing to expand border at Korea's expense
By Julian ryall, Tokyo
5:05AM GMT 23 Dec 2015

China is demanding that South Korea cede a large portion of its exclusive economic zone in the Yellow Sea to Beijing, including a submerged sea mount named Ieo that hosts a Korean marine research facility.

Officials of the two nations opened talks on the issue in Seoul on Tuesday, although recent claims by China that the sea mount falls within Chinese waters and should be known as Suyan Rock are causing concern.

Beijing's military have already effectively seized control of a number of reefs and shoals in the South China Sea, ignoring claims to the islands and their surrounding waters by Vietnam and the Philippines.

China is also becoming increasingly aggressive in the number and frequency of incursions by ships and aircraft into waters around Japan's Senkaku Islands, which Beijing claims are historically Chinese territory and should be known as the Diaoyu islands.

Analysts say China is attempting to push its sea borders further away from its own coastline as it stretches its new-found economic and military might in the Western Pacific.

China and South Korea have built closer economic and diplomatic ties in recent years, but any claim against Korean waters could set that relationship back.

During their discussions, the Chinese side proposed that the problem of overlapping exclusive economic zones in the Yellow Sea should be solved by the demarcation line being moved to the east, closer to the Korean coast, on the grounds that China is larger, has a bigger population and a longer coastline than South Korea.

Under Beijing's proposal, the Ieo sea mount - first charted by the British merchant vessel Socotra in 1900 and initially named Socotra Rock - would fall under Chinese control. The feature is 93 miles from the Korean coast and 178 miles from China.

Seoul's position is that the demarcation line should lie half-way between the two nations' coastlines, as is considered the international norm.

Cho Tae-yul, the South Korean vice foreign minister, told reporters after the meeting that further talks will be held, but that discussions would be "difficult and lengthy".

Beijing lays claim to South Korean waters - Telegraph

Talk about misrepresenting the facts. EEZ are not territorial water, as such it's never Korean's water to begin with. Chinese proposal is based on its continental shelf, weighted for size of the continent as allowed in UNCLOS, while Korea position is based on equal distance. More interestingly, Korean's EEZ claim against Japan however is based on continental shelf instead of equal distance. So everyone is basically doing what's best to maximize their interest as both demarcation method come out of UNCLOS.

A compromise will need to be reached, while the mount itself is of little significance. What's more important is a fishery agreement that allow open fishing in both side's EEZ as it has been historically so.

Stupid Chinese claims, these claims will back fire and will do damage to China.

You missed something. China considers everything within the 9 line as own territory, islands and waters. Have you forgotten the Chinese government deployed an oil rig last year into our EEZ boundary because of the claim? the Chinese said the oil rig operated in their waters. That is 90 percent of the sea.

How is it Vietnam's EEZ when the oil rig was just 17nm miles away from the Triton island? Because Vietnam claims so? Under the same principle, Chinese claims that to be its own EEZ. Understand the difference between that and territorial water?

I think it comes from Japanese nostalgic memory of Japan's half a century brutal occupation of Korea . Germany is totally changed while Japan is still that fascist evil guy in the core.

Japan as one of the Fascist evil axis country , if it had done what Germany did after their surrender, China, Japan and Korea would certainly be on good friendly terms as Germany , France and UK are. but Japan chose not to repent and their top leaders frequently pay visit to that international war criminal shrine. do you think UK and France would like be friends of Germany if German politicians regularly honor Nazi war criminals?

Germany current government has zero association with the past Nazi war criminals, as such they can objectively look at the past deeds of the Nazi government. Not gonna happen in Japan, as its fascist government came out of the war pretty much intact, in such their legitimacy today is attached to that past. Abe's grandfather for one was a key leader in Japanese occupation of Manchuria, and responsible for taking thousands of Chinese and Korean as slave to Japanese factories, and he later become the prime minister of Japan under US shelter. If anyone remember the outrage against Mussolini's granddaughter, in Japan, that would be a common occurrence.

How is it Vietnam's EEZ when the oil rig was just 17nm miles away from the Triton island? Because Vietnam claims so? Under the same principle, Chinese claims that to be its own EEZ. Understand the difference between that and territorial water?

Germany current government has zero association with the past Nazi war criminals, as such they can objectively look at the past deeds of the Nazi government. Not gonna happen in Japan, as its fascist government came out of the war pretty much intact, in such their legitimacy today is attached to that past. Abe's grandfather for one was a key leader in Japanese occupation of Manchuria, and responsible for taking thousands of Chinese and Korean as slave to Japanese factories, and he later become the prime minister of Japan under US shelter. If anyone remember the outrage against Mussolini's granddaughter, in Japan, that would be a common occurrence.

Japan simply must let go of her inglorious past in order to establish better relations with her neighbors.

China invaded into Paracels of Vietnam in 1974 with force, occupation of China is illegal.

Now that China is in negotiation with the South Koreans just look at these morons here all trying to get involved in this discussion as if it even concerns Vietnam and The Philippines. The Chinese and the Koreans have always had good relations since ancient times to present day. I'm sure we can work things out and both parties will benefit greatly from it after solving some issues. Japan on the other hand :disagree: , everybody knows it has territorial disputes with China,South Korea and Russia. As long Japan doesn't behave properly it will never improve ties with her neighbors.

In negotiation, you put down your own view and the other sides put down their own view. In the end, as we agreed, a mutual win-win solution will be accept. Beside this sources coming from the Japanese makes it questionable to begin with.

Hegemonic Warfare Watch: China rolls the border towards Korea
Wednesday, December 23, 2015

PP Candidate Tsai Ing-wen promises a No Provocations, No Surprises policy with China, but what will Beijing do? The annexation via economic integration proceeds apace, with the Ministry of Economic Affairs promising to fast trackcarefully scrutinize the deal under which a Chinese firm buys into key Taiwan semiconductor industry firms in the latest example of that...

But then, we may be lucky that China already treats Taiwan as a satrapy of Beijing, so it doesn't mess with the territory. Today news came out that China has told Korea it wants the marine border rolled back 100 kilometers towards Korea...
During their discussions, the Chinese side proposed that the problem of overlapping exclusive economic zones in the Yellow Sea should be solved by the demarcation line being moved to the east, closer to the Korean coast, on the grounds that China is larger, has a bigger population and a longer coastline than South Korea.

Under Beijing's proposal, the Ieo sea mount - first charted by the British merchant vessel Socotra in 1900 and initially named Socotra Rock - would fall under Chinese control. The feature is 93 miles from the Korean coast and 178 miles from China.

Seoul's position is that the demarcation line should lie half-way between the two nations' coastlines, as is considered the international norm.I can't imagine what Beijing is thinking, pushing South Korea to make common cause with Taiwan and Japan, especially when it enjoys excellent relations with South Korea.

The View from Taiwan: Hegemonic Warfare Watch: China rolls the border towards Korea

Back
Top Bottom