What's new

B'desh steps up troops deployment on Myanmar border amid row

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ya there is a tendency of Indian about BD military that who they going to use that against. We have our troops deployed in more than 10 countries now. Our soldiers fought in first gulf war. Also we could use them against India when India attack us and take over Red Fort before they can even realize and make Al-Zakir the the helm of South Asian affairs.:D

Last edited:
But number of para commando in Bangladesh is not sufficient to mount attack behind Myanmar formation.

On side notes, few weeks back someone from Bangladesh military background posted here that Bangladesh tried to increase the para/commando strength in number but indian objected and obstructed the initiative. Can anyone recall the post? I have also heard the same from Bangladesh.

Yes,the number is not enough.Besides,we even lack the required C-130s to drop a large number of troops.

I don't recall any post as such,But I heard the reason why we do not have any Marine force is Indian objection.Marines are offensive troops,and I heard India have objection on that.
But recently we have seen some progress with the establishment of naval commando school last year.May be it will take a few more years to form Marine corps.

Who posted it recently I do not know. But, from the very beginning, India has been putting resistance in raising and strengthening two types of forces by BD, 1) Paratroopers, and 2) Commandos.

A couple of years ago,there was a news in the Indian media that Bangladesh army was performing an exercise,(the name probably starting with dex....,I do not recall it).
Now the scenario of the exercise was that,Bangladesh army commandos were performing unconventional warfare behind the enemy line,while logistical support was given to them by army inside our territory.

Indian media,to be precise some newspaper,was worried about the nature of the exercise.While from Bangladesh side the exercise was not even confirmed.

But, from the very beginning, India has been putting resistance in raising and strengthening two types of forces by BD, 1) Paratroopers, and 2) Commandos.
Can you share the link for this please?

Some of them were assigned secretly to train the new recruits. Now, India also knows about it, but cannot help it. ....

Was that a secret? ( :The Daily Star: Internet Edition )

BD armed forces already had trained para-troopers and Commandos from the Pakistan Army
I believe , Operation Jackpot, carries that distinction. (Operation Jackpot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A couple of years ago,there was a news in the Indian media that Bangladesh army was performing an exercise,(the name probably starting with dex....,I do not recall it).
Now the scenario of the exercise was that,Bangladesh army commandos were performing unconventional warfare behind the enemy line,while logistical support was given to them by army inside our territory.

Indian media,to be precise some newspaper,was worried about the nature of the exercise.While from Bangladesh side the exercise was not even confirmed.

Operation Dextrnor-2001

We do have para troopers.There's 1st para commando battalion based in Sylhet,If my memory serves me rights.
Here is one video.

[url="
- Bangladesh Para Commando Bn - 001[/url]

He is still right. We do not have para commando division only and Battalion strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not true, we have had spy satellites (TES) since early 00. Being telescopic, they were rather useless during night time or under heavy cloud. This was one of the reason, why this were useless in Kargil. And need for us to procur RISAT.

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | India's spy satellite boost

Al Jazeera English - CENTRAL/S. ASIA - India launches spy satellite.

Did you realize that Kargil skirmish took place at 1999? Now before wasting anymore of my time on responding your "Hanumanish ranting", I would suggest you to read post #511 because I indirectly addressed the core of the BS of that post. And finally IND used imported Bofors guns against Mujahideen force that came in limelight way before Kargil Saga. Remember the infamous Chika that was addressed at Rajiv Gandhi in Kolkata's wall,

"Johur Dadur Nati Tomi
Indu Mashir Sele
Bofors'er Ghoser Taka
Kothay Rekhe Ele?"

Ironically that reflected the typical "Bloody Indian" show.

Last edited:
Burmes Soldier : Hey mom, will be late for dinner. We are attacking Bangladesh today.
Mom: Be carefull mickey. But wont you attack them by Air?
Soldier: No, i just need to hide behind that bush and fire indiscriminately...that's signal enough for them Bangladeshi's to know that its war time.

So long, Bye Mr.Cosmatos
It's not Mickey but Modon Lal that had stolen Burmese army dress later to hide behind bush, Stupido! He wants to instigate BD-MIL by firing at us but we want to make sure that Junta hasn't permitted him.

We as usual opted for Chinese,HQ-7 or FM-90.MICA definitely has an edge over HQ-7.We lack the range and efficiency of MICA in FM-90.In fact our ground based SAMs also lack the ability to target high altitude threats.

About replacing oto breda,I remember watching a military documentary about an US destroyer,where they showed the accuracy of oto melara gun.The scenario was,the SAM system failed,so as the last point of defence,the gun came to action.It did have 100% success rate in that exercise.So I don't think it is too wise to replace it,in case the SAMs fail or are jammed by the threat.

Since we just finished the SAM upgrades,I don't think any new upgrades in regard to SAM will be done.We have to wait and see what the new frigates,which the Govt. is supposed to buy,have in them.
I hope we don't go for Chinese on this matter at least.
Hi Leon,

After reading your post and having careful thoughts, I have come to acknowledge that Type 054A type would be the best choice as our next Frigate with Turkish armaments in it, what do you say? Two of them would be complemented to the current inventory and those are for sale now. Price, political spectrum, reliable history of delivery and support has led me to think like that. What is your thoughts on that?

Indian media is almost free and have access to many delicate information. But, BD news media is not encouraged to ask questions about the national security matters. Perhaps they are scared of our DGFI guys, too. Somehow, DGFI has a lot of power.

The news reporters do not perhasps want to be seen by them as some Indian spy in disguise. A suspicion may bring very bad luck to any person. Even our political guys are scared of them. So, instead, these reporters keep on interviewing foreign Ambassadors in Dhaka. It is risk-free.

This is the reason BD newspapers either had little knowledge about that exercise you said, or they were instructed not to report. It can also be that, they passed the news to Indian media.

By the way, this time also, the BD-Burma border build up was first published in the Hindustan Times, and not in any BD paper. The HT reported a BDR buldup in that border because of tension. After that the BD papers picked up the news. But, how did they know? Idune, could it be a RAW connection?

:china: Wish they helped! I hate the AL, they suck with the whole Bangladesh defence thing.

Paratroops/Commandos Special Ops units can do very little if conventional forces are not up to the mark.That said we should have a brigade strength of Paratroops/Commandos.

we have got naval commandos we might utilize them as well.BTW,its dying down isn't it?or what?Warships still patrolling near the St.Martin Island?

The New Nation - Internet Edition

Myanmar hurt at taking maritime boundary dispute to UN: Troops movement connected with election, says envoy
UNB, Dhaka

Myanmar is disappointed as Bangladesh decided to take the maritime boundary delimitation issue to arbitration at the United Nations instead of finding a negotiated settlement, but ruled out any military move over the dispute.

As India and Myanmar have started developing their offshore resources, the Bangladesh government opted for arbitration, Myanmar Ambassador in Dhaka Phae Thann OO told UNB in an exclusive interview at a time when reports are ripe about tensions on the Bangladesh-Myanmar frontier.

"So, when Bangladesh has decided to take the issue of delimitation of our maritime boundary to arbitration at the UN, we were a little (bit) disappointed. Why? The talks are progressing. Why do you have to go to the UN? That is our point. So leave alone this talk of military buildup," he said.

"But, what I mean to say, we have an open, ongoing bilateral process on the issue of delimitation-and it is progressing. We should continue it. Only when the process has been exhausted without providing a solution, should we go for arbitration. That is again my personal opinion," said the diplomat.

He noted with happiness that the two sides are still going to have the next round of technical-level meeting, in Dhaka, in November. "Neither country has abandoned the process," he said.

At the next talks, they plan to raise the point of their disappointments over Bangladesh's decision to go for arbitration while the bilateral talks are on, and "progressing".

"We don't think it is necessary to go for arbitration. But whether Bangladesh goes ahead with it or not will be up to them. They are within their rights to do so, and we respect that," Phae Thann OO said.

Amid the blowing wind of pessimism surrounding the rivalries over the share of the disputed part of the Bay of Bengal, the envoy of the military-ruled neighboring country struck a high note of optimism about an amicable solution. "…one day, we'll have a mutually agreed settlement," he said.

About press reports that Myanmar mobilised troops along the border as a showdown in the wake of Bangladesh's efforts to explore gas in the bay, he said, "We deny this; this is not true in the context it has been reported."

He informed that the military government in Myanmar is faced with many problems as it is preparing for the elections next year. "To hold proper elections, you need the prevalence of law and order, you need peace and tranquility. Sometimes, we need to move the troops around from this area to that."

Thann OO further pointed out that Myanmar has insurgents all along its border, with almost every neighboring country-on the Thai border, the Indian border. "And on the Bangladesh border, too, and one of them is among those who call themselves this RSO or whatsoever."

Again clarifying their position on the row over military movements, he referred to Bangladesh's national elections last year when the caretaker government had to prepare the voter list and it had to maintain law and order. "Our military government is doing the same thing. The military presence is needed, for these tasks. Civilians cannot do it alone."

About border fencing-another moot point in the current diplomatic qualm-Thann OO said it is well within an agreement signed in 1980 between Bangladesh and Myanmar governments, which states that no fencing, no construction at all, can take place within 150 feet of the zero point, that is, the demarcated border.

"The fences we are putting up are beyond that (range). The fences, too, cannot be erected by local people, we have to bring in the army, make use of our military engineers. All these things are in preparation for the election and the subsequent transfer of power."

Talking about Myanmar's foreign policy, he said it is very much like Bangladesh's. "We're a very, very small country. Our foreign policy is based on five principles of peaceful coexistence. We are like brothers and sisters. We have no intentions whatsoever, and want to settle everything peacefully at the negotiating table."

On Rohingya refugees, he said this is an unfortunate issue between the two countries. "The so-called 'Rohingyas', for you of coursetfor us, they are Bengali Muslims. Now, the way we see it, if they are our citizens, they will not run away from our country, and our government also would take care of them. Over the years, we have been repatriating many of them also."

Referring to Foreign Minister Dr. Dipu Moni's recent visit, he said an agreement had been reached between her and their foreign minister that Bangladesh would provide them the latest, updated, list of the "Bengali Muslims".

"Then we would have to check whether they are really our citizens. The authorities in Myanmar will check the addresses and names, and other things to find out which ones are truly our citizens."

He said: Those who we find are our citizens we'll take them back, like we have done in the past. Recently, someone from your government notified me that they have already prepared the list. But we have not received it yet.

About bilateral cooperation, the Myanmarese diplomat appeared upbeat with regard to unlocking a vast potential through joint action and said that from Myanmar end, everything is on the table. "Every sector, you name it, holds potential for synergy between us."

The most important thing, he said, is road construction. "Once you have a road connecting Myanmar and Bangladesh, you can connect to our network. Then you can go up to Kunming, up to Bangkok, to Singapore, and of course, you can pass through Malaysia also.

"So the whole of Southeast Asia opens up to you. Then you can even go beyond Southeast Asia, and reach China, Korea, and even Japan!"

So when is the rumble in the jungle going to start ?

Does Myanmar , has a army or something that can be called a airforce?

Indian media is almost free and have access to many delicate information. But, BD news media is not encouraged to ask questions about the national security matters. Perhaps they are scared of our DGFI guys, too. Somehow, DGFI has a lot of power.

The news reporters do not perhasps want to be seen by them as some Indian spy in disguise. A suspicion may bring very bad luck to any person. Even our political guys are scared of them. So, instead, these reporters keep on interviewing foreign Ambassadors in Dhaka. It is risk-free.

This is the reason BD newspapers either had little knowledge about that exercise you said, or they were instructed not to report. It can also be that, they passed the news to Indian media.

By the way, this time also, the BD-Burma border build up was first published in the Hindustan Times, and not in any BD paper. The HT reported a BDR buldup in that border because of tension. After that the BD papers picked up the news. But, how did they know? Idune, could it be a RAW connection?

You have this back to front. A large section of the BD media is in the pocket of RAW so is necessarily distrusted by the military with such sensitive information. How come not as single TV channel or newspaper has reported on the third report on the BDR Mutiny? Probably because it explicitly makes allegations against India and RAW in the killing.

Back
Top Bottom