What's new

'Beef Festival' in India Sets Off Outrage and Misogyny

The whole beef taboo got somewhat attached to the mainstream religion somewhere along the line of history...

Don't you think that is how Indian religions are...evolve with time, pick up new customs, shed some and just lumber on. ?

Right now, as if from atleast few centuries before, slaughter of cow is a taboo and till Hindus themselves, all of them voluntarily shed it, others need not advise us what to do.

nobody cares much on following the religion as it meant to be but when someone else from another community eats something of their choice, it suddenly becomes sensitive issue

This is why I said, how most Keralites feel about cow slaughter is different from what the majority thinks elsewhere. And why Mallus arguing this topic would get us no where :D

Visit the Coimbatore campuses when back home.. atleast the PSG. which is near to ur home.

No way dude. Beer festival with the cognizance of the college management ? You are talking about PSG CAS ? The idiots sometimes reduce internals when they see the students smoking in front of them.

Tell me more about the festival..

Was people from all over the country invited or was it a strictly inside campus affair?

Does that matter. AFAIK from the day the festival was announced, there was opposition. They knew very well that people will be enraged, even then they moved ahead. They wanted violence and coverage and they got that.

The whole idea behind this festival was to incite violence and they did that.

The idea was to take the steam off the Telengana protests for which Osmania was the hotbed and "they" have suceeded in dividing the agitators into religious/social groups.

Who is the "they", figure it out.

Don't you think that is how Indian religions are...evolve with time, pick up new customs, shed some and just lumber on. ?

Evolving into making things a Taboo.???

Right now, as if from atleast few centuries before, slaughter of cow is a taboo and till Hindus themselves, all ofthem voluntarily shed it, others need not advise us what to do.

Cows was a essential way of livelihood for 90% of population until very recently. Even i had a cow in my paternal homes. But the sacred animal is nowadays seen in cow farms only where machine has taken over many of mans work.

There were only gender differentiation. Bulls were whipped in carts and in fields and were consumed.

This is why I said, how most Keralites feel about cow slaughter is different from what the majority thinks elsewhere.

Hyderabad has Muslim majority or muslim majority areas (atleast its Osmania university).

why not let them have their freedom and thoughts i there.??

or is it once a majority its everywhere majority like the infamous BLASPHEMY rules.

No way dude. Beer festival with the cognizance of the college management ? You are talking about PSG CAS ? The idiots sometimes reduce internals when they see the students smoking in front of them.

Managements. duck managements.. students rules.

Students shouldnt smoke ....their aim is to improve life, lear ,... blah blah blahss...:partay:

Right now, as if from atleast few centuries before, slaughter of cow is a taboo and till Hindus themselves, all of them voluntarily shed it, others need not advise us what to do.

This is why I said, how most Keralites feel about cow slaughter is different from what the majority thinks elsewhere. And why Mallus arguing this topic would get us no where :D

bro just get this thread closed ..... as iam new to forum i dont know the procedure... well cows are holy for me.... and this thread is disturbing me

The idea was to take the steam off the Telengana protests for which Osmania was the hotbed and "they" have suceeded in dividing the agitators into religious/social groups.

Who is the "they", figure it out.

Kancha Illiah

Ok lets call it a day.

The issue is debatable, but my views maybe unacceptable to many.

Beef or no beef. The BIG mAc gonna stay.

The 192 other countries citizens who consumes /been consuming beef since all these centuries are as dear to god as u and me.

So Peace.:wub:

Good night to all people in India standard time. Bye to others.

Evolving into making things a Taboo.???

May Happen. One of the possibility.

Hindus have always worshipped the cow as a divine incarnation [Kamadhenu] and it is not impossible that they might have held religious for them.

Another theory is that these feelings got exacerbated after the Islamic invasions of India and the need to protect your identity. Just like how in times of riots Hindus tie "mango leaves" in the front door or draw Swastika on their walls.

There were only gender differentiation. Bulls were whipped in carts and in fields and were consumed.

As far as I know Bulls were considered a divine incarnation of Lord Nandi and were worshipped too.
But nowadays most of the beef that is available in market is beef from bull only.

Hyderabad has Muslim majority or muslim majority areas (atleast its Osmania university).

or is it once a majority its everywhere majority like the infamous BLASPHEMY rules.

It's nowhere said in their scriptures that to be a Muslim you have to eat beef. Like I said it is moreof a cultural issue for them which I also believe started after the Islamic invasions of India. The need to show that they are different from cow-worshipping Hindus. it might have started as a symbolic gesture by the invaders in those times - slaughtering cows and it might have got rooted after that.

By comparing with the Blasphemy law you have done a great injustice to the topic in hand, IMO.

Big Mac never tells what is in the sauce. pork is in the sauce. its in the details :-) like your favourite pepperoni vegitable peoples...
There is hardly anyone in the world who has not had pork in one form or another
Remember the tablets you get with US aid

In US horse slaughter for food is banned.

Anyone knows how it originated ? ;)

In US horse slaughter for food is banned.

Anyone knows how it originated ? ;)

the ban was lifted last year but I think for export as food only.

Horse meat was cheap during WW1 & WW2 and due to depression and famine in Europe, people starting consuming horse meat, though such practice was prevalent in Italy well before that. And it got crossed over from Europe to US in time....

After browsing this thread and VCheng's steak, I feel like firing up my grill.....though almost 3 AM here..... :confused:

I have never seen except brahmins not taking Beef. Where I come from, We have Beef as a common food. cheap and Best. if Your North Indian Hindu Culture prevents You from Trying it, It is You who wants to have a introspection on Who is "extremist religionist" . I am a Secularism Supporter. I don't want Hindutva or Political Islam in My Country. It may be the way in Your region, it is not for most of Southern and Western India.

and I am telling the fact. Look at the number of cows in northern India. You have cows in even rural villages and these cows are seen roaming everywhere. and There are poor people in Up,Bihar,JH and similar states who will benefit if You use the old cows rather than sending it for a horrible ziba death in bangladesh.
No Stupidity please!

You don't know India at all. I am south Indian Hindu. And here except in Kerala we don't eat beef. And slaughtering cows is also against religious beliefs of Hindu's. Eating beef is not the answer to improving the lives of the poor people. Learn to respect other religions before faking as a secularist :angry:

Hindus are in majority in Hyderabad

Though Hindus form a majority of the population, Muslims have substantial presence across the city and are predominant in and around Old City. The other religious communities are Christian, Sikh, Jain, Buddhist and Parsi. Iconic temples, mosques and churches are housed in the city. Earlier to the formation of Greater Hyderabad in 2007, the Hyderabad city religious statistics of 2001 census are, Hindus (55.4%), Muslims (41.17%), Christians (2.13%), Sikhs (0.03%), Buddhists (0.04%), Jains (0.04%) and remaining others.

And no one is stopping muslims or non-hindus from eating beef...i live in muslim majority area where there are beef shops..one rite opposite my house..

But the topic here is- this Beef festival was conducted with one and only one reason, to hurt Hindus sentiments by struting that they are killing and eating an animal which is considered sacred to Hindus..Hindus are btw the majority in Osmania university

the ban was lifted last year but I think for export as food only.

Horse meat was cheap during WW1 & WW2 and due to depression and famine in Europe, people starting consuming horse meat, though such practice was prevalent in Italy well before that. And it got crossed over from Europe to US in time....

After browsing this thread and VCheng's steak, I feel like firing up my grill.....though almost 3 AM here..... :confused:

I mean do you know why the practise originated ?

AFAIK the ban is still in place, atleast in the bible belt.

I mean do you know why the practise originated ?

AFAIK the ban is still in place, atleast in the bible belt.

Horses could be slaughtered for meat

The practice as I said began in Europe due to the relative cheap cost of horse meat in times of famine and high nutrition value. It was mainly referred to as poor people's food, and same is applicable with its history in China.

Back
Top Bottom