What's new

Before Rafale deal, Modi govt passed over option to buy Rs 453 cr/unit cheaper Eurofighter

even europeans find hard to maintain Typhoon ..
someone is even trying to sell it off..

The main problem is the Tranche I aircraft.
The Typhoon was redesigned so much that it is highly incompatible with the Tranche II/III,
so any development for the latter cannot be used for Tranche I.
Tranche I aircrafts cannot be upgraded to Tranche II or III cost effectively.

The Eurofighter consortium should have reviewed the pricing before India made the decision.
Also, Congress should have signed the agreement when they were in power...
They insisted on unacceptable terms, which killed the deal,

The difference in price per unit is most probably due to the order quantity. But one should question the rationale behind ordering the lower quantity. India needed those jets and the IAF is now set to issue a second multibillion dollar tender. So it will still be spending the money, but get a complex logistics situation, lower performance jets and pay a higher per unit price.

Looks like another Modi blunder!
nope, lot of pockets needed to be fiilled
this is not so uncommon on our side of the boarder too, its just not well publiczed
we do know what happen in agosta deal, mirage2000 supposedly deal and so son

The difference in price per unit is most probably due to the order quantity. But one should question the rationale behind ordering the lower quantity. India needed those jets and the IAF is now set to issue a second multibillion dollar tender. So it will still be spending the money, but get a complex logistics situation, lower performance jets and pay a higher per unit price.

Looks like another Modi blunder!

The issue is what you dont see....fools grasping for answers in the dark....when the details are kept secret on purpose...

The issue is what you dont see....fools grasping for answers in the dark....when the details are kept secret on purpose...

If you have any information to support your point, please share it. Otherwise, it looks more like a case of fools convincing themselves of some future miracle.

The issue is not what we don't see, but really of what Indians seeing things that aren't just there.

Last edited:
I reckon the Rafale deal has political elements embedded within it.
Remember the French have a veto at the UNSC and having them be vested in India is probably an ulterior motive.
This given that India currently doesn’t fully trust the US to throw its weight in the US camp, and the fact that the US veto comes with strings attached aka anti Iran stance.

Rafale was the right choice IMO from that perspective.

French offer better kickbacks. Whether that was one of the motivations for Rafale or not I do not know; but it was definitely not the only consideration - as the Rafale is formidable! And does everything IAF needs it to do.

we chose rafale before Modi came right? this who competition started with previous govt and went too long, am just happy that they finally did a deal...
Military hardware acquisition has political element to it, we dont have to buy the best aircraft or best value aircraft, its ultimately a political decision.

we chose rafale before Modi came right? this who competition started with previous govt and went too long, am just happy that they finally did a deal...
Military hardware acquisition has political element to it, we dont have to buy the best aircraft or best value aircraft, its ultimately a political decision.

Yep! It was selected long before Modi came! And even when Modi finalized the deal, it was a government to government deal -- unless the opposition imply that somehow the French government is also involved in the scandal! And it wasn't even up to Modi to give the contract to Ambani's; it was entirely the decision made by Rafale to go with Reliance as the local partner!

On topic I am pained at how Congress is clutching at the straws -- just to create a scandal where there is NONE! Not only are they diverting attention but also undermining the confidence of India's defense partners.

For OEM's, India will remain a major landmine site when it comes to major defense deals. No matter how transparent the deals are made, you are always going to get dragged in the muck of partisan politics!

Back
Top Bottom